• Published 6th Aug 2017
  • 9,678 Views, 236 Comments

Speak From the Heart - Halp



Anon is pulled into Equestria by a long-lost artifact belonging to Discord. Without the ability to speak or write clearly after being transported, Anon is placed in Fluttershy's care.

  • ...
26
 236
 9,678

Chapter 8 - Day 6

When you woke up the following morning, it felt as if you had only slept for a few minutes. You were well-rested, but the events of the previous night were all you could think about. You turned your head and watched Fluttershy, who was quietly snoring on the opposite side of the bed. You pondered your feelings about having humored the “dream” she had that night. On one hand, as a human alone in a world of ponies, dragons, and whatever else existed, the fact that any creature in Equestria would have romantic interest in you was flattering, in a way. On the other hand, you had consciously reciprocated that interest, knowing that you weren’t dreaming. Even if it was just to humor her, you could have easily chosen to not follow-through. You still couldn’t think of a reason why you didn’t. You, could, however, recall the feeling of her soft lips against yours, and wistfully imagined what it would be like if it were to happen again. Not an unwelcome thought, for sure.

You considered reaching over to wake Fluttershy, surprised that the sunshine peeking through the trees outside hadn’t already. But if she thought last night were a dream, you realized, waking up in bed with you now would alert her to the truth. To be honest, you weren’t certain how she would react. You held your breath as you inched one foot off of the bed to the ground, careful not to shake the mattress. Occasionally, the sleeping mare would let out a murmur or two, causing you to freeze, but showed no signs of your escape attempt. After several agonizing minutes spent sliding onto the floor, you crawled quietly towards the door. A quiet squeak startled you as you swung it open, revealing an equally startled Angel, who stumbled forward into your face. He had probably just gotten up, and was here to wake Fluttershy up. You gently pushed him off of your cheek and pressed your index finger to your lips, letting out a quiet hush. Angel silently looked over towards Fluttershy and back to you several times, not quite piecing together the situation.

Within moments, he reached to knock on the door nonetheless, and you barely managed to wedge your palm between his paw and its target. Thinking quickly under his deepening glare, you made a chopping motion with your hands, as one would a knife and cutting board. You were more than willing to make his breakfast a thousand times over if it meant avoiding trying to draw or pantomime an excuse for the night before. Angel seemed to understand, rubbing his stomach and pointing downstairs for confirmation. You nodded rapidly and pushed the door open further. Content with his new personal chef, Angel hopped onto your shoulder and held on tight as you rose to your feet. Rather than deal with the creaking stairs again, you sat on the banister and slid quietly down to the living room. You cupped your hand to your ear and reaffirmed that Fluttershy was indeed asleep, and moved to the kitchen to start preparing Angel’s breakfast.

You gave out a sigh of relief as Angel inspected the tiny slices of carrot on the cutting board, finally satisfied with your sixth attempt at cutting them properly. You glanced over to your whiteboard, propped up against a ceramic jar and covered in tiny doodles of cut carrots. You couldn’t figure out how Fluttershy put up with Angel’s attitude towards having such precise carrot slice thickness. At least he’d had enough patience to demand your whiteboard and marker as to properly teach you how to prepare his meal, and with such pomp, too. The way he waved the marker around like a baton as you tried to copy his drawing had been surprisingly irritating. You slid the slices into a bowl and carried it to the dining room table, where he promptly plopped down and started devouring his food. You hesitated, and he paused halfway through chewing to stare at you impatiently. You swore you heard him sniff as he waved you off curtly. Your mild annoyance was kept at bay by your gratitude towards the baby rabbit; you were worried for a short time that he would give up on you and rush upstairs at any moment. In hindsight, you could have just woken Fluttershy up yourself by pretending to have been downstairs all night, but you were still unsure how she would react to having been carried by you in the first place. As you reached to retrieve your whiteboard, as if on cue, a faint creaking sound came from the other room- the sound of Fluttershy’s door opening. You took a deep breath and exhaled. Out of the corner of your eye, you noticed Angel give you a brief thumbs-up before stuffing his face with more carrot.

“Anon? Angel? Hello?” Fluttershy called out. Surprisingly, she sounded more curious than concerned. You gave her a short wave from inside the kitchen, beckoning her to come in.

