• Published 25th Aug 2017
  • 1,027 Views, 13 Comments

My How the Seasons Go By... - The Lone Doctor



When Marble traveled to her sister's home in Oregon for her Rumspringa, she didn't ever expect to fall in love. Then again, she didn't expect to lose that love to war, either.

  • ...
3
 13
 1,027

Epilogue: Winds Change

"This is NBC News, with a special report." The black and white title card faded in as the newscaster appeared on the screen, shuffling his papers as he fixed his wide, black framed glasses. "Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. A nation in chaos, as the war in Southeast Asia begins to wind down, a shocking, unprecedented attack occurred in Saigon this Thanksgiving weekend.

A strange structure appeared several blocks away from the government district where the U.S. Embassy and the South Vietnamese Presidential Palace lies. Moments afterward, beings only described as being akin to caribou, to horses, and to creatures only seen in fairy tales, attempted to ransack and take the capitol.

“The South Vietnamese forces were able to push the enemy back and take prisoners. It is estimated that over a hundred people are dead, among them are ten Americans, five of them Marines who were guarding the U.S. Embassy as the attack occurred, the other half consisting of tourists who had intended to take in the sights and sounds of Saigon before the attack. There has been no word from South Vietnamese President Nguyen Van Thieu thus far but we'll..."

Marble phased her attention away from the television. Ever since her arrival to the English world, the one word she kept hearing around town was Vietnam, how many families had sons and daughters who were over there who were slowly being sent home. But in turn, she heard of how many of the people she knew around her were still being drafted for service there.

Initially, she was worried that Sunset would've been drafted to go. One of the worst fears she had aside from coming clean about her feelings for her was the fear that she would be drafted to fight in the war. Her fears only truly subsided when Sunset told her that women didn’t qualify for the draft, and that she was safe, much to Marble's own delight as she nuzzled into the warmth of her love from the windy autumn weather outdoors.

But now, the fact that she knew Sunset couldn't get drafted was the only thing repeating in her mind as the bulletin continued droning on about the attacks in Saigon, at a time where people were supposed to be thankful for what they have. She had no choice though, repeating that fact was the only thread of sanity keeping her from breaking down as she tried to absentmindedly wash the dishes laid out in front of her.


"As the strongest nation in this region, and as a protégée to a nation that thrives on free choice and democracy, we must pay it forward, and help these people. For if we don’t help them, who will? To them, we will be the beacon of freedom, of choice, and of happiness; just as how the Americans tried to be when they helped fight our battles. And thus, I urge you, we must declare war not just to save ourselves, but to save others. Thank you, thank you very much.”

Applause roared from the television as a balding, aging Asian man walked down from the podium, and then the view suddenly switched to the bespectacled reporter. "President Nixon reaffirmed his commitment to supporting South Vietnam, as he continues his process of 'peace with honor' through his Vietnamization plan. The president had this to say in support for Thieu.”

The image then switched to another balding, aging man, as he stood on a podium with dark curtains in the background, "The actions executed by the Caribou Empire have made it a Derogatory Evil. Their crimes represent the worst of man, and represent all of what the United States is opposed to. We have complete confidence in South Vietnam's ability to restore freedom and democracy to this new territory, and to keep peace and order within that new territory, in addition to Southeast Asia. It is with this confidence that we shall maintain aid in South Vietnam's endeavor to liberate Equestria. At the same time, we will maintain our stance of peace with honor, and will not send dedicated boots on the ground unless the situation calls for it. However, advisors will..."

Marble could only rub her hands anxiously as Nixon continued to moan on and on. What does this mean? Will we be in another war? What's going to happen? Marble's anxiety came back with a vengeance, her rationale of Sunset not being qualified for the draft collapsing as rumors of war whispered subtly through the television.

The screen suddenly went to black, and a cool, pale arm wrapped around Marble's fragile frame. She looked up, finding the monotonous, but comforting face of her seemingly emotionless sister greet her. "Is this about Sunset?"

Marble nodded. "Sh-she said that she couldn't be qualified for the draft, b-but, I know her. She might join anyway if one of her friends join. She always wants to make up for what she did, Maud. This might be a perfect opportunity for her."

Maud nodded in understanding, "Do you have any fears that she might kill herself trying to make up for her past?"

Marble shook her head.

"Then she should be alright, Sunset seems like the kind of person who would stick up for what she believes in, but she seems to be smart enough to know some of her limits."

Marble only nodded in agreement.

