• Published 27th Oct 2020
  • 187 Views, 3 Comments

Ponyville Mystery - The Unremarkable Author



Everyone wears a mask. Some wear it well, while most wear it poorly.

  • ...
 3
 187

Prologue

"Another one?"

"I'm afraid so, Detective." The Chief stated. "Another foal disappeared early this morning."

"Let me guess..." The detective said, leaned back in her chair. "Have they attended the primary school in Ponyville?"

"What makes you say that?" The Chief asked, smirking.

"Lucky guess I suppose." She said, waving a hoof. "What's this about though?"

"Pardon?"

"Out of all the detectives in this division, why come to me with this information?" The detective questioned. "I know that we have better detectives here. Ones that could unravel this shit within a week."

"Well," The Chief started. "You're not the only one I've been telling this information to. This case has been going on for a long time, Thorough Search."

"Because of a lack of information, I get it. What are you getting at, Chief?"

"Well.." He shifted in his seat. "No offense, but you're the only pony in this division that could pass as a filly."

She tilted her head. "Wait, are you suggesting what I think you're suggesting?"

"If you're thinking that I'm going to send you to Ponyville and have you go undercover at the school, yes."

It took her a moment to recuperate. "That's fucking crazy, Chief." She smiled. "I love it."


"Could you repeat that please? I wasn't listening."

It had been several days since her and the Chief had spoken. Sometimes she wished she wasn't in the detectives division. It could be three in the morning, nine in the afternoon, or in the middle of a meal. It didn't matter. They'd still call you into work if you were needed.

The Chief sighed. "Sure, but I won't be saying this again, so pay close attention. None of the ponies at the school know your true identity. To them, you're just another filly that will be learning along side them. Not even the teachers know who you are. You will be known as Flora. You'll be going on duty in three days. All of your cases have been lifted for the time being and will be passed onto the other detectives in this division until you return."

He continued. "We haven't created a story for your new persona yet, so that'll be up to you. I'm probably forgetting some important details right now." He rubbed his chin. "Oh! Don't worry about the registration for the school, we already have that coordinated and all of the paper work has been taken care of." He shifted in his chair slightly. "There is one thing that'll be a little unconventional though."

"Whats that?"

After a moment of deliberation, he spoke. "We have ponies that will be coming to the station in a few days to cover up your cutie mark."

"What?!" She blurted out before she could catch herself.

"Yes, I know." The Chief said, holding up his forelegs in a placating manner. "It is questionable." The Chief stated and then took a moment to choose his words more carefully. "Well, your cutie mark tells other ponies what you do, right?" He explained. "From your cutie mark, I could either deduce that you like burning ink with a magnifying glass and the sun or that you've got a knack for fine details. If I were wary of the police, I'd assume the latter."

Thorough Search's brow was furrowed and her forelegs were crossed. She remained quiet.

"I'm sorry, Thorough Search, but we can't be taking any risks in this investigation. I'm sure you understand that we value your life and we'd hate to see you get hurt." The Chief stated. Thorough Search had her gaze locked on the floor at her hooves. She stayed silent for several seconds. The Chief spoke up. "Do you understand what I'm saying?"

"Yes."


Mist and dew coated the landscape, the sun barely visible on the horizon. On the outskirts of Ponyville there were a few houses. Most were storage sheds or shacks, but a few had just enough space and features to be considered safe for residency. Of these houses, only one had its lights on. A vacuum cleaner sat in the corner, still plugged in but not on. The carpet was stained in areas and dirty in others. Some patches of carpet looked like someone had tried to clean it, but gave up prematurely.

Thorough Search was in the bathroom, her horn letting off a teal glow. A few brushes and various bottles floating around her, seemingly acting of their own accord. One brush was rhythmically and carefully working on her light magenta mane while the other was doing the same on her tail. A notebook and quill took the majority of her attention, however.

There was a knock on the door, causing Thorough Search to jolt slightly. She quickly made her way to the door and opened it. Before her stood a tall stallion with a long coat, hat, and horn. He looked at her with a smile. Thorough looked the stallion up and down a few times before cracking a smile. "You look ridiculous." She said with a laugh. "Come on in, Pristine Sight."

The stallion chuckled a bit before walking into the house and closing the door behind him. He looked around the cramped house, taking note of the book bags, school supplies, papers, and a lunch bag. He poured himself a cup of coffee and plopped down in one of the chairs.

"So what's the game plan for today?" Thorough Search asked from the bathroom, still getting ready for the day ahead of her.

"We just go into the school like everyone else. Nothing too fancy." He said, pausing. "Well, that and we need you to get used to responding to your new name, Flora."

"You think I haven't studied?" Flora replied in mock offense. "Shameful, I tell you. Shameful."

Pristine leaned back in his chair and let out a little laugh. "Just going over my checklist to make sure we're not missing anything." He said, pausing to take a drink. "As for behaviour and how well you'll blend in with the children, I think you'll do fine. Effortlessly even."

Flora's only response being a small huff as she was still doing her mane.

Pristine took the time to look around Flora's new house while he sat in the chair. "What do you think of 'your' new house?" He said, putting air quotes for emphasis. Not like Flora would see them; as she was busy looking in the mirror.

"Little bit small, but I think that's a good thing. It's cozy." She stated, shrugging. "Just wish they would've sent someone to clean it before I got here." She said, lazily waving a hoof at the room.

"The disguise looks good though. Very pretty." Pristine said, looking at Flora. "B-but not like that." He stammered, waving a hoof. "Just saying that they did a good job."

"What?" Flora asked, tilting her head slightly before catching on to what he said. "Oh!" She said with a smile, looking back at the mirror and brushing her mane to the side. The unicorns in charge of her disguise gave her brilliant teal eyes, a pale magenta coat and a light purple mane. They were definitely very talented, much better than anything she could've done herself. "Yeah, they did a really good job. The eyes are my favorite."

Flora turned her head slightly towards Pristine, but kept her eyes mostly on the mirror. "What name did they give you again?"

"Blue Print." He stated. "I'm an architect."

Flora smiled and then looked at herself in the mirror. She gave herself a nod of approval. The brushes and bottles floated their way into an open drawer that she then closed. She was ready.