“Oh my, did you make breakfast for Angel? And he’s eating it?” she asked, stupefied. She stepped past you and inspected the bowl of carrots as Angel continued shoveling slice after slice into his mouth. He grumbled in frustration as she went further, looking into his eyes and ears.

“Well, he’s not visibly ill, and he’s eating, so I suppose you were really lucky,” she added with a pleased sigh. “A wonderful night’s rest, and now a break from making breakfast for everypony- this is certainly a lovely start to the day.” You both exchanged smiles as she yawned and stretched her wings, and set about preparing your own meals.


Minutes later, several sharp knocks rang out from outside the front door. You rose from your seat to answer it, giving Fluttershy a polite nod while you gestured for her to continue eating. Oddly enough, you heard muffled arguing behind the door as you reached for the knob.

“Are you sure this is a good idea, Twilight?” a familiar voice whined.

“Of course! I’m sure you’ll be fine.” Unsurprisingly, Twilight was the first to greet you when you opened the door. “Good morning, Anon! Are you ready to go?” Go... where?, you thought.

“Who is it?” Fluttershy called out, sticking her head out from the kitchen doorway.

“It’s me and Rainbow Dash,” Twilight replied. “We’re picking up Anon so he can spend some time with her, today.”

“Spend time with Rainbow?” Fluttershy asked quizzically. You were equally confused. Just past Twilight, you could see the blue pegasus laying atop a ground-level cloud, lazily watching clouds roll by overhead. You could also see a rope… seemingly tied around the cloud. Was that normal?

“Yeah. Since Rarity just got home, Twilight figured Anon should hang out with me today,” Rainbow Dash explained, sitting up to look at you. “I still have to work, though, so you’ll be following me around on this cloud, here.” You jumped a little when you felt something gently brush your thigh; you looked down to see Fluttershy suddenly beside you, inspecting the cloud.

“But how are you going to do that?” she asked. A tickling sensation went up your leg as you felt the tip of her tail wrap timidly around your ankle.

“Simple- I’ll use my cloud-walking spell on him, like anypony else.” Twilight smiled at you reassuringly as she spoke. You were reminded of your past experiences with her magic, and adjusted the choker around your neck. It was easy to forget that, at any time, anything you did could be observed and recorded. You had conveniently left the choker in the bathroom after your shower the night before, though- at least your ‘moment’ with Fluttershy was still secret.

“Don’t you think that’s a bit, you know, dangerous?” Fluttershy pressed.

“I’ll make sure he’s fine, don’t worry,” interrupted Rainbow Dash, rolling off of the cloud. “Now c’mon, I’ve gotta get busy clearing clouds so I can practice my routine!” You looked down to Fluttershy and patted her head reassuringly. You hadn’t known Rainbow Dash for very long, but if she was anything like the rest of Fluttershy’s friends, you were sure that you would be fine.

After running to the kitchen to retrieve your marker and whiteboard, you gave Fluttershy a thumbs-up before walking out the front door. Twilight’s magic enveloped your whole body as she cast her spell on you, and you couldn’t help but consider Fluttershy’s earlier comment. Still, the opportunity to actually walk on a cloud seemed too good to pass up. You slowly pressed one hand onto the cloud’s surface, surprised that there was, as expected, little-to-no give as you leaned on it with some hesitation. You tested it a couple more times, then clambered on top of the cloud like a rowdy child. It held you up pretty well, sinking only a little under your weight.

“Are we ready to go, now?” Rainbow Dash remarked impatiently, now hovering above you with her hooves crossed.

“Looks like it. Let me get that for you,” Twilight replied, her horn glowing. The rope around the cloud looped over itself a couple feet above your head, tightening into a knot with just enough length leftover for Rainbow Dash to clamp her teeth down on. A gust of air blasted over your head as the blue pegasus bolted into the sky, dragging you and the cloud behind her. You could see your knuckles whitening from the vice grip you had on the cloud, and your chest felt heavy as inertia pinned you to its surface. You imagined the experience would have only been more terrifying if you could actually see the ground. As you considered the appropriateness of silver lining puns, the cloud steadily decelerated, and you could hear Rainbow Dash’s wings slowing down as the sound of rushing air subsided.

