• Published 12th Aug 2017
  • 43,070 Views, 4,216 Comments

No Nose Knows - Irrespective



An ancient law thrusts the Common and the Royal together over a pair of noses.

  • ...
46
 4,216
 43,070

30. - Understanding

Celestia, Princess of the Sun and Ruler of the Day awoke with a bit of a start. She yawned, smacked her lips, and then moved to boop her Bean.

She would have succeeded, too, were it not for the fact that Baked Bean had pulled his disappearing act yet again. She really needed to ask him how he managed to do that.

“Bean?” she called out softly.

A loud snore from Luna came in reply, and Celestia winced as she realized that neither of them had taken the anti-snoring pill last night. It was little wonder he had slunk out, because he was probably worried about long-term hearing damage.

She then bit her lower lip in playfulness. A game of hide and seek with her Prince? The idea had great appeal. But where would he have gotten to?

“Hmm,” she cooed. Perhaps he had snuck away to the north tower again. It would be familiar, and not too far away.

A quick glance at the clock told her she had thirty minutes before sunrise, which was more than enough time to find him and then smother him with apologetic kisses. After a playful giggle and a quick check in the mirror to make sure she was presentable enough to leave the room, she then moved out into the hall and off towards her prize.

The guards in the hallway offered a salute as she exited and began her search, and she nodded pleasantly to each one when she casually strolled by. She felt quite renewed, she realized, and all of the horrible symptoms of her illness from yesterday had cleared out. This burst of energy was a bit difficult to contain, but she didn’t want to tip off the whole palace to her motives and fun.

Once she reached the north tower, she gently and carefully eased the door open and peered inside. Sadly, there was no Bean, only an unoccupied room that awaited a guest. With a mischievous huff, Celestia pulled the door shut and then casually began walking to the next potential location: the kitchens.

“He could be making breakfast.” She considered the concept with delighted glee. “A nice omelette, maybe, or some delicious buttermilk biscuits.”

But this turned up no Bean as well. Chef Beet and her staff hadn’t seen him that morning, but she was kind enough to offer waffles and hash browns for the morning meal. Celestia accepted the offer with a graceful smile, and then resumed her search.

She really didn’t think he would be in the dining room, but she peeked in just to be sure and quickly confirmed her suspicions. She then moved towards the throne room with a bit more enthusiasm, the throne was comfortable enough to sleep on. She should know; she had dealt with so many long-winded petitioners after long and restless nights that she had finally taught herself how to sleep with her eyes open.

This, however, came up clear as well, and now she was growing eager and a bit concerned. She was confident he wouldn’t leave the palace, but why would he go anywhere else within?

“Perhaps he asked for a guest room—any guest room—where could rest,” she considered softly to herself. “Mm, but that would take the rest of the day to search.”

In the interest of time Celestia decided to cheat a little. She sent out a quick searching spell to locate what room he could have been placed in, but even this came back Beanless, and that moved Celestia into the worried category.

“Why would he leave?” she muttered to herself as she moved back towards her room. “Unless he got called away for something, but what could possibly…”

She then had a sudden realization, and she smiled deeply to herself. There was one other place he could be, somewhere somewhat quiet and yet close enough that he could respond quickly if he needed to.

“The balcony.”

She opted for a teleport spell this time, and she was quite pleased to find her assumption had been correct. Her marvelous Bean was near the far edge, his body facing east and his head near his hooves. Her poor husband had fallen asleep while standing, and Celestia imagined he was going to be a bit sore once she woke him up.

She giggled a little while sliding up next to him, and she started to gently nip at the base of his neck. His tail flicked, and a soft moan of happiness gurgled out of his throat, so she slowly began moving up towards his cheek. His head rose as she moved upward, and a pair of puckered lips awaited her once she reached the top. She took the invitation but teased him with just a quick peck, and he let a moan of sadness out before blinking his eyes open.

“Ungh?” Celestia attempted to make a word out of Bean’s moan before offering another light giggle. “I think that means you were expecting more?”

“I was,” he simply replied.

“Well, you impertinent stallion you, I don’t kiss just anypony,” she said as she retreated back and stood at her full height. She tried to look stern, but the playful smile that tugged at the corners of her mouth gave away her true feelings as she continued. “I am the Princess of the Sun, after all. I have very exacting demands, and no stallion has been able to measure up. I reserve my affection for those who are deserving of it, those whom I trust and care for. I refuse to let my royal lips—”

Bean wasn’t going to wait for her to finish her speech. He simply reared up, and in one swift move he locked his lips to hers and wrapped his arms around her neck. They stayed in this embrace for several long minutes, and when Bean finally did pull back Celestia fluttered her eyes open and gave him a deeply pleased smile.

