• Published 14th Jul 2012
  • 2,017 Views, 17 Comments

Teaching - emerl1000



Rainbow teaches Applejack the fine art of slow-dancing.

  • ...
4
 17
 2,017

Teaching

Teaching


What’s taking her so long? Rainbow thought as she stood outside Applejack’s hotel room with a yellow braid wrapped around her hoof. After pulling off a perfect rainboom at the wedding she was bursting with pride, even more than usual. She felt as if she could accomplish anything, everything even! That was, everything but tie her mane back up. While Rarity was the more practical and most trained of her friends when it came to appearances, Applejack was the only pony she trusted to lay a hoof on one colorful strand mane. Besides, it was a nice excuse to get a second alone with the mare, something she’d been dying to do since the whole crazy day had started.

A crazy queen, a thousand or so changeling clones, and a failed takeover; this day was almost perfect. The only thing missing was a little interaction to indulge her hopeless infatuation. “I need you to fix my mane again!” the pegasus pressed her forehead against the door in exasperation and groaned. Faintly, she heard music playing on the other side, a slow song. Is she . . . dancing with somepony? The thought twisted her gut, tugged at her heart, and even made her queasy all in the course of a nanosecond. And even after that she couldn’t really wrap her mind around it, the idea of Applejack dancing to a slow song with what had to be a stranger too absurd to believe.

Unable to control her curiosity, Dash silently opened door and peaked in through the small crack. To her surprise Applejack was indeed dancing. The orange mare swayed across the room in awkward, ungraceful little steps, trying desperately to balance on her hind legs with that green and red gown moving with her. She was missing something though, something the feathered pony immediately picked up on. There was no partner, no pony for her to follow or balance on. Rainbow found it funny and cute, if a little sad. She stood there for a minute, watching as the farm mare stared into what the pegasus guessed were supposed to be the eyes of the non-existent pony. With every little tumble Applejack took she mouthed the word ‘shoot’, never making an actual sound, and rose back up to do it all over again.
Rainbow made no attempt to cover her laughter when she opened the door. “Hey AJ, you enjoying yourself?” she asked as said mare took another tumble.

Applejack picked herself up off the floor, face so red that she began to look like an apple. Slowly her look contorted from that embarrassed, lip biting form to one of anger and fury, but that color didn’t lighten any. “There’s a lil’ somethin’ called privacy Rainbow, ever hear of it?” Applejack shoved past the giggling pegasus and slammed the door.

“Sheesh, you were just dancing, not like I walked in on you . . .” Dash hushed, finding herself return to the thoughts she had when she was alone. Sensing the orange mare’s patience growing thin, the pegasus immediately pulled the attention away from her unfinished statement. “Don’t get me wrong though, it’s a stretch to even call it dancing, more like violent shaking.” She trotted to the record player, lifting the needle and halting the music. “What the hay are you doing anyway, dancing in here all alone? I mean there are plenty of ponies looking for a dance partner.” Rainbow considered suggesting herself, sure that she could play it off as a joke if it scared the farm girl, but shook her head and moved away from the part of her brain that craved Applejack.

“It’s none of yer business!” barked the orange mare, startling the pegasus.

“Has that ever stopped you from telling me something?” she asked, giving the pony with the swirly blond mane an intense gaze. Applejack matched it with the same fierce eyes. Usually this display could last quite a while, especially if uninterrupted, but neither could take the other seriously in their dresses. The frilliness had taken away all intimidation and saved some wasted time. Knowing this was going absolutely nowhere, Rainbow pulled out the final trick, one of her favorites. “You know I came here to ask for your help, not learn how much you don’t trust me. Forget it, I’ll just ask Rarity.” The pegasus pushed the earth mare aside and slowly moved at the door, waiting for the guilt to work into her friend’s gullible mind.

“Rainbow wait,” Applejack sighed, pulling Dash back. “Give me the braid and sit down.” She ordered, taking the yellow tie from Dash. The winged pony smiled, always glad to see the effectiveness of the guilt trip. Rainbow did as instructed and sat with her backside to the orange mare, feeling the tugs and pulls as Applejack twisted and tied her mane.

“So, why were you dancing in here all alone?” the pegasus pressed, certain that if she continued she’d get her answer.

“Ah was practicin’.”

“For what, it’s not like you need to. I’ve seen you dance Applejack, you’re fantastic.” Rainbow stiffened up, afraid she’d just given too big of a compliment to her crush. “Except for whatever it was you were doing a second ago, that was horrific.”
Applejack chuckled, “Yeah, Ah suppose that was a heck of an eyesore. Don’t go misunderstandin’ me Rainbow, Ah know how ta dance. You won’t find a better line dancer this side of Equestria, but when it comes to slow-dancin’ Ah have four left hooves. All finished.” She gave Dash’s hair a firm tug, yanking the cyan head back a bit.

