• Published 4th Dec 2011
  • 5,055 Views, 106 Comments

Of Harmony & Chaos - BBeee



A history fic focusing on Celestia, Luna, Discord and their friends.

  • ...
3
 106
 5,055

One Hoof at a Time

“Morning Celestia. You’re up early-” The earth pony stopped before she finished, pushing a hoof to her mouth to try and stop a few light giggles. The alicorn before her was still slightly afflicted with the curious side-effect of her semi-failed attempt at teleportation. Since leaving Manehatten, arriving in the tiny village across the river and stopping the night at the local inn, the bright pink sheen of Celestia’s coat had faded, though it was still visible.

Focusing intently on the compass and map before her, Celestia did not immediately notice her companion’s desperate efforts to suppress her laughter. “Oh, morning Dawn. Sorry, I just wanted to be sure we’ve chosen the best route.” The white alicorn turned to exchange tired smiles with the other pony, who was able to restore her expression just in time to avoid reminding her friend of the unfortunate incident. Celestia ducked her head into her map once more and Dawn searched the counter for any means to obtain a cup of tea.

The sun had only begun to rise over the small village of Last Meadow, a town similar in construction to that of Neighly, albeit on a somewhat smaller scale. Unlike its sister settlement on the other side of the river, Last Meadow did not act as any sort of hub to two or more big cities, furthermore, nopony wanted to live on the border of a desert and so it remained diminutive in size.

“…You girls are certainly up nice and early,” remarked the owner of Last Meadow’s Inn, Sleep Soft, a middle-aged mare with a greyish coat and white mane. “Coffee, dear?” she offered to the blue earth pony who was trying not to let her bloodshot eyes show.

“I would prefer some tea, if you have it. Please,” Dawn asked in response.

All Dawn received in return, unfortunately, was an apologetic smile. “Oh, I’m sorry dearie. We don’t have any in stock. Most of the folks here like coffee…”

There was a moments silence as Dawn tried to keep her face from falling in disappointment. “Well…coffee it’ll have to be then!” Sleep Soft gave the blond-maned pony another apologetic smile before turning to make a fresh batch of coffee. Dawn could keep up appearances no more and slumped unhappily on the table by Celestia.

“I wonder how many folks there can be here. All I saw was a hooffull of houses and this inn,” Celestia commented as she scanned a pencil line she had drawn on her map for what Dawn thought must have been the tenth time.

Sleep Soft chuckled and shook her head in amusement. “Not many. After all, who would want to stop or live in a town with nothing but the river on one side and the desert on the other?”

“But surely you get some business from ponies on their way to Gallopotris? The boat stops here, doesn’t it?” countered Celestia. Dawn meanwhile still had her head slumped on the table and remained silent.

“That was the idea, same sort of thing as Neighly. Buuut… well, Last Meadow is too close to Manesterdam or Manehatten or whatever they’re calling it these days. Neighly works because the river is a lot longer than it is wide. It still takes a good part of a day to get from Neighly to the city, but much less than half of that to get from the city to here. There’s just no need for most ponies to stop here,” the inn-owner explained sadly. She sighed loudly but quickly changed her sullen expression to a more cheery one once she realised the coffee was done. “In fact, you wouldn’t believe my surprise when such a big band of young’ens like yourselves came walking in through my door!”

Celestia smiled and nodded politely, secretly grateful that Sleep Soft had left it at that and didn’t have an inquisitive nature.

“Here’s your coffee, darling. Need anything else? I can start on all your breakfasts if you want?”

“That would be wonderful, thank you,” Celestia said in place of Dawn who was weakly pulling the mug of coffee towards herself. Sleep Soft smiled to her customers once more before disappearing into the kitchen.

The small café returned to silence save for Dawn’s quiet slurping of her coffee. Almost as if in response to the dull lack of volume, Discord appeared directly in front of the two mares’ table in a flash of light. “I must say, I do love this teleportation spell! Good morning Celestia! Good morning- Oh, my, whatever is wrong with her?” The draconequus indicated the limp Dawn and prodded her with his paw several times. His attempts to both probe the earth pony’s wellbeing and revive her from her stupor helped Discord completely ignore Celestia and her still vivid fur. The fun-loving draconequus had already had more than enough instances of borderline asphyxiation from looking at his elder sister’s coat and had been able to purge the novelty of it from his mind.

“Coffee. It just isn’t the same,” Dawn slowly managed to say.

“Coffee? I can only conclude you’re a tea-pony then?” asked Discord as he stared into the dark liquid in Dawn’s mug and dipped a talon in to taste it.

She nodded slowly in response.

“Really, Celestia. How can you let a friend suffer like this?” Discord scolded the map-absorbed alicorn as he tapped the mug with his talon once more, this time accompanied by a small golden flash. “There. Drink up now.”

“Suffer?” Celestia pulled herself from the chart before her and gazed confused at her most recent friend whose eyes had lit up with delight and quickly began gulping the new contents of the mug down. “It was just coffee instead of tea. There’re both virtually the same thing, aren’t they?”

Dawn was far too busy savouring the warm drink to respond and let Discord do so. “Dear, dear Celestia. You have an awful lot to learn!” patronised Discord.

Celestia’s expression made it clear to the draconequus that she had no idea what he was talking about and thought he was simply trying to wind her up. She was prepared to begin scolding herself, but was interrupted by the creaking of floorboards which announced the arrival of her fellow travellers, each seemingly as tired as Dawn had been. Both the draconequus and the alicorn could not help but giggle at the sight of the weary group.

“…Morning everypony…” mumbled Luna. The other three made similar slurred greetings and filtered into the café, drawing up chairs to squeeze in together on the same table. Much like Discord, the other travellers had laughed enough at the pastel maned mare’s coat; it no longer inspired fits of giggling as it once had. Although even if they hadn’t, their fatigue filled eyes prevented them from even properly registering the fact that the pink was still there.

Though she was determined to check her map again, the sheer number of hooves prevented Celestia from continuing her pathfinding. As funny as it was to see so many bed-manes, Celestia hoped the state of her companions would soon perk up. No matter how many times she had checked or tried to find a gentler route, the result was the same: they would have to soon travel through harsh desert. If their fatigue persisted through the day, she wasn’t sure they would be able to cope.

“…Talk about wild weather. It was so hot to start with, then it got cold, then hot again! I barely got a wink of sleep!” Surprise moaned.

“Sorry, I should have warned you. We’re just on the edge of the desert here in Last Meadow, and we normally have to share a little bit of the same climate,” Sleep Soft explained, having poked her head back into the café at the sound of the new arrivals. “We’re lucky though. It’s a bit milder here, not half as bad as the desert proper. I haven’t the faintest idea how those buffalo manage.”