“You keep sticking your tongue in there like that and you’re going to reverse the colors of my mane.”

“Ah, but I’m just brushing up on my diplomatic knowledge. I think the Prench enjoy kissing in this style, don’t they?” Bean asked.

“Indeed they do, but that is only part of a true Prench experience. Tu parles prançais, mon amour?” Celly quipped, her transition to Prench flawless.

But Bean was not to be outdone without a fight on this one, and he smiled deeply. “Un semestre à l’école secondaire. Et c’était pour impressionner une fille,” he said, and Celestia smiled deeply. His words were choppy, provincial, boorish, and he was speaking through his nose; but it was respectable for Equestrian standards at least. In time, he could stand up to diplomatic scrutiny, with some tutoring.

This was a prospect that made her extremely giddy.

“Pour une fille? Comme c’est romantique.”

“ça n’a pas vraiment… something… oh, whatever the phrase is for ‘it didn’t work out.”

“Quel dommage,” Celestia said softly. And her loss is my gain.

“Is that what it is? I haven’t really spoken it since then. I’m probably giving the pronunciation a slow and painful death.”

“Not quite that bad. You could pass as a better than average tourist, but for what we do I will need to—” she snuck in so close that her breath tickled the fur of his ear “—give you a few lessons.”

How her heart leapt when his breath hitched and shuttered at her words. It was a completely new and wonderful take on the phrase ‘hanging on her every word.’

“And how would you do that?” he whispered.

“I would start with your pronunciation. You should speak slowly but confidently, much like how you would add spices to a simmering pot. Each word should be finely seasoned and dressed, and served in the most delectable manner possible.”

“Could you give me an example? I always do better if I can hear it as opposed to reading it.”

Celestia took a brief moment to deeply breathe in the scent of her beloved, and with his unique blend of eleven herbs and spices on her mind, she offered her deepest and truest feelings to him. “Mon amour le plus cher, vous n’avez aucune idée combien j’adore votre passion et votre fièvre.”

“My dear, your whispered words taste like the purest golden honey to me,” Bean softly replied, and she giggled as she watched his hair stand on end and his face flush with pleasure before he continued “I have never realized before how the fullness of your syllables and the elegance of your tones set my world alight. Even your lilts, oh sweet harmony! How your lilts make me ache for you to say more.”

“Quand nous nous embrassons, je suis à nouveau une jeune jument ravie,” she cooed into his ear. “Tu me fais frémir et souffre pour ton amour. Dites que vous serez à moi.”

Celestia knew he had only comprehended half of her words at best, but the magic of her love in her voice more than made up for the gaps. He really could only offer one simple and breathless response to her.

“Oui.”

Her wings gently enveloped him in a deep, feathery bliss. “Ma moitié.”

His green eyes shone as deep as the waters on the coast of Mareseille back to her as he leaned close and simply stated, “Ma ange.”

“My stars, I am trying to get over being sick and I wake up to this.” Luna stuck out her wet tongue as she strolled up to them.

The moment was broken but far from forgotten, and the two lovers moved back to a neutral stance with a chuckle before her desired wing settled once again into its familiar place across his back.

“Well, you fell asleep in my room so it’s your own fault,” Celestia replied with another quick kiss for her prince.

“It probably is, so in the interest of not interrupting this moment any further—and to aid my own recovery—I’m going to lower the moon and then go to my bed. You two can do whatever you want, just leave me out of it.”

“We will, don’t worry.”

Bean simply watched as Luna took a few steps past them to do her work. She gave him a quick smile as she did so, and Bean felt his awe grow anew as her magic gently moved up and touched the moon.

“Celly?” he whispered while Luna slowly began moving her heavenly object below the horizon, “May I ask you something?”

“Of course. What is it?”

“Is the magic that you use to move the sun the same magic Luna is using now?”

“It is, but the technique is different. When I raise the sun, I have to use a more forceful and heavy touch, if you will. The moon is… oh, I hate to use the word delicate, but that’s really the approach you must take with it. If I hauled it up like I did the sun, I would fling it clear across the sky and the night would last for five seconds.”