“I could give you a quick lesson, if you’d like.” Rainbow nominated as she rubbed the back of her head. She held back a hopeful stare and prepared for the obvious response.
Applejack’s eyes grew wide as she shook her head, disbelief in what she’d heard; a pony as rough as Rainbow would never want to slow dance, let alone to nominate it. ”Come again?”

“I . . . I could teach you to dance, if you’d like to I mean.” She spoke, a significant lack of confidence this time around. Now more hilarious than surprising, the earth mare busted up, nearly falling onto her back as she gripped at her sides. “I’m serious, you wanna learn to dance or what?” she mumbled, suddenly doubting herself. This idea was clearly a stupid one, one not given a decent-enough time to be considered. Maybe she could just walk over to the door, wait for the denial, banter a bit and walk out.

“An’ you know how ta slow dance?” the orange mare asked as she calmed down. Rainbow Dash nodded, more than a bit embarrassed as she slowly moved to the exit of the room.

“It was a requirement at the flight academy.”

“Why would a bunch of pegasi need ta learn how ta slow dance?”

“We had proms too, besides it’s not that big of a deal. You just need a nice balance and a steady partner.” She stood outside the door, prepared to trot down the hall, kicking herself with every step she’d take. “Last chance, yes or no?”
Applejack hesitated, “Fine, show me.” Dash lit up in excitement at the begrudging acceptance, but quickly pulled it back to a more indifferent look. The pegasus stepped back over to the record player and pressed the needle down, letting a smile slip her defenses. It didn’t matter, there was no way Applejack could see her delight. A wave of instruments began to play as she returned to the earth mare, who Rainbow could’ve sworn was shaking. “Okay, so which type do you want to learn? The nuzzling, four hooves one or the balance on two legs one?”

“Two, Ah don’t want a stranger that close ta mah face.”

“Alright, stand up.” She instructed, working onto her hind legs with the assistance of a few flaps of her wings. Applejack took a bit longer to get her balance, wobbling back and forth until the pegasus steadied her. “Now the trick to this style is pure balance, don’t be afraid to lean on your partner for support, that’s why they’re there.” Rainbow wrapped her fore arms around Applejack, feeling the leather saddle of her gown that rested a few inches above her tail. “You alright?” the pegasus asked, sensing the earth pony stiffen up.

“Yeah, Ah’m fine . . .”

“Clearly,” she gave a small smile of disbelief. “Now I’ll take the part of the stallion, all you have to do is wrap your hooves around my shoulders and follow.” The orange mare barely touched the pegasus’ coat before pulling her hooves back.

“Maybe this ain’t such a good idea.” She muttered, to no avail.

“I’m going to do a simple sidestep and lead you around.” Dash explained, determined to keep the poor mare close. Applejack’s mouth hung open as the cyan pegasus moved back and forth across the red and gold carpet. Soon she was mimicking the cyan hooves, stepping in time with her partner “Next is distance. It says a lot; for instance if the stallion – or mare – you’re dancing with is just a friend then you’ll be at least a foot apart. Like how we are right now.” Applejack glanced at the space between them, nodding as the information went into her ears. “The closer you are, the more serious you are.” Rainbow pulled the tense mare closer, bodies pressed tight together. Apple bucking sure had its benefits, the farm mare’s firm and skinny stomach being one of the best examples. There was barely any space between their faces. “It can mean a kiss, or something . . . more intimate.”

“Ah ain’t lookin’ for intamcy, Rainbow.” The orange mare clarified as she stared down at her two hooves.

AJ’s flank was just a few inches lower from where her hooves were, would it be too much to trip a little and ‘accidentally’ grip it? No, that line wouldn’t be crossed, unless a slap to the face was how she wanted the night to end. What did Applejack just say about intimacy? “It’s fine to look at your hooves when you start, but once you have the rhythm you should focus on your partner.” The pegasus instructed, hoping that those green eyes would meet her own. Rainbow moved her around the room in a large counter clockwise pattern. “That’s about it, simple.” Dash squeezed Applejack just a little tighter, producing a small stutter from the mare. She stared into Applejack’s emerald orbs whenever the farm mare glanced up from the ground, hoping for some information or clarity other than fright.

Applejack looked at the clock above the door, unwrapping from Rainbow’s shoulders. “We should get goin’ if we don’t wanna miss the party.” She explained, flashing a nervous smile and lightly pushing away. Dash understood, aware that she couldn’t hold onto the pretty mare any longer. Four minutes, that was all she was given, two hundred and forty measly seconds that went by in half that time. She released Applejack and fell back onto all four hooves with a slight groan and a slouch in her posture. “Thanks, Ah appreciate ya takin’ the time ta help me.”

