• Published 1st Aug 2017
  • 1,717 Views, 78 Comments

Once More, with Feeling - Amaranthine Thought



The first chance was little more than a frail shadow. Now, she has a chance. Now, she can do it again. Ponies need to be saved and Twilight Sparkle is just the pony to do so.

  • ...
0
 78
 1,717

Chapter 3: A hard time

Celestia woke peacefully, stretching as she always did. She felt a little tired yet, and for a moment didn’t know why. And then it came back to her and she nodded to herself.

The new alicorn was a mystery, a great one, and she wanted an answer. Who had she been? Where had she met Lux? After all, Lux was not somepony you just stumbled across.

She headed out of her room and to the normal balcony, doing her normal morning ritual. Something was a little strange, but she dismissed it and relaxed in the sunlight as she caused the dawn.

With that done, she went to the throne room, to relieve Luna. Generally speaking, her younger sister never had many problems; few ponies came during the nighttime with something important or difficult to deal with.

Luna even enjoyed dealing with those that did come. Maybe Celestia could let her continue for a time, and go to see how Rest was doing.

Maybe she would be more open when she just awoke.


Twilight stirred at the knock, and woke groggy. She shook herself, death’s chill and the warmth of power flowing through her and waking her faster than normal.

She got out of bed, and for a second didn’t know where she was. Then she recalled, and took a deep breath to calm herself. Now was not the time to panic.

Another knock came, and Twilight called, “Hang on!”

She looked at the bed and focused, planning to put it back. She had done so often, and it was like an old habit as she used her magic the same way she always did.

The pillow exploded against the wall, the sheets piling on top of the feathers and the bed itself shifting an inch or two from what she had thought to be a light touch.

Twilight stared in dismay and rushed to try and fix it without magic.

Her strength had increased as well.

After a hurried minute, she hoped that nopony would notice the missing pillow, the faint tear in the sheets, or the cracked wall and opened the door.

She stared upon seeing Celestia, having expected a maid or something similar.

“Did you have a good sleep Rest?” she asked, perfectly calm. The picture of royalty.

“Just fine princess.” Twilight said.

“I have to begin day court, but we do have some time. Would you join me for breakfast?”

“Or course! I’d love to.” Twilight smiled. This was more like the Celestia she knew.

Beware Twilight. she heard Death whisper to her as the pair walked down the halls. She paused for a second before continuing again, trying to think of a way to speak to Death without Celestia noticing.

“Beware what?” she hissed as softly as she possibly could. Celestia made no motion to indicate having heard her.

Celestia wishes to know your secrets. She will ask you questions about your past, how you met Lux. You must be cautious.

Twilight was worried at Death’s warning. She needed to have something to say to Celestia. It wasn’t like she could just say she was sensitive about her time before becoming an alicorn and didn’t want to say anything.

… Or could she?

“Do you prefer lettuce Rest?”

“What?” Twilight said, listening to Celestia again. The alicorn glanced back at her as they arrived at a simple dining room, large windows allowing the dawn’s light to stream inside.

“Do you prefer flowers or lettuce for breakfast?” Celestia asked.

“Flowers please.”

Celestia nodded and sat down, Twilight doing the same. After a moment a simple breakfast was delivered, the pony doing so giving Twilight a very curious look before leaving a little slower than she should have.

“Do not mind the staff. As a new alicorn, you will generate great interest in the population.”

“I know.” Twilight said, feeling uncomfortable at the idea.

“Do not fear. I will take steps to insure your comfortable introduction to everypony. For now, relax. We have time.”

Twilight nodded, and for a few moments the pair ate in silence.

“If you do not mind my asking, where did you come from Rest?”

“Canterlot.” she answered without thinking. Then winced at Death’s hiss.

Celestia chuckled. “I am too quick to judge sometimes. I had wondered how you knew us, but I never thought of the obvious. What was your life like before alicornhood?”

“… I… I don’t want to talk about it.”

Celestia looked concerned, and Twilight tensed a little.

“Nothing too difficult to bear I hope.” she said.

“No! No… I… left after a while. Job change. And… I… wandered around for a bit, settled down somewhere… Just… Life. Perfectly normal life.”

“A perfectly normal life led you to meet Lux?”

“…Yes?” Twilight hazarded, worried. Celestia looked curious.

“How does a perfectly normal life lead a pony to meet with the alicorn of light itself?”

“…What?”

“Lux is the power over every light there is. Every sun, every star, every moon. Perhaps a few of his actions can be considered… ill thought, but he only rarely visits Equestria. And when he does so, he has always visited those he has met before, which he hasn’t this time.”

