• Published 14th Jul 2012
  • 2,860 Views, 97 Comments

The Guardian Shadow - KnightBrony



Hi, my name is Shadow, and I used to be an ordinary, everyday guy. But that all changed when i got a

  • ...
15
 97
 2,860

Chapter 18: Death and Betrayal

Chapter 18


Death and Betrayal

The room we had gotten wasn't really anything special. Just a simple room with five beds and, thankfully, two bathrooms.

Once everyone had gotten settled, I said “Ok, so let's go over what we know,” I said. Before I could start, there was a knock at the door.

“Who could that be?” Nova asked. I walked up to the door and stood with my back to it.

“Well, it's funny you should say that Nova. We have a guest joining us this evening,” I said pushing the door, revealing Iron Spear on the other side. Everyone grumbled and protested.

“Hey hey hey! I don't like this either, but Celestia sent him along with us to help; and right now we need all the help we can get. So lets try and keep from ripping each other's throats out till after this is done shall we?” I said. Everyone huffed and went silent.

“Okay then. First let's examine what we know,” I said leading Iron Spear in and closing the door.

“We know that the victims are all travelers, and that the people in this town are afraid to give us any information. So knowing that, what else have we found out?” I asked. Everyone was silent.

“Seriously. No one has anything else to go on,” I said.

“Didn't you say you got attacked by this guy earlier?” Scarlet asked.

“Yeah, but I didn't get a good look at him. But from what I could gather, he's treating this like a game,” I said using my hoof to stroke my imaginary beard.

“Iron Spear, were you able to gather anything?”

He chuckled at this and stood up “Yes actually. Unlike you rookies I actually was able to get some information out of the people here,” he said in a pompous tone.

“Really, how?” Nebula asked.

“Let's just say I gave them a little incentive,” he said with a slightly creepy chuckle.

“What kind of incentive?” I asked a little creeped out.

“Well, I might have told them I'd lock them in the darkest dungeon in the Everfree Forest if they didn't tell me what I wanted.”

“Okay. A little unethical but I'll buy it. What were you able to find out?” I asked.

“All the victims disappeared after going to this club,” he said producing a card from his vest pocket. We all looked at the card.

The Silver Griffon

“Sounds like a fun place. Any other info?” I asked. He shook his head and placed the business card on the table.

“So what's our next move?” Scarlet asked. I stood up and donned my cloak and sword.

“Isn't it obvious? We go to this club and find out what's going on,” I said about to head out the door.

“Wait just a minute, we need a plan first,” Iron Spear said.

“Oh right. Well, what should we do?” I said. Iron Spear got up and started pacing.

“We need somepony to go in as bait. Someone who can lure the kidnapper out. Once that happens, we can capture the kidnapper and bring him to justice,” he said clasping his hooves together.

We all thought about this for a moment. On the surface it seemed like a good plan, albeit a risky one.

“It sounds like a good plan, but just one problem. Who are we gonna get to act as bait?” I asked. Iron Spear turned his head and looked over at Nova and Nebula. They looked at him confused. Then they both got what he was saying.

“Wait, us!?” Nebula asked shocked and scared.

“Sweet! We get to help catch the bad guy!” Nova said overexcited.

Nebula smacked Nova upside the head and glared at him “Nova, this is serious!” she chided.

“I know. But come on, we finally get to do something besides just standing around while Shadow has all the fun,” he said.

“Wait just a minute. Iron Spear, are you sure about this plan?” I asked.

“Of course. They're travelers, the main targets, so they'll be the perfect bait. Plus, they look pretty gullible, which will make them the perfect targets for the kidnapper,” he said with a creepy sense of sureness.

“Hey!” they both said. Nova looked about ready to punch Iron Spear, and it's not hard to see why. But given that Nova would've gotten the his ass kicked, I stopped him.

“Calm down Nova. Look, I don't agree with his phrasing, but he does have a point. You two are the best suited for this mission.”

“Why can't we send Iron Spear and Scarlet in. They'd have a better chance in a fight,” Nova protested.

I leaned in close and said “Can you really imagine those two being in a club?” I asked. Nova thought about this for a moment, then nodded.