“Sorry if I scared you, Anon. Just wanted a little warm-up, you know? Just a short sprint,” she spoke haughtily, dropping the rope beside you. You sat up on the cloud and briefly checked that your body was in one piece, and took a few deep breaths. Rainbow Dash’s grin faltered a bit, and she moved to face you.

“I didn’t actually scare you that bad, did I?” You pinched your finger and thumb together in response- just a little bit.

“You don’t need to worry, though,” Rainbow Dash reassured. “I won’t let anything happen to you while we’re up here. I’ll even go slower for you, too.” Acknowledging your nod of agreement, she gave you a short salute before speeding away towards a nearby patch of clouds.

She sailed straight through them, dispersing them with a barely-audible poof. You had barely registered the action when she banked toward another group of clouds, then another, and another. No matter their size, the sheer force of the air around her whizzing by completely removed any trace of the clouds. You hadn’t paid it much attention when you were on the ground before, but the skies over Ponyville often seemed devoid of any cloud cover, save for the first time you saw it rain. After clearing out the nearby area, Rainbow Dash zoomed back towards the cloud and landed next to you. Her coat was dotted with droplets of water, and you curiously watch her shake the water out of her vibrant mane.

“You look like you’ve never seen somepony clear clouds before,” she snickered, noticing your stare. You shook your head, bemused, earning a gasp from her. “Seriously? Humans don’t control the weather where you’re from? If the weather there’s anything like Equestria, it’s a wonder there are any of you left!” she exclaimed, absolutely dumbfounded. You shrugged, and gripped the cloud once again as Rainbow Dash picked up the rope and carried you towards the space over town. On the ground behind you, you could see the Fluttershy and Twilight still standing outside the cottage. You waved slowly as the distance between you grew, and just barely noticed their waves in return.

Later, you finished rolling up one last tiny cloud-ball in your hands, and gingerly placed it atop your cloud-man. Satisfied with your work, you searched the skies for a familiar rainbow-streaked blur. Rainbow Dash had finished her cloud-clearing minutes ago, and had been kind enough to leave a small one for you to mold and play with before practicing her Wonderbolts routine. Not that you weren’t interested in watching her- keeping up with her was just a challenge. Even when she would fly head-on towards you, the pegasus was almost impossible to track, aside from the faint trail that followed her at high speeds. From the sound of it, the Wonderbolts were pretty similar to those fighter jet shows on Earth, although explaining such a concept to Rainbow Dash had been a fruitless endeavor; the closest thing to jets she knew of were machines akin to biplanes, and she had only half-disguised her disdain for them when she brought them up.

After a few seconds you spotted Rainbow Dash, rocketing high into the atmosphere above you. The trail behind her started to dissipate as she angled herself vertically, until she arced backwards into a stall. You felt strange watching her falling towards you; most of her tricks were at breakneck speeds faster than that. As she continued her descent, you noticed her wings had stopped moving and were limply hanging behind her, and you sprang to your feet on the cloud. Did she blackout from G-forces? Not enough oxygen? Your heart jumped into your throat as you braced yourself to catch her. The first day you had met Rainbow Dash, you’d managed to snag her out of controlled flight once, but from the height she was falling from, you had little faith in your reaction time-

Sike!” Your body tensed up milliseconds before the pegasus’ body reached you, only for her to whip away from you, perfectly horizontal. You could hear her distant laughter over the wind buffeting you. Seconds later, she returned to your cloud, still amused.

“Man, you should have seen your face,” she guffawed. “You really thought I couldn’t handle a few Gs? I’m no amateur, you know.” You crossed your arms and sat down, unable to convey your annoyance by other means. You tried to imagine what Fluttershy would do in your situation, provided she didn’t pass out in shock. Putting on your best attempt at parental disapproval, you calmly stared Rainbow Dash down. She stopped laughing, but kept her cheeky smile as she gave your shoulder a jab.

“Oh, don’t look at me like that, Anon. I already told you I wouldn’t let anything happen to you, right?” Much to her chagrin, you stood firm and unmoving, letting the awkward silence speak for you. She met your stare with some uncertainty, only to step away from you with a standoffish huff.

“Man, it’s only been a few days since I last saw you, and Fluttershy’s already gotten to you,” Rainbow Dash complained. “Do you even do anything fun when you’re at home with her?” You grunted in defense, and pulled out your whiteboard, gesturing towards her with them.