“Buffalo?” the entire table piped up in unison. They had all heard of buffalo before, but the thought of wandering into their native lands and possibly meeting one hadn’t occurred to any of them.

“Oh yeah. They don’t ever come into town or anything, but you can sometimes see them stampeding in the distance. I would tell you more, but… that’s all I know,” Sleep Soft said with an apologetic tone.

“This is gonna be so cool! Stampeding buffalo! I wonder how fast they can go?” Firefly excitedly exclaimed.

Viator gave Firefly a disapproving glance as she began to swat her hooves about in a mock-fight with an imaginary buffalo “Don’t get ahead of yourself, I’ve heard buffalo can crush even large ponies underhoof. Of course, no matter how much brawn they have, it’ll never be as powerful as the likes of magic!”

“Speaking of which, buffalo have horns, don’t they? They should be capable of magic themselves! I hope I get to study one…” Dawn pondered out loud, perked up at the thought of a new research project.

“I wonder what they’re like…”

“I wouldn’t worry yourself little Luna. I’m just positive we’ll meet some,” the draconequus reassured his younger sister, to which she smiled.

“I bet they’re super strong! Come on guys, let’s get a move on already! I’m pumped!” The pink speedster was virtually jumping out of her seat.

“You’re always pumped, Fire!”

“Well, ‘course I am Surprise! I’m the fastest pony there is, I have to be! And I’m still pumped, so let’s go!”

______________________________________________________________________________


“…You’re all still staring into that thing? I think I’m somewhat glad I’ve never had children, if this is what it does to you,” the stallion announced in a somewhat snarky tone to the four other ponies gazing deeply into the orb.

“Oh, Mr. Penwell no! Being a parent is the most wonderful thing!” The pegasus’ voice echoed around the stone hall, causing her to recoil a little in shock at the noise.

“I hate to get all sappy, but I have to agree with Softie. Firefly always was a hoofful, especially after her mother passed on, but watching her grow has been one of the best things I’ve ever done,” the brown earth pony admitted without hesitation.

Penwell frowned at Dustcloud. Firefly’s father in particular was not one to make what few words he did speak to be mushy ones.

A familiar chuckle rang around the hall. “I’m certain we’ve had this conversation before, old friend. When those rumours arose concerning us two, I think?” added Aumean after her chortling settled down.

“Yes, we did. And my opinion hasn’t changed: how would I ever find the time to do anything with a foal or two running around?”

Aumean laughed once more, though she was joined by the three parents. They all knew what the library pony spoke of, having each dealt with what some ponies called the “horrors of foalhood” at some point. It did not alter their outlooks on their children in the slightest however.

“You should have had him babysit more, Aumean. Then he might know!” Softheart’s husband, Sun Spring, suggested.

“Perhaps you are right. Regardless, I think Penwell is correct on one thing: we have been spying on them for sometime now. Why not have something to eat?” the ivory alicorn offered her guests.

“B-But, they’re about to go into a desert! We have to keep an eye for them!” cried Softheart.

“Now, now dear. They’ve handled everything so far, haven’t they? And I’m sure Aumean will do something if they really need the help, right Aumean?” Sun Spring asked as he tried to reassure his panic-prone wife.

“…If it is an absolute necessity, yes,” the alicorn replied with a surprising lack of confidence.

“I don’t mean any disrespect, but that wasn’t all to convincing.” Dustcloud spoke for Sun Spring and Softheart as well as himself. It was rare for Aumean’s tone to not inspire complete trust and it was normally not such a bad thing when it didn’t, when it came to the safety of their children however, the other parents could not help but feel the need to question the strength deficiency in Aumean’s voice.

The ancient mare sighed loudly and trotted slowly to a window. “…No matter where they are or what they face, it is unlikely I could not help them, should they need it. That is not the question. The question is whether I should help them.”

“…Only a Queen watches over her kingdom, right Aumean?” Aumean turned her head from the window and smiled sadly at Penwell.

“…W-What do you mean?” stuttered Softheart.

The ivory mare sighed once more. “I am an alicorn, Softheart. An old one at that. Nearly by definition, that makes me very… powerful,” she forced herself to say “I could no doubt help all our children, in someway, regardless of what it is that endangers them. But I could also do this for nearly any pony. Counting their journey or not, should they alone be guaranteed protection purely because they are our children? Surely, if I were to come to their aid in their time of need, I should do so for all who I possibly could. But in doing that, even more problems arise…” Again, Aumean sighed and went to staring out of the window once more.

Knowing it was an uncomfortable subject for his friend to talk about, yet realising the need of the other parents to comprehend what she was talking about, Penwell took over. “Ponies are interesting creatures, you have to understand. Generally, we love freedom, yet try to avoid responsibility when we can. Most would happily give up the need to make decisions to somepony else if they felt their freedom wasn’t too threatened and that they could trust that pony with the responsibility. Unfortunately, Aumean here fits the bill of such a pony almost to the letter,” he explained to the intently-focused three.

“I cannot help but feel that if I were to start using my power like that, then the ponies of the land would ask that I continue to use it. Not only would it disrupt the natural flow of the world, but ponies everywhere would come to rely on me more and more. It wouldn’t feel right to become a de facto Queen, simply because of my gifts. Ponies should be free to make and live by their own decisions, not feel the need to defer to the will or even just the council of some individual sitting above them, who had the fortune to be born with such abilities.” Aumean stopped to regain her breath and composure, having let it slip somewhat during her speech. She turned to face the three other parents and smiled another of her slightly sad smiles. “…That is why I’m reluctant to intervene to any great extent. Now… about getting something to eat…”

The three parents, including the normally gruff Dustcloud, smiled apologetically back in return. “Sorry, Aumean… we understand now, I think. Right?” Softheart said, looking to the two beside her for confirmation.

“You all get way too worked up about these things, in my opinion,” Penwell commented in a slightly snarky tone once more. “Come on, let’s do what Aumean said and eat. I’ve had to skip lunch because of you four.”

They each began to cheer up and share some laughter. “Perhaps you’re right, old friend. Lead on, why don’t you?” Aumean nodded to the single stone corridor connecting the chamber to the rest of the library.

“Oh, very funny, my Queen,” Penwell replied. It had been funny however, and he was unable to keep the amusement from his voice. The five ponies laughed together again and filtered one by one from the chamber, leaving their children to continue their quest free of observation.

______________________________________________________________________________


Only the waves and the occasional squawking of birds could be heard, despite the boat having two passengers. It had been like for many hours, and the silence was only broken by the eventual sound of shimmering magic. A woolly black sweater made it way through the air and over the shoulders of the striped being, resting her head on hooves on the boat’s railing and staring almost lifelessly out over the endless waters.

“…You’ll catch a terrible cold if you stay out for too long, lass. Why don’t you pop below deck, get some shut eye perhaps?”