“You know slow dancing isn’t really a requirement here though right?”

“Yeah, but this awful cute stallion asked me ta dance with him tonight.”

The pegasus could feel a sharp, cold dagger pierce her chest. She ignored it the best she could and thought of some reply to that piece of information. “Oh,” was all she could squeak out.

“What about you, anypony fetch yer eyes yet?”

“Yeah, but . . . it didn’t work out.” She spoke solemnly, her hoof rubbing at the carpet.

“Rejected huh?”

“In a way,”

“He doesn’t know what he’s missin’.” Applejack patted the pegasus’ back, though it did nothing to comfort her. “Well don’t threat, tonight Ah’ll be yer wingmare. Jus’ point ta the first stallion that catches yer eye an’ Ah can guarantee he’ll be eating outta yer hoof by the end of the night.”

“As . . . awesome as that sounds, I’ll have to take a rain-check.” She declined, giving a horribly false smile.

“Ya sure? Ah could’ve sworn Ah saw that Soarin’ fella makin’ eyes at ya.”

“Right, but . . .” she stalled, so many ways to phrase her disinterest. “I’m not really into stallions Applejack, but if you’re ever bored I’m always up for another dance.” That sentence just kept flashing through her head, tantalizing her. It was the brutal honesty she was known for, but she wasn’t capable of following through with it. “I’m not feeling too well.” She settled, rubbing at her head to feign aching. “Do you mind if I stay behind and lay down for a bit, I mean if you trust me alone in your room?”

“Course, jus’ shut the lights off on yer way out, kay?” Rainbow nodded and watched as Applejack walked out the door. “Ah hope ya feel better soon sugarcube,” she waved, silently closing the door. The earth mare sounded legitimately concerned, and it was all because of one more lie. Dash hated herself for that and vowed to make it up to farm mare, maybe by helping out on the farm.

Well, maybe she didn’t feel that bad.

The pegasus felt like she could punch through the wall in frustration, and that’s just what she tried. Not exactly through, though she did leave a decent little dent in the wall, acknowledged by her now aching hoof. Still, she at least got a dance out of it, something she had only dreamed of. It took a bit of the sting away. Groaning and rubbing at her somewhat bruised hoof, Dash glared at the record player. “This is your fault,” she growled. The cyan pony shut off the lights and slammed the door, so roughly it swung right back open, raising her anger yet again.

She raised her hoof at the door, teeth gnashed, and prepared to hit the door. She stalled, hoof shaking as it hung in the air, and took a deep breath before lightly pushing it closed. If only she got some hint from Applejack, something other than nervous squeaking, trembling, and a lack of eye contact. Maybe then she wouldn’t be so angry. Either way all she could do was mumble to herself that this was Twilight’s night, it was her brother’s wedding and it would be all smiles and games that most ponies probably wouldn’t remember the next morning. But the moment she just shared with AJ would be burned into her memory for fond reflection, no matter how much partying she’d be doing over the next few hours.

Comments ( 15 )

I liked it. I will say it needs the sad tag or changing complete to incomplete and adding another chapter. I never like getting an unpleasant surprise, even a mild one like that. I dunno. Maybe it hit a little hard for me as I've been in the same shoes as RD before, so it called up a little more emotion than was normally applicable.

Still thumbs upped, and still a good story though.

fwe

>Sees description...
.
.
.
Kewl.

Well I liked it, nothing wrong with an Appledash story, curious to see who Applejack is going to dance with though, I can't help but feel that the next chapter will not end well for him. There is going to be a next chapter right?

damn you, this could've made for an awesome AppleDash story but you just had to tag this complete huh?

where can i find part 2 ? ^^ good read

Somepony doesn't have to be gullible to be successfully guilt-tripped. (Although in this specific case, it helped.) :applejackunsure:

Still, Dash at her most opportunistic is always worth a read, and this was handled nicely.

Cool. Can't wait for the next chapter :twilightsmile:

Wait. Complete?


Dammit. :fluttershysad:

911865
Agreed, really needs a 'sad' tag.

Y'know I really didn't mean for it to be sad.

Though the tag has been added.

If I can think of a happier ending that doesn't just seem tagged on then I'll update.

(':heart:');

*cough* update *cough*

More please. Poor rainbow she is totally not seeing the signs, *cough* AJ lie *cough*:applejackconfused:

Still waiting for you to write more :twilightsmile:

[anticipation intensifies]

Aww right in the feels... I love it! I hope you plan to write more soon!

I really enjoyed reading this, but now I hate myself for reading something that clearly said incomplete and was uploaded in 2012 :facehoof::fluttershysad:

Login or register to comment