“You have a point. I can't imagine those two having any kind of fun,” he said laughing. I hate to admit it, but I joined in too. Unfortunately, Scarlet and Iron Spear heard us and clocked us both on the back of the head.

“If you two idiots are done whispering, can we get the rest of this plan sorted out? You were the one who said we should get this done quickly Shadow,” Scarlet chided.

I rubbed the newly formed bump on my head “Right. So here's the plan.....”




The plan was fairly simple. Nova, Nebula, and Iron Spear would enter the club as normal people. Me and Scarlet would work on the inside. Me helping with the band and her working as a waitress. Jade would stay watch on the outside in case anything went wrong. Since the kidnapper knew who I was, I changed my appearance just enough so that I wouldn't be recognized. I had on a beanie, a shirt that hid my stripes pretty well, and a tie.

Now, having never gone to an actual club on Earth, I couldn't make a comparison. But I will say that The Silver Griffon was quite the place. There were two different stages, one for a DJ and another for a live band. There was also a bar, a large dance floor, and tables and booths. The place had loud music blaring every second, either from the DJ or stage. Neon and laser lights lit up the whole place. Ponies, griffons, and even a few zebras partied like there was no tomorrow.

Luckily, the band that was playing had just lost their lead guitar and vocalist, so they needed someone to fill in. I auditioned and they let me fill in for the night.

The plan went into motion once the sun went down. Scarlet and I were already inside waiting for Nova and the others. As I was helping the band set up for the show, Scarlet pulled me aside. She did not look happy.

Not hard to see why. She was dressed in a skimpy outfit by pony standards consisting of a very tight dress with a skirt that showed off her.....biological advantages. Okay, I admit it, I snuck a look when I could. It was even harder not to stare with her standing right in front of me.

Scarlet saw me staring and blushed even more, this time with anger “You're enjoying this aren't you, you little perv!?”

I stifled a laugh “No, not at all. I think you look really nice” I said looking away.

She bopped me on the head “You would say that. Don't think I haven't seen you sneaking peeks at me,” she said.

“I have no idea what you're talking about?” I said playing innocent. She raised an eyebrow at me and got a devious smile.

“Oh really?” she said. She turned around and thwacked me with her tail, giving me an ample view of her flank. Now it was my turn to blush.

“Ok, so I may have peeked once or twice.”

Scarlet just sighed and then punched me in the arm “Whatever. How long is this gonna take? I'd rather not be in this slutty outfit any longer than I have to be.”

“Hopefully not that long. It all depends on how well everyone plays their roles,” I said. The band leader yelled at me to get back to work.

“I gotta get back. Just bear with it for a while,” I said. She sighed and began to walk away.

“And if it's any consolation, you really do like nice Scarlet,” I said giving her a wink. This made her blush again “Sh..shut up!” she said and walked away. I laughed and went back to setting up the band equipment.


After another hour or so, Nova, Nebula, and Iron Spear walked through the door. They were all dressed in what I can only assume is normal club clothes. Iron Spear was still dressed basically the same but had added a blue coat over his vest. Nova was dressed in a red vest and a loose fitting black tie with his hair slicked back. Nebula was dressed a little more modestly. Just some eye liner and a frilly skirt. Iron Spear saw me and tipped his hat, which was the signal that the plan was starting. I nodded and slung a guitar over my shoulder. Now all we had to do was wait for the kidnapper to make a move.

The band and I took the stage, accompanied by the cheers of the audience. The other band member, consisting of an earth pony and two unicorns, took their places as I walked up the mic.

Now I'm sure you're wondering by now how I, the guy terrified of singing on stage, could be where I am now. Well, I said that I was terrified of singing alone. With a band behind me, I could sing anything.

But anyway, back to the action. I spoke into the mic “Hello Silver Griffon! You ponies ready to finally start this party!?” I yelled. The audience cheered and hollered.

“What do you say guys, should we give them a show?” I said to the rest of the band. They proceeded to play a few quick notes on their respective instruments.

