• Published 17th Aug 2017
  • 518 Views, 3 Comments

Canterlot High: After School - reading is magic



Join a trio of Canterlot High students talk about the aftermath of each Equestria Girls movies!

  • ...
 3
 518

Equestria Girls; Encounter with Sunset

Author's Note:

The following event takes place after the first movie. You know, in case you’re wondering.

Book Worm sat in the library alone for some reading of his newly bought Daring Do book. While he could’ve gone home and read there, the library simply was a divine sanctuary for the said hobby. There was something about the place that made him stay a lot. If allowed, he would even sleep in there! But who would do such a thing? Book Worm dismissed the ridiculous idea and returned to his wonderful reading. The action from the pages gripped his mental focus from anything else. Now how is Daring Do gonna get through this one?

Book Worm then felt a tap on his shoulder, to which he ignored and kept reading. He felt another tap.

“Not now.”

Another tap.

Is the library already closing? Book Worm checked his phone on the table in front of him and saw it still was early. Guess not.

Then another tap.

“Okay, what the hell do you want?” Book Worm laid down his book onto the table, careful not to damage his copy. He then turned around and saw Sunset Shimmer smiling awkwardly. “Oh.”

“Hey,” Sunset awkwardly greeted, scratching her head. “I hope I’m not disturbing you.”

Book Worm glared at Sunset.

“Okay, I guess I am,” Sunset said, raising her hands defensively. “I’m just gonna go then.”

“Well, you can’t just disturb me and get away with it,” Book Worm retorted. “What do you want?”

“Um,” Sunset’s eyes darted away from eye contact. “Look, you know how I used to bully everyone?”

“‘Bully’ is an understatement, but do go on.”

“Well, Twilight’s friends are trying to get me on the right track.” Sunset scratched the back of her head. “They said the first step to connect with everyone here is to apologize.”

“Okay?” Book Worm raised an eyebrow.

“And I’m here to apologize. To the things I did to you.” Sunset then looked at Book Worm with much sincerity.

“Okay, what exactly are you apologizing for?”

“What?” Sunset eyes widened.

“What are you apologizing for?” Book Worm rested his elbow on the table. “There’s quite a lot of things you did to me.”

“I-I can’t exactly name them all!” Sunset stammered.

“Then what’s the point of apologies if you can’t remember what you’re apologizing for?”

“I probably called you a nerd, right?”

“That’s a start, but only a small one.”

“Do you really want to remember all the times I was mean to you?!” Sunset said with a look of disbelief.

“No, but if I say I forgive you, which I don’t, then I would be saying everything’s water under the bridge, and I mean everything terrible. And there’s quite a lot to forgive.”

“Ugh! Why is this so hard?!” Sunset scratched her head rapidly.

“I don’t know.” Book Worm sighed. “I’m guessing other people already forgave you.”

“Actually… no.” Sunset looked away, holding her left arm.

“No?”

“Whenever I approach people, they just run away or tell me to go away.”

“Oh.”

“You’re the only one I’ve actually talked to.” Sunset looked down.

Book Worm looked at the crestfallen Sunset. He rubbed his temples for a few seconds then looked at Sunset again.

“Take a seat.” Book Worm gestured then sighed again, to which Sunset obliged as she sat across him.

“I don’t know if you’re doing this for the sake of Twilight’s approval or you’re genuinely sorry but I can’t forgive you what you’ve done to me and my friends.”

“Why not?” Sunset looked at Book Worm in disbelief.

“If you don’t remember what things you’ve done to me, then it must’ve been nothing to you. And now you’re crumbling in guilt that you’ve done horrible things to everyone at this very school. Things you didn't even bother to remember. Now you’re trying to alleviate your burden by saying sorry but you don’t even know why.”

“I still don’t get your point.” Sunset raised an eyebrow.

“My point is that you can’t say sorry to a person without knowing why.”

“Why didn’t you just say that?”

“I don’t know. ”

Sunset looked at Book Worm incredulously.

“So you’re saying I can’t just go around saying I’m sorry without knowing why?” Sunset folded her arms.

“Eeyup.”

“Then how are people gonna know I've changed?!” Sunset yelled, raising her arms.

“They don’t.”

“What?!”

“They don’t.” Book Worm rested his chin on his hand as he laid his elbow on the table. “Look, if you really want change, then you have to do something else than just apologizing.”

“Isn’t apologizing doing something?”

Book Worm raised an eyebrow at her statement.

“Right. Have to know basis with apologizing.”

“You really don’t remember what you did to me, don’t you?” Book Worm leered.

“No…?”

“Wow,” Book Worm said sarcastically.

“Hey, there are dozens of students in this school and I can’t remember everything I’ve done to them, okay?!”

“Which is probably for the best because if you did remember that, that’ll be really depressing for you.”

“Huh. I guess you’re right.” Sunset agreed. “But I still want to apologize for what I did!”

“Well you won’t get it from me,” Book Worm stated.

“Why?”

“How many times do I have to tell you?”

“Can’t you just tell me what I did to you?”

“You don’t want to know.”

“Are you really that petty? Just tell me already!” Sunset slammed her hands onto the table.

“Hey, I said I can’t forgive you. But that doesn’t mean I’m not giving you a second chance.”

“Huh?” Sunset tilted her head.

“You’ve done horrendous things, not just to me but to almost everyone in this school. I don’t think I have it in me to say it’s all fine because it’s not. Sure, that might sound petty to you, but you don’t get to decide if you’re forgiven or not. So no, I hate what you’ve done to me and to everyone else. And yet here I am, still talking to you because obviously you’re different from the girl who shoves kids into lockers that you were. You wanna know why I’m talking to you? Because I’m giving you a chance.”

Sunset stared at Book Worm in disbelief for a second then shook her head.

“Wow, that’s quite mature of you.”

“I’m just making a fair point.”

“Huh. You know what, you’re right. I can apologize all I want but that won’t get me the second chance you’re giving me. I have to earn it. If I can show them that I’ve changed, then I’ll be better off.” Sunset then let out a breath of relief. “Thanks for telling me that.”

“Sure, I guess.”

“I’d even say you made my day better.” Sunset smiled.

“Now that’s something I don’t do everyday.” Book Worm returned the gesture.

“I’ll remember what you told me.” Sunset stood up from her seat. “I’m gonna go now. This has been pleasant, uh...”

“Book Worm. It’s Book Worm.”

“Thanks a lot, Book.” And with that, Sunset hurriedly walked away then turned around. “You’re a pretty cool guy, you know that?!”

After that, Book Worm was alone at last. And now back to my book. Book Worm opened his book to where he was. As he started to read the sentence, the lights in the library dimmed, signifying the library closing down. .

“Are you serious?”

Cue the ending music.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment