• Published 6th Aug 2017
  • 2,247 Views, 160 Comments

Heart of Gold - CartoonNerd12



Based on Rumpelstiltskin. Fluttershy, a humble miller's daughter is summoned to the castle to meet a king that's crude to everyone around him. Can this mare's golden heart help him change his ways?

  • ...
3
 160
 2,247

Chapter 19

Author's Note:

I know, I know, it's been awhile since I updated but when one has writer's block and a busy lifestyle especially where a Social Work Internship is concerned, it's hard to get a chapter up. But anyway, I'm back for now and I hope this was worth the wait. The song featured in this is from Veggietales: Beauty and the Beet called Show You Love. Enjoy!

Rarity gapped when Fluttershy told her about her conversation with the king.

"What?! You told him you would care for him again if he gives respect to us servants?!"

"Yes." Fluttershy merely replied as she sipped on her chamomile tea from the tea set Rarity brought up to her.

"But, but darling, he'll never keep his word!"

Suddenly Pinkie appeared at the doorway and exclaimed, "Guess what! The king is letting me and Cheese throw a big party tonight!"

"WHAT?!" both girls shouted in bewilderment.

"It's true! And I told Cheesy that I would provide the entertainment, so Rarity, I need you, Big Mac, Torch Song, and Toe Tapper to perform!"

"Perform?" Fluttershy questioned while Rarity countered.

"But Pinkie its such short notice! And we don't even have a song to sing!"

"But you guys started singing together at that one party last year without rehearsing!"

"If you'll recall that was a spell gone wrong by one of maids after she got drunk!" She went out of the room to talk more to Pinkie while leaving Fluttershy to her thoughts.

He's letting them have a party… He's willing to make his servants happy… and that makes me happy in return…

Due to this uplifting mood, she started humming as she put down her tea cup and started to clean up all the while singing.

"There's music in the treetops… And there's music in the vale… And all around the music fills the sky! There's music by the river and there's music in the grass… And the music makes your heart soar in reply!"

She vocalized until she reached the high notes and finished.

A high pitch voice suddenly said, "Wow!"

She turned with a startle to see Pinkie and Rarity gawking at her with an awestruck look in their eyes. She blushed and timidly said, "Oh… You… um… you didn't hear me… um…"

Pinkie exclaimed, "Singing in the most beautiful voice ever?!"

Rarity proclaimed, "Of course we did!"

Fluttershy gulped while having a look of dread on her face.

Rarity continued, "With a talent like yours, it must be shared! Darling, you simply must join us on stage tonight!"

Fluttershy fretted, "Oh no! No, I couldn't!"

Pinkie questioned, "But why? I mean sure everypony will be staring at you, judging you, jealously noting how they could be way better than you! Why wasn't it them? Why wasn't it them? And then, when you choke, they'll turn on you, becoming a seething, angry mob, and you'll be horribly humiliated, never able to show your face again!"

"Pinkie Pie!" Rarity scolded, "Don't be ridiculous!"

"Aw, but I'm so good at it!"

"And you're scaring the poor thing. Look at her."

Fluttershy was shaking and quivering close to the floor holding her forehooves over her head.

Rarity started stroking her back and tried to reassure her, "Fluttershy, darling, you mustn't let Pinkie's words get to you… Sometimes, she goes a bit too far without thinking things through. Now no one's going to judge you for having such a lovely voice, if anything you'll be adored to no end."

That calmed the pegasus down and removed one of her hooves to peek up, inquiring, "Really?"

"But of course!" she helped the maiden up, "Your voice will inspire the masses! You'll give them hope like never before!"

This intrigued the teal-eyed mare and asked, "Do-do you really think it could give them hope?"

"I have no doubt it will!" Rarity exclaimed joyfully, "Will you reconsider in joining us?"

"Well… um… I don't know… I want help everypony in the castle to feel happy and that I want their hopes of a better life to come true. But I also know the idea of being on stage scares me…" she hung her head shamefully.

"I see… well it's just as well, given we don't have a song ready anyway so we couldn't perform even if we wanted to…"

"Oh, um, I could, um, give you one of my songs if you like…"

Once again Pinkie and Rarity gawked at the shy mare making her uneasy.

"You write songs too?!" Pinkie screeched excitedly while bouncing up and hanging in the air for a little while before going back down.

"Um… yes? The song I was singing just now is one I wrote for my animal friends back home."

Rarity declared, "It's settled then! You provide us with the music and we'll do the singing, how's that?"