“…I don’t want to.”

The unicorn looked sadly at his zebra friend. The pity he felt for her surpassed any other he had ever felt. For a young girl to have seen what she saw was nothing short of heartbreaking. The merchant pony had encountered his fair share of tragedy before, but nothing on the scale of the sight that greeted him after investigating beyond that foliage, to find out the cause of his friend’s unbelievable pain. Everything about it made him feel bad; not just the intense sorrow Kromi must have been plagued with, but the dreadful thought that the entire incident may have in someway been his fault. Griffons, or “the Taloned” as the zebras knew them, the ones who had committed the awful atrocity, had never so much as found Oromo Village beforehoof. The only reason Coin Bag could think as to why and how they had struck was because they had followed somepony: him. He knew that griffons regularly raided large pony merchant ships, but Coin Bag had always been able to avoid trouble thanks to only sailing a small vessel, apparently not worthy for the griffons to devote any resources to. That didn’t mean they never saw him though. Practically every ship coming from Equestria was headed to Cairib, but if even a single griffon scout saw a vessel head somewhere else for a change, then that scout would likely investigate. Just as Kromi did not, or perhaps could not, talk of her troubles, Coin Bag was also unable to find the strength or conviction to voice his fears.

“…How long until we arrive at Cairib?” Coin Bag could tell that everything had gone wrong. This was it, Kromi’s dream to escape from Oromo and begin a life of her own, a life of adventure and discovery. And yet here she was, taking her first steps down the path her heart had set out for her, with a voice so monotone and devoid of life it dragged Coin Bag down even further into pity.

Kromi did not receive a response immediately. Rather, she was pulled momentarily from her stare by the ship’s sail glowing with a copper light. Slowly, they furled themselves up. “…What are you doing?” the zebra asked, anger beginning to ring sharply in her voice.

“…Listen lass, I can’t rightly sail this old ship a knot more. Not until you let all of those troubles loose to the winds,” he replied, his own voice becoming sterner. “This was supposed to be the merriest time of your whole life, and look at you! Don’t take this around the wrong bend, it would be simply brutish of me to have you face your rump towards everything that’s happened. But, you have to get it all out, otherwise… well… dear me lass, I’ve seen it before and it’s no show! No show at all…” Coin Bag trailed off. He had seen it before and the only result was a wreck of a pony.

Kromi looked to him, and then back out to the water. The unicorn could tell she was in conflict with her self on whether to follow her friend’s advice and open her heart, to try and set free all the pent up agony, anger and sorrow, yet expose herself to it all once more. It was a conflict she was far too young to have to make. One no pony should ever have to make, but especially one as young as the normally hopeful zebra.

“Do… do you promise it’ll work? T-That it’ll go away?”

“I hate to say it, lass, but that’s one deal I can’t make. You’ve had the worst the world can throw your way and it’ll be one dreadfully high climb back up. But letting your chums carry some of the cargo is a sure way to get there top speed and let everypony a go at the profits!” He tried to smile reassuringly, and Coin Bag was blessed to know that he had done at least something right, as she smiled back. It was not a joyous smile, the kind Coin Bag was used to from his striped friend, but it held the slightest shimmer of hope, and it was precisely what the unicorn had wanted to see.

“T-Thank you,” she simply said. It looked to the pony as if she was going to say more, but instead she merely stuttered and tripped over her words several times, sat on her haunches, and started to cry.

The merchant pony knew that Kromi should be the only one to speak from then on, until she had voiced her sadness and properly mourned the loss of her former life. Instead, the older of the two trotted over and joined the sitting zebra, sure to wrap a comforting hoof around her shoulder while the tears flowed.

______________________________________________________________________________


“…C’mon… Let’s… let’s go…everypony…ughh…”

“Don’t talk… Firefly… just… focus… on walking…”

“Sis… it’s so hot…”

“You too… Luna… just keep on walking…”

“Darn it hat… why… why don’t you work…?”

“Firefly… I already told you…”

“I can’t… I can’t…uhhh…” With a soft thud, the blue earth pony collapsed into the sand.

Dawn!” The snowy pegasus screamed as her fellow traveller fell to the ground. Even with the desperation in her voice, the other five’s senses were dulled by the blistering heat of the desert and it took them several seconds to turn their heads in response. Only the sight of Dawn lying still was enough to prompt adrenaline to enter their veins.

“D-Dawn!?” The earth pony did not respond to Luna. “Dawn!” the midnight alicorn cried exactly as Surprise had. Realising precisely what was going on, they all rushed to the fallen pony’s side.

“She’s burning up. Somepony get her water! There, carry her into the shade,” Celestia ordered. Nopony argued otherwise and they all scrambled for their canteens in search of even the smallest drop of water while the elder alicorn gently lifted Dawn with her magic and carried her into what little shade a nearby boulder provided.

“I’m all out!”

“Me too!” Panic was beginning to set itself into both Surprise and Firefly’s faces and they both looked instinctively to Celestia for guidance.

“I think it is safe to say none of us have any to spare, Celestia,” Discord informed her. Celestia was glad that both the draconequus and Viator were seemingly able to keep their cool. If they didn’t have any water, then they would simply have to try and make some.

“Discord, Viator. Do either of you know any spells to transmute water? Or to create it?” The white mare’s teeth were gritted. It was sometimes difficult for her to believe that water, one of the simplest natural elements, was so difficult to make with magic. Though by no means an impossible task, water spells were often notoriously complex and it would be made even more challenging by the oppressive heat.

“Of course I can transmute water! But it’s not just that she’s dehydrated, it must be just too hot for her body to cope. Water will only help so much. We need to bring her core temperature down, quickly,” The show stallion explained. Although he had never ventured into the desert beforehoof, Viator’s travels had ensured he had heard many tales regarding the dangers of more exotic environments such as the one they were in.

“But how? We can’t turn back, and there’s nothing out here!” the speedster wailed.

“…Socks!”

Each of the still-conscious travellers craned their necks to shoot a raised eyebrow at Luna’s bizarre comment. “…What?” The show stallion expressed his companions’ confusion perfectly.

“Socks! The socks that uncle Star Swirl gave us!” Luna was no longer keeping eye contact, instead rummaging magically and physically through her saddlebags. After a moments frantic searching, she triumphantly produced the bundle of cyan wool that Star Swirl had originally gifted them the day before. “He said that they helped keep whoever wore them at just the right temperature!”

Realisation hit the other five like a storm and they rushed over to grab the socks from Luna’s hooves and quickly pull them over Dawn’s. Discord was quick to put his paw to her forehead and he could tell almost immediately that her temperature had begun to stabilise.

“Viator, the water!” Celestia snapped, eager to do everything possible to get her friend back on her hooves.

