• Published 6th Aug 2017
  • 2,248 Views, 160 Comments

Heart of Gold - CartoonNerd12



Based on Rumpelstiltskin. Fluttershy, a humble miller's daughter is summoned to the castle to meet a king that's crude to everyone around him. Can this mare's golden heart help him change his ways?

  • ...
3
 160
 2,248

Chapter 12

It was late in the night and Fluttershy was sleeping soundly in her bed. But then she felt a tickle on her nose making her slowly wake up and felt groggy. But when she ended up staring into glowing yellow and red eyes she became alert and nearly let out a scream. A paw covered her mouth with a voice saying.

"Don't panic, it's just me."

She recognized the voice and muffled though his paw, "Discord?"

He let go and made a small ball of light between them so they could see each other better.

"What are you doing here?" she inquired.

"I figured now would be an ideal time for us to get back to that room full of straw and turn some of it into gold again."

"Now? In the middle of the night?"

"It was somewhat rather unavoidable…" he muttered and said to her, "But anyway, I told you that I'm doing this for selfish reasons so I need some kind of payment before we do this."

Fluttershy bit her lip and confessed, "I… I'm afraid I have nothing I can offer you…"

He went to her vanity and picked up a single pearl necklace, "How about this little trinket?"

"The king gave me that as a gift, I'm not sure if I should give it away."

He made a tiny smile that was barely seen in the dark and told her, "But surely because the king gave it to you you're allow to do what you want with it."

She suddenly recalled the king's words and replied, "He… he did say I could do whatever I want with it…"

"Well there you go! So do we have a bargain then?"

"I… guess we do."

"Excellent!" he snapped his fingers and they were back in the straw-filled tower and sat next to the spinning wheel. He pointed for her to start spinning and she did. He floated the straw to the wheel and it turned to gold!

As this was happening, he addressed her, "So, how's it been going with his royal pain in the butt?"

Fluttershy tried hard not to laugh but ended losing a few snickers. She answered the best she could, "It… hasn't been so bad… He went away on an important trip giving me and the rest of the servants to know each other and we've been having some fun without him knowing."

He said with intrigue, "Really? What kind of fun is that?"

"Well apparently, every time he goes away they have a party in the ballroom."

"Oh… Do tell…"

"It's mostly to help boost their moral since they've been stuck inside this castle for so long."

"I'm sure."

"Before he left, we had a talk at lunch where he practically admits to me that he keeps the servants around for his own commands."

"How positivity awful." he stated.

"And that is why I can't love him, I don't want to marry someone whose going to treat others so disrespectfully like that." she looked to the draconequus who seem to be pondering deeply over her words till finally he asked.

"If that is true, then why haven't you said that to him?"

"I was going to, but then I thought that I haven't seen Rainbow Dash in so long and the other servants have been so kind to me that I didn't like the idea of leaving them so soon. Besides, I still have to complete this task so he doesn't banish me and my family to the Everfree Forest!"

Discord seemed a little troubled by her words before he told her, "Well that's why I'm here so you can finish so he won't have the gall to banish a lovely mare such as yourself."

Fluttershy felt a small blush creeping on her face and turned her away so he couldn't see it.

He looked at how much gold they spun and said, "I think that's enough to appease the king for awhile."

Fluttershy looked and questioned, "Are you sure?"

He nodded and stated, "Now, I will be back but you'll have to find something to pay me in the meantime."

"But what can I…?"

"You'll figure out. Although here's a tip, it doesn't have to be anything grand just something to meet my fee."

"Oh… okay…"

He held up his fingers getting ready to snap, "Until then, milady…" he snapped and vanished from her sight.


Discord popped into the king's empty bedroom and looked around before taking a deep breath and uttered, "Room sweet room…" he went to his bed and went under his covers to get comfortable. Normally he would stay up longer just to savor his true form but that stupid summit drained him so he was more tired than usual. The moment he set back into his castle he quickly went to transform leaving Twilight to escort the Abyssinian count to his own room. He also wanted to see Fluttershy and find out what she been up to since he was gone and figure out her feelings toward his kingly self. He contemplated what she told him just now and felt very concern, which was a rare feeling for him. He knew he wasn't the best king in the world but for that sweet mare to outright dislike him like that and favor his servants more made him on edge knowing that he'll have to do something to make her change her mind or else he'll lose the wager.