“How did you meet him?” she asked, a rather pointed question as Twilight reeled from what Lux represented.

Every single light? He was the alicorn of light itself… Somepony so… energetic, and… well, approachable? He did not give the impression of power. He was so eager, so happy with what she now realized was her miserable attempt at controlling the stars that she would never have guessed.

How did she meet him…? Twilight tried and failed to think of something. It sounded impossible to her that anypony could simply meet Lux.

Celestia waited without changing her expression at all as Twilight gaped and slightly paled.

“… I… I…” She said, trying to find something, anything, to tell Celestia.

Death had told her to keep secrets. It seemed her only chance.

“I don’t want to say.”

Celestia cocked her head, and Twilight didn’t look at her, staring at her half eaten flowers.

“…Very well Rest. I understand.”

Twilight screamed inwardly. She could hear Celestia’s suspicion. Her slight dislike of not knowing. It was painful for Twilight to keep things from her, or to suffer any indication of her anger. Even something so slight.

Breakfast was finished in silence. Celestia stood again and turned away. “It is time to start day court, and now might be the best time to begin your introduction. Follow after me Rest.”

Twilight did so, hanging her head. She did not like how breakfast had went.

She perked up when she heard chatter from the throne room, as if a crowd was inside. Celestia looked curious as she opened the doors and a hush fell over the room.

Twilight stared in minor confusion; the room was packed with ponies, and every last one was staring at her.

Then a flurry of camera flashes startled her and she yelled, closing her eyes and taking a step back before Celestia spread her wings to protect her.

“Princess! A comment on the new…”

“Can I have an opinion on…”

“Who is she?”

SILENCE!” Luna roared from the back of the room, looking worn and angry. The crowd ceased and cowered slightly.

“Let my sister approach, and remain silent until thou art called!” she snapped. A path opened in the crowd.

“Princess…” Twilight murmured from behind her.

“… Follow me and do not look at them.” Celestia said, walking forward. Twilight hurried after her, meek and trying not to look at anypony.

She could feel their stares, their interest nearly boiling over if not for their respect of Celestia and their slight fear of Luna. Once at the thrones, she retreated behind Celestia once again as the alicorn turned to the gathered crowd.

“One at a time, please.” she said, standing tall. She looked around and hesitated upon seeing a smaller group of ponies closet to the thrones. “You.” She said, indicating them.

One came forward, looking nervous. “Well Princess, in hindsight… maybe it isn’t too terribly important.”

“You have come to the night court and remain. It is very important.” she said, glancing at Luna who nodded. The pony looked even more nervous.

“I… We are the astronomers from Canterlot library Princess. And a few… oddities occurred last night that we found distressing.”

“The stars moved in ways not seen before, and a constellation… moved.” he said, trying to sound like he was not upset at all. “We… were curious! Yes, curious as to why.”

Luna glanced at Twilight who was covering her face with her hooves.

Celestia looked out over the rest of the crowd. “I think I can answer that question and most others with the same answer.” Most ponies looked eager.

“Last night, Equestria has become home to a new alicorn.” she said, many of the ponies only just stopping themselves from yelling to try and ask something.

“She has become alicorn of the stars, and has only just ascended. Please, do not rush her with your questions.”

Twilight paled as Celestia moved aside. Luna pushed her next to Celestia and she looked over the crowd, staring. Most stared back.

Luna pointed at one who jumped up.

“Can I have a name?” he asked, holding a microphone out.

“I… My name… Rest. I am Rest.” she managed, trying to speak normally.

“As the new alicorn of the stars, why did you decide to ‘redecorate’ our night sky? Perhaps a difference of opinion between the princesses? Did you decide on your own?”

“It… I was just trying to… I made a little mistake.” she said, and most of the crowd gasped, causing her to flinch.

“I see… One last question?”

Twilight nodded.

“Can I have the first official comment from our new alicorn on her newfound position? Thoughts? Opinions?”

“… I… I want to help?” she near whispered.

“Could you repeat that?”

“I want to help.”

“Can you clarify?”

Twilight took a deep breath. “This power is a responsibility, not a gift. I am here to try and help ponies. Nothing more, nothing less.”

He nodded happily and backed away, beaming.

The next came up, eager and already writing in a notebook.

“Great words Princess!” she said, and before Twilight could correct her, she added, “I take it that your life before becoming an alicorn was interesting?”

Twilight frowned slightly. “My life before this one is not something I am going to be talking about. Ask something else.”

The reporter looked surprised, but nodded, scribbling more.

“Do you have a hobby?”

Twilight smiled, growing more used to this.

“Yes. I enjoy reading.”

“Wonderful. Do you, did you, or will you, have a special somepony?”

