• Published 11th Aug 2017
  • 7,991 Views, 650 Comments

Vanishing Act - redandready45

  • ...
17
 650
 7,991

PreviousChapters Next
Faith and Science on Sunday (Part 1)

Author's Note:

"Good men and bad men alike are all capable of weakness. The difference is simply that a bad man will be proud all his life of one good deed-while an honest man is hardly aware of his good acts, but remembers a single sin for years on end."-Vasily Grossman

Sunny Flare's house, Sunday Morning, 9:30PM


"This perfume is perfect," Mink Coat said to her annoyed daughter, who had been placed in front of the six-foot mirror.

"Mom," Sunny complained, "I'm not five years old! You can't-," Sunny wheezed as her mom sprayed a noxious perfume in her face.

"Darling," Mink said, holding the bottle, as well as a whole bag of makeup. "When people complain that they are being treated like children, it is because they are behaving like children. You're were about leave this house underdressed and underprepared."

"I'm just going to church! Not the debutante's ball," Sunny complained. "You're already making me regret telling you."

"Darling, churches are social organizations," Mink said with an exaggerated tone. "There, you can network and meet others who can help you up the corporate latter."

"I'm only 15 years old, going on 16 this June," Sunny grumbled.

"Well, you can get a head start," Mink said with an amused smile. The woman began looking at combinations of various outfits and seeing how they would fit on her daughter. Sunny let out a resigned sigh, knowing her mom would get what she wanted one way or another.


Canterlot Memorial Church, Sunday Morning. 10:35 AM.

The choir at Canterlot Memorial Church sang out some haunting, Latin chorus that seemed to harken back to days in the ancient past. Conducting the choir was Father Golden Cross, who moved his hands with great energy. He let out a deep breath at the song came to an end.

"Boys, that was the most desperate, pathetic, depressing thing I've ever heard," Father Cross growled, scaring the choir. "Which means...it's perfect for next week, when we take the Manehattan Holy Memorial by storm!" The choir cheered, sounding more like overenthusiastic sports fans at a game. He looked at his watch.

"Alright, I'll see you guys in an hour," Father Cross said, dismissing his group. He walked back to his office with a small smile on his face. While working on some papers, he heard a knock on the door.

"Come in," he said. Sunny walked in, dressed in a fancy purple dress, fuchsia stockings, and red high heels.

"Oh Sunny," Father Cross said with a fake frown and a facetious ,"back for my cookies, aren't you?"

"Why yes Father," Sunny said in her own ironic tone. "Isn't generosity a virtue? And by that, I mean generosity to me." Father Cross snickered a bit.

"So how's your week been?" Golden Cross said, a touch of concern returning to his voice.

"Well, it's been a pretty hectic week," Sunny said while rubbing her head. "So much has happened...that it feels like it has been 2 and a half years."

"Tell me all about it," Golden Cross said.

Sunny told the old priest about meeting Juniper, welcoming into her life, the party, burning bridges with Suri, Juniper fighting back and defending Coco.

"Yeah, that does sound like a crazy week," Father Cross surmised.

"But that's not even the craziest thing," Sunny said.

"Did a magical princess from another dimension come to your house asking for some bagels?"

"She didn't come to my house and she didn't ask for bagels," Sunny with a nervous smile, giving the father a half-truth. He chuckled.

"Well, there was this girl...who looked a lot like Twilight," Sunny said evasively. "And sounded like Twilight, and behaved like Twilight. And she was popular and everybody liked her."

"What she...like...a twin of Twilight?" Father Golden Cross said.

"Not really," Sunny said, she looked at her lap. "It...is kind of hard to explain."

"Was she like a distant...relative of this other Twilight?"

"Very...distant," Sunny replied. "And...well...she knew about what we did to the other Twilight-."

"Other Twilight?" Golden Cross said in a confused tone. "Are there two Twilights in your school."

"Anyways," Sunny said. "She knew...how terrible we were to our teammate. And even though she was really mad at us, she told us we deserved a second chance because of how nice we were to Juniper."

"This girl seems pretty noble," Father Cross said.

"Yeah she was," Sunny said, a tone of sadness. "She invited us to this party with Canterlot High. But all the kids there were mad at us for what we did." Sunny looked down. "They...they treated us the way we treated Twilight." A small tear fell down her face.

"Well I'm sorry about that," Father Golden Cross said with some sympathy.

"This one girl was so angry with us, she told Juniper that we deserved to die for what we did," Golden Cross' face twisted into concern. "Juniper punched her the face over it." Golden Cross' eyes narrowed. "But even though we deserved it...this Twilight-like girl got mad at her, not us. She told everyone to be nice to us, saying that being mean to us would also make them mean. She got everyone to give us a hug-," she paused as more tears fell down on her face.

"Why are you upset though?" Father Golden Cross.

"Because I don't deserve forgiveness," Sunny said, tears falling down her eyes. Father Golden Cross came out from behind his desk and gave the girl a big hug, letting the girl unleash her feelings of guilt and self-loathing all at once.

"Sunny, forgiveness isn't about 'deserving' anything," Father Golden Cross said as the last of Sunny's tears were shed.

"What do you mean?" Sunny said, her voice weak but no longer crying.

"Here's a passage I want you to remember," Father Golden Cross said. " 'Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you'. Forgiveness heals not only you, but the forgiver. This other Twilight seems to get that. She doesn't want her friends to hurt themselves hurting you." Sunny looked down. "Besides, based off the things you've told me, you've definitely shown you want to change."