“Oh, yes, right… Just a moment, and the Grand & Mightful Viator will-”

Now V!” the snowy pegasus practically roared.

Boasting stifled, Viator grabbed both his canteen and a large pile of sand in a magical grip. Then, with another burst of magic from his horn, he turned the sand into a floating glob of clear water which he promptly siphoned into the canteen.

Working in perfect telekinetic conjunction, the canteen was passed from Viator to Discord and then to Celetsia and brought to Dawn’s lips in seconds. Some spilled down her muzzle and was quickly evaporated upon touching the scorching dust below, although once her body sensed the presence of the much needed liquid the blue earth pony began to unconsciously lap it up greedily as it poured from the bottle.

“I do believe she’ll be alright. We should stop here, just for now,” the draconequus advised in what had become a rare moment of seriousness for him.

“Alright, if you can get us some more shade. If we spend too long out here, then we’ll all end up like this.” They all nodded in agreement and set about making the spot more appropriate for resting. Surprise and Firefly lay down towels, cloths and even the few clothes they might have packed so that their bare skin did not have to touch what felt like near-molten earth. Meanwhile, Celestia, Discord and Luna used their magic to try and create parasols and umbrellas to extend what little shade there was. Lastly, Viator took it upon himself to refill their canteens as much as he could, tiring himself more in the process from the strain of casting so many complicated spells.

A few minutes after they had settled themselves as best they could, Dawn began to stir. “…What happened…?” The blond maned earth pony’s voice created a wave of relief that spread through the makeshift camp.

“You collapsed from heat exhaustion, Dawn!” Surprise informed her while joining Luna in hugging their revived friend. “We were really worried!”

“You should thank Luna, though. And your uncle. It was her thinking and his socks that helped you,” Celestia told Dawn, nodding to her blushing little sister. The earth pony frowned before noticing the cyan tubes covering her hooves and lower legs. It was odd enough to see a pony in such apparel, but even odder to see one sitting under a multitude of parasols with vastly different designs in the middle of a desert.

“Don’t forget my amazing skills! It was me, who got you the vital fluids you needed!” Viator added, determined to get what credit was due.

“T-Thank you, both. I didn’t think this desert would be so… treacherous!” she exclaimed, bowing slightly to both the younger alicorn and show stallion in turn.

“It was nothing, really! Uncle Star Swirl is the one who really deserves thanks!” Luna mumbled sheepishly.

“Speaking of which, we should be sure to take turns with those socks when we start up again. They should help to stop anything like this happening again.” Baring Luna, each of the travellers nodded once more to Celestia’s judgement, though neither could help glancing at the articles of footwear awkwardly. They knew they would need them to prevent anymore instances of sudden collapse, but it would be no less embarrassing.

“Hey… why are we even here anyway? Are you sure the compass pointed this way? I dunno if even Meanie would send us to somewhere as crazy as this place.” Firefly’s question prompted her friends to ask themselves the same thing. Their quest for the Elements had seen them travel through harsh terrain already, but Dawn’s mishap was rapidly making it clear just how perilous the surrounding land was. They would have to be especially careful and take every additional precaution to ensure they made it through the desert without serious consequences.

“That’s why I made sure to wake up early and triple check. At first I thought we were meant to go to Gallopotris, on the other side of the desert,” as she spoke, Celestia drew forth her trusty map and compass and laid it out for the others to see. She pointed a hoof to a small blip marked “Last Meadow” before continuing. “If we were, then we could have simply taken the boat around the coast. But the closer I looked at it, the more it became clear this wasn’t the case. The most precise direction I could get from the compass didn’t correspond to any marked town or city. Somewhere in the desert was the only possible explanation,”

“Huh… We don’t really have a choice then, do we Tia?”

“No, Surpisena, we don’t. Not if we want to see this through,” Celestia replied with a heavy-heart.

“Are you sure we should, sis?” Luna spoke up, uncertainty clear in her voice. “I know mother said it would be difficult, but I don’t want anypony to get hurt…”

“…Except for Dawn, you all come from Ponyville, correct?” The show stallions question was met with a round of nods, as well as frowns. The question seemed fairly random. Viator’s laughing prompted his companions to raise the eyebrows even higher. “You’ve come all this way and want to quit now? You hit one wall, and are going to just sit down and stop? Hmpf, I wouldn’t stop you, but I know that I’m not going to let a pile of sand scare me away.”

“…V’s right! We got past a dragon didn’t we? We can get past this as well!” The speedster’s cheer was accompanied by her hoof being thrust into the centre of the small circle they had formed. “Who’s with me!?”

The downcast expressions that had been weighing down the faces of the group turned to grins. Four hooves and one paw then met Firefly’s. “We should all paint ourselves pink for thinking such a thing, right Celestia?” The alicorn did not need paint, as Discord’s comment rapidly made her flush with a mixture of rosy coloured embarrassment and a frustrated scarlet, much to the amusement of everypony present.

Once their fun had died down, each one of the travellers began to prepare to continue their journey through the unrelenting heat of the desert once more, albeit with far more preparation. Rather than leave or destroy the parasols they had created, it was decided that they should use them in turns, as they would Star Swirl’s enchanted socks.

With their canteens refilled by Viator’s magic, the socks distributed, and the parasols floating overhead and ready to be tied to their sides should the magic users tire, the group deemed itself ready to travel once more. As they set out under the baking sun, it became clearly apparent that despite all their preparation, they were still going to be under a great deal of strain. Even with the precautions they took, the sapping heat still invaded their bodies and drained their strength away mere minutes after departing the temporary camp.

The hours dragged on by and the desert warmth had reduced each of the adventurers to sweaty, panting bundles of fur. And it was only to become worse. The wind began to stir, slowly at first, though it gained speed as time went on and soon the group found themselves amongst a fierce dust storm. Though the howling sands blocked out the harsh rays of the sun, the pelting particles were just as hot as the earth beneath the party’s hooves and the sudden maelstrom offered little relief. On the contrary, it made the ponies’ plight even more dire; they could barely see in front of them, and that was when they could open their eyes any longer than a hoofful of seconds, as the raging storm nipped and burned at any exposed surface and was especially painful on the eyes.

“We have to find shelter!” cried Surprise as well as she could over the roaring tide of sand.

“I think I saw some cliffs ahead, we might be able to find some there!” Discord attempted to reply. He made sure to flail his arms widely in the direction of the cliff, so that his fellows at least knew where to go.

There was no argument or further talk. Conversation was simply too difficult with the party engulfed by the screeching winds and it would distract them from the only thing that mattered: getting into cover and out of the nightmarish storm.