“I'll take that as a yes. Let's do this!” I yelled as we started the song

Hey Hey
Hey Hey

Sometimes I feel like everybody's got a problem
Sometimes I feel like nobody wants to solve them
I know that people say we're never going to make it
But I know we're going to get through this
(Close your eyes and please don't let me go)
Don't, Don't, Don't, Don't let me go now
(Close your eyes don't let me let you go)
Don't, Don't, Don't

Take my hand tonight
Let's not think about tomorrow
Take my hand tonight
We could find some place to go
Cause our hearts are locked forever
And our love will never die
Take my hand tonight
One last time

As I was performing, I was keeping a careful eye on my friends and Iron Spear. Scarlet was serving drinks and trying to act nice, despite the fact that she was getting hit on by every other stallion, and even a few mares. I admit it, I was a little jealous. But I couldn't focus on that. I scanned the crowd and saw Nebula and Iron Spear by the bar while Nova was dancing with a mare dressed in an even more revealing outfit than Scarlet's. Nova looked like he had had a few already, while Nebula was just shaking her head at her brother's stupidity. Iron Spear saw me and shook his head. No activity yet.

The city sleeps and we're lost in the moment
Another kiss says we're lying on the pavement
If they could see us they would tell us that we're crazy
But I know they just don't understand
(Close your eyes and please don't let me go)
Don't, Don't, Don't, Don't let me go now
(Close your eyes don't let me let you go)
Don't, Don't, Don't

I started running off the stage and dancing along the tables. The crowd went nuts. Then I jumped up on the bar and pulled a complete Marty McFly. Except instead of awkward silence, I got massive applause and cheers. To add a little more flare, I back-flipped back onto the stage, which got me even more applause.

Take my hand tonight
Let's not think about tomorrow
Take my hand tonight
We could find some place to go
Cause our hearts are locked forever
And our love will never die
Take my hand tonight
One last time

Hey Hey
Hey Hey

The raindrops
The tears keep falling
I see your face and it keeps me going
If I get lost your light's going to guide me
And I know that you can take me home
You can take me home

Take my hand tonight
Let's not think about tomorrow
Take my hand tonight
We could find some place to go
Cause our hearts are locked forever
And our love will never die
Take my hand tonight
One last time

Take my hand tonight
Let's not think about tomorrow
Take my hand tonight
We could find some place to go
Cause our hearts are locked forever
And our love will never die (Love will never die)
Take my hand tonight
One last time

The crowd cheered as we finished our performance. I high-hoofed the other band members and walked back up to the microphone.

“You ponies want some more!?” I yelled. They all cheered. I nodded to the other band members and we played a couple more songs. When we were finally done, we bowed and I went to meet my friends.

My friends and Iron Spear were waiting at the bar. Nebula was berating Nova for his drunken stupidity, Iron Spear was drinking a mug of cider, and Scarlet was taking a break.

“Nice performance Stripes,” Scarlet said. Everyone, even Iron Spear agreed with her.

I smiled and said “Thanks guys. But let's save that for later. Did any of you find anything?” I asked. They all shook their heads.

Nova hiccuped and said “I did meet a really awesome mare though,” with a drunken smile.

“Yeah, I saw that,” I leaned over and whispered to Nebula “How many mugs has he had?”

“Half a mug”.

“Half a mug!? He's hammered,” I said.

“Nova can't hold his booze. I told him to stick with something light, but he didn't listen to me,” she said shaking her head.

“I can so hold my booze Nebula!” Nova argued. Before they could start arguing again, I grabbed a glass of water that was sitting on the counter and dumped it on Nova.

“Sober up already,” I said. Nova shook his head and glared at me.

“Moving on from that, you guys haven't seen anyone who might look suspicious?” I asked.


“Well, there is that stallion over there,” Scarlet said pointing. We followed her hoof to see a stallion surrounded by about ten mares. He looked like one of those typical player types. He had the slicked back hair, the open shirt, the gold chain, and had on sunglasses indoors. I had no problems believing he was a suspect.

“Well he certainly looks suspicious, but we can't base anything on just appearance. Do you have anything else to go on?”

“Well, I've been hearing from the other waitresses that he's some kind of big shot in the music business and a notorious lady's stallion,” she said.

“Seems fitting. Anything else?” She shook her head. Before I could say anything else, another waitress came up and set a drink down in front of me.