“Drawing? That’s what you call fun?” she asked, resuming her usual cocky grin. “Is there any other ‘fun’ stuff you like to do?” You readied the marker in your hand, only to realize that you, in fact, didn’t do much else. Your short time in Equestria so far had been spent sleeping, drawing, and doing manual labor.

“You don’t do anything else for fun?” she pressed with a devious expression. “I heard from Pinkie Pie and Twilight that you’re pretty close to Fluttershy, though.” You folded your arms again as you gave her a questioning grunt in response. What was she getting at?

“I mean, Fluttershy’s taken care of all sorts of animals, but not any like you before. I don’t remember seeing any of them pet her before, either.” Rainbow Dash’s shift to a more playful tone sent a chill up the back of your neck. “Really makes a mare wonder, doesn’t it?” She had the same expression on her face as she did when she stole Twilight’s book from you the week before, and the way she slowly tiptoed around you was even more unnerving. You’d never done anything untoward to Fluttershy or any pony before, but you had difficulty maintaining a straight face under her impromptu interrogation as memories of the night before flashed in your mind. The mare picked up on your mild discomfort, and paused in front of you.

“Remember the first time we met? When you tried getting back Twilight’s book that I stole away from you?” You cleared your throat and nodded, trying to regain your composure. “That was fun, playing keep away and running around...” She shot you a sidelong glance as she stopped mid-sentence to stretch her toned wings, as if showing off. They were about the same size as Fluttershy’s, but were less fluffy and much more sleek. You would have been tempted to ask permission to touch them, had the topic of conversation been different.

“Then there was the part you caught me...” Rainbow Dash’s voiced trailed off as she made eye contact with you. Her expression had softened, like she was revisiting a fond memory. “You were so gentle then... do you remember what I said to you when we were on the ground, all close together and stuff?” You became suddenly aware of Rainbow Dash inching towards your face, stopping short enough for you to make out some of the details in her magenta-colored eyes. You could even make out the sound of her steady breathing over the gentle breeze washing over you. The image from that day, of her nervous smile quickly looking away from yours as you held her up, was crystal clear in your mind. You had little issue refusing her offer then, but if the same circumstances happened again, you weren’t so cer-

I said ‘I was just teasing,’” she whispered.

Her mouth contorted as she tried not to laugh, while you briefly considered jumping off of the cloud. Full blush, heart pounding, sweaty palms- you realized just how insane your reaction, as a human, was to the past thirty seconds of being led on by a three-and-a-half foot tall pegasus. Combined with the night before, you were legitimately worried if you had started losing your mind. What was worse, you became vividly aware of the sweat forming beneath the choker on your neck, the one that recorded your actions and emotions. You turned your head absentmindedly towards the edge of the cloud. Seconds passed as you contemplated whether or not you were in some sort of fever dream.

“H-hey! Anon! It was just a joke, I promise!” You felt Rainbow Dash’s warm hoof direct your attention back to her now concerned smile. “And not even entirely a joke, anyway.” You searched her face for any sign she was pressing any further, but she seemed genuine this time.

“Lemme explain. I, uh, overheard about your run-in with Lyra yesterday,” she continued, backing up from you and sitting down. “Well, more like she was freaking out to everypony over ‘the new human’ who had come into town, and I heard her during my lunch break.” You followed her glance towards your hands, which you were casually wiping off on your jeans.

“She wouldn’t stop talking about your hands, a-and how jealous she was of Fluttershy. It got pretty annoying, actually.” One of Rainbow Dash’s wings shifted slightly as she spoke. “But I’ll be honest, it got me thinking about them, too. Like, a lot. It probably sounds really weird, since I’m a pony and you’re not, and you’ve only been here a few days, and-” You stopped her rambling with a raised hand, and simply shook your head.

Ponies’ fascination towards (or fear of) you was expected at this point. You were an alien creature to ponies, and the feeling was mutual, more or less. Why most the ponies you’d met so far were drawn to your hands, though, you weren’t entirely sure. Still, you sympathized with the mare, and offered your hand, palm-up, towards her. Rainbow Dash glanced apprehensively between you and your hand while simultaneously raising her hoof towards you, and daintily grazed your fingertips, sliding down towards your palm and rubbing around it in small circles. Every now and again, you could feel the tickling, velvet-like surface of her hoof grasp the different features of your palm- the knuckles, the heel, and everywhere else. You lost track of time as you both sat silently atop the cloud, letting her feel your hands, even occasionally gripping and feeling her hooves yourself.

