• Published 8th Aug 2017
  • 6,425 Views, 235 Comments

My name is Barry Allen and I'm the fastest pegasus alive - Kaliann25



The Flash arrives to Equestria and turns into a pegasus

  • ...
23
 235
 6,425

Race 17

Race 17: My name is Rainbow Dash, and I’m the Element of Loyalty

Since reaching the age of majority, Blue Blood had been a night owl. In his days as a bona fide bon vivant, he would party into the wee hours of the morning. He thought nothing of rising at 11 o'clock and having breakfast when normal ponies would be enjoying an early lunch. Now that his nights had taken on a more serious tenor, he valued his sleep even more.

Groggily, he arose to the repeated, melodic chime of his doorbell. With much irritation, he noted that he should have another two hours in bed as he used his telekinesis to run a comb through his mane and tail. He pulled on a simple housecoat and called out.

“Dang it, I’m coming!”

The doorbell continued cycling until Blood opened the door, revealing a complete squad of Solar Guards in front of his door.

“What’s going on? Isn't it too early to sell tickets to the Celestial Ball?” asked the prince.

The soldiers stood, stone-faced.

In a serious tone, the prince asked, "Am I under arrest?"

The soldiers slowly moved apart, clearing a path for Princess Celestia.

“No, nephew, but if you try to shield your employee, I’m afraid you’ll have to spend your day in the dungeons,” explained the Princess of the Sun. “Now, where’s Barry Allen? We have a few questions for him about the Arrow."

Blue Blood frowned. “I don’t know, auntie. Maybe at S.T.A.R. Labs, or back at Central City police station? Or most likely, at Iris West’s home. I’m sorry; he left last night.”

Celestia sighed patiently. It was good to see her nephew risking everything he had for a friend, but right now she had higher priorities. She nodded to the soldiers. A burly earth pony hobbled the prince while an equally muscular unicorn slammed a magic suppressor on the prince's horn. Blue Blood rolled his eyes. There was nothing to be gained in fighting.

“I have witnesses,” the prince explained calmly.

One of the guards smirked and mocked Blue Blood. “Yeah, right. Who? The same bunch of jerks who always cover for you?”

Blue Blood gave a forced laugh. “I don't think the Element Bearers would appreciate you calling them that. Go ahead, ask them. Rarity Belle, Applejack, Fluttershy, Pinkemena Pie, Rainbow Dash, Spike the Dragon. They were all there when he left.”

“Likely story; since when were you close to them?” asked another soldier.

I’m not. Allen is,” explained Blood. “He organized a farewell-party at the Verdant, and he invited all his friends -- the Element Bearers and me. And, in the end, Allen told Dash that she would have to continue on her own. Ask any of them; they'll tell you.”

The guards looked to Celestia, who nodded. They took Blue Blood into custody and frog-marched him through the streets of Canterlot to the dungeons. Celestia frowned as she watched them leave; much as she wanted to believe her nephew, she had to perform due diligence.

Blue Blood did not resist as he was shoved into the tiny windowless cell. As the door was slammed shut, shutting off the light, he gathered the straw strewn on the floor into a pile and went to sleep. With any luck, he would make up for lost time before his aunt confirmed his story.

It seemed as though he had barely drifted off when the door opened. Celestia stood tall, framed by the light.

“It seems that what you said was true. Barry Allen has left Equestria,” said the white alicorn.

Blue Blood yawned. “Oh, right. I'm sorry that the masked vigilante is still causing you problems.”

Celestia nodded. “What do you know about this, nephew? Barry Allen was your employee, and, more importantly, your friend. What do you know about his nightly activities?”

“Nothing. He said that having to tolerate me the whole day was more than enough, so I gave him his space. Besides, the less you know, the better off you'll be.”

Celestia’s eye twitched.

“You haven’t change a bit, have you? We have a delicate situation on our hooves, and all you care about is you. I thought being trapped for four years on that island would have straightened you out, at least a little.”

“I did change, auntie” said Blue Blood calmly. “Instead of mistreating ponies and giving myself a bad reputation, I keep to myself and avoid others. Isn’t that better? I don’t see anything; I don’t hear anything; I don’t say anything. That way, I stay out of trouble.”

Celestia sighed, and glared at Blue Blood. “Get out of my sight. Now!”

The prince left calmly as the guards and the Princess watched him.

“We can arrest him again, if you want,” suggested a soldier.

“No. As annoying he is, he’s harmless. Also, we have higher priorities. Prepare a division to deploy to Ponyville immediately.”

“Your Highness?” asked the soldier.

