• Published 6th Aug 2017
  • 2,257 Views, 160 Comments

Heart of Gold - CartoonNerd12



Based on Rumpelstiltskin. Fluttershy, a humble miller's daughter is summoned to the castle to meet a king that's crude to everyone around him. Can this mare's golden heart help him change his ways?

  • ...
3
 160
 2,257

Chapter 30

Author's Note:

Okay so if everyone will recall, back in Chapter 15, Screwball made a point about Sombra threatening war so that will be the main plot point for Act Two. Now that the parents' arch is done, it's time for the kids to shine. After all a big part of the Rumpelstiltskin fairy tale is the first born child, so I'm trying to expand on that with Screwball. Hope that clears everything up.

Screwball was having the best dream in the world. She was in her own chaotic wonderland having fun and she saw her parents, aunts and uncles, and her friends doing the same.

The first of her friends were the fraternal twin dragon-pony hybrids of Applejack and Spike, Pear Jam and Apple Jewel. Pear Jam took after his father with his purple coat and had a bright green mane that was spiked up, he looked mostly like a pony but he had scales, a dragon tail, and paws. He also had his father's draconic eyes but instead of green they were teal. Apple Jewel on the other hand was the spitting image of Applejack except her coat was a tad darker but her eyes were exactly her mother's. They were eleven going on to twelve.

Then there was Whirl Wind the son of Rainbow Dash and Soarin. Whirl took after his mother with her coat but he had his father's light green eyes and his hair was a mixed of his parents' having his father's hairstyle and his mother's rainbow color. He was currently eleven like the twins.

Next was Cotton Candy, the daughter of Pinkie Pie and Cheese Sandwich and she was Screwball's closest friend given they were the same age. Cotton took after her mother but had her father's green eyes and her poofy hair was a mix of pink and chocolate.

Then it was Gemstone, Rarity and Capper's daughter. She was a cat-pony hybrid and she was definitely a mix of her parents both physically and in personality. Her coat was brown with a white underbelly but her face was white with a brown stripe vertically going across her muzzle. She also had white paws in the front while she had brown hooves in the back. She had green eyes like her father and part of his hair. She had curls like her mom and had her horn too. However the most unique feature on Gemstone was her cat tail as it wasn't like her father's instead it was more fluffy and wide.

And finally, Fire Spark: son of Twilight Sparkle and Flash Sentry. He took after his father in every aspect expect for his mane color that was purple like his mother's.

Both him and Gemstone were nine-years-old making them the youngest of the group.

In the dream, Screwy was giggling and enjoying herself not realizing in the real world, she was rising from her bed with her eyes still shut and started to walk out of her room.

Meanwhile in their own rooms, Screwball's friends were sleeping soundly until a strange voice called out them in their dreams, "Awake! You must awake!"

On cue they woke up with a start and went out of the rooms and into the hallway.

They saw each other and Pear Jam asked, "Hey, guys did you have a weird dream just now?"

Apple Jewel said, "Like someone was telling you to wake up?"

They all started agreeing with Whirl Wind saying, "Heck yeah! That was the weirdest thing ever!"

Gemstone questioned, "What could have it meant?"

Cotton noticed something and pointed, "Hey, there's Screwball going down the stairs but she's walking funny and her eyes are closed!"

They turned to see she was right as Fire said, "That is strange even for Screwball."

Jewel stated, "We better see what's going on…" and quickly went after the light pink pony with white and purple curly hair.

The kids followed Screwy carefully once they reached down the stairs and could see she was heading for the front doors.

"What is she doing?" Jam inquired.

Cotton mentioned, "It looks like she about to go outside."

"But we're not allowed to go outside after dark." pointed Gem.

"Exactly, which is why we need to stop her before she gets into trouble." motioned Fire.

They ran up to her and could see Screwball's eyes were still shut and she had this big goofy grin on her face.

Inside Screwy's dream, she saw a door leading to an ice cream bowl the size of a giant pool! She could see her friends and family swimming in the ice cream and her father called out, "Come on in, sweetheart! The ice cream tastes great!"

Screwball saw her friends jumping off a large spoon handle as they shouted out to her.

Cotton told her, "Yeah, join us, Screwball!"

Whirl added, "It's no fun without you!"

Gemstone jumped off the handle as she said, "Jump right in!" before splashing into the creamy water.

Screwy laughed and got closer to the door. In real life however she was closer to the castle's front doors.

