• Published 6th Aug 2017
  • 2,256 Views, 160 Comments

Heart of Gold - CartoonNerd12



Based on Rumpelstiltskin. Fluttershy, a humble miller's daughter is summoned to the castle to meet a king that's crude to everyone around him. Can this mare's golden heart help him change his ways?

  • ...
3
 160
 2,256

Chapter 22

Author's Note:

Song featured: Once Upon a Dream from Disney's Sleeping Beauty.

Fluttershy and Discord were walking back to her room while laughing all the way. Discord kept telling her some funny jokes making her comment.

"Oh, Discord I've never known any pony as funny as you are! I especially love that story about the time you tried to train your right paw," she giggled, "to fetch your left leg!" giggling again.

He laughed with her and said, "Yes, I do so have a funny way of doing things."

They sighed in content as they reached the room with him inquiring, "And I will see you for dinner tonight?" making sure she hadn't changed her mind.

She nodded, "Yes."

He mentally sighed in relief then took her hoof to kiss it. A smile spread across on her lips from the feeling.

"Until then mi amor…"

"What does that mean?"

He smirked, "All in due time, my darling." he conjured up a rose and presented it to her. He made a bow then went.

Fluttershy sighed lovingly while holding the rose close to her face and went into her room.


Rainbow paced the kitchen floor with her friends watching. She had already finished telling the news of her pregnancy to Rarity who was overjoyed for her before the pegasus made a point of whether or not she should tell Fluttershy.

"She's like the oldest friend I ever had since we grew up together. We had always shared everything together but now… here I am pregnant and she's dating the jerk that kept me from becoming a knight. How can I tell her this without her revealing anything to him?"

Rarity started, "I'm sure Fluttershy would keep the secret from him."

Twilight pointed, "Even so, Rarity, with Fluttershy possibly becoming his queen she would have to hide this during her marriage to him and if he found out later it would not bode well for either friend in this case. Discord feels he can trust Fluttershy and it's one of those reasons why he feels so compelled to change for her sake. Granted she has kept that a majority of his servants are secretly married save for Applejack and Spike since he found that out by himself but this is a bit more personal.

"Fluttershy will want to ensure her friend's happiness by making sure her baby can be free from the castle when Rainbow's contract is up."

"Only Soarin and I had a talk and we both agreed that we would make sure our baby will be free once he or she will be of age. Once that happens, I'm going to stay with Soarin. Sure I'll die in this miserable castle but at least I'll be with my husband and that'll be worth it."

Applejack smirked, "Ever the loyal spouse, right?"

"You got that right!" the cyan pegasus exclaimed proudly, "Like I would ever leave Soar high and dry."

Rarity mentioned, "Still it won't be easy, hiding a child within the castle."

Applejack nodded, "The the more reason why I told Spike to take our baby the moment it was born away from here."

The girls gaped at this information and stared at her in bewilderment.

AJ stated, "Hey, I was trying to give my kid their best chance, if it meant me never knowing them then that's the way it goes."

Twilight slightly frowned and said, "Suddenly I'm glad your secret was exposed when it did."

It was Applejack's turn to gawk, "Say what?!"

Rarity spoke up, "Darling, I must agree with Twilight, I can't believe you were willing to sacrifice the satisfaction of raising your child."

"Yeah!" voiced Rainbow, "And not to mention that my kid would have been friendless without another baby around!"

Applejack's eyes widen at that realizing the truth behind that statement. The others realized it too with Twilight saying.

"That is a very good point, Rainbow Dash; we do need to consider the child's need for social interaction. In fact, if you hadn't gotten pregnant yourself we would be facing this same problem with Applejack's baby. Having no playmates your own age could lead to severe loneliness and depression."

The tough mares eyed each other incredulity.

Pinkie gestured, "Guess it's a good thing you two got pregnant when you did!"

"It sure sounds that way." said Applejack.

Rainbow nodded in disbelief before shaking her head and said, "But you know this still doesn't answer my question of whether or not I should tell Fluttershy."

The group exchanged looks of uncertainty not sure how to reply.


Fluttershy entered the dining room that evening and thanked Spike for escorting her down before turning to the host who was once again the magical draconequus he was. Both exchanged a smile as she took her seat across from him.

He asked as their food was being served, "Will you be singing this evening?"

"I will."

He was surprised by her answer, "So soon?"

"I think sooner is better because so many ponies have been here for such a long time that they deserve that day-off."

"Your kindness never ceases to amaze me, my dear. Then again you do have a heart made of gold after all so it really shouldn't surprise me one bit." he took a sip of his drink.

"You're giving me the motivation I need to get over my stage fright. I wouldn't be singing at all were not for your suggestion."

"Anything to make sure your lovely voice is heard throughout. It's a gift that should be shared with the world."

"Still… to offer a servant to have a day-off… it is rather strange coming from you, Rarity and Rainbow Dash couldn't believe their ears when Applejack and I told them this morning."

He made a slight chuckle, "Well I can't say I blame them. Miss Dash and Miss Rarity have been here for quite a while now and how they came into my servitude wasn't the best time for them."

"Like how you tricked Rainbow Dash from becoming a knight?"

His eyes widen, "You know?"

"I know how important it was to her because she told me so when we were children."

His eyes widen further, "You two knew each other?"

She nodded, "She stood up for me when no one else would… We became close friends because of that."

"I had no idea…"

"Well I don't think I brought it up that much because to do so would've just made things worse."

There was silence between them until Discord slowly said.

"Would… would it please you if I did make her a knight?"

Fluttershy gasped loudly, "You would do that?!"

"If it'll make you happy, I will."