“We’re going to interrogate the Element of Loyalty. Prepare to arrest her if she refuses to cooperate.”

The soldier wavered, but Celestia was resolute.

“Nopony is above the law. And, as much as we owe her and the other Bearers, we cannot ignore this situation any longer.”


As she had done since becoming Barry Allen's student, Rainbow Dash rose in the pre-dawn hours; the night's party had done nothing to upset her routine; she awoke as refreshed as ever. Barry Allen might be gone, but Rainbow Dash was still committed to constantly improving herself. Knowing that the Wonderbolts' training field would be available, she flew over to do some laps and to clear her mind.

She completed several laps around the field, broke her old record on the obstacle course, and even tidied the grounds. She was on her second set of exercises when she realized she wasn't alone. A familiar orange pegasus was looking at her.

“No matter how fast you fly, you can’t escape yourself,” said Spit Fire.

Rainbow located the voice and landed in front of her commander.

“What are you doing here?”

“What do you think I’m doing? Barry told me that you might feel depressed after he left, so he asked me to keep an eye you.”

Rainbow Dash sighed. “What can I say? I miss my friend.”

“You liked him, right?” asked Spit Fire.

Rainbow Dash nodded weakly. “Yes, but he rejected me. He said I was a friend, nothing more. Iris West is the one for him. I get it, but, I don’t know. That makes him more . . . attractive?”

Rainbow Dash blushed, and then looked away. Spit Fire chuckled. Rainbow Dash glared at her for a moment before she gave up with a long sigh. Spit Fire then put a hoof on her withers.

“I understand, Dash. You need to live with what you have, though, not what might have been,” said the captain.

“I know, and I wouldn’t be worthy of Barry if I let this get the better of me.”

Spit Fire smiled. “That’s the spirit! So, what now? Do you want to keep training?”

“No, I think I had enough for the day. All this mushy stuff is just not me.” Rainbow Dash sighed.

“Okay. But be sure to be here tomorrow for the regular training! You ran out of days off!”

“I know. I know. See you, Spit Fire!”

Spit Fire gave her a nod and left. Rainbow Dash completed a few more laps before going back home. Now that she was a speedster, she had all the time in the world, especially now that she wasn't training with Barry anymore.

“I don’t know, maybe I can try dal bhat, fresh from Neighpal. Breakfast, here I come!”

With that, she vanished in a streak of light.

Ponyville:

Princess Celestia’s carriage landed at the main entrance to the Castle of Friendship. Twilight Sparkle scurried to greet her mentor.

“Princess Celestia? What brings you here?” asked the lavender alicorn.

“Unfortunately, a very unpleasant matter. Twilight Sparkle, I need to interrogate Rainbow Dash immediately.”

Twilight groaned. She had hoped to persuade Rainbow Dash before Celestia caught wind of what was happening. She said, "Why don't we talk over a cup of tea?" With that, she led the senior princess to the breakfast nook.

“I came to get the counsel of a fellow princess first,” said Celestia as she settled onto her chair. “What do you think of arresting Rainbow Dash if she refuses to cooperate?”

Twilight sighed sadly.

“I understand the situation. I don’t like Rainbow’s new acquaintances. Besides, she has to learn she can’t do whatever she wants just because she’s a metapony now.”

Celestia gave a faint smile.

“I’m glad you understand, and I trust that Rainbow Dash will understand as well.”

One of the guards entered the room.

“Princess, we went to her home, and apparently nopony is there. According with the townsponies, she trains on the Wonderbolts’ practice field every morning.”

“We will wait for her to return,” said Celestica calmly. “Lead the way, Lieutenant Hylian Shield.”

Twilight said sadly, "I should be there, too." She joined her mentor, leaving Starlight and Spike alone in the castle.

“I hope she gets arrested!” snarled Starlight.

“Hey! How can you say that?” whined Spike.

“She arrested my friend,” said Starlight coldly.

“That was the Arrow, and even if it's true that Rainbow helped him, you cannot blame her for what Sun Burst was doing!”

Starlight groaned. “I know Spike! But I’m still mad, okay? But you’re right; the one I hope gets arrested is the Arrow -- not Rainbow, the Arrow!”

Spike gave Starlight a hug when he saw her tears. It was true that Sun Burst was a dangerous criminal, but he was also Starlight’s long lost, and recently recovered, childhood friend, and he meant a lot to her. It didn’t matter what he did, he still meant a lot to Starlight.

In the meantime, Twilight had finished gathering the other Bearers, and they stood outside Rainbow’s home, waiting for her to appear.