Fluttershy made a tiny smile and nodded.


The ballroom was flooded with all of the servants of castle as they marveled in the decorations that Pinkie and Cheese had set up in such a short time along with a buffet table. Meanwhile the entertainment was backstage going over the song Fluttershy wrote.

Rarity exclaimed while magically holding the music sheet, "Darling, this is amazing!"

Torch Song added with a smile, "It really is."

Big Mac stated in affirmation, "Eeyup."

Rarity mentioned, "But I do so wish you would join us, your voice would be perfect for these high notes."

Fluttershy blushed and turned her head shyly away, "I told you, Rarity… I can't sing on stage…"

The unicorn gave an understanding look, "Very well… I won't force you if you don't feel comfortable with it…"

The pegasus smiled, "Thank you…"

Torch Song said, "Don't worry, we understand, we've all had our moments of stage fright and it won't be the last."

Big Mac agreed, "Eeyup."

Toe Tapper pointed, "I was scared too when I first started performing, but once I started singing, I forgot the crowd was even there!"

This perked Fluttershy's interest and inquired, "Really?"

He beamed, "You bet!"

Rarity smirked, "It's true, darling, once you get in the moment you forget the things that make going on stage scary."

Fluttershy was starting to feel a burst of confidence and found that singing in front of everypony was appealing to her. And asked Rarity, "Do you really think my voice will inspire everyone and give them hope?"

The prim and proper unicorn smiled brightly and replied, "Undoubtedly!"

Fluttershy took a deep breath and said with determination, "Let's do this!" and was about to go on stage but then hesitated and looked back at the others, "But um, maybe you should go first…" making a nervous smile.


Discord was back to his true form and sat at his desk in his study going over paperwork. Twilight was watching with a frown and said, "You know, you could join us in the ballroom and you can mingle with the rest of servants to befriend some of them."

He gruffly replied, "No thanks." he scribbled on the parchment, "Besides, with me there, no one's going to want to enjoy the party… so it's better this way." he continued scribbling.

The unicorn didn't argue and started leaving, "Okay, but if you change your mind…"

"Not going to happen, so just go already."

For that one brief moment, Twilight actually felt sorry for the cursed king. He was going to miss out on all the fun but since he didn't want to go, she couldn't force him and with a heavy sigh, she left.


Pinkie addressed the audience on the stage, "Good evening, ladies and gentlecolts! Are you having a super, spectacular, fun time already?!" she heard the crowd cheering, "Great! Because things are about to get even more super, spectacular, and fun! I give you your entertainment for tonight, The Pony Tones!" the audience applauded while she made her way off the stage as the curtains parted revealing the singing group.

Fluttershy was in front and when she saw the many faces staring back at her, she gulped and looked back to see Rarity urging her on. She looked on again and started to softly sing, "Everybody says I'm crazy to be talking with a guy like you… They say I should stop, but I can't do what they want me to…"

The boys started to vocalize making the music louder and Fluttershy picked up the pace, "They're telling me that you're no good… Don't think they ever understood… That's it's true that a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do…"

There were murmurs of approval in the audience from hearing Fluttershy's lovely voice.

The girls in the group sang, "Cuz baby, Faust sees something in you they can't see… You're rough around the edges, baby, I agree… But she's telling me from up above… I gotta show you love!"

Applejack uttered to Rainbow, "Wow! Did ya know she could do that?"

Dash shook her head dumbfoundedly.

Meanwhile Discord was still busy with his paperwork until he heard the music and a voice… a sweet, lovely, haunting voice… he lifted his ears to hear it more clearly.

"Well they're saying I'm a fool that you're cruel and I'm wasting my time… I need to make tracks, start packing and leave you behind…"

Discord knew where it was coming from and popped out then popped in at the top of ballroom chandelier so he would not be seen. From there he saw a most wondrous sight of Fluttershy singing in the most beautiful voice!

The group vocalized while Fluttershy sang, "But if they could see through her eyes… Maybe then they'd realize… There's nothing anyway they could say… to make me change my mind! Cuz baby, Faust sees something in you that they can't see…"

The girls sung, "You're rough around the edges, baby, I agree… But she's telling me from up above… I gotta show you love!"

They vocalized again while Fluttershy sung, "So you got a few rough edges and you're not too polished and refined… But you stand out from all the others, baby… cause you're one of a kind!"