The ponies and draconquus trudged on for what seemed an eternity to them until they could make out the looming figure of a shadowy rock face standing vigilant before them, immune to the hammering of the sandstorm. The travellers could not even afford to smile at the prospect of shelter; literally all of their energy was devoted to simply reaching it. Of course, the cliff by itself would only provide marginal protection, but what the cliff could offer and what the travellers desperately hoped for, was a cave or even just a low outcrop they could squeeze under. Anything that would stop the relentless stinging would do.

“We’ll split into two groups! Each follow the cliff along and see if you can find anything! If you do or don’t, turn back after fifteen minutes and we’ll meet back here!” Celestia shouted as loud as her lungs would allow. Once again, there was no argument and the seven broke off into two groups. Celestia, Luna and Firefly went one way while Discord, Surprise, Viator and Dawn went the other. The magic users of both groups were sure to keep their most powerful light spells up to ensure they had the best chance of finding any form of cover in the smooth stone wall, as well as each other when the time came to meet again.

To their despair, they could find nothing. Both groups did not turn back until the very last second, yet were unable to locate anything but more worn rock. Once they had managed to trace each other again, their faces were all they need to tell of any success, or lack of it. They were in a dangerous situation indeed; already was each of the adventurers beginning to find it harder and harder to breath as their throats were infiltrated and smothered with sand. Should the storm become even worse, then the desert’s fury would become instead some sort of twisted competition to see which it could do first: choke or lash the struggling travellers alive. They had to find shelter if they were to have any hope of continuing their quest, or even making it home.

‘…We don’t have any choice…’ She didn’t very much like the idea, but it was all the white alicorn could think of. “Luna, Viator, Discord, by me! We’re going to make a cave!” As the three other sorcerers gathered beside her, Celestia pointed a hoof to the cliff face. Luna was the only one to look surprised, but like Discord and Viator needed no further explanation. “You three, stand back!” The pastel maned mare did not wait for them to do so, and turned her head back towards the rock, her horn joining the others in their intense glow.

Celestia did not give a signal, but the four still managed to launch their magical assault upon the cliff in perfect synchronisation. Four beams of varying colours bore into the stone with a resounding clap and inch by inch began to dissolve it away, the magic shaking the whole cliff with its magnitude. The task of forcefully digging their own cave into the cliff was a difficult one, perhaps more than the four could handle in their exhausted and beaten state, but nopony in the group would find out if the magician’s power would be enough. After several seconds of the beams gnawing away at its base, the entire rock face began to quake and rumble even more ferociously and a horrifying crack split the air.

“Watch ou-!” Dawn was unable to finish her warning, as the cascading wave of boulders was already upon them. Years of erosion at the hands of similar storms had ensured that the mounds and cliffs of the region were highly unstable and susceptible to collapse at the hoofs of even the slightest force. The four magic users had poured far more than that into it, and been paid back in full, along with their companions.

Once the boulders and growling of the cliff had settled, it would have been silent were it not for the screaming of the winds.

______________________________________________________________________________


Amongst the hustle and bustle of Manehatten, an earth pony and a pegasus felt a strange sort of loss. They had been searching and asking everypony they met throughout the day but had not had any luck in finding so much as a single clue as to the whereabouts of the Grand & Mightful Viator. The moss green stallion looked to the bags secured around his back sadly. He was honour bound to return the few possessions the unicorn had entrusted him with, and until he did so, Craggy could not feel content. No doubt Viator’s work forced him to remain on the move at all times, and simply hadn’t the chance to stop and wait for his friend and one-time companion to catch up and get the indisputably important items back to him.

A tap on the shoulder from Craggy’s hovering cohort ‘Bright Eyes’ brought the ranger from his momentary lapse and he followed her hoof to see a myriad of wooden piers in the distance. It was the harbour which was largely part of why the city had flourished so much, and also where many ponies would go to continue in whatever travels they may be on.

“O’ course! He’s a stallion wit’ no home! I bet he’s gone moved onto the next big ol’ town! C’mon, we’ll go see if we cannut git some answers from them dock-folk!” With their new destination in mind the two ponies rushed to the docks eagerly. Buying a ticket did not require a name to be given, but surely the dock master or pass vendor would remember a stallion such as the Grand & Mightful Viator.

At that time, the harbour was very quiet. The vast majority of vessels had returned from their duties and been securely anchored to one of the many piers that riddled the water. Neither were there any ferries due, and the docks were devoid of life for the most part. Craggy and Bright Eyes were in luck however, as the ticket vendor had not yet left his post at the ferry’s wharf. The last ship had sailed sometime ago, but the paperwork and sorting of the day’s profit had obviously held him back.

“That’s 170, 180- Hmm? Can I help you, sir-”

“’scuse me! Me an’ ma good friend ‘ere are lookin’ for a uni-corn wit’ this mark,” Craggy cheerfully announced while shoving the make-shift search poster Bright Eye’s had drawn earlier into the stallion’s face.

The move took the vendor by surprise and he drew his head back sharply. “…L-Let me see…” He frowned at the tattered bag momentarily. “…No, I’m sorry, I would need more of a descrip-”

“Stallion. Fancy blue coat. Pretty well built for a uni-corn. Oh, and he’s a big, super-talented, sparkly magic type ta boot! Famous ‘un all.”

“…Sorry, sir, but I don’t recall- Wait, famous magician? Yes… yes that does ring a bell… what was his name?” The vendor put a hoof to his chin and rubbed it vigorously, trying to recall the individual in question. “…I can’t quite remember, but I did see somepony like that sending off a few friends I think. Odd crowd, had a pet chimera and two awful tall mares… Anyway, he didn’t get on the boat with them, went back into tow-”

“Didn’t git on the boat with ‘em? Where’d ‘e go then?”

The ticket master glanced back at Craggy indignantly. “As I was saying, he went back into town. I think he might liv-”

“Went back inta town, huh? Well least he ain’t on some voy-age to Galloptown or whutever. Thank ya kindly mister, you been a mighty fine help! C’mon Bright Eyes, think we gotta do some ol’ fashioned de-ducting!” Craggy gestured to the floating pegasus and the two began a rapid canter back towards the heart of Manehatten, leaving the ticket vendor flailing and shouting after them.

“W-Wait! Hold your hoofs, I might be able to get you some directions to his hous-”

“Cya later, pardner! Thanks again!” After being interrupted once more, the vendor simply decided to let the two rude ponies be on their way. He might have been able to get an address, or at the very least the general neighbourhood, but if they didn’t want it, then they didn’t want it.

“Ai’ight, let’s go over the facts; he weren’t on that there boat ta the other big cities an’ musta just been seeing off them folk we met. Then he went back inta town, but ain’t nopony saw ‘im. He musta passed on through real quick like… but where woulda wandering stallion like ‘im go next?” The two slowed their pace and gazed off in thought. As they passed a noticeboard however, Bright Eyes suddenly reared back in midair and gazed at a particular piece of paper on the board. Craggy was unable to tell straight away as to what she was looking at due to her eye condition, but was soon ale to follow her hoof when she pointed to a particular point on a large map.