“Why is she taking that long?” complained Applejack.

“Well, darling, considering Barry has just left, she might need some time to gather her thoughts,” said Rarity.

Nopony said another word. They waited for half an hour before the cyan pegasus finally showed up in the middle of a multi-colored lightning bolt. The speedster suddenly stopped when she saw the welcome committee waiting for her.

“Okay, what did I miss?” asked the speedster.

Princess Celestia walked toward Rainbow Dash, unusually serious, making Rainbow gulp,

“Ahem, Princess?” asked Rainbow Dash.

“Rainbow Danger Dash, in the name of the Crown, I command you to tell me everything you know about the masked vigilante known as the Arrow.”

They all stayed in uncomfortable silence, as Rainbow looked around. Looking at her friends, she saw Rarity was looking away while everypony else nodded at her, encouraging her to talk.

Rainbow Dash sighed.

“But Princess . . .”

“No Rainbow Dash, we must end this whole affair with the Arrow now. Normally I wouldn’t bother you, but I just learned that Barry Allen is no longer in Equestria. The witnesses saw two speedsters fighting side by side with the vigilante. Flash is missing, but we still have you, Rainbow Dash. Now tell me, where’s the Arrow?”

Rainbow lowered her head.

“Princess Celestia, don’t you think you’re overreacting? I mean, the Arrow has stopped killing, Flash made sure of that. Please, don’t make me do this.”

“So, are choosing to protect the masked vigilante? Is he more important to you than Equestria’s security? Do you realize how much blood he has on his hooves?” asked Celestia sternly.

Rainbow shook her head. “Princess, you know I am the Element Loyalty! I can’t just betray Barry; he asked me to watch over the Arrow!”

Twilight looked at her friend worriedly. “Don’t you get it? Rainbow Dash, they’re ready to arrest you!!”

Two soldiers approached, and Rainbow Dash moved backwards.

“Hey! I didn’t do anything wrong!” complained the pegasus. “Yes, I helped the Arrow, but only to push away some criminals, literally, just pushing them away!”

“You are under arrest for obstruction of justice, Rainbow Dash,” said the Princess of the Sun. “I really wanted to avoid this, but maybe a night in jail will remind you where your loyalties should lie. Hookshot, Master Sword, arrest her.”

Two soldiers approached to Rainbow Dash, but she vanished in a streak of light and reappeared over her home.

“Not everything is black and white, Princess!” yelled Rainbow Dash from above. “The Arrow is not our enemy!”

“Maybe not, but he has done enough damage, and even if his methods did help Equestria, he must answer for his crimes. My decision is made, Rainbow Dash!”

Rainbow Dash looked down, at her friends, who slowly nodded.

“Girls! Come on!”

“Rainbow, we know we support ya’ in everything, but this time we can't interfere!” said Applejack.

“It's not that complicated; all you have to do is tell the princess who’s hiding under the hood!” said Twilight.

Rainbow Dash then looked at Rarity, who had a worried expression on her face. She wanted to say something, but she couldn’t. Rainbow looked at the elder princess to the eye.

“I can’t. Sorry, but I will not betray a friend. What I can do is talk to him. We’ll find a solution together, I promise!”

“Rainbow Dash!” called the Celestia, but it was too late. The speedster vanished in a streak of light before the princess uttered the first syllable. Celestia sighed. “So, she chose to defy me”

Applejack face-hoofed. “Great.”

“I should have known it would end like this.” Twilight sighed. “I’m glad she’s still the Element of Loyalty after the accident, but I’m worried about the choices she’s making.”

“She simply won’t betray anypony. That’s who she is,” said Applejack in resignation.

“Not to mention Barry asked her to take care of the Arrow,” added Fluttershy. “And she would do anything for her teacher.”

They nodded in silence.

“But princess, why don’t we let her talk to the Arrow first?” suggested Rarity.

They all turned to the fashionista.

“What?” asked Twilight and Celestia in unison.

“Since Barry asked her to take care of the Arrow, Rainbow Dash feels compelled to support him,” explained Rarity. “So, why don’t we let her talk to him? Maybe she’ll make the right choice after that.”

Princess Celestia nodded, frowning.

“Okay, I’ll listen to you, Rarity Belle, but Rainbow Dash has until midnight to make a decision. Give us the Arrow, or become a fugitive.”

Rainbow arrived at Blue Blood’s mansion in less than a minute and rapidly knocked on the door. Blue Blood came to open it.

“I was wondering when would you show up,” said the prince calmly. “I guess that my aunt already talked to you.”