"The only way she would get involved in this was if she enlisted, and from what I heard, it doesn't seem like Sunset has any plans on enlisting. None of her friends, including our sister, have made any plans on enlisting." Maud paused to let what she said sink in. "Either way, mom told us that if a person has a purpose, it is never a good idea to keep them from it. Marble, if she truly wants to follow this path, there isn't a way to keep her here and for both of you to remain happy."

Marble simply nodded back. Maud rubbed her back as she continued her words of comfort.

"Marble, just don't worry about it. You'll figure it out when you get to it. Just remember, whatever happens, it's her choice, don't let it get in the way of what you have. Better?"

Marble nodded, smiling, as she nuzzled into her sister's comforting embrace.


“I’m enlisting in the army” Sunset announced, not cutting eye contact with the meek and former Amish. Those five words sent Marble into a spiral of panic, as a thousand thoughts a minute ran through her mind.

“W-Why?” Marble croaked out. “I thought they said the war in Vietnam was coming to an end.”

Sunset cupped Marble’s jawline as she continued to stare into her eyes while they sat on the bed, nearly shivering from the freezing winters of Oregon, the grey, blockading clouds creating a mournful atmosphere. “Did you remember that I mentioned how I came from another country before I came here?”

Marble nodded. Sunset then followed up on that question, "Have you heard what's been going on in Vietnam?"

Marble nodded again, who didn't know? Word had been passed down the grapevine after the latest news broadcast of how a little country halfway across the world named South Vietnam discovered a portal leading into undiscovered worlds and was now fighting a war there. She stammered out quickly as she tried to wipe away tears, “But you don’t look Vietnamese.”

“I’m not, but this new territory that the Vietnamese found, Equestria, that’s where I came from Marble. It’s my home, my friends, my family, even if they were horrible, Princess Twilight, they’re all in danger, I can’t leave them to rot in Tartarus. Did you see the news bulletins on TV?” Sunset explained as her smile slowly collapsed into a small frown.

Marble shook her head, “I’ve only heard from some of the older people around the town.”

“You should’ve seen it, Marble, there were slaves everywhere, most of them couldn’t even stand, and most of them were broken. I can’t just sit there, Marble.” Sunset stroked Marble’s tears away. “I just can’t. I’m sorry.”

“I-I understand Sunset, if there’s a wrong that needs to be right, god knows you will fight.” Marble bitterly smiled, “It’s one of the reasons why I love you.”

Sunset glumly smiled back, tears starting to well in her eyes. “I’ll promise to write to you while I’m in boot camp.”

“You’ll have to be careful though, I heard the army kicks out people like us.”

Sunset nodded, “I know, I will. As long as I’m not open about it, I’ll be fine.”

“H-How long will you be gone?” Marble meekly whispered.

“I have six week’s training, then I’ll be back for a day or two, then I’ll be shipped out after that.” Sunset replied, her face melting into another frown as she saw Marble’s crying intensify. She wrapped her arms around Marble, and rubbed her back, letting her nuzzle into the enveloping warmth. They stayed together throughout the night, making the best out of the remaining time they had. Why did she have to do this? Marble thought. What does she want to prove?


It rained the day Sunset left. As the thunder and lightning roared, flowers were in bloom, the birds were singing, and the green was slowly returning to Canterlot the day that Sunset waited on the bus. She was clad in her WAC’s uniform, Sergeant’s chevrons stitched onto her sleeves. She had been kept behind for another month due to her selection into the advisor program. Over that period, she learned skills in gathering intelligence, and in the language and cultures of the Vietnamese people.

It had been momentous the day Sunset returned home from basic training. With her were her orders of deployment to Vietnam. Pinkie wasted no time in organizing a farewell party the previous night to give her final goodbyes. She received gifts, ranging from pastries (Pinkie) to toilet paper and personal care items (Rarity) to a full-on novel “just to pass the time” (Twilight). She received hugs, and kisses (the latter being dominated by Marble), and dozens of tearful speeches as the night pressed on, after all the dancing. Sunset spent her final night with Marble safe in her arms.

“Be sure to write back to me, you hear?” Sunset interjected, breaking Marble’s train of thought. Marble nodded in response.

“And god be with you so you may return to me safely.” Marble replied back. She fiddled with her pockets, and after several minutes, pulled out a velvet black box. “This is for you, something to remember me by.” She said plainly, a slight red tint slowly appearing.

