• Published 11th Aug 2017
  • 7,995 Views, 650 Comments

Vanishing Act - redandready45

  • ...
17
 650
 7,995

PreviousChapters Next
New Theory

Sunset's Apartment

Wednesday Afternoon

"So what did you want to talk about?" Sunset asked Juniper as she welcomed her into her apartment. Sunset had gotten a rather vague text from the pigtailed girl.

"We need to talk. After school," the text said. The terseness implied it was something serious but that she couldn't leave a record of.

"I've been thinking about what the other girls said about the other Twilight's last moments," Juniper said.

"And," Princess Twilight said as she approached Juniper.

"They said she was begging for help, in fear, screaming, and reaching out an arm trying to escape," Juniper said. Her eyes narrowed. "Are those the acts of someone wanting to kill themselves. If she saw death coming toward her, wouldn't she have, you know, embraced it?" Princess Twilight and Sunset's eyes narrowed in contemplation.

"Well," Sunset said uneasily. "I never really wanted to become a demon or kill anyone." Sunset looked down in shame. "I mean, I was willing to brainwash others into becoming part of my army, I never wanted to become a literal monster. But the magic in Twilight's crown brought it out," Sunset felt Princess Twilight put a warm hand on her shoulder. "Sometimes I think that the crown was showing me what I would've become if Celestia had given me alicorn magic before I really grew up."

"Maybe the other me was just frightened by the event," Princess Twilight. "But once she was swallowed up, she embraced it."

"And the screaming?" Juniper asked.

"Maybe it was from the heat inside the sphere?" Princess Twilight.

"Well...could there have been...something else going on in her mind," Juniper said. "Like, if magic brings out what is in our heart, then maybe there was something else that could've been in her heart besides suicidal thought."

"Well, according to her brother and sister," Sunset said. "She wanted to get out of Crystal Prep. But how does that lead to vaporization?"

"Well...what if she wasn't...vaporized?" Juniper said. Sunset and Princess Twilight turned to her in shock.

"You think she wasn't?" Princess Twilight said. "We found a melted shoe! What else could've happened to her?"

"I have a guess," Juniper said. "But first. Show me where this all happened."


Sunset and Juniper ran into Canterlot High's front lawn. The former was wearing the red amulet around her neck, while the latter was carrying a modified Geiger Counter. After realizing that magic was an odd member of the electromagnetic spectrum, Juniper figured the device could be modified for measuring magic.

"This is the spot where she vanished?" Juniper asked, looking at the picture taken of the burn mark. The area was now largely covered in grass and dirt after several weeks.

"Yep," Sunset said. Juniper put the tube of the Counter over the area. It suddenly started beeping and beeping.

"Wow," Juniper said in amazement, "there is still some latent magic left."

"Magic spells don't go away," Sunset said. "All spells leave a signature or residue of some kind." Sunset pulled out her amulet. "I don't see what the point is. We've analyzed this area dozens of times." The amulet absorbed trace amounts of magic.

"Well, maybe we've been looking in the wrong place," Juniper said.


Crystal Prep Cafeteria

One Week Later

"So when's the cast coming off?" Lemon asked Indigo. The Shadowbolts were at their usual table.

"Three weeks," Indigo said uneasily, struggling to hold a knife and fork with her bandaged hands. "Then I'll be as good as new."

"That's great," Sour said happily. She then narrowed her eyes in frustration. "YOU MORON! YOU COULD HAVE DIED!"

"You nearly wasted your athletic potential on impotent rage," Sugarcoat said in an unimpressed tone.

"Yep," Indigo said, accepting her friends' criticism. "I also have to go to counseling twice a week."

"If I were the doctor, I would have put you in a straightjacket," Sunny said in a serious tone. "Don't ever, ever, ever do that again." Indigo sighed.

"Hey guys," Juniper said. Juniper looked like she was suppressing a grin.

"Hey June," Sunny said. "What's going-,"

"Private meeting, library, now," Juniper said. Juniper's friends followed her into the library.

"OK June, what is it?" Sunny said.

"Well, Princess Twilight, Sunset and I studied the magic in the place Twilight disappeared-,"

"Don't you mean 'was vaporized'?" Sunny said. Juniper's grin continued to grow wider.

"We looked at the magical residue," Juniper said, almost shaking with excitement.

"And?"

"We didn't find a single trace of your Twilight," Juniper said. "No particles, no remans nothing."

"And why are you smiling about that?" Indigo asked. Juniper's face twisted into a happy grin.

"Well that alone isn't the good news. But we've been studying the latent magic in the area. And now that we've been looking properly we found traces of...portal magic," Juniper said.

"Portal magic?" Sunny said. Hey eyes and the eyes of everyone else widened when they realized what she meant. "June, do you mean to tell me-"

"Yeah," Juniper said. "Your Twilight wasn't vaporized, she was teleported." A mixture of relief and confusion fell on their faces.

"Teleported?" Sugarcoat asked. "Where?"

"Since this is wormhole magic, there is one place she most likely ended up," Juniper said, her face brimming with excitement. "Equestria."

Author's Note:

For those of you who have read to this point and came up with the right answer, congratulations!

You've earned a brand new free T-shirt.

I mean, I don't have a prize to give, but if I did, you would've gotten it.

PreviousChapters Next