“The moon is delicate, Bean.” Luna motioned with one hoof for him to come up to her. “Its purpose is to provide serenity and peace, introspection and revelation. There is a reason poets don’t use the sun when they speak of self discovery. In the day, one performs their labors, and their mind is consumed with the needs of the now. Night allows a pause, a moment to see beyond. The pressure of the day is lessened, and the mind is able to clear. Memories are more vibrant, and the pleasures of the past can be easily recalled.”

Her wing moved over the top of him, and as she finished floating the moon behind the mountains, she turned and gave him a smile. “And this works for all, be they pauper or princess. Thank you, Bean, for allowing me to see that again.”

“See what again?”

“Something I needed to see, a memory from long ago. Your love for my sister will have a far-reaching impact, whether you know it or not. Keep loving her, and you will bring about great things.”

He nodded with a hint of a blush, and Luna gave him a larger smile before releasing him. Luna then took flight, and Bean trotted back over to Celestia with a bit of a worried look.

“It is okay that she…?”

“That was a friendly hug, nothing more,” Celestia replied with a small grin. “You need not fear sharing the bed with the two of us again, unless we should come down with the flu in the future. This was simply her way of accepting you as family.”

“Okay,” he replied in relief. “I need a few lessons in that arena too.”

“I do believe I can help with that.”

“So may I safely assume at this point that you are feeling better?” he asked, as her wing again moved over him and gave him a squeeze.

“Mm, I feel marvelous.” Celestia purred while she lit her horn and began to raise the sun. “Thankfully, I think I caught the twenty-four hour version of the flu. I’ll still have Doctor Horsenpfeffer do a quick check to make sure, but I think she’ll say I’m just fine.”

“Good. I’m sure the staff will appreciate your recovery as well.”

“They’ll appreciate me not getting them sick,” Celestia said with a laugh. “But did you get any sleep at all?”

“Here and there. I wanted to still be nearby if you needed me, but between you and Luna snoring, I thought I’d wandered into a sawmill. Out here wasn’t so bad.”

“Not a very comfortable place, though.”

“Yeah, not so much.” He chuckled while the sun began to warm his ruffled coat. “But since you are feeling better it was worth it.”

“I will make sure I take three pills tonight to make sure you get the rest you need,” she said with a quick boop. “Do you feel rested enough to accompany me to breakfast?”

“I think I can handle that, yes.”

“Good. After that we’ll go over Wysteria’s notes and you can tell me all about day court.”

* * * *

Baked Bean was sure he was going to explode.

Really. He was going to literally explode.

All right, maybe not literally, but if she doesn’t say something soon…

“So, this is the only petition you looked over by yourself?” Celestia asked as her magic sorted the papers again.

“It is,” Bean whined. Celestia glanced at him with what he thought was a disapproving look before turning back to the papers.

“You came up with this all on your own?”

“Well, no.” he replied. “Wysteria and Discord helped me decide what to do,” he stated before righting himself. “But it was my call.”

“And Discord now wants you to attend his tea dates with Fluttershy?”

“Yes.” Bean cringed. “Depending on what’s happening here, of course.”

I will own up to my actions, no matter what.

“Hm.”

Baked Bean was not going to be able to take this much longer. His heart was racing in his chest, and he was fidgeting with his Celestial Crystal as if it was the sun itself. “I, uh… I did get permission for you to come too.”

“You did?” Celestia asked flatly, and Bean nodded. “You invited me as well. Huh.”

“Well as my wife, you are my immediate choice for a plus one at parties.”

Celestia offered no reply to this, and Bean’s willpower snapped.

“I screwed up, didn’t I?” he moaned. “I should have waited for you to recover. I shouldn’t have made the decision without you or Luna. I overstepped my—”

Bean’s rant was silenced when Celestia’s magic grabbed his muzzle. She then leaned in close to him and gave him a sugary sweet smile.

“Stop that. You did nothing wrong.”

“I didn’t?” he blurted as soon as her magic released him.

Celestia gave him a long and reassuring kiss before replying. “You did not. In fact, I think you did everything right.”

“Really?!” he asked with a small squee of delight in his voice.

“Indeed my love. You took all the facts into consideration, consulted with a trusted advisor, listened to your instincts, and used some remarkable diplomatic skills to turn an unknown factor into an asset. I’m actually really impressed that you managed to not only include Discord in your decision process, thus giving him a chance to be useful, but that you also managed to enlist his help. I’m not sure I would have even thought of that. With him performing some occasional surveillance on Miss Glimmer on top of your inspectors I believe the situation is under control. You did good.”

He stammered and twiddled his hoof, but Baked Bean was immensely pleased that his wife approved of his work.

“I think this calls for a reward,” Celestia continued with a sultry look.

