• Published 13th Aug 2017
  • 921 Views, 35 Comments

Friendship is Failure #8: Teen Titans HSM V: Ways of Life - DakariKingMykan



Human Twilight Sparkle dreams of many students comings to Canterlot High, but they all have different views of life.

  • ...
98
 35
 921

Act 5: Insult to Magic

ACT FIVE

As the week progressed it sure was a strange ride.

The Js behaved themselves, not wanting to get into any more trouble, but they still acted as snobbish as ever, kept on dragging Terra around with them, and still Terra refused to budge about noticing how corrupted her so-called friends really were, as after school they often hung out and did other things together.

Dick and Kori, they shared many classes together, and often they would glance over at one another, which some of the girls found too cute, but if only one of them would make the first move towards the other.

Vic and Rainbow got along better than ever, especially in P.E and in computer studies, but their favorite subject was music. Rainbow played her guitar, and Vic showed made skills on the drums, making them rather a strong duet, just drums and guitar.

The goths, they weren’t really bad, but really hard to please. No matter what happened, they always had the same deep, dark demeanour. Even when something delightful happened, like on Friday when they were in fourth period Geography with Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy…

The students were handed back written reports they had made about fossil fuels. Fluttershy got a B-, and Pinkie Pie got a C. The two of them were not all that fond of fossil fuels; too dirty, depressing, and in Fluttershy’s case… “A bit scary...”

The goths, on the other hand, did very well on their reports, each getting an A. All they did was frown and nod at one another.


When class was dismissed and it was time to head for lunch, Fluttershy and Pinkie caught up with the goths. “You two did that well on the report?” asked Fluttershy.

“We love what fossil fuel does, and what it brings. So naturally we study hard about it.” replied Kato.

“Oh, you mean how they provide fuel and energy for the planet?” Pinkie giddily asked, “Oh, or even how it makes progress continue to provide wonderful new things and energy sources for us?”

“No…” replied Raven “We like it because coal and oil bring about the darkness, and natural gas smells like the unearthly… the dead… and the doomed.”

The two goths held hands while basking in such thoughts, which creeped Fluttershy a little, but Pinkie couldn’t take much more of this gloom and doom. “Ah, come on you two, there’s more to life than just all this darkness and horrors you deal with.”

“Perhaps there are…” said Kato “But that does not mean we are instantly interested. We prefer to stick with what we know. What we are accustomed to.”

Raven nodded in agreement, but Pinkie was determined to get them to break their traditional cycles. “You two really need to open up, try something new, and the best way to start is by smiling.”

The goths looked confused, “Smiling?” they asked.



“Yeah… nothing says anything like a big, beautiful smile.” replied Pinkie, and she broke out into a song, “Come on, everybody Smile.”

As the song progressed, the other Equestria girls heard it and joined in the fun and joy. Dick, Kori and Vic couldn’t help but join in as well, liking the song for its positive message.

Other students joined in as well, but the Js found the song lame. When Terra thought it catchy and bopping a bit to the music, it earned her scorn from the Js.

“Come on and Smile!” Pinkie sang.

“…Come on and SMILE!” and the song was over.

Many of the students were smiling as they went on their ways after the crowd broke up, but the goths remained as they were. “Ah, come, you two, can’t you buck up already?” asked Vic.

“Yeah, that was a great song.” added Dick.

“We know it was a good song, and we liked it...” said Raven. “We just don’t share in the enthusiasm, that’s all.” added Kato.

The others all sighed.

“Well, they are right.” said Sunset “Remember what we agreed on; we’re all different in our own ways.”

Everyone agreed to that, and they all headed off to lunch together.


That’s when things were about to get awfully hairy.

Jackie and Jillian were being ruder than ever, ordering Flash to go and get their lunched for them, but Flash finally took a stand, “Get it yourselves! I’m not your slave.”

The girls gasped in shock, and before they could protest, Flash picked up his guitar case, “I’ve got to go, I promised my band we could practice a bit today at lunch.” and then he left.

“Rude much.” sneered Jackie.

“What are we supposed to do now, starve to death!” whined Jillian.

Terra couldn’t stand much more of the complaining, and got up to go get her own food. “What do you think you’re doing?” asked Jackie.

“Going to get food; what else…?”

The Js were outraged, feeling Terra was stepping out of line because they felt popular girls deserved to be waited on…

…Much to the ire of the other students.