Twilight stared for a second before blushing heavily again. “No! I mean… That’s not…”

“Thank you!” the reporter chirped, the rest beginning to whisper eagerly to each other.

“Are you going to be participating in any official events?”

“Princess Celestia will have to decide.”

“You’re on first name basis with the princess and or princesses?”

“Yes, I mean no!”

“Are you planning changes to our night sky?”

“No! Well… maybe. Not now.”

“Describe yourself in a single sentence?”

“I’m a uni… alicorn, my name is Rest, and I’m blue.”

“Do you have any opinion on the bearers of the elements of harmony?”

“… Yes.”

“Can we know?”

“They are all… great ponies. The best ponies.”

“What do you think of the twin princesses?”

“They are good rulers.”

“Are you plotting and or planning any great change to our government, and if so, what?”

“What? No, or course not!”

“Do you know you are adorable when you blush?”

“What!? Don’t… stop asking things like that!”

Twilight kept answering questions for some time, growing weary until only one remained.

“How, exactly, are you going to help?” he asked. “There doesn’t seem much to be done in Equestria, and an alicorn assisting ponies in their day to day lives seems unlikely.”

“Ponies suffer.” Twilight said rather bluntly, too tired to use any kind of tact. “There are always ponies who need help, but sometimes, they are alone. Forgotten. Left behind. I’m going to end that suffering, any way I can. Find them, wherever they may be, and bring them back to peace.”

He nodded, slightly awed. The guards began escorting the crowd out and Twilight sighed drooping heavily.

“Thou did well.”

“A fine first attempt, especially considering the situation. Are you alright Rest?”

“I’ll be fine.”

“If thou wishes to shift the sky… perhaps we can help thee to do so.”

Twilight gave a tired smile to Luna. “I’d like that.”

Twilight.

“Yes?” she asked, Luna and Celestia looking slightly confused.

There is a soul you must guide, and soon. It will be lost otherwise. In the Everfree. You know the place; you lost your body there.

“I’ll go in…” she glanced at Celestia and Luna. “Um… I… I have to go for a moment. I’ll be right back.”

She vanished and arrived in the woods groaning. She had very nearly slipped up at the very end. Dealing with everypony’s questions had been wearing, and more than a few embarrassing or mildly insulting.

“Where is it Master?”

Ahead of you. In the ruins of Zecora’s home.

Twilight winced, but headed that way. When she came across the burnt husk of the tree she hesitated, remembering the last time she was there.

It was still so fresh in her mind… Zecora’s last words, before she crushed her and burned her home. Her friends having to end her rampage, helped by the ghosts, burning away as she finally regained control of herself… It was like she had been there just the last day.

She walked forward slowly. Then she spotted a wisp of a soul flitting about the structure. Several in fact.

She caught the first and pulled it toward her.

“Wait, remain with me and do not leave! I do not know you yet, your leaving leaves nothing to grieve.”

“Zecora?” Twilight said, stunned.

“What is this?” the zebra asked, her soul stepping into sight. “An alicorn that I have missed?”

“Zecora…” Twilight whispered. She clenched her eyes, a few tears collecting.

“You know me? And you can see. But something is wrong, I can tell. You are not feeling at all well.”

“I’m so sorry!” she yelled.

“I have just met you. There is nothing for you to make amends to.”

Twilight! Death snapped in her mind, snapping her from the memories. Recall the warning! Even the dead are not safe.

Twilight stopped herself, and shook herself. It was hard. It was almost impossibly hard to keep her mouth shut. But she had to. There was no other choice.

“I… I am just sad over your passing.” she managed. “I had heard of you before.”

Zecora cocked her head, eyeing her.

“There is much power in you I see… but Death you cannot be. The life is not his to own, and with your words the truth of your life you have shown.”

“So what do you claim to be? What brings you to meet me?”

“I came here to put the souls to rest.”

“A servant of Death in life… as odd as hearing that a child found a wife.”

“I… think I know what you mean. But I do serve, and I am not going to let those souls become lost. Which they will be, and fairly soon I think.”

“If you find the need, take them from my home. I can only bring them here to my loam.”

“You should come too.”

Zecora laughed. “I am not his to claim just yet, my soul he hasn’t won! My regrets are not quite set, my duties are not quite done!”

“I offer you a deal, so we needn’t have to fight. I will gather the souls in the forest close to me. You will come and bring them to their rest where I can see. And when there is not one more, I will find my light.”

Twilight smiled. “I would be happy to let you have some time. And your help is accepted.”

She focused, and five souls whisked from Zerocra’s home to find a place in her jar. She felt Death’s uncertainty and wondered.

“Master?” she asked, “Is something wrong?”

