• Published 13th Aug 2017
  • 648 Views, 21 Comments

What Once Was - Chocolate Pony



The true story behind two life long enemies.

  • ...
3
 21
 648

A New Dawn

"Easier times. Weren't they, Celestia?" Discord asked, admiring the memories as they played out before him.

"Not always. They may have been somewhat kinder than most of the adult years. But they had their fair share of pain" Celestia replied.

"They also had their fair share of joy. Life in general has it’s ups and it’s downs. As you will see even more after you’ve been through these memories” Discord said.

Celestia’s head started spinning before everything went black. Upon awakening, she found herself back in her room. Only it was her room when she had become...an adult. Well close to it anyway. She was bascially a little older than a teenager. Her room was decoarated more like an adult though. In other words incredibly plain and simple. Which is saying a lot for a room belonging to a princess. Though, Celestia had never considered herself all that fancy.

Rising from her bed, she made her way to the bathroom mirror. Her teenage self was tall, but still had some growing to do. Her magenta eyes seemed somewhat brighter than before. Her bright pink mane was now long enough to sweep down her shoulders. For a mare who’d never considered herself all that attractive, she wasn’t too bad looking.

“Princess! You have a meeting in a few minutes!” Mandy, her new maid, exclaimed as she burst into the room.

“Thank you, Mandy. I’ll be there in a few minutes” Celestia replied.

Since normal ponies aged faster than Alicorns, Starla had long since retired. Probably even deceased by now. She had always been more than just a maid to Celestia, she was a beloved friend.

Sighing, Celestia exited her room. Trotting down the hallway, she passed many servants and guards. Rather than a casual greeting when she was little they now bowed before her. A feeling of insecurity rose into her chest. She had always hated how others treated her the instant she got to a certain age. Just cause she was becoming a powerful princess suddenly she was no longer worthy of a standard greeting? What a shame.

Celestia arrived at the meeting room, the guards pushing it open for her. She wasn’t sure what to expect but it certainly hadn’t been...this.

Her parents were sitting beside each other at the end of a long table. Luna, whom was now a little older than a filly, sat a few seats down from them. She looked just as confused as Celestial did. What was going on?

“Mother? Father? I was told there was meeting happening. What’s it about?” Celestia asked.

“There is something very important we must discuss with you and your sister. Something has come up” The queen said, her face void of emotion.

Celestia took a seat next to Luna. Her mother never had that look on her face unless she was upset or something very serious was happening. Her father’s glowing white eyes were practically embedding themselves in the two sister’s souls. A chill ran down Celestia’s spine. Her father was a kind and loving stallion but he could be very frightening at times.

“Your father and I must leave you both. In fact we must leave all of Equestria. Forever” The queen stated.

“What!? Why!?” Luna shouted.

“Because we are no longer needed here. We have done our jobs. It is time for Celestia and you to take over Equestria for us” The king explained.

Celestia’s heart began to pound in her chest. Suddenly the memory she was having became clear: This was the day her parents left. The day she officially became ruler over Equesteria.

“B-But, I-I’m not ready! I’m still so young and inexperncied. I have so much learning to do. I’m not even near finished with my magic studies. Starswirl says I-“ Celestia was cut off.

The queen had stood from her seat. She walked over to her daughter. Celestia flinched as though she expected to be struck. Instead, she felt a wing wrap around her. Her mother’s warmth enveloping her.

“Do not fear. Rest assured, you will rule over Equestria just as well as your father and I have. You have nothing to fear.”

The queen then backed away, standing beside her husband once more.

“Goodbye, my little ponies. We love you both so much” The king said, smiling slightly.

Tears were blurring Celestia’s vision, her throat sore from the lump she was holding back. Luna was openly crying so it was important at least one of them be strong.

The king and queens’ horns lit up, a ball of magic consuming them. Celestia and Luna had to look away to avoid being blinded. The last words ever heard from their mother, were these.

“Goodbye, my little sunshine.”



*******

Discord gazed boredly at the memory before him, tossing some popcorn into his mouth. He stopped for a second at the queens’ last words. That nickname belonged to Celestia and Celestia alone. Her last words to her daughters had only been directed towards one of them. The one who would become the most powerful leader.

Discord’s eyes landed upon young Luna. Celestia had silently left the room shortly after their parents’ departure. Presumably to go do some crying of her own. Luna’s eyes still had tears in them. But these weren’t the tears of one who’d just lost her parents. These were the tears of a pony who was bitter and jealous.

“Even then, she was already envious of her sister. And even then her sister was too naive to realize” Discord muttered to himself.

That selfish attitude would only lead to so much heartache and tribulation. But for now, Discord was content with watching the sun princess in her trivial teen years. Besides, soon she’d be reuniting with a beloved friend of hers.

Upon realization of this, Discord tossed more popcorn into his mouth. A small smile gracing his features. Now this, was where the real chaos began.

The chaos...of love.