“Those two are extremely unethical.” snubbed Rarity “I’m glad to see that both Flash and Terra have started to build will against them.”

“Well that’s a good sign, especially for Terra.” said Kori, “It means she had potential to be helped.”

Suddenly, Dick’s stomach gave a huge growl, and everyone noticed he had no lunch in front of him. Nothing other than a bottle of water, “Well, if that don’t sound like a pit that needs tankin’ up.” said Applejack, “Aren’t you going to get lunch?”

Dick shamefully admitted, “I left my wallet behind at Sunset’s place. We did some early morning studying for a test we had, and it slipped my mind. I honestly thought I had it with me.”

Kori looked down at her lunch, and realizing she had two huge sandwiches, “If you’d like you can share my lunch.”

“Really…?” Dick squeaked, “Er… I mean uh… really? You’d do that?”

“Sure, it’s what friends do, and Rarity showed me a lot about being generous… more than ever actually.”

Rarity blushed.

Unable to refuse, Dick graciously shared in the lunch, to which the others all felt was a great sign foe both of them, but they didn’t bother to tease and proceeded to eat.


While no one was looking, Twilight broke a few bits of bread off of her roll and slipped the crumbs into her knapsack for Spike to munch on. “Finally! I’m starved!” he groaned.


“Who said that?” asked Raven.

“Huh? Who said what?” asked Twilight; she felt a little nervous.

“I could’ve sworn I just heard someone say “Finally! I’m starved!”

“I heard it too.” said Kato.

The Equestria girls all felt nervous, feeling another cover break coming, not to mention Twilight being caught with a pet on school grounds. “Finally, I’m starving!” Fluttershy suddenly growled, she almost sounded just like Spike, “Did it sound like that?”


Her fib worked, and the Murakamis bought it.

“Good one.” Rainbow lip-synced at Fluttershy.

Twilight and Fluttershy sighed in relief, and everyone went back to lunch.

As Terra walked back to her table with a tray of food, she stopped at one of the windows and looked through the glass. She could see Garfield, sitting under a tree, with no lunch, not even a water bottle, and she didn’t recall him eating at all since lunch period began.

Then she watched him get up and take a very long drink from the outside drinking-fountain, and then he held his stomach and made a sickly face, the kind you’d do only if your stomach really hurt.

He was obviously starved, and she decided to go out and share some of her lunch with him. She was about to step outside, when the Cafeteria Workers, Mr. & Mrs. Cake cleared their throats and pointed to the sign which showed that lunch-trays were not permitted outside.

“Can I get this to go then?” she asked.

Soon, her lunch was bagged in a brown paper-sack, and she headed outside. Sunset saw her, “Now where’s she going?”

Jackie and Jillian saw her too and looked out the door, seeing her headed towards Garfield. Both of them were shocked to figure she was actually going out there to feed him?!


Garfield was sitting back under the tree, away from any and all other students, and he had another one of his dizzy spells, but shook himself awake… barely.

“Garfield…?”

He looked up and saw Terra there offering him an egg-salad sandwich.

“What are you doing?” he asked rather gruffly. “You looked hungry so I brought you some food. I know you’re a vegetarian, it’s got no meat in it.”

Garfield merely turned away from her, “Thanks but no thanks. I don’t want your food.”


The other students saw what was happening from the window by their table. “Uh-oh… I think I smell trouble.” said Dick.

When they saw Garfield turn away from Terra again, rejecting her offer of kindness, Rainbow snapped “That’s it…!” and she got up and marched straight for the door.

“Rainbow!” cried Sunset.

“Come on, let’s go.” said Vic.

The Js couldn’t resist either, if trouble to be involved, so they followed them.


“Just leave me alone!” Garfield sneered. Terra finally lost her patience, “I can’t believe you! I come out here to offer you kindness and you brush me off? What is with you?”

“That’s just none of your business! Okay?”


“Garfield!” shouted Rainbow “Knock it off!”

Garfield was more annoyed than ever when she and everyone else approached Terra, defending her.

“Well, well, what’s the baby crying for now.” Jackie teased.

“I’ll be his mommy didn’t give him his bottle this morning!” added Jillian.

Garfield, clenched his fists, but it was Terra who scorned them, “Will you two shut up?!!” she scorned. The Js fell silent and gawked at her. “You’re not making things any, easier you know!”