Eventually, Rainbow Dash withdrew her hooves, and stared at the cloud surface beneath her. You lowered your head just enough to catch her attention, but she only cleared her throat and lowered her head further in kind. She looked… expectant. You couldn’t quite place what she wanted, and so leaned down farther.

“C’mon, just do it already, Anon.” she grumbled. She adjusted her wings again and sighed as she inched the crown of her head forward. You quickly realized that she was offering it to you. Your hand practically lifted of its own volition to oblige her, but she suddenly snapped back up with a loud groan before it reached its rainbow-colored target.

“Ugh! I want to try, but I feel like… like a pet!” she exclaimed. You couldn’t hold back a wry chuckle, and adjusted your choker with exaggerated movements. She didn’t respond. After a moment of quick thinking, you reached for one of her forelegs. She yelped in surprise but left her leg slack, allowing you to lean forward and bring her hoof to your own head. The heat radiating through your hair to your scalp was a strange sensation, but you still encouraged her to run her hoof along your head. You hadn’t considered being on the receiving end of the gesture before. Rainbow Dash humored you for a short while, before giggling and lifting your head up by your chin.

“I’m not gonna lie, that was weird. But not as weird as I thought.” She closed her eyes as she spoke, and you seized your moment to strike. You quickly plopped a hand atop her head, and started running your fingers through her smooth, thin mane. You paused as you heard the mare whine, self-conscious, yet felt her push back against your palm.

“You... don’t have to stop.” Taking her half-hearted suggestion as an order, you moved to sit beside her and continued combing through her short-cropped mane. For a brief moment, you found it unfortunate that there wasn’t much hair to feel, compared to Fluttershy. Still, Rainbow Dash seemed just as receptive to your touch, especially when you started to scratch behind her ears. She occasionally mumbled to herself and hid her face from your curious eyes, but clearly enjoyed the sensation nonetheless. In moments, however, you noticed her start to tremble, first in her wings and progressing through her whole body. You moved back just in time for her wings to unfurl and send her several feet into the air above you.

“B-break’s over! I need to keep practicing my routine!” she laughed nervously, attempting to wipe the vivid blush from her face. “I’ll be back in a little while!” She took off into the distance without waiting for your response, leaving you with a familiar tightness in your chest.

The remaining part of your morning was completely devoid of Rainbow Dash’s pranks and teasing. You made an entire army of tiny cloud men to keep you company, and Rainbow Dash continued practicing her routine. Eventually, the afternoon rolled by, and you shared a quick lunch with Rainbow Dash that she picked up from town. You weren’t surprised to find that she ate considerably more than you, given her regular, vigorous exercise. You both spent her practice breaks in relative silence, occasionally interrupted by her asking a question about you and what you thought about ponies, Equestria, and the like. Honestly, you didn’t know how you were supposed to feel; everything seemed like some extended dream that you couldn’t wake up from, yet you were motivated to make the best of it all. She seemed to understand how you felt from your simple doodles and pantomime, though, or did a good job of pretending she did. Once she was satisfied with her progress for the day, Rainbow Dash settled herself onto your cloud and sprawled out beside you. You pointed out the wispy cirrus clouds floating high above you, wondering if she had more work to do.

“Those? Nah, those are too high to worry about. I’d freeze if I tried going that far up,” she mumbled, stretching her limbs out dramatically with a yawn. Tempted by the idea of a nap, you copied her position and spread yourself out on the cloud’s surface. You scooted toward the center to avoid any chance of falling off it, bumping gently into Rainbow Dash’s side. No reaction. You craned your neck forward to see that she had instantly dozed off, her face half-buried into a bunched-up area of the cloud. The urge to draw her close to you arose in the back of your mind, but you resisted; while you may have shared a moment of bonding before, Rainbow Dash clearly wasn’t as accustomed to touch as Fluttershy was, and you didn’t feel like pushing your luck.