Bean’s eyes shrank to pinpricks. “A what?”

“A reward,” she offered in a soft and seductive tone.

“Oh! Uh, well…” he stammered.

“Oh, don’t worry. I’ll be gentle.”

Bean started to go white, and when he spoke his voice was just above a whisper. “Gentle?”

“Yes.” She nipped his ear, brought her body close to his, and rubbed her neck sensually against his. It was electric, and Bean really thought he might pass out from joy.

“How much further do I need to take this?” she cooed. “I didn’t take you for a voyeur.”

“Voyeur? What?” he asked, but then he noticed that the Discord in the stained glass had just folded his arms tightly and pouted.

Oh, foo!” The draconequus grumbled before pulling himself out of the glass and taking solid form before them. “I thought it was an odd tonal shift from you. I should’ve known.”

“Any particular reason you are spying on on us?”

“Spying?” Discord scoffed. “Really, Celly. I could care less about all that mushy stuff. I just stopped by so I could hear you say it.”

“Say what?”

“That I did a good job,” he smugly said. “C’mon! Admit it!”

“Discord, you did a good job.”

“Now, I know you’re not used to saying that… wait. What?” Discord looked at her with a bit of confusion. “You just agreed with me without an argument. No conditional hedging. Not even any whining or pouting. You even sound... happy.” He folded his arms and leaned across the bushy hedge that stretched across the corridor. “You take all the fun out of it.”

“I don’t need to argue with you,” Celestia said with a smile. “You did do a good job, and thank you. Your advice to my dear Bean was thoughtful, accurate, and wise; and I do greatly appreciate your willingness to help keep an eye on this Starlight Glimmer. You proved to be a good friend to Bean when he needed you the most, and for that you have my most sincere thanks and deepest gratitude.”

“Oh!” Discord replied, and he tapped his chin in thought. “There’s something ponies say at this point, what was it? Something that means ‘thanks for the thanks.’ I know I know it. Starts with a ‘W,’ I think.”

“Welcome?” Bean offered.

“That’s it!” Discord held a blinking sign reading ‘Winner!’ above Bean’s head. “You’re welcome! Oo, what a fun word. I bet Fluttershy will love it when she hears me use it.”

“I’m sure she will,” Bean said with a shake of his head.

“Well, I do have to run, but if you need me again just give me a shout. I’m more than happy to give you some pointers. I did rule Equestria for a time after all.” Discord chuckled, snapped his claw, and disappeared. Once Celestia took another look around the empty corridor, she gave Bean a long nuzzle.

“That got a little heated,” Bean remarked.

“That it did.” Celestia gained a bit of a blush across her cheeks. “I’m sorry for leading you on, but ruse or not, you did seem… receptive.”

“Well… y-yeah.”

Celestia paused and looked at Bean earnestly. “What was that?”

“I don’t know,” he muttered, and his gaze went to the floor. “I just… I do, but…”

“Don’t worry about it, my Bean.” She whispered with a nuzzle to his ear. “When you’re ready. I am a firm believer in letting love progress naturally. For now, I am most content to simply have you. You have brought a joy into my life that I did not know I was missing.”

“And you have done the same for me,” he said softly. “I don’t think I would have ever found true joy if I hadn’t met you either.”

“Then be reassured, my Bean, that I feel our relationship is right where is should be. The love you give me fills me with light and hope, and I do not want for anything. You have brought me pleasure incomparable, and I have no doubt that you will continue to do so.”

“Thank you,” he whispered. “I don’t know that I’ll ever fully understand how I won your love, but if I have it then I am complete.”

“And for us, that is all that matters,” she said with a nuzzle and a nip on his neck. “And though I do wish we could remain here and whisper sweet nothings to each other I’m afraid we have that meeting with the Ministry of Peace in five minutes. But, perhaps we can discuss this more later…”

She nipped his ear, and he replied in turn with a nip on her jawline. They both then laughed and playfully began bumping their rumps against each other as they began the journey to their next meeting.

* * * *

Bean sighed in contentment as he walked through the gardens. The meeting with the Ministry of Peace had ended quite a bit sooner than anticipated thanks to an intern forgetting to bring the documentation Celestia and Bean needed to look over. Since they had time, they decided that it would be nice to take a stroll through the gardens. Wysteria had then stopped them just as they had left the interior of the palace with a few rescheduled items to go over with Celestia, and she had told Bean to go ahead and they would catch up.