“Compliments of the stallion over there doll,” she said with a wink. I looked over at the stallion in question and saw him lifting his drink up to me. I turned back to my friends, who all looked confused.

“Don't look at me. He must have liked the performance,” I said. That's when an idea struck me.

“This could work in our favor. If I talk with him, I might be able to get some information.” Everyone nodded their heads except Iron Spear.

“That wasn't the plan. Nova and Nebula were supposed to act as the bait. Plus, if he is the kidnapper, he'll know your face. ” he said.

“Normally I'd agree with you, but seeing as how Nova is drunk off his ass, we have no alternative,” I said.

“He'll still recognize you, what'll you do if he starts getting suspicious?” he said.

“Simple, I'll just have Nebula pour on a little charm,” I said. Nebula spat out her drink.

“What!?” she said.

“Relax, I'm not saying you have to do anything too drastic, just charm him a little if he starts getting suspicious,” I said.

“But Shadow, I..”

“Too late let's go” I said dragging her along

“Wait, what are...Shadow!”

We walked up to the stallion. He saw us and smiled. He got up and patted me on the back. It took all my will power not to choke on his terrible cologne.

“Ah, here's the big star! Great performance kid, really good stuff! I see you've brought a friend,” he said kissing Nebula's hoof. She looked absolutely mortified. I got in between them.

“Yeah. This is Nebula. I'm Shadow,” I said shaking his hoof.

“A pleasure. I'm Silver Tongue. Come and sit,” he said motioning to a couple couches. Nebula and I sat together as Silver Tongue ordered a round of drinks.

“So what brings you to Bridleburg? I haven't seen you around before,” he said.

“Oh just passing through. I'm a traveling musician and I'm always looking for work. The band needed a replacement band member and I just filled in.”

“So you're a musician, that's wonderful!” he leaned in close to me “You know, if you're ever looking for someone to help you make your break,” he produced a business card out of nowhere “You come to me,” he said. I took the card and thanked him. He leaned back and looked around.

“You know what, this club's getting kinda boring. What do you say we all go have a little more fun,” he said. I looked at Nebula, who looked just about ready to cry. I patted her shoulder and gave her a reassuring smile. I turned back to Silver Tongue and said “You know what, sounds good. Let me just go pay my tab and we'll go. Come on Nebula,” I said. Nebula was all too eager to follow.

Everyone was waiting back at the bar. Nova looked like he wanted to punch something and Iron Spear just looked indifferent.

“Well?” Iron Spear said.

“No doubt about it, he's suspicious. But, I still don't know anything for sure. We're leaving. I want you guys to grab Scarlet and tail us. But give it a minute or two before you start following, or he might get suspicious. Once you're outside, meet up with Jade and formulate a plan of attack. Clear?” I asked. They both nodded.

“Good. Now, let's get going Nebula,” I said. She nodded reluctantly and we went back to Silver Tongue.

We left the club and started walking around Bridleburg. We went into a couple different bars and listened to a couple different bands. After a while, the night started to wind down.

“Well, this has been fun Silver Tongue, but I'm afraid we must be off,” I said.

“Wait, there's one more place I'd like to show you,” he said with a creepy smile. I looked at Nebula. She looked nervous, but nodded. I nodded back and smiled at Silver Tongue.

“Well, I suppose one more place couldn't hurt,” I said. Silver Tongue clapped his hooves and started leading us along. He lead us through an alleyway into a dead end.

“This doesn't look like a bar Sliver Tongue,” I said. He chuckled.

“That's because it's not,” he said and then whistled. Within seconds, the alley was filled with ponies, griffins, and even a few diamond dogs. All of them wearing various pieces of armor and carrying weapons and chains.

“What's the meaning of this?” I said faking shock.

“Sorry kid, just business. If I don't give my boss a couple fresh captives every once in a while, he starts getting antsy,” he said putting on a trench coat and mask. That's when I realized he was the one who attacked me earlier.

“It's you!” I said.

“Funny how life works out like that. Now,” his minions started to surround us “You can either come quietly, or my associates are going to have to get rough with you.”

I looked around and saw my friends waiting on the roof. I smirked “Looks like things are gonna have to get rough,” I said slamming my hooves into the ground, causing it to crack and making the minions lose their balance.