"Really?" Sunny said.

"You became friends with Juniper and defended her. Not only that, you got your other friends to defend her and befriend her. And Juniper came out of her shell to defend someone else." Father Golden Cross gave her a smile. "You done so much good, you've help change other people for the better."

"I know but," Sunny said with sad frustration. "I think about all these things...and I don't feel any better."

"Why do you think so?" Father Golden Cross.

"Well," Sunny began was some hesitation. "I remember all the times I made fun of Twilight. Laughing at her, not letting her sit at my table, acting jealous because she was such a goody-toe shoes, not caring when Suri and other people made fun of her." Sunny closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "And then I remember how I was always kissing up to Suri just because her family was loaded." She closed her eyes. "And then I remember all the times me and my friends wanted to kick Juniper to the curb." Sunny's mouth twisted in a furious frown at that.

"I'm mad at myself for thinking Suri was cool. I'm mad at myself for nearly throwing June under the bus, and I'm mad at myself because I never gave Twilight a chance," Sunny finished miserably.

"What exactly made you not like her?" Father Golden Cross interjected. "Did you just not like her for being smart?"

"Well," Sunny said uneasily...


Sunny sat in the auditorium, tiredly looking at her phone, waiting for the opening address to start already. It was the first day of school, and every time, some teacher was always giving some dumb speech about working hard. She was more interested in her phone than some teacher's pathetic attempt at inspiration.

"Hey", a timid voice said. Sunny ignored it, continuing to text her friend. She felt a small finger tap on her shoulder.

"What?!" Sunny hissed. She saw some lavender-skinned girl with glasses looking her timidly. "What do you want?"

"I'm-I'm Twilight Sparkle," the girl stammered, acting like someone who was nervous about public speaking.

"Sunny Flare," Sunny said perfunctorily, unimpressed with this girl bugging her. "I'm kind of busy-"

"Did you know that the speed of light is 186000 mi/s," she said with a weird smile.

"No," Sunny said, suppressing her annoyance. "Look I'm in the middle of something right now so-,"

"The theory of relatively is so interesting," Twilight said. "I love science, do you love science, did you know- "

Sunny put on a strained smile, while clenching her first to control her annoyance.


"She was always talking about stupid facts no one cared about," Sunny said with some frustration. "Always not taking hints. Always not shutting up in class."

"She sounds like she might have been autistic," Father Golden Cross said.

"Yeah, I figured. Some of us...even used the word 'retard' to describe her," Sunny said, the word sounding like poison as it left her lips.

"So, basically, you just saw her as a retard not worth you time," Golden Cross surmised. It wasn't said in judgement. It was just a statement.

"Was I wrong to be annoyed by her?" Sunny said.

"Well," Father Cross said, "did you ever spell out to her that she was annoying you? Or that she was being antisocial?" A brief pause followed.

"No," Sunny said after a few moments, guilt once again returning to her voice. "I never did. I just...took one look at her and gave up on her. And when all the teachers were singing her praises...I just got jealous because all the teachers liked her while I was getting F's."

"And do you think being mean ever helped her?" Father Cross asked with a small frown. Sunny bit her lip to control her tears.

"What-what was wrong with me? The kids at CHS said I deserved a chance. Why didn't I ever give her one?"

"Well, you were shallow," Father Cross said. Sunny looked down at her knees in shame. "Let me ask you a question Sunny. What was Jesus like before he became a prophet?"

"A carpenter," Sunny said, remembering some of her Bible studies.

"And if no one believed in his cause, would he have ever become famous?"

"No, he'd still be a carpenter," Sunny said. "What's your point?"

"The point is, behind every Great Man, are great people. Behind every success story, are people who believed in them." Father Cross let out a small frown. "People who talk about 'survival of the fittest' and 'being self-made' don't know what their talking about. Nothing great in this world happened because of one person. The good things in this world happen because of several people working together." He paused and took a sip of water. "The point is that dumping on someone and calling them names doesn't help them. You have to believe in them. Otherwise, they can never start believing in themselves." Sunny chewed on Father Cross' words, and felt tears flow through her eyes, remembering her lack of faith in the lavender-skinned bookworm.

"And the good news is, you've already started," Father Cross said kindly. "You believed in Juniper, when it was hard. And because of that, other people believed in her. And because of that, she found the strength and courage to defend a friend in need." Sunny let out a small smile at that through her tears of guilt. "And Sunny, there is something else I want to tell you."

"What?"

"I believe in you too, as long as you always strive to be the best person you can be," Father Cross finished. Sunny stood up from her chair and gave the man a hug.

"Thank you so much." Sunny said, her tears replaced by pure admiration for the old man. "There's one more thing I wanted to ask you."

"Sure."

"Does someone like Suri deserve a chance?" Sunny asked.

"Well, the thing is, someone like Suri doesn't seem to be able to see if there is a problem," Father Cross surmised. "But, you can always try and be nice, and see where that goes." Father Cross said. "Like I said, you have to be able to believe in everyone, or you won't be able to believe in no one." Sunny stood there, thinking about Father's words.

"So, are you staying for services?" Father Cross asked Sunny.

"Sure, but I have to leave at 12," Sunny said. "I've got this...big science project I'm working on today."

"That's fine," Father Cross. "We're glad to have you here Sunny."

"Thanks", she kindly said to the priest as she walked out of his office.

PreviousChapters Next