He still had to admit that the gardens were spectacular, and a part of him wished he had grabbed his notebook so he could take another shot at describing the grounds, and maybe even those fateful sunflowers.

“Well, maybe I’ll try again tonight,” he told himself softly and with a chuckle. “Maybe I’ll be able to do it without having to stand in them.”

He then stopped abruptly. Just around a bend, and on a bench that sat across from the sunflowers that had changed his life, sat a pegasus with a yellow coat, a powder blue mane, and what looked like a trio of sego lilies on her flank.

“Sego Lily?” he asked himself. “I wonder why she’s here.”

He quickly moved towards her, eager to share the wild ride he’d been on since their last meeting and to see what had brought her back to Canterlot. Given how their last meeting had gone, he figured she would get quite the laugh out of the story.

Her eyes were closed and remained so as he approached, so he was able to unintentionally sneak up on her.

“Sego?” he called out when only a few feet remained between them. “Is that you?”

Her eyes shot wide open and her pupils immediately shrunk to pinpricks. “Baked Bean?” she groaned. “Figures.”

“Hey, how are ya?” Bean asked with a smile. “Didn’t think I’d see you again so soon.”

“And I really hoped I’d never see you again,” she bitterly shot back.

“I’m… sorry?” Bean reeled back slightly at the sudden verbal slap to the face.

“You were engaged to Celestia and yet you led me on like that?”

“Celestia? What—?”

“Is that some sort of game for you, toying with mare’s hearts and then casting them aside once you’ve had your fun?”

“Now, wait a minute.” His voice was soft and defensive. “It was never my intention to lead you along, or anything like that.”

There was a most hearty scoff for this statement, but Bean pressed on. “When I crashed into you, things were different. Celestia and I were strangers tied to a curse that we were both trying to get out of. When we learned there was nothing to cancel out the spell we had no choice but to go forward with the whole thing.”

“And you couldn’t be bothered to tell me?”

“Tell you?”

“Yes, Your Denseness. I stayed at the Shoe and Nail for another two days, remember? I waited for you.”

“You did?”

“Wow, and she still married you,” Sego muttered. “Yes. I clearly said I was staying. I even watched you come back and collect your things on your wedding day. I… I was hoping that… well, that you would come back, and that…”

She paused, but then her glare came back in full and with a razor-sharp edge. “Then I saw the news about your marriage. It wasn’t hard to put the pieces together, and you couldn’t even afford me the common courtesy of a proper break-up.”

“Break up? We had lunch together and walked around town. That’s hardly a relationship.”

“Oh, please. It wouldn’t have been that hard.”

“Sego, really. I can understand why you’re mad, and you’re right, I should have explained things to you.”

“If you’re trying to apologize then you can just stop right there. I’m not interested in your apology.”

“I’m just trying to explain what happened,” he said with a note of exasperation. “I’ll offer my apologies all the same, though. You can take it or leave it.”

“I’ll leave it,” she snorted. “You’re an insensitive clod.”

“Fair enough. I probably was in this instance.”

“Now, if you’ll excuse me.”

“Why are you here?” Bean asked as she stood, and the question made her stop.

“Why else would I be in Canterlot?” she threw back at him.

It took Bean a moment to recall what she had said before. “Your Grandma?”

“She passed away four days ago.”

“Oh,” Bean said softly. “I’m so sorry.”

“I doubt that. But thanks for the sentiment, I suppose. Anything else?”

“Just that I don’t want us to end our friendship like this, with you storming off in anger. I’d like to talk about what happened, and to help you through whatever it is you’re feeling.”

“Was there a part of you that had any interest in me, even in the slightest?” she asked in a small voice.

“Yes, there was,” he answered truthfully. “That night, when I returned to the palace, I actually wept over what I couldn’t have. I felt horrible that I couldn’t have you.”

Sego turned to face him fully again. “You’re not just telling me that, are you?”

“Honest to Luna, that’s the pure truth,” he replied. “I really thought we could have had something, before I found out I was bound to Celestia because of everything. Had that law not been in effect, I would have pursued you.

“But, if I hadn’t booped Celestia’s nose there was a good chance I wouldn’t have ever met you, either. The only reason I was where you were that day was because Celestia told me to check out the museum. It wouldn’t have happened otherwise.”

Bean allowed Sego to think this over for a moment, and then he continued. “If you want to be mad at me, that’s fine. But don’t be mad because the relationship didn’t work out. Even if we had been given the opportunity to try and be something more serious, who says it could have been? There’s a chance we could have hated one another. With things the way they are now, we can still be friends, or at least I would like to still be your friend.”