She leapt out of her seat to hug him tightly, "Oh Discord! Thank you! Thank you so much! You have no idea how much this'll mean to her!"

"It's settle then, tonight after the performance I shall make Miss Rainbow Dash a full fledge knight and your personal bodyguard, how's that?"

"It's wonderful!" she hugged him again and he returned happily it.

He thought with amusement, It truly amazes me of how one mare can turn me into such a softie but frankly I don't care, because this… this is all worth it.


Rarity and Capper were backstage as the unicorn was getting ready to go on stage with her fellow Pony Tones. She told the cat while batting her eyes, "I'm so glad you came."

He chuckled, "Well when you invited me this afternoon, I couldn't say no. Besides it's not every day I get to see such a dazzling beauty performing." making a cheeky grin at her.

She giggled.

"I guess I better go find a seat before it gets too crowded. Or else I won't get to hear your lovely voice." he made a bow before going.

Rarity watched as he went and sighed. The afternoon they had together was the most enjoyable experience she ever had, the more they talked about the art and architecture of the castle the more she had fallen for the count. She knew then that she had to follow her friends' advice and tell Fancy the truth about her feelings. It sadden her that she would have to break his heart but it had to be done. Then suddenly she remembered the contract and groaned.

She muttered to herself, "Oh that's right, I forgot all about that… What will I do?" before she could ponder on it further, the other Pony Tones came to her.

Torch Song inquired, "Are we ready?"

Rarity looked to Fluttershy, "It's up to you darling, are you prepared to sing?"

Fluttershy's nerves were bundling up inside her but she reminded herself why she was doing this and took a deep breath, "Yes."

The Pony Tones then took their places. Rarity signaled the curtain to go up.

Everybody in the ballroom watched as the Pony Tones made their appearance. Discord was once again in the chandelier to avoid mingling with the servants to ease tensions. He beamed when seeing Fluttershy taking center stage and started to sing.

` "I know you… I walked with you once upon a dream… I know you the gleam in your eyes is so familiar a gleam… Yet I know it's true… That visions are seldom all they seem… But if I know you I know what you'll do… You'll love me at once… the way you did once upon a dream… But if I know you I know what you'll do… You'll love me at once…"

Big Mac took over, "The way you did once upon a dream… I know you I walked with you once upon a dream… I know you the gleam in your eyes is so familiar a gleam…"

The Pony Tones all sang together, "And I know it's true… That visions are seldom all they seem… But if I know you I know what you'll do… You'll love me at once… the way you did once… upon… a dream…"

After the final cord, cheers sounded off as the Pony Tones took a show bow with Discord and the rest of the Mane Six cheering the most.

Discord was clapping and said loudly, "Bravo! Bravo!" before popping down to the floor causing the servants to stop applauding and stared at their king in bewilderment.

Capper said to himself, "Oof, that's one way to kill the mood."

Discord noticed the change with everyone looking at him in uncertainty of what he was going to do.

He said, "Oh, you can all relax, I am just here to make a couple of announcements, ones that I am sure that will please all of you. For starters, thanks to a recent deal I made with this lovely mare right here." gesturing at Fluttershy which made her to blush, "I have decided to let one servant have a day-off tomorrow."

There was a large gasp around the room. With Applejack smirking at Rainbow gawking and said with her eyes, Told ya so.

Discord addressed the buttercream mare, "Miss Fluttershy, would you please do the honors of choosing the lucky servant."

Fluttershy was surprised she would get to choose then looked around seeing the hopeful expressions on each pony's face. Oh my… there's so many how will I ever decide…? Then she looked to her fellow Pony Tones and remembered what Applejack told her about Big Mac having a sweetheart outside the palace walls but she was engaged to someone else because she couldn't be with Big Mac. It was so sad that the lovers couldn't be together at least this way… they can have one last moment together before it's too late.

She declared for all to hear, "I choose… Big Mac!"

The red stallion was shocked to say the least as was every other servant before disappointment took over.

Discord was bit taken aback himself but he gave in and said, "Big Mac it is then." and told the stallion, "Congratulations."

Big Mac just smiled.

The king then stated, "Now on to the next announcement. Would Miss Rainbow Dash please step forward?"

The cyan pegasus stiffened when hearing this and looked to her husband and friends with worry on her face. Concern also grew on their faces fearing the king had somehow figured out Dash's pregnancy just like he had with Applejack's. But when Rainbow looked at her oldest friend's expression she saw… joy? This really confused Dash as she hesitantly stepped fore and faced the king.

Discord towered over her without emotion showing on his face. He commanded, "Kneel."

Dash gulped and did as he said.

Soarin was scared of what was about to happen and was getting ready to jump in should anything go wrong with his wife and unborn child.

Discord summoned a sword making the crowd gasp. He lifted it up and then lowered it down to Rainbow.

Soarin was ready to pounce when Discord suddenly proclaimed.

"I dub thee, Lady Rainbow Dash, the first mare knight of my kingdom!"

The room was utterly speechless when hearing this. Rainbow especially was shocked beyond belief when she looked up to see Discord making a small smirk and then looked at Fluttershy again to see her beaming with happiness.

"Arise, my loyal knight." Discord told her.

Rainbow did so making everyone around her cheering on.

Dash couldn't believe what just happened, she became a knight! An actual knight! It was a dream come true making her almost spill tears. She saw her friends and husband who were equally happy for her.

Discord addressed the room, "And there you have it! See, I knew you would all like this, now if you'll excuse me I'll retire for the evening. Good night." and with a poof he disappeared.

Shortly after he had gone excitement ran through every pony wondering what has made their once cruel king be so generous all of a sudden. Fluttershy of course knew the answer and it just made her feel closer to Discord then ever before.