The speedster only came into the house and sat on one of Blood’s couches.

“My only question is, why haven’t you just told her who I am? Unlike me, you have everything to lose,” said the prince offering Dash a glass of water.

Rainbow couldn’t believe what she heard. “Are you out of your mind? Do you really think I'd betray a friend for anything? First of all, Barry asked me to watch over you. And, second, you have too much to lose, Blood.”

Blue Blood only gave a small shrug. “Money, influence, a life full of luxuries. I have news for you, Dash, I spent four years of my life without all that, and it’s not that bad. Besides, you have true friends.”

“You too, moron!” complained Rainbow. “What about Barry? What about Rarity? What about me? Come on Blood, you know we're friends!”

The prince rolled his eyes. “Of course, we are friends, Dash. I can’t believe I’m the one telling you this, but yes, we are. I haven't forgotten that you saved me from the idiot of Sun Burst. That's the least important reason I can’t let you sacrifice everything for me. I’m not worth it.”

Rainbow Dash face-hoofed. “Blue Blood, listen to me . . .”

“No, you listen to me; most of my life I’ve been nothing but a jerk, the other part, a murderer. Do you really think I’m worth your freedom?”

“But Blood . . .”

“Do it, Dash. I beg you, let me own up to my deeds.”

Blue Blood’s expression was cold, much to Rainbow’s dismay. What was he thinking? Would this bring him penitence? Well, knowing him, that was certainly a possibility. But still, Rainbow Dash couldn’t understand how somepony could be that stubborn.

“Don’t make me do this Blood, please. There must be another way.”

Blue Blood turned his back to Rainbow Dash, and walked to his gym as he sighed. “Dash, remember you’re more than a vigilante. You are an Element Bearer, the kind of hero Equestria needs.”

“Yeah, but thanks to ponies like Sun Burst, you are the hero Equestria deserves,” answered Rainbow Dash, as she walked to the front door. “But, I won’t betray you. You can’t make me do it.”

“Suit yourself!”


That night, the Royal Guard hid their unease under a stoic facade. Seeing their princesses in bad mood was always a bad sign; there surely was a crisis somewhere in the principality. True to their duty, they stayed quiet and waited for instructions.

After what seemed to be an interminable wait, a multi-colored streak of light, mostly cyan, entered Canterlot Castle through an open window.

“So, your friends told you your decision is now due,” said Princess Luna calmly.

Rainbow Dash nodded. “Sorry, but no. I am the Element of Loyalty. I know the Arrow is insane, but that’s precisely why he needs a trustworthy friend, and that’s me.”

The Princesses nodded, and the Royal Guard approached to arrest Rainbow Dash. An arrow flew through the air. Rainbow Dash reacted reflexively, catching it with her mouth. The arrow exploded, surprising Dash just long enough for a second arrow to pierce her right forehoof. Rainbow pulled it out, but she suddenly felt dizzy, and fell unconscious.

The soldiers prepared for battle, but they fell like dominos to the onslaught of tranquilizer arrows. Finally, when the last guard lay unconscious before of the princesses, a mysterious hooded figure jumped in.

“So, you decided to take the bait,” said Celestia coldly.

The Arrow gave a single nod. “Loyalty must be paid with loyalty. This girl was willing to sacrifice everything for my sake. I can’t let her do that. If you promise me she won’t be punished for trying to protect me, I’ll turn myself in, here and now.”

Luna raised an eyebrow. “You’re already here, exposed right before us. Why would we listen to you?”

The Arrow prepared his bow. “I have more than enough tricks to escape you, let alone every single guard you send after me. But, if you guarantee Rainbow Dash’s safety, I will surrender without a fight.”

The two alicorns nodded.

“Fine. After all, her only crime was trying to protect you,” agreed Celestia. “I’m curious Arrow, what did you do to her?”

“I gave her a big dose of sedatives, enough to drug a battalion. That bought us, perhaps, five minutes.”

Luna frowned. “Tell me, why are you doing this?”

“Because while having friends may bring trouble, the idea of not having to be on my own any more is comforting.”

“No, I meant, why did you start this war against criminals?”

The Arrow groaned. “How many times do I have to repeat myself? Because most of my life, I have failed Equestria. Four years trapped in Tartarus were the dose of reality I needed to realize what I must do to atone.”

And, finally, the Arrow revealed his face.

Author's Note:

So this is it, the Arrow have revealed himself. A mini story-arc before going back with the Reverse Dash. I hope you liked it, and as always, read ya’ later!!

By the way, am I the only one who thinks this fic is actually two merged in one?