But he was too exhausted to think of a proper plan right now and thought.

Tomorrow. I will think of something tomorrow…

He fell asleep.


Applejack and Spike slept close together in the bed when Applejack felt something bumping against her. She groaned out of her sleep, "Spike… stop kicking me…"

Spike moaned in reply, "I'm not kicking you…"

That made her wake up and sat up, "Then what…?" the kicking started up again and she noticed it was coming from… She gasped and quickly shook her husband, "Spike! Spike! Our baby's kicking!"

His eyes shot wide open and he sat up as well to feel the kicking coming from his wife's stomach. Tears of joy welled up in their eyes as they felt the thumping.

He told her, "We knew we were going to have a baby but just feeling it kick like that makes it more real…"

She beamed at him, "I know exactly what you mean…"

With a claw still on her abdomen he moved her head to lean in for a kiss and she happily obliged.

The baby kept kicking making her chuckle, "Looks like we got a fighter here."

Spike beamed and said, "That doesn't surprise me at all what with it's mother being fierce and I've had my share of heroic feats."

That made her playfully roll her eyes. Till she slightly frowned in concern while looking at her bloated stomach, thinking, It was easy telling Spike to take the baby once it's born but that was before I felt this amazing feeling… How will I be able to let go once the little one is here?


The next morning had arrived and Rarity got up to start her day. She looked over to where Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom were sleeping with a small smile on her face before turning to the empty bed in the room with a smirk knowing exactly where her roommate was.

She quietly left the room as she thought, It's just as well that she sleeps with her husband as it is proper when one is married. Her thoughts then dwelled to Fancy with a loving sigh, she couldn't wait until the day he proposes but there was the matter of him looking past their stations. She wanted to so badly tell him that he needn't worry about that since the king will bestow her own title upon their marriage but her agreement with the king stood that Fancy had to take her as a maid and she herself wanted to be sure of Fancy's love for her of him accepting her no matter what.

She told herself, "Just remember, Rarity, he loves you so he's bound to ask for your hoof in marriage soon, just be patient."

A tenor voice suddenly said, "You know, people are going to think you're crazy if they see you talking to yourself like that."

Rarity was startled by the voice and turned to see a tall, lean, and handsome cat though she questioned why she thought that last word until it hit her there was a strange cat in the castle!

She gasped and shouted, "Help! Help! Stranger in the castle!"

The cat held up his paws and quickly said, "Whoa, little darlin', it just so happens that I am an invited guest, just ask your boss, the king and he will tell you it's true."

She eyed him skeptically thought it was hard to do so since he was easy on eyes. She scolded herself, Stop thinking that! So what if he's attractive? You must remember that you are already taken by a handsome if not more so stallion.

She addressed him, "Very well, Mister…?"

He bowed, "Capper. Count Capper. Though my full title is Count Capper de Dapperpaws of Abyssinia."

She commented, "That's certainly quite a mouth full, count."

"But for a dazzling beauty such as you, you can call me Capper."

"And you're certainly quite the charmer, but I must ask that you refrain from calling me beautiful as flattering as that is but only my special some pony is allowed to do that."

"And I wouldn't expect anything else from a lovely pony such as yourself, the colt that holds your heart must be very special indeed."

She smiled, "He is." then she inquired, "I assume you have business with his highness, or else why would you be here?"

He smirked, "You're a very smart pony, and yes, I do have business with his majesty but it's strictly confidential and we can't share it to anyone."

"Of course not." she held her head high, "Now, if you would please excuse me, I must be on my way to complete my chores before the day is up."

"Please, don't let me keep you, and it's Rarity, right?"

She gawked and uttered in disbelief, "How… did you…?"

He smirked, "You said it while you were talking to yourself."

She started blushing in embarrassment, "Oh… yes… I guess I did…" then cleared her throat and started going, "Good day, Mister Capper." she walked away and went out of his sight.

Capper was staring after her and when she was gone, his thoughts dwelled.

Such a pretty thing, that it's only natural she would already been taken by another. Of course it doesn't help that when I first laid eyes on her, for the life of me I just couldn't look away… But it's just as well she's with someone else because had she fallen for me in return, our romance would have been doom before it even began