“!” Bright Eye’s began to stab at the map to emphasise her discovery, prompting the ranger to rush over and get a closer look at exactly what it was that had her so excited. Staring at the spot where her hoof had been, Craggy could see the name of a town.

“…Ploughmouth? O’ course! It’s the only other big town close by! Yer’ a genius, parnder! C’mon, we best get to it, not a moment ta lose!” The two ponies nodded in agreement and resumed their rapid gait.

Ploughmouth was another large port town to the south of Manehatten. It couldn’t boast to be of the same size as the city, but was certainly larger then the likes of country villages like Ponyville or Neighly. It would be quite a trek; Ploughmouth was some distance to the south, past the plains surrounding Manehatten, back through Neighly and then even further south along or through the Western Range. While most ponies would loathe the idea of travelling through the mountains and would prefer to hire a chariot or balloon, Craggy knew those hills like the back of his hoof and would easily be able to navigate his and Bright Eyes’ way through them quickly and safely. Knowing the Grand & Mightful Viator, he would surely try and do the same, giving Craggy a big advantage in catching up.

Destination set and route planned, the travelling duo rushed back into Manehatten to stock up on supplies and then once again set upon their journey to return what had been lost, in what could only be the correct direction. Craggy smiled as he galloped onwards, his magician friend had no need to worry, everything was going to be alright!

______________________________________________________________________________


“No… no, no, no… Celestia, Luna, Discord! Anypony… just somepony wake up!” The only response Dawn got was from the constant wail of the swirling winds. She lay huddled between a random assortment of boulders that offered her only the slightest refuge from the vicious storm. Her companions laid there with her, unconscious, after being unceremoniously dragged there. All of them, the panic-stricken earth pony included, were covered with large, swollen bruises and deep cuts and grazes. Their injuries came from the hundreds of scattered rocks that had furiously assaulted them after their failed attempt to carve out a cave in the cliff side resulted in nearly the entire mountain collapsing upon them. Dawn had been the only one to retain consciousness and was now suffering with the choice of what to do. She could not stay where she was, but neither could she simply leave her friends to be claimed by the storm.

For the first time in months, droplets of water hit the desert floor. It was not rain however, but the tears of a young earth pony who, after only just starting what was to be a magical journey of discovery, was fresh out of hope.

“Uncle…” It was all Dawn could manage. She did not regret her decision to accompany Celestia and her group, but was merely in despair at having everything cut short as it was. She could feel the sand gnawing at her and her lungs wheeze more and more with the strain of breathing in the thick air. Dawn did not believe in any sort of afterlife, but if there was one, then she knew she would miss a lot of things. Taking leisurely strolls around Manehatten, watching the night roll by with a good book by her side, picking the universe apart piece by piece with her uncle and gorging herself on its secrets. But perhaps most of all, she would miss that old bearded unicorn.

“How long do you think you’re going to be gone for, dear? Pah! I didn’t raise you to be a cry filly! Now go, off with you!”

With the thought of Star Swirl also came the last words he had said to his niece. The proud look on his face filled Dawn’s vision and it occurred to her that if he saw her now, the ageing sorcerer would not be able to hide his disappointment. She was not just crying, but she had given up, just like that, forgetting one of the most important lessons she had been taught.

“Now Victory, listen to me. If you’re going to be my assistant, remember this: there is always a solution. It doesn’t matter what you’re working on, no matter how complex a problem seems, there will always be an answer somewhere. It might not be as good as you hoped and it might require a great deal of effort, but it will always be there.”

A scientist didn’t give up. That was what Dawn’s uncle had pounded into her from day one of her living with him. True, her situation wasn’t like the many troubles she faced in the laboratory, but the message still stood. Under no circumstance could she just give up, lie down and accept her fate. She had to think.

‘Think, Dawn, think! Okay, the storm came in from the south west, so it will be heading north east. If I head in the direction the storm came from, I should escape it sooner. But what to do about the others? I definitely can’t leave them, but it’s physically impossible for a single pony like me to carry them all at the same time without assistance or magic… That’s it! Magic assistance!” The idea struck her like a thunder bolt, and she scrambled over to the fallen Firefly almost as quickly. Dawn’s hooves were shaking, but she was still able to retrieve the pendant Star Swirl had gifted them. As she placed the amulet over her neck, Dawn realised that not only one, but two of the three items her uncle had given to them had ended up saving their lives. The thought was somewhat unnerving; Star Swirl had never bothered researching claims of foresight or possible magic related to it and while the old stallion may have simply had a keen idea of the sort of challenges they may have faced, Dawn was still a little disturbed at just how convenient the items were becoming.

The young mare shook her head and focused more on enacting her plan. The hows and whys could wait until they were out of danger. Instead, Dawn continued to search through each of the ponies’ packs until she had everything else she needed: rope, a tarp and a pair of sunglasses. The glasses weren’t ideal, visibility was low enough as it was, but she would at least be able to keep her eyes open for longer periods without having to stop and rub the sharp grit from them. With the rope and tarp, she quickly assembled a rough “bag” to carry her friends in while they were still out cold.

“Thank you, Uncle,” the earth pony mumbled under her breath. Everything was in place: the ropes she had tied around her middle were in turn strapped to the tarp which her companions were partially wrapped in. It was crude, but it was an answer. With a final deep breath, Dawn pushed down on the simple gemstone within her amulet.

Even behind the blinding sand and darkened glasses, the world was lit up. Strength flooded through every muscle fibre and nerve in the mare’s being. It was as if somepony had scooped her mind from her own body and placed it in something… evolved. The force coursing through her was like nothing she had felt, and Dawn could now perfectly understand why Firefly had demanded to be allowed to run almost immediately after the spell has been originally cast. For the first time since the dread storm had engulfed them, Dawn grinned. Raising her hoof, she then placed it down in front of her, and pulled. To her glee and growing confidence, she moved forward. It was hard, even with the magic throbbing in her muscles, but nothing she would not be able to handle.

Resolve and confidence growing with each step, the whole group was able to make progress once more, albeit only through Dawn’s efforts. It was, however, not to last. The earth pony walked and walked and still the sandstorm raged. The magic augmenting her strength gradually faded, and she was forced to use another charge from the amulet lest she fruitlessly attempt and pull herself and her friends under her own physical power. And breathing! Dawn’s throat burned with every breath and no matter how deeply she inhaled, she could never seem to feel the rush of sufficient oxygen flowing into her.

‘Just… a little… further!’