“Guys, now!” I yelled. Jade, Nova, and Iron Spear swooped down and drew their weapons. Scarlet stayed on the roof and tossed me Silver Thorn. I caught my sword and slashed one of the enemy across the throat. Iron Spear generated a couple spears with his magic and sent them flying at the enemy. Jade moved like a whirlwind, slashing anyone that crossed her. Nova was lighting off Scarlet was firing arrow after arrow at the enemy. Nebula had flown up the roof and was assisting Scarlet. Silver Tongue looked completely dumbfounded.

“Now, what was that you were saying about capturing us?” I said as I slashed one his soldiers. He looked around and saw that almost all of his minions were either dead or unconscious. He pulled something out of his coat, a smoke pellet I guessed, and was about to throw it on the ground. But I was ready. My preflex helped me read his movements. Just as he was about to toss the pellet on the ground, I slashed his foreleg off. He screamed as his blood splattered across the alley. He fell to the ground as I put my sword to his neck.

“You lose,” I said. I looked and saw the last of his minions felled by one of Scarlet's arrows. Scarlet and Nebula came down off the roof as everyone converged on Silver Tongue.

“Now, why don't you tell us who your boss is and I might let you live,” I said pushing my sword deeper against his throat. That's when he did something completely unexpected. He laughed. We were all confused.

“What's so funny?” I said.

He continued laughing “You're a bigger idiot than I thought! If you wanna know who my boss is, why don't you AGH!!” he said as one of Iron Spear's spears pierced his chest. We all turned to see Iron Spear with a look of sheer indifference on his face. Like he had just stepped on a bug. Silver Tongue fell over dead.

“Iron Spear, what the hell are you doing!?” I asked. He turned to me with an annoyed look on his face.

“I'm cleaning up the garbage, what else?” he said dusting off his hat.

“But he was about to tell us who his boss was!” I said getting up in his face.

“No need. I already know who it is.”

“Well then, who is..”

“Shadow look out!” Scarlet yelled. I turned around, but it was too late. Before I could even blink, one of Iron Spears energy spears pierced my abdomen. The energy spear dissipated, leaving a good sized hole in my chest as I fell over coughing up blood.

“SHADOW!!!” Scarlet yelled. She dropped her bow and ran to my side. Everyone else ran to my side, weapons drawn. Scarlet cried and turned to Iron Spear.

“You bastard!! WHY!!!” she cried. Iron Spear walked over to Silver Tongues body and took his trench coat.

“Why do you think?” he said putting on the trench coat.

“Don't...tell me...” I said with difficulty.

“That's right. I'm this dead idiot's boss,” he said with a mocking tone. This caught us all by surprise.

I tried standing up, only to fall over once again “I have to admit, you're tougher than I gave you credit for. Most people would already be dead after getting hit by one of my spears,” Iron Spear said.

“DAMN YOU!!!” Scarlet yelled as she picked up her bow and started firing volley after volley of arrows. However, Iron Spear grabbed them all with his magic, stopping them.

“You're little sharpened twigs won't work on me little red,” he said. Scarlet prepared to fire another volley, but I held up my hoof and stopped her.

“Why? If you were the boss the whole time, why didn't you just kill us?” I asked weakly.

“That's a good question,” he said pacing around, putting his hoof to his chin.

“Just answer the damn question!” I said, coughing up more blood.

“Very well. Put simply, I needed some fresh meat for my little business. Business has been slow ever since ponies have started to veer away from this place. So when I learned the Princess was sending a group here to investigate, I got an idea. If ponies thought there was no more danger, then they'd start coming back. Which means more business for me,” he said with a sinister laugh.

“So you planned to let Silver Tongue take the fall, kill us, go back a hero, and continue your sick business” I said.

“Bingo.” I stood up shakily.

“Well too bad, 'cause there's no way in hell I'm letting you” another spear pierced my chest. I fell over, almost my entire body now covered in blood. Iron Spear created another spear with his magic.

“On second thought, I guess just four of you will suffice,” he said. I tried to stand up, only to have Scarlet stop me.