Her friends had to run up to her and yelled out, "Screwy! Stop!"

But Screwball didn't and kept on walking with her eyes still shut making them realize…

"She's sleepwalking!" Cotton pointed out.

Fire hollered, "Screwball! You have to wake up!"

The others did the same thing, trying to get their friend to come around.

In the dream Screwball was almost through the door, when she heard her friends' voices and turned around in confusion. But when she turned back the door was gone and in place was a black fire with flaming red and green glowing eyes! She shrieked at the scary sight!

The thing gave out a menacing chuckle before spoke to her, "Soon… you will be mine!"

Screwball screamed seeing the shadow about to attack her forcing her to wake up.

She gasped and panted and then saw her friends were next to her looking on in concern.

"What… What happened? Why am I here?"

"You tell us. Why were you sleepwalking?" asked Cotton.

"Sleepwalking? I was sleepwalking?" she noticed her surroundings, realizing her friend spoke the truth.

A regal voice suddenly said, "That you were, my dear."

They turned and saw, "Princess Luna!"

The Night Princess went to them, "A dark magic spell overshadowed your dreams so I could not get through to help you." she addressed all the kids, "There was also a spell around your parents that prevented me from warning them so I had to warn you instead."

"So that was your voice!" Pear Jam pointed.

"Yes, and I am thankful you listened. Or else, Screwball would have fallen into a terrible trap."

"A trap? Who would want to trap me? They think they can mess with the Princess of Chaos, they got another thing coming!" she waved her hoof in the air.

"It's not my place to say, young princess. Now if you'll excuse me I must alert your father and mother of this latest development." and she flew up the stairs.

Jewel asked, "Are you going to be okay, Screwy?"

"Yeah, I think so, it takes a lot more than a bad dream to get me down."

"Do you remember what your dream was about?" Fire Spark asked.

"Vaguely… I can't remember the end but I do know that it was scary and at first it was a great dream that I wouldn't mind having again."

"You sure you'll be able to sleep after this?" Gemstone questioned.

"I don't see why not, the threat has passed and Luna is telling my parents so they be able to make sure I'm kept safe."

"You're really brave, Screwy." said Cotton, "If it had been me, I would stay awake for the rest of the night!"

Whirl muttered, "Knowing her, she could probably do it."

That made them laugh.

Screwball told them, "Hey, as long as I got friends like you, I don't have to be scared of anything."

Then they started to go back up the stairs not knowing that a moving shadow was watching them from behind.

The shadow uttered with a hiss, "Oh… you will be… You will be…"

Comments ( 11 )

:pinkiegasp: Well, that took a turn. Also, to quote Captain America, "I understood that reference."

Also, I see that you redesigned Gemstone.

Ooh, this seems interesting! It's also interesting that Gem in this universe is a hybrid. Also, that entire sequence was a reference to Don Bluth's Anastasia and it was pretty tense. Finally, I'm curious if that shadow was Sombra, and if so, why's he targeting Screwy and what does Hope think of all this?

Overall, this was an interesting start to Act II.

Did not expect that... well, Rumpelstiltskin did have the whole, guess my name and you can keep your child thing.
What deal and with who did Discord (yeah like Fluttershy is going to put a life on the line aside from her')?
And while the Anastasia reference is there, I am reminded of something else, this (watch it onto the end and you'll get why)

I had thought of doing a take on that for the FlashLight Oct-Nov challenge, but Twilight's not one to stand aside in a safe place as someone else risk themselves... as awesome as Flash might have turned out in that, but I can't sacrifice Twilight for Flash.

9297342
You do know that the prompt for the FlashLight Week Oct.-Nov. Challenge ISN'T fairy tales, right? You did read the author's notes describing the prompt in my entry, right? :applejackunsure:

Curse you mysterious evil force! Also, I wonder if you'll do a sequel that features an older Perplexity. She has some potential to her.

9297516
Well she is older in my story, The Baby Chronicles on my fanfiction.net userpage. If you want to check it out.

9297425
I know the prompt is based on the elements. That short from the 80's is just part of the idea

9297814
:rainbowderp: I'm kinda weirded out that the same prompt made us think of fairy tales.

9297821
Great minds think alike

9550197
Watch the opening scene of The Hunchback of Notre Dame. You'll understand.

9568813
Guilty as charged. :twilightblush: Since I like the idea of Fluttershy being Screwy's mom with bronies thinking Screwball is Discord's daughter.

Login or register to comment