They all sang together, "Cuz baby, Faust sees something in you that they can't see… You're rough around the edges, baby, I agree… But she's telling me from above… I gotta show you love! You're rough around the edges, baby, I agree… But she's telling me from above… I gotta show you love!"

When the song ended there the room was quiet and for a moment, Fluttershy was worried that they did poorly or rather she did poorly until a deafening cheer rang across the ballroom. Applejack, Rainbow, Pinkie, and Twilight cheered the most.

When the Pony Tones took their bows and left the stage, a crowd swarmed around them especially Fluttershy as ponies told her how great she was. She blushed at their compliments and tried to thank them. Rarity helped her out and led her to the buffet table where the rest of their friends were.

Dash exclaimed happily, "You. Were. So. Awesome!"

"Thank you, Dashie…" she blushed again.

"I had no idea you were that talented!" her old friend stated, "Some best friend I am…"

"Well it's something I don't like to share so much… So it's alright…"

Applejack mentioned, "It was incredible, it was like a slice of heaven."

Pinkie motioned, "I know, right?! It was totally unbelievable! I mean, the curtain came up and there she was! Singing in front of everypony! And you know, I don't think anypony was jealous, 'cause there certainly wasn't an angry mob! And-" she was cut off by Rainbow Dash's hoof.

Rarity told Fluttershy, "Well I'm so proud of you! You faced your fear! Think you can do it again?" she batted her eyes hopefully.

Fluttershy shook her head, "No, I don't think so."

They were aghast at her answer as Rainbow demanded, "Why not?!"

She replied, "It was wonderful to be singing in front of everyone but it was still scary at the same time… I need some time to recover."

The girls understood and respected her choice. By then music for a slow dance played and Spike, Soarin, and Cheese went up to their wives asking them for a dance to which they happily accepted and went toward the dance floor with them. Flash then came up to Twilight and bowed.

"Miss Sparkle, may I have this dance?"

Twilight made a small smile, "Alright… but just this once." she held her hoof out as Flash joyfully took it and escorted her to the dance floor.

Fluttershy and Rarity watched the happy couples and Fluttershy soon found herself wishing that a certain draconequus would ask her to dance with him. She realized then that he wasn't here and grew sad at the fact he was missing out. But as soon as she thought that she spotted a tall, long figure going out of one the open ballroom windows. She knew who it was and decided to go after him.

"Rarity, I'll be right back, I have to do something quick." she flapped her wings up and flew out the window. She looked around until she spotted him sitting on the castle roof and carefully went to him.

Discord was staring up at the night sky, not seeing a certain pegasus approaching him.

"Thank you…" she softly uttered.

He turned in surprise to see her and questioned in confusion, "F-for what?"

"For doing this… for giving Pinkie and Cheese a party to throw…"

He shook his head, "You have only yourself to thank, Fluttershy… You were the reason I allowed the party to happen."

"Maybe… but you didn't have to do it…"

"But I wanted to…" he faced her with big sad eyes, "If only to please you…"

She felt her heart thumping at a rapid pace.

He admitted, "It's you I have more concern about then anything else…"

She covered her mouth.

"I'm afraid of failing your wishes to gain everyone's respect… It was easy to give Pinkie and Cheese what they want but everyone else… if I try to befriend them and give them something they want, they'll just think I was up to something and they would never believe me to be sincere…"

Fluttershy nodded, "That is a problem…" she looked straight at him, "But perhaps if you befriend one servant that has a great impact on ponies, then the other servants will take their word and they'll have to believe you're being sincere with them."

He pondered on this and said, "Yes… what you say makes sense… But the question is, who should this servant be?"

Fluttershy thought deeply on it until her eyes widen and told him, "Applejack."

He gasped, "What?!"

"Listen, from what I know, a lot of the servants rely on her and her advice and given the recent events of what's happen to her and Spike, she deserves a bit of kindness from you…"

"Like what? Just let her go?" he turned away from her, "I can't do that, Fluttershy…"

She scowled and firmly inquired, "Why? Why do you have to keep her here? Just what kind of deal did you make with her parents?"

He turned back to her with a somber expression, "Are you sure you want to hear the whole story?"

"Yes! Please, Discord, tell me everything…"

"Very well. But I must warn you some of it is not pretty… Especially the parts where I'm concerned."

"I want to hear it, no matter what."

He made a sad smile, "That's one of things I like about you, Fluttershy, once you've set your mind to something, you don't give up so easily…" he sighed, "Just… brace yourself…"

"Okay…"

He sighed again and told her the story.