Even the others were astonished, the way Terra was standing up for Garfield after he had just rebuked her kindness.

“Well, you’ve got a mouth on you.” said Jackie. “Yeah, where do you get barking at us like this?”

“Look, I’m just saying we don’t have to insult everyone here.” replied Terra.

Sunset stepped forth, “She’s right.” And then she turned to face Garfield “All she was trying to do was show you kindness, maybe even a bit of friendship… which I think you could use a lot of, Garfield.”


“Give me a break!” Garfield scoffed, “That’s the last thing I need; people trying to be my friend.”

“How can you say that?” Dick asked. “Look at all of us…” added Kori as she motioned at the Murakami’s and the Equestrian, “We’ve all become good friends, and we’ve helped each other a lot?”

Everyone nodded in agreement, and Twilight stepped forth, “Garfield, you didn’t even come to my place all week, and my folks are really worried about you, and so am I.”


Sunset spoke again, “Garfield, I don’t know where you get this entire bad attitude from, but you really ought to give friendship a chance, because I gave it a chance, it’s the most special kind of magic.”

Garfield, unmoved by all of this simply looked down, “Friendship isn’t my thing. It’s just stupid and a complete waste of my time that won’t get me anywhere!”

The Equestrians all gasped in outmost horror, and Rarity felt faint.

“You don’t consider… anyone… your friend?” asked Fluttershy.

“No, I don’t!” replied Garfield, “And by the way… there’s no such thing as magic!”

The Equestrians gasped again.

“…Anyone who believes in such stuff is just plain pathetic!”

Rarity, overwhelmed by the insult, fainted into Applejack’s arms. Fluttershy and Pinkie had tears in their eyes. Twilight and Sunset were so outraged they couldn’t speak both out of shock, and due to the fact they couldn’t reveal the secret.

Even the goths felt insulted, as they believe in Dark Magic, which wasn’t exactly the kind they worshiped, but still. “Wow… that hurt.” Raven simply said. Kato nodded.

“Yo man… that’s hitting way below the belt!” snapped Vic, but Garfield simply snuffed, still unmoved and showing no remorse.

Rainbow completely lost it. “Okay, that does it, pal!” she shouted at him “I think it’s time you learned some respect! So I’m challenging you!”

An ominous silence filled the entire yard as other students all over gawked over in the direction of Rainbow.


“Remember our soccer-match? We never got that last point. What do you say we finish it?”

“Rainbow, no.” said Terra.

“Yeah, it ain’t worth fightin’ over.” added Applejack.


The Js however felt different and urged Rainbow on.

“Yeah, go on!”

“Teach him a lesson!”


As for Garfield, he smiled wickedly, “Fine. I’ve got nothing better do… other than watching you make a fool of yourself.”

Rainbow was quivering furiously as she gnashed her teeth and steam shot out of her ears. “It is on!”

The others could all see there was no stopping this now.



The long soccer field was cleared, every other student around heard about the faceoff, and Vic offered to serve the ball again. “Remember, first to score wins it all.” he reminded them. Garfield ignored him, knowing fully well what the terms were, and Rainbow… she was so ticked off, and so determined to get back at Garfield she practically saw nothing else than Garfield, the field, and the ball that Vic threw in.

Garfield got the ball first and dashed up the long field. “So much for friendship and magic!” he taunted.

Outraged, Rainbow dashed down the field… rather faster than usual, propelled by her rage. “You’re not getting away from me!” she called, and she leapt high up and over right in front of Garfield, stealing the ball from him.


The Equestrians cheered for Rainbow, as did the other Canterlot students spectating. But the Murakami were astonished by Rainbow’s speed and suddenly swiftness.

“Wow! That girl can really move…” said Dick.

“How is she doing that?” Kori wondered.


This warranted some sudden worry in the Equestrians. Knowing Rainbow, she was doing all this out of loyalty for their gang’s belief and strong holding in magic and friendship, and they all knew what happened when either one of them gave into their specialties…!

The Js sat in the back recording everything on their phones, and they both were rooting for Rainbow hard.

“Almost there!”

“You’ve almost got him!”


Rainbow was getting closer and closer to the goal post. “Looks like it’s just about over!” she called back at Garfield, but in her cockiness she kicked the ball a little too sharply, and instead of going into the goal, it bounced off the side post, straight back towards Garfield. He intercepted it with his chest and dashed for the other goal post.

