• Published 9th Aug 2017
  • 321 Views, 21 Comments

Barnacle's Adventure: Pony Pirates on the High Seas - Paradise Oasis



Arrrr, a pony pirate crew sets out for high seas adventure for gold, fame, and fortune! But will they be finding treasure, or walking the plank?

  • ...
1
 21
 321

Adventure in Abyssnia

Having been accepted by the cats of Abyssinia, the five ponies tried to get along with their hosts. But things weren't easy for the crew of pirate ponies, who were having an unusual time of it in an entirely strange culture. And while one or two of them had managed to get along well with the felines, the rest were trying to avoid wearing out their welcome.

For Salty, it was a nightmare among the food vendors in the marketplace. He was really excited to finally get the chance to eat something besides Fizzy's cooking. But sometimes, too much choice was an even worse thing than no choice...

"Come here, good pony, and try some of my soup." One of the felines called to the sailor, ladling out a bowl. "This brew will be all that you desire."

"Nyarrr, sounds great!" The sailor replied, smiling as he trotted over towards the vendor's booth. But just before he got there, another chef jumped in front of Salty, presenting a dish of cooked fava beans, that caught the stallion's eye. "Ahoy there, what be this tasty-looking unusual meal?"

"It is called Ful medames, a dish native to Abyssinia, and is fava beans, cooked in parsley, onion, and lemon juice." THe cook purred. "Why don't you try some?"

"Arrr, that sounds lovely." Salty replied, trotting around the feline. "But first, I've agreed to try the other cooks meal."

"Now, wait just a moment!" The other cook demanded. "Are you saying my food isn't good enough for pony consumption?!"

"N-no, I never said that!" The sailor protested, putting his hooves up. "I only meant-"

"How dare you try to steal my customer!" The one chef accused, pulling out her claws. "I am determined to show the pony visitors how amazing my cooking is!"

"Well, I am determined to do the same thing!" The tomcat snapped back unsheathing his claws. "And I am willing to fight for the success of my business!"

"MWROWR!"

"HISSS!"

As the two cooks descended into a cat fight, Salty quietly slunk away from the chaos, figuring he'd just make himself a sandwich back on the ship.

Meanwhile, Wave Runner was looking around the jewelry stalls at the marketplace with Lady Kyarr, checking out all sorts of necklaces and earrings.

"Wow, the purple sapphires look really beautiful!" The Pegasus exclaimed. "I've never seen such finely crafted gemstones before!"

"Would you like to have them?" The tigress asked, paying the jeweler for the trinkets. "Then as before, they are yours, my friend."

"Thank you, Kyarr! That's very generous of you!" Wave Runner smiled, putting the earrings on. "All of these rubies and diamonds, emeralds and sapphires.... where does an isolated island get all of these gemstones?"

"Why, we have vast deep gemstone mines, that go deep into the caverns of the island." Kyarr explained, gesturing towards the treasure trove of jewels. "Our first king discovered these rich veins of gemstones, and gave our island a bounty of treasure."
"Is that why the original storm king conquered your island?" Wave Runner asked. "In order to get access to the gem mines?"

"No, he invaded our island to take a cursed stone, one which we sought to use against his enemies." Kyarr sighed. "Fortunately, your harmony bearers managed to slay the first Storm King, and restore our freedom after his empire collapsed."

"But his descendant has managed to trap you all here, with his storm blockade." The Pegasus shook her head. "No wonder you were all so happy to see us."

"Exactly! If you ponies have found a way through the barrier, it could mean everything to us!" Lady Kyarr exclaimed. "Trade could begin again, and our island could prosper once more!"

"Well, I hope this works out for the best for all of us." Wave runner lied, feeling guilty knowing Barnacle's true intentions. "Let's hope the storm king is brought down soon, and Abyssinia can resume it's contact with the outside world."

At that same moment, Fasilides was taking to barnacle, in the privacy of the tomcat's study at home. The feline nobleman revealed to the pirate, that he knew exactly why he and the others had come.

"You and you're crew are here for the key, aren't you?" Fasilides asked, sitting back in his cushioned couch, and smiling. "Don't try to deny it, the look on your face at the mention of the key, tells me all I need to know."

"So it's that obvious, eh?" Barnacle replied nervously, scratching the back of his neck with his hoof. "Shiver me timbers, what tipped ye off?"

"The only way you could've made it through the storms that surround the island, was if you had the map of Captain Celaeno." The tomcat explained. "So you must have the map if you found the hidden route through the storms."

"So, it was the legendary airship pirate who created the map!" Barnacle replied with awe, quietly admiring the humanoid parrot who had been a pirate more than a thousand years ago. "But why did Celaeno create the map in the first place?"

"That wily air pirate didn't like the fact that the alicorns hid a treasure like the pearl away, so she secretly created a map with all of the info on the locations of the keys and traps." Fasilides explained. "But Celaeno died before she and her crew could go after the treasure, and Princess Luna had the map hidden in her sister's tomb; where you or the pirate you stole it from found it, no doubt."

"Well then, since ye know why we're here, perhaps ye can get us the key from yer king?" Barnacle asked hopefully. "If we get the pearl, we can use it's power ta bring down the storm king for ye."

"I suppose so, but I just don't know..." The noble tomcat replied thoughtfully. But before the two could discuss the matter further, Katrina came barging into the room.

"I knew you were here for more than trade, you treacherous ponies!" Katrina hissed. "You are after the sacred key Princess Celestia entrusted to us!"

"Katrina, have you been listening in on our conversation?!" Fasilides hissed. "That is very dishonorable for a feline of your noble standing!"

"What these pirates were trying to do was dishonorable, as well." Katrina countered. "But the good captain is correct, we do stand to benefit from the storm king's fall. Therefore, we will give you the key.... if you cant pass our trials."

"Trials?" Barnacle asked suspiciously. "What kind of trials?"

"I think I'm going to send your two mare friends to the Zolomon diamond mines, on the north tip of the island." The cat woman's smile expanded into a toothy grin. "The mine is infested with the storm king's monsters, and they might just be the two ponies to clear those beasts out."