Sunset accepted the box with the grace of a thousand swans, and opened it. Her face suddenly morphed into an awestruck expression.

Inside was a plain, silver ring, and stuffed in the lid, was a black and white picture of both Sunset and Marble, taken by Pinkie, both smiling, barefoot, and in swimsuits, with the beach in its black glory.

“Marble, this is wonderful.” Sunset whispered in a dazed haze.

“You’ll have something to prove by besides what you’re fighting for. You’ll have someone to come home to when this is all over. Just please don’t do this for glory Sunset, or do it with an assumption that you need to die for your sins.”

Sunset peacefully grinned, “I’m not serving to prove anything, I’m doing it so you don’t have to be scared, so I don’t see my home in shambles again. I promise I’ll take you to Equestria when this is all over. I promise.”

“Pinkie promise?” Marble eloquently whispered.

“Cross my heart, and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye.” Sunset giggled back, gesturing to sticking a frosted pastry into her eye. Marble followed suit, swearing over her dear sister’s name.

Sunset reached out, and held onto Marble’s hand, fingers intertwining, grasping in final desperation. The holding turned into a full-on hug, as Marble took a deep breath and memorized Sunset’s scent. They finally let go as the PA system broke the silence. Sunset picked up her duffel bag, and slowly inched away from Marble Pie.

“I’ll see you again, someday.”

“I hope so.”

Sunset kept her arm outstretched, the only thing connecting them being two hands. “I love you Marble, and I always will.”

“I love you too. Godspeed, Sunset.” Marble said, tearing up as she let go of Sunset’s hand.

“I’ll be home before you know it. Just keep your hopes up, Marble.” Sunset said in calm resolution. She turned to board the bus, and then whirled back again to give a subtle wave.

And just like that, Sunset was gone.


Marble stared at the pony plushy she won with Sunset, slowly recalling more peaceful times. I wonder where Sunset is now? She must be in California by now. She thought. She reminisced of all the times Sunset made her laugh. Of times when she cried. Of times where she made her heart aflutter. Those were great times, times I will always cherish, in life and in death, and should she perish. Marble thought wistfully as she looked from the plushie, back to her Bible, and whispered her prayer. Chirping quickly broke her train of thought, she looked outside, and saw in forlorn recognition a familiar sight in the pouring rain.

There stood the dove, in all its graceful glory. There was no branch in its mouth, and it was cooing softly, and mournfully

Author's Note:

And there we have it, ladies and gentlemen, after a crud-long delay in publishing, and with the contest over, I can finally bring this out. I’d like to thank Oroboro for providing a catalyst where we can write our Sunset ships. I didn’t win the contest, but I’ve had fun writing this.

In fact, as mentioned, there are a lot of things that I’d want to write with this concept, see how it goes. If you want to see what happens to Sunset on her deployment to Vietnam, and eventually Equestria, or you just like military historical dramas, there’s this fic...eventually... Otherwise, keep on the lookout for more Amish Sunset/Marble goodness. Until then, see you in country.

Comments ( 6 )

i want more this is very interesting

thoe i cant see the millitary over whelming eqeustria do to magic theyc oudl send tornados at the troops and such but that is a nitpick

Well, if that dove doesn't signify Sunset's death, then I'll be exuberant and gladly mistaken.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

This is AU enough that I probably shouldn't be questioning this, but why does Sunset need to enlist? Couldn't she just take the girls over there and start blasting magic at everything? <.<

That aside, why Oregon? XD

8795856

Well the reason why the Humane 6 can’t go into the hot zone guns blazing, is basically because in this AU, the Vietnam war is still happening, some Caribou took over the Equestrian homeland, and threw a wrench into the Vietnam war. Sunset sees some ponies attacking humans, fears for the worst, and enlists to essentially try to save her country the old fashioned way.

The portal the Humane 6 doesn’t work because in creating a new portal, the villains had cannibalized(?) the original portal, or used up its energy. And said new portal is under the South Vietnamese government.

As for Oregon...well... it was the only state I could think of that would have everything featured in the main Equestria Girl’s series, beaches, farms, evergreen forests with mountains. It had that either Canada, or Northwest American vibe.

Overall, the AU was extremely wacky to say the least.

8795852

And yes. It’s the reason why I have a spin-off in the works, filled with one shots taking place during and after this fic. Still a work in progress though, I’m getting bogged down in high school senior life.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

8797032
Okay, that's actually a really good reason to choose this setting, then. :)

Login or register to comment