Rainbow spun on her heal and dashed after him “I’m not going to let him win!” she said to herself “I’m not going let him mock my friends, or the magic we share!”

She was almost there, and about to steal the ball away, when suddenly… the sides of her head began to sparkle as her magical pony-ears slowly began to appear!

…Much to the horrors of her friends, and to the shock of the Murakamis.

“What the?” cried Dick.

“Do you see…?” added Kori.

Vic, the goths and Terra gawked in puzzlement trying to see what the strange sparkling was near Rainbow’s head.

The Js lowered their phones in astonishment. They didn’t blink their eyes and their mouths hung wide open.


“Oh, no…!!” Sunset murmured. The others all whimpered nervously, and as for Rainbow… she realized what was happening and she stopped dead in her tracks, quickly making the pony ears disappear before they came fully into view!

Unfortunately, it cost her as Garfield gave a huge kick and scored the goal! Much to Rainbow’s crushing disappointment, as well as the disappointment of the other Canterlot spectators.

Rainbow fell to her knees in angry shame while Garfield, whom didn’t notice the magic happening, put his foot on the ball and softly kicked it over towards her, “It’s over… when I win. So much for friendship and magic…!”

Rainbows friends, and the Murakamis, except for the Js, ran out onto the field to Rainbow’s side. “Rainbow, are you alright?” cried Fltutershy.

Rainbow couldn’t answer. She was far too upset and ashamed with her loss, despite she had good reasons to lose, but she couldn’t reveal why.

“It’s okay, Rainbow… you gave your all.” said Dick.

Vice bent down and put his hand comfortingly on her back, “Come on, girl… don’t let it get you down. You’re still number-one to me.”

The friends all gave their comfort and support to Rainbow.

“You see, Garfield…?” said Sunset “This is what friendship can do, and what it means to be a real friend.”

Garfield, unmoved as usual, simply scoffed, “If by real friend you mean “Being Pathetic” I’ll pass.”

Rainbow felt worse than ever, “Don’t you ever have anything nice to say?”

“What do you want me to say? I’ve got nothing nice to say to a loser.”

“What?!” snapped Rainbow. Everyone was frightfully sore with Garfield for the way he had behaved, but fighting would only make things worse.


As Garfield walked off, he felt another weary-spell get him partially due to not eating and burning off all that energy; the attack so severe this time that his head ached. Everyone watched in concern as he clutched his head.

“Garfield…?” cried Terra, but Garfield suddenly shook himself awake. “It’s nothing! I’m fine!” he grumbled, and he took another very long drink of water from the fountain, and then he went off.

“What a jerk!” Raven grumbled. “May the curse of a-thousand demons wat him alive!” added Kato.

“Come on you guys, cut it out.” said Twilight “You’re not really helping.”

Rainbow was helped up onto her feet, and the girls helped her back into the school as the bell rang for next period.

The Murkami students felt badly for her, but they still wondered about that strange sparkling they had seen. Though, now was more than not the time to ask about it, since Rainbow was so down. So they decided to wait on it.


The Js, however were looking down at their phones at the video recording they took, and were viewing the precise moment when whatever happened occurred. “There, pause it!” said Jackie.

Jillian then zoomed in on Rainbow’s head where the sparkles were coming in. At such close range, the pixels made it hard to figure it out, “What do you think it is?” she asked.

“I don’t know…” replied Jackie “But I think we just hit the big time here.”

Her friends agreed, and they uploaded their videos and pictures to a special private network. The images were transmitted, via a special satellite, to the people on the zeppelin.

“What do you think it is?” one of them men asked, “Perhaps it’s just reflected sunlight?”

“No, it can’t be…” said his wife, “Look, you can clearly see something forming under this light. Now, watch this…” she switched the video to another scene where Rainbow was running and then suddenly stopped. “First you see the sparkling… and now… you don’t.”

All four of the adults were most please. “It looks as if the girls have confirmed our theory.” the other man said, “There is something magical about that school, and to think, I used to scoff at ideal of such stuff.”

His wife agreed, “Well then, that’s phase-one complete. Shall we move on to phase-two?”

“At once…!” the other man said “Soon we’ll have all that we need, and then… the real deal begins.”