It could have just been an illusion of the sand, but the world itself seemed to be shifting and becoming distorted. Even her mind was not immune to the arid hell Dawn found herself; the earth pony’s thoughts became as laboured as her breathing and at times she had to remind herself as to where she was, what she was doing and if she was actually awake or not. Everything hurt, and the temptation to just lie down and go to sleep on the warm, soft sands grew every time her hoof touched the earth.

‘I can rest… just a little while-’

“I didn’t raise you to be a cry filly!”

‘But-’

“There will always be an answer somewhere!”

‘I can’t-’

“I won’t have any of that, Dawn.”

The apprentice scientist stopped in her sluggish tracks. Body and mind were screeching for her to stop, just to stop and give up the pointless task of continuing. But something wasn’t letting her. It would hurt, it would be excruciating, but she was still able to go on, regardless of how much her muscle and light head told her otherwise. What was it? Her uncle? No, her memory of him perhaps. She didn’t want to let him down by giving up. She didn’t want to let anypony down by giving up. She couldn’t give up. Dawn had not travelled far, but that was perhaps the very reason as to why something deep down, even deeper than her very own thoughts, outright rejected the idea of abandoning the struggle she faced. There was so much left to see! Do! Learn!

“After all, to carry on my work demands the highest standard and you still need the experience!”

It was then that Dawn made a decision. She was just going to keep going. Once more did she lift her hoof and place it firmly into the sand and once more did she pull her friends along with her. And it did not mater how loudly her body begged her to stop, as she made sure to only focus on the smaller, yet far more commanding voice within her.

Dawn walked. She kept walking for what may have been minutes or days; she was concentrating far too much on simply taking the next step to be able to tell. And that was how it went on until, like the friends she carried so diligently, Dawn was consumed by darkness.

______________________________________________________________________________


“…Thank you. I apologise for such an abrupt request. I will be sure to return my gratitude in person soon.”

“Do not worry yourself, Aumean. We would be honoured to act host to any kin of yours.”

“Hmm, I’m not sure you would say that if you’d met the rest of my family.”

“That has yet to happen however, so the statement still stands.”

“Yes… Well, once again I’m sorry for asking this of you. Things… didn’t go quite how I thought they would.”

“You underestimated this land, Aumean. It is fortunate you had the means of contacting me.”

“I can assure you, friend, I won’t make the same mistake again.”

“Then all is well. It is comforting to know that even a being of your age is still able to learn from one’s errors. I must go now, the patrol is returning.”

“Goodbye then. Please, don’t-”

“Fear not. I will ensure that whatever part you played is kept secret.”

“…Thank you.”

“Hmm.”

With a meagre poof, the magical window disappeared in a small cloud of smoke, leaving the white alicorn alone in the now-silent chamber. It remained as such for several moments before a drawn-out sigh punctured the quiet followed by a frustrated voice.

“Stupid, stupid, stupid! What was I thinking!? That one went too far!”

Another sigh floating through the hall. Although the ancient mare was angry at herself for the mistake she had made, and the action she was forced to take as a result of it, she could not help but smile sadly.

“You were right, brother. I really am too much of an optimist aren’t I? The dragon was one thing, but… I really overdid it this time, didn’t I?”

Silence.

“…Now I’m talking to myself. But, if I am talking to myself… Sorry, children. I promise I won’t do something so reckless again.”

There was of course, no reply.

“Now I just have to think of a good way to phrase it to Penwell. After our previous discussion… he’s really going to take in into the small hours-… Still doing it Aumean, still doing it…”

Yet another, though considerably less annoyed, sigh made its way around the chamber. Aumean shook her head to herself, carried on smiling, and left the hall which lapsed into silence once more after the resounding boom of its doors echoed throughout.

______________________________________________________________________________


“…Where am I?”

“Take it slowly now, dear.”

“…Uncle!?” The sudden adrenaline rush forced Dawn’s eyes to shoot open. There before her was Star Swirl the Bearded, smiling.

“Yes, yes. It’s me. Don’t worry, it’s all over now,” he comforted her. Had she done it?

“Dawn, you’re awake!” The sound of hooves caused the confused earth pony’s head to whip around to the sight of all but one of companions rushing towards her excitedly. Luna, Discord, Surprise, Firefly, even Viator was there, healthy and happy at her regaining of consciousness. Yet Celestia was nowhere to be seen.

“What…? I don’t remember what happened… did we make it?” Dawn asked the assembled crowd. “Where’s Celestia?” They did not respond, and Dawn could only twist her neck back and forth looking at each with an increasingly desperate expression. “What’s wrong!? Why aren’t you speaking? What happened!?”

Finally, once all of their faces and smiles had subtlety shifted to hollow, emotionless visages, they spoke. “You failed.”

“Wha-”

“You failed, Dawn. You failed us.”

Dawn continued to crane her neck from side to side, now becoming aware that the space they were all in was nothing but endless black. “Wait-”

“I’m disappointed in you, Dawn. You have no right to call yourself my niece.”

“No, NO! What’s going on!? Why are you all-”

“Failure.”

“S-Stop!”

“Failure.”

“Celestia, what’s going-”

“Failure.”

“Stop it! What’s wrong with you-”

“Failu-”

“STOP IT!”

Piercing sunlight suddenly filled the earth pony’s vision and she was surrounded by the feel of feathers brushing softly on her coat.

“Easy, easy! It’s okay Dawn! Everything’s okay!” a familiar cheery voice called out from blinding light.

“…Surprise?” the blue pony mumbled. The voice certainly did sound like the snowy pegasus, though it was difficult for Dawn to tell whether it truly was her friend or whether she was still trapped within some sort of dream, or worse, nightmare.

“Yes! Just stay there, I’ll go get the others! Try not to move, alright?”

“Um, okay-”

“Hey everypony! She’s awake!” Surprise did not bother to wait for a response, she was too caught up with excitement and bolted from Dawn’s side yelling in joy.

“Hmm. She is a reckless one. Stay here,” yet another female voice asked the confused scientist. This voice was unfamiliar however and had an accent Dawn had never heard before, she was in fact totally unable to place it. She tried to find its source, but even with her hoof blocking the incredible rays of the sun, her vision was still blurred and her sore eyes could only make out a burly shape moving to the exit of whatever structure she was in. From the few things she could make out, Dawn was sure it was some sort of tent, a large one at that.

“…but why not!? She almost died you know!” More voices, this time coming from outside. Dawn was sure that the one she had just heard was Firefly’s.

“And that is precisely why. Do not worry yourself little ponies, draconequus. I shall have her remedies prepared soon. Once she has partaken of them, and had time to rest, then you may see her.” The voice of the large figure once again resounded. Despite not being especially loud, it was commanding and gave the solid impression that its owner was full of wisdom, certainly enough to make even Firefly back down in her demands. The blue earth pony could only make out so mumbling before the bulky figure returned to her side, covering the tent entrance in the process and blocking out the sun’s fierce glow.