… Nothing. You have that authority.

“What authority?”

Letting Zecora continue. Accepting her deal.

It might be better if you simply guide her now, but…

If you did that, you would become more a reaper, and less a life. By our contract, I cannot order you from life.

If you find reason, you are allowed to let them continue on. Help them to finish their lives. But be aware:

Many have regrets that are not good. Some will need you to contain them, lest thoughts of revenge or even hatred of life be allowed to continue. And many, a great many, will try and cheat time from you. And a few might even try to steal a portion of power if you are not careful.

Be cautious in your compassion Twilight. But do not lose sight of your life.

“I will Master.” she said. Death’s warnings had to be taken seriously; after all, who had more experience than Death in dealing with souls?

Your jar is growing full. Zecora’s home is a conduit.

“What? Really?”

She did so purposefully. She took care and caution to make it ready. When she died, the connection completed, and she has some control over it.

Hence how she can bring souls to it.

In most cases… that is very bad. My power is not to be taken so easily, but she has paid the prices and signed the contract herself, long ago.

“Zecora did all that?”

“I did,” Zecora remarked, causing Twilight to stare at her, “It is only wise. It only helps me to help even after my demise.”

Your hearing is sharper.

“So it is. I can also see your abyss.”

Your rest awaits.

“Not till I am done with my life! I want to end the strife.”

Rest has granted you that. Go.

Zecora nodded and turned to Twilight.

“It is good to meet you, and should you worry, I am doing well. Now I shall start my hunt, and you should return to yours before the evening bell.”

She turned and stepped away into the woods. Twilight watched her go, and then deposited her jar in the ruins of the house.

The skull stop it opened, and she saw the souls rush out only to vanish a few feet from the jar. Then the skull shut and the numeral reset and a small sack appeared next to Twilight.

“What’s this?”

Your payment.

Twilight picked it up and found four coins within it. They were gold, fairly large, and each had a skull imprinted on them. They were cold.

Keep them from other’s sight. Go back; it grows late and we do not wish to attract undue attention.


Twilight reappeared in the castle, surprising a guard. She was in the library, one of the places she felt comfortable teleporting to; other places were either unwise due to the possibility of somepony being there or too awkward. Like a bedroom.

The guards zipped away, and left Twilight to look about the library before giving a soft squee of happiness. There were new books since she had last been.

Celestia found her in her usual spot, reading like she always had. A little differently due to her new size, and holding the book exceptional carefully, lest she destroy the book in her magic, but still, much the same. Celestia paused for a second before walking over.

“Welcome back Rest. Everything went well?”

Twilight nodded, still reading.

“Luna wishes to meet with you after dinner. A guard shall fetch you when the time comes.”

Twilight nodded again, and Celestia stared for a moment before walking away, thoughtful.

Twilight had heard her, but was far too engrossed in her reading to respond. Everything was going very well.


Luna winced as Twilight tried again to control the stars. It hadn’t been going well. Some might even say that it was going horribly.

Effectively, Twilight needed to touch everything, and then move with the greatest of care. It wasn’t anything like she had tried before; it was not unlike trying to grab all the dust in a room and move it without disturbing any of it.

“A little less power this time.” Luna said.

Twilight nodded, focusing hard. A patch of stars shifted, but the rest held still.

“Grab more of them, spread your grip.”

She nodded, and focused harder, spreading her grip more. It was becoming harder to control; the power was there, but it seemed to fight her.

She fought back, and reached to grab more, and more, and more, fighting to gain control of it. Once she felt satisfied with her grip, trembling from the effort, she shifted.

The stars wheeled through the sky, and if Twilight hadn’t caught most of them again, they would have randomized itself. As it was, two constellations were just gone.

“Perhaps this is enough for now.” Luna said weakly, staring at the sky as Twilight panted.

“Mayhap some simpler lessons in control would help thee?”

“I… I can’t seem to hold onto it. I can only move the little patch well.”

“We see that. But we know it can be fixed, do not fear! But we are needed elsewhere. Find some sleep Rest.”

“Where?”

“…Take our room once again. I do not mind.”

Twilight nodded, tired and headed away. Luna watched her go and then looked back at the night sky.

She stared for a moment before tipping her head slightly, trying to see if she was seeing correctly. Then she gave a gentle gasp.

A constellation known as the heart was near her moon. And more importantly, the grouping of stars Twilight had shifted originally had formed into a semi recognizable arrow shape.

Coming from the heart, pointing at the moon.

She stared at it for a long while, noting how the stars followed the moon as it slowly rose. Then she looked down.

“I thought flowers were the common gesture.” she whispered to herself. “What am I going to do…?”