“Hey, Anon! Rainbow Dash! Is that you?” Twilight’s voice called out from below you. Rainbow Dash let out a low groan, and completely buried her face into the cloud. Within seconds, you saw the lavender alicorn rise up and land onto the cloud.

“Mm mmmf mmmf mmf, mmmmf,” Rainbow Dash grumbled, muffled by the cloud.

“What was that?” Twilight asked with amusement.

“I said, ‘I literally just fell asleep, Twilight,’” the pegasus replied, lifting her head up for a moment to speak before letting it fall back into the cloud with a pomf.

“Right. Well, I thought it was a good time to take Anon home for the day.”

“Wait, already!?” Rainbow Dash’s head bolted upright. “What time is it?”

“About three-thirty.” You watched Rainbow Dash think for several seconds before hanging her head in disappointment. “Don’t worry, you’ll get plenty of time to spend with him on your day off,” Twilight added in a sing-song voice.

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Oh, nothing, nothing at all.” Twilight winked at you briefly before enveloping the cloud with her magic. “If you need to rest, you’re welcome to head home. I’ll take Anon back to the cottage myself.” Rainbow Dash opened her mouth to protest, but withheld her reply. After saying her goodbyes, she took off towards town, leaving you and Twilight on the cloud alone. You felt wind brush past your face as the cloud slowly descended towards the Everfree forest, and stood up next to Twilight.

“So, did you have a good day, Anon?” she asked with a cheerful smile. You grunted in agreement. “Good, good. I was originally worried about how things would go between you and Rainbow Dash, but I can tell that you both had a good time.” She kept facing forward as she spoke, not focused on guiding the cloud, but apparently on something else.

“You know, Celestia originally suggested that I should follow you around with everypony else?” Twilight added. “She figured that it would be better for me to be present to help study human behavior better. Personally, though, I think that choker works perfectly.” She met your stunned look, closing her eyes and smiling genuinely.

“I only intend on reporting the important things, though, so don’t worry. Not that you have anything to worry about, that is,” she mused. “There’s nothing wrong with acquainting oneself with others through physical contact, right?” You wanted to agree with Twilight and ignore her perfectly reasonable excuse for her continued spying. But deep down, part of you still questioned her enthusiasm. Twilight’s attitude towards you had shifted dramatically since the first day you showed up, from wary and almost threatening to relaxed and trusting, yet just then she had admitted that she was still observing your every move. You unclasped the choker from your neck and examined the gemstone in thought.

“Speaking frankly, I wouldn’t be heartbroken if you chose not to wear it anymore. But that would mean I’d have to get data from everypony by myself, and you can imagine how difficult that would be.” Twilight turned towards you as she spoke, looking more serious than before. “I know I don’t really seem like the most trustworthy pony to you right this moment, but could I ask you to keep wearing it for now?” You raised an eyebrow and gave her a questioning look- the most pressing thought on your mind was ‘why?’

“I can’t exactly explain why I need you to keep wearing that choker, but I promise you, it’s not just for my own self-gratification. There’s something I’d like to find out for the other princesses, and I need your help to do it. Does that make sense?”

You glanced at the choker and back to Twilight, recalling the initial goal you set when you started living with Fluttershy. You wanted to convince Princess Celestia that you were more than the danger she expected you to be, and Twilight’s research was key to meeting that goal. Getting to leave to cottage with the Elements was certainly a privilege, but it wasn’t the freedom you wanted. That would likely come with time, and allowing Twilight to observe you--for whatever purpose that held--just seemed like the right decision to make. You returned the choker to its home around your neck and nodded sagely to Twilight, who returned the gesture.

“I’m glad you understand, Anon. If everything goes the way I think it will, it’ll make more sense, soon enough.”

Author's Note:

After many, many, many delays and hasty editing sessions, I'm happy to be back with another update. I've also got an announcement that might cheer some of you up- I will be participating in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) all November, and intend to work on Speak From the Heart for that duration. You can keep up with my progress by clicking this sentence. For those of you who don't know, Nanowrimo is a novel-writing competition (albeit other writing forms, like fanfiction) that takes place during the month of November, where writers aim to write 50,000 words in the span of 30 days.

You're reading that right- I intend to write 9-10 chapters' worth of story in just over four weeks. I can't guarantee that I'll keep up that pace after November (read: I cannot)), but I hope that you all enjoy it nonetheless.