“Who…?” Dawn blurted out with some effort. With the sunlight no longer in her eyes and her vision properly returning, the pony was able to make out more of her surroundings as well as the identity of her mysterious overseer. And it was more of a shock than it should have been, given their circumstances. The individual lying calmly by her side was without doubt a buffalo.

“Am I? Mmhm, yes, I am sure you will have many such questions. I am Spirit Horn, healer to the Sand Strider Tribe, the ones who rescued you and your friends from the desert,” the buffalo explained calmly. Dawn could see that while Spirit Horn maintained eye-contact with her whenever she spoke or was spoken to, she was still able to expertly mix various unique herbs, light candles of incense, crush brightly-coloured stones into fine powder and all sorts of other odd practises.

“The desert- Oh, that’s right! We were trapped in the sandstorm! What… Oh no… I blacked out, didn’t I? I failed all my friends…” The painful experience of her nightmare came flooding back to Dawn as she probed her memory for the events that had transpired.

“Failed? If you qualify your actions as a failure, little one, then I can only hope to ever see a success. There are few, even among us buffalo, who could have withstood the fury of the sands as long as you did, not including the weight of your friends as well,” the buffalo’s words resulted in Dawn blushing in embarrassment and she tried to cover her scarlet face with the feathery blankets. “No, the only failure was unavoidable ignorance. Entering the desert unprepared as you and your friends did has sadly claimed the lives of many a would-be traveller,” Spirit Horn sighed loudly. “Many times have I attempted to advise the chief on better educating your kind before they enter these treacherous lands, while they still know the luxuries of Last Meadow. Unfortunately, he does not feel the effort and risk to our own kind worth it, for the sake of the rare few who do underestimate the desert.”

“I see…”

“…Yes. Oh, and I believe this is yours. It must have fallen from you.” Spirit Horn reached around to what Dawn presumed were their bags.

“Oh, the pendant? I couldn’t have gotten so far without it!” the earth pony exclaimed, thankful that she hadn’t lost her uncle’s parting gift.

“Hmm. I sensed, and saw, the magic in it. It is certainly very powerful,” remarked the wise buffalo. However, the object Spirit Horn handed to Dawn was not the enchanted amulet she and her friends had been given by Star Swirl the Bearded. The pony’s face underwent an odd and rapid change, first falling in disappointment and confusion then lighting up in shocked realisation. What Spirit Horn held in her hoof, was a perfectly cut, light cyan gemstone that shone with its own light. It could only be one of the Elements that the others had shown her, and the very purpose of their very journey.

“Where… where did you find this?” Dawn struggled to say, such was her amazement.

“Hmm? I am told it was by your side where they found you, half-buried in the sand. Why, is there something wrong?”

Dawn did not reply and simply gazed at the gem, frowning. ‘Could it just be coincidence…? No, the chances of it are astronomical. There must be something else-’

Hey lady! Can we see her yet!?” a familiarly impatient voice yelled from outside the tent. A blue maned head poked in from around the flap of the tent door. “Dawn! How you feelin’? Hurry up and get better so we can get out of here! I hate to say it, but these buffalo are really lame! C’mon-Ow, ow! Hey, cut it out!” Firefly was unable to finish her complaints, as a light red glimmer manifested above her head and forcibly shoved it out of the tent.

“Your friend should learn some patience. Though her concern for you is admirable.” The light was unmistakably that of the telekinetic magic commonly seen in use by unicorns. Dawn was sure that other than her and Spirit Horn, there was no others in the tent, and the magic’s colour did not match that of any of the scientist’s friends. Which left only one other possibility.

“You can use magic!? Wait,” Dawn stroked her chin thoughtfully, thinking of the healer’s exact words. “Of course, that’s how you sensed the Element’s magic…” concluded the earth pony.

Spirit Horn smiled. “Yes. Though all buffalo have horns, the gift of magic does not run strongly in our people. Few have the raw talent needed to develop it to any great extent. It is a shame, perhaps, but we survive and many of my brethren are happy without it,” the healer explained with both a hint of melancholy and amusement.

“But it’s still fascinating! Do buffalo magicians specialise in anything specific? I assume they serve similar roles to you, as healers?” Dawn excitedly inquired.

“Yes, you are right. Despite their scarcity, we specialise in using our magics in conjunction with what plants, herbs and other treasures the desert has to offer,” Spirit Horn gestured to the various reagents she was still masterfully mixing. “May I ask the same of you? Though as I understand it, unicorns are somewhat more adventurous when it comes to the arcane. Like that gem of yours. Its energies are powerful, yes, but also… strange,” the buffalo noted with a frown.

“Oh, yes, it’s actually one of several artefacts we’re searching for. I could tell you more, but I don’t really know a great deal about them myself… sorry,” Dawn said with an apologetic smile.

“Do not fret, it is of no great importance. Besides, your remedy is ready,” The healer finished her art and handed the bottle she had been using to Dawn. A faint green mist emanated from the bottle, accompanied by a powerfully fragrant smell. “It shall cure you of the desert’s lashing. Eyes, throat, lungs, all will be set right in little time. Drink, and with a little more rest I promise you that all your ailments shall have floated away,” Spirit Horn encouraged, mimicking the action with her own hooves.

Dawn sniffed the contents of the bottle. She certainly could do with the aid; her time in the sandstorm had left her more than a few reminders. Her throat burned, breathing was noticeably more difficult and her eyes were very sore and irritated. Though the earth pony was a little wary of taking such a concoction from a stranger, she had been observing Spirit Horn as she worked and could confirm from hours in the laboratory that the buffalo’s processes were sound, if a little primitive. There really was no reason for Dawn to be suspicious of the healer, she and the other buffalo had saved their lives after all. With such thoughts in mind, Dawn decided to simply trust Spirit Horn and downed the drink quickly.

‘Huh. Better than most potions…’ The remedy was by no means an aged bottle of wine, but lacked the gag-inducing bitterness of many elixirs Dawn had had to drink over the years and it flowed down smoothly. Almost as soon as the liquid reached her stomach, the blue coated pony began to feel incredibly drowsy and looked to Spirit Horn with what must have been a confused expression.

“Do not worry, little pony. An hour or two more of rest, and all will be well,” the buffalo assured, smiling gently to the sleepy pony and guiding her head down to the bed’s pillows slowly.

Dawn could not respond or resist, and was struggling to keep her eyes open. After the nightmare she had experienced the last time she had been asleep, the prospect of slumber did not appeal to her. But it was of no use, the sleeping agent the drink contained must have been a powerful one, and Dawn could only submit herself to the relaxed state spreading through her body. Within seconds, darkness covered her vision entirely and she was snoring gently once again.