“Stay down Shadow, we can take this guy,” she said brandishing her bow. Nova, Jade, and Nebula all brandished their weapons and made a protective circle around me. Jade with her knives, Nova with his explosives, and Nebula with another bow Scarlet had given her.

Iron Spear laughed “You seriously think you weaklings can beat me? That's cute, now step aside,” he said pointing his spear at them.

“Go to Tartarus you pompous bastard!” Nova said charging him. He lit one of his vials and threw it at Iron Spear. Iron Spear grabbed it with his magic and threw it back. Nova managed to move out of the way, but he was still blasted against a wall by the sheer force of the blast, knocking him unconscious.

“Nova!! You'll pay for that!” Nebula said firing an arrow. But Iron Spear merely caught it with his magic again and snapped it in half. Then he grabbed Nebula with his magic and slammed her against a wall repeatedly, knocking her out and injuring her wing.

“Is this the best you've got?” he mocked. That's when Jade managed to sneak up behind him and slashed him across the back.

“Augh!! You mutt!!” he said throwing a spear at Jade. She managed to dodge the spear and got within his guard. But Iron Spear was ready. He dodged her attack and bucked her with his hind legs into a wall, knocking her out. He turned to Scarlet and I. Scarlet brandished her bow and stood her ground.

“Give up little red, it's over. You're little group is finished!” he said creating four energy spears and pointing them at me and Scarlet. Scarlet fired and arrow at him so fast he didn't have time to catch it, nicking his face. He brought his hoof to his face and wiped across his wound. He looked at the blood, anger filling his face.

“You'll pay for that you red haired bitch!” he said launching one of his spears at Scarlet. Scarlet dropped her bow and picked up Silver Thorn, slicing the spear in half and getting into a fighting stance.

“Scarlet..”

“I'm fine Shadow. I'm not gonna lose to this bastard. Once I beat him, I'll treat you and everyone else. Then we can send this bastard back to the Princess in pieces,” she said. I could only stare in awe.

“Scarlet, I....”

Iron Spear laughed “How sweet. But unfortunately, you won't get the chance, because you're both going to die here,” he said launching his spears at us. Scarlet managed to destroy most of them, but it was obvious that using Silver Thorn was taking a toll on her. As the last of the spears came flying, she didn't destroy it, only managing to redirect it as the spear slashed her side and part of her leg.

“Augh!!” she said as she fell over, blood staining her side as she dropped Silver Thorn.

“Scarlet!! Damn you Iron Spear!” I yelled, coughing up more blood. Scarlet tried to stand up, only to fall back down.

“My leg, I can't move,” she said. She looked at me, tears starting to form in her eyes. Iron Spear walked up to Scarlet and brought her to eye level with him.

“You know what, you've got spunk, I like that. Maybe I'll keep you as my little pet,” he said sniffing some of her hair.

“You bastard, let her and my friends go!!” I said. He let go of Scarlet and walked over to me.

“I'm surprised you're even still alive.”

“Yeah, I'm stubborn like that,” I said and coughed up more blood.

“Well, unfortunately, you have to die now,” he said picking up Silver Thorn.

“Put me down this instant you traitorous coward!!” Silver Thorn yelled.

“Right, I forgot you could talk. Well, either way. What better way to kill you then with your own weapon,” he said raising Silver Thorn. I looked over and saw Scarlet with tears streaming down her face and screaming for him to stop.

“STOP!!!!” she yelled, trying desperately to move.

“Not a chance. Now die!” he said and stabbed Iron Spear right into my chest.

“AUGH!!” I yelled as I was impaled. The world started to go dark. I couldn't breath. The only thing I could smell was my own blood. I managed to turn my head. The last thing I saw and heard being Scarlet screaming my name.

The world went black as death took hold of me.

Author's Note:

WHAT A TWIST!! Worry not readers, for Shadow is not that easy to kill. I won't give any spoilers, but let's just say it's gonna be epic.
Also, IT'S THE GUARDIAN SHADOWS ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY!!! Cue the Party Cannon.
But seriously, It amazes me that I've been writing this story for so long. This story really means a lot to me and it makes me proud to see that it's made it this far. So I'd just like to thank you all for reading, and I hope I can make this story even more epic.