Sego sniffled and wiped her nose on her arm. “You should have told me what was going on.”

“I should have, yes. I won’t deny that.”

“You shouldn’t have led me on.”

“I’m still not quite sure how I did. I was being a friend, nothing more and nothing less.”

Sego paused, and her wings ruffled a bit. “I’m still mad at you.”

“You can be mad for as long as you like. But at least understand that whatever harm I inflicted wasn’t intentional.”

Sego’s gaze turned to her hooves. “I suppose I might have put more into what was between us than I should have. You were just the first stallion who ever treated me kindly. Most just think of me as some kind of… well…”

“Then they are dead wrong,” Bean offered. “You are more than whatever they thought, and eventually you will find the one meant for you. One of the greatest things I’ve learned from this whole mess is that the future might not be what you thought it would be, but there’s a good chance it can be something even better, if you let it. If Destiny has it out for me, then I’m sure there’s something for you too.”

“I don’t know if I can believe that.”

“I think you’ll be surprised,” he offered. “I know I was.”

Sego didn’t say anything back. Bean let a mental sigh go across his mind, and then he decided to have this end, one way or the other.

“I can introduce you to Celestia, if you’d like. I know she’d like to meet you.”

Bean smiled in happiness when Sego looked back up at him with a small grin. “You could? I’ve always wanted to meet her.”

“I can. I do have an in with her now, after all.”

“That was lame,” Sego replied with a small laugh. “Will it be awkward for you?”

“No. Celestia knows all the details of what happened that day. We’ve made our peace with it. Maybe now you can be at peace with what happened too.”

“I hope so. And I hope what you said is true. I just want to be happy, y’know?”

“We all do. The only problem is sometimes happiness isn’t where we think it’ll be, and we have to look for it a little bit.”

“And sometimes it comes up and smacks you in the face like a wet jellyfish.”

“Sometimes, yes,” he chuckled.

“Thanks,” she offered.

“That’s what friends are for.” He smiled, and they shared a hoof bump.

“Bean?” Celestia’s voice called out. “Who’s this?”

Bean smiled deeper as Sego Lily bowed before her princess. “My dear, this is Sego Lily. She’s been dying to meet you.”

Celestia offered a warm smile as Sego straightened. “You have? Well, I hate to keep you waiting! It is a pleasure to meet you too.”

* * * *

“I can see why you liked her,” Celestia remarked to Bean as she gently lowered the sun. “Sego is quite a nice mare. You would have done well if you had gone with her.”

“I suppose so.” He shrugged under her wing.

“Do you still think about her?” she asked gently. “Do you still think about what could have been?”

“No,” he instantly replied. Celestia gave him a curious look.

“No?”

“I hadn’t thought about her until I saw her in the gardens. I think it’s something like when I asked you if you thought about being a commoner. There’s no real point in doing so, since it’s not going to happen. I’d much rather spend the time thinking about you.”

“You are a shameless flatterer,” Celestia chuckled. “But I love it. You have my royal sanction to continue to do so.”

“Oh, really?” he asked, and he stood on his hind legs to draw closer to her ear. “Well, then…”

Celestia giggled as he nipped her ear, then began to whisper into it. But after a moment, her cheeks started to go red, and after another playful nip Bean whispered something into her ear that made her eyes open wide and her wings pop straight up and out with a pomph. She gave her amazed and slightly embarrassed look Bean’s full view, and he simply chuckled a little when he saw her reaction in its totality.

“I realized it when we were talking with Sego this afternoon. I know I’ve said I love you, and now I want to show you in a way that I haven’t yet.”

“Are you sure?” she asked. “I don’t want you to feel rushed at all. You don’t have to do this just to make me happy. I already am.”

“And I am happy with you as well, in a way that I could never be on my own. I would like to show you now, and I am as ready as you are.”

“Then we run the risk of the sun rising sooner than it should,” Celestia whispered to him.

“Let it,” he whispered back, and he began nipping in her mane. “Let it be as bright as noon, so everypony knows how deeply I love and care for you. Let it burn, let it soar. I never want any pony to ever doubt my true feelings for you, and I will never let you forget how much I care for you. I will be yours, forever and always, if you will be mine.”

“My dear, sweet Baked Bean,” she whispered back as she nuzzled his neck tenderly. “You will never doubt my love for you either. I will give you the one thing that I have never fully given to any other: my heart. It is yours, completely, to have and to keep.”

“Then I will treasure it beyond the stars and back again.”