• Published 9th Aug 2017
  • 3,459 Views, 58 Comments

Spring Break - pabrony



Sunny and Twi head out for a semi-private vacation during spring break.

  • ...
10
 58
 3,459

More Emotions

"Do you think the soundproofing spell worked last night, Sunny?" Twi whispered softly in my ear as I blinked to adjust to the sunlight coming through the window.

"I hope so," I said, nuzzling her cheek. "If not, we'll hear about it at the breakfast table."

Twi rolled her eyes and let out a groan at my bad pun as I tried not to laugh.

"What's on the agenda today?" she asked a minute later.

I rubbed the back of my head, pretending not to know what was going on. When in all actuality, it was the day I had been putting off seemingly forever. My meeting with Princess Celestia.

"I'm, uh, I'm not entirely sure, Twi," I blatantly lied. "We're going to have to check the, uh, itinerary to find out."

"Uh-huh," said Twi, obviously not believing me. "If I remember correctly, today's the day Princess Twilight arranged a meeting for you and Princess Celestia."

"Do I have to?" I whined.

"Yes!" said Twi, doing her best impression of Fluttershy's 'stare'. "And it has to be today. No stalling."

"But I'm still sleepy from last night's activities. I'm going to go back to sleep for, I don't know, four more days," I said as I rolled over and pulled the covers tight.

"Sunset Shimmer! Get your, um, flank out of bed this instant. You are going to the castle today after breakfast and that's final."

"Yes, mom," I said sarcastically from under the covers.

The next thing I knew, the covers were being removed from my body and when I looked at Twi, she had the sheets in her teeth accompanied by a smile as big as her face would allow. I stood up on the bed, shifted my weight to my back legs before springing forward toward my lavender girlfriend.

"You missed!" she teased as I landed on the floor with a thud. "I'm up here."

I stood up and launched myself at her a second time and again missing the mark. We chased each other around the bedroom for at least five minutes, if not more. We were laughing, hollering, jumping on and off the bed like we were little fillies. That is until Dawnie opened the door and saw us goofing around. She took off running down the hallway and then down the stairs.

"Mom! Dad! Shimmy and her girlfriend are jumping on the bed!" I heard her shout.

Me and Twi stopped fooling around for a moment to stare at each other while we waited for my parents' response. Twi was on the verge of splitting open with laughter while I was quasi-worried about what my parents were going to do. I didn't have to wait long though because I heard my dad call me by my full name.

I slowly walked out the door with a snickering, bespectacled mare behind me.

"What? They're not going to yell at you," Twi said, trying to keep me levelheaded. "You're a grown adult-"

"Mare," I corrected as I started down the stairs.

"Okay, grown mare. There's nothing you need to be worried about."

"You don't know my parents when it came the Dawn tattling on me," I pouted.

"I still think you're-" Twi abruptly stopped as we saw the look on my parents face.

My parents had the look all parents have on their face when their kids screw up. The only thing I could think to do was flatten my ears against my skull, lower my head and stare at the floor.

"Young filly, you are... pffft... ha ha ha!" Neither one of them could keep a straight face after seeing my reaction and fell to the floor, laughing their flanks off.

"See? You were overreacting," Twi said as she hid her smile behind her hoof.

"You're not going to yell at her?" Dawnie asked in protest. "That's not fair! The instant you hear me jumping on the bed, I get yelled at but Shimmy and SciTwi are allowed to do the same thing?"

Dawnie then stormed off to her room and slammed the door. Mom and dad began laughing harder after that with me and Twi joining them. Moments later we all heard the unmistakable sound of a filly jumping on the bed. The fact that they were laughing at me and Dawnie's reactions to the situation, I don't think my parents cared at that particular time.

"Oh brother," dad said after we calmed down. "The look on your face was priceless. You looked like a little filly that broke a vase."

"Oh haha," I said to them before turning my attention to Twi. "This was a pretty elaborate prank you pulled off."

"I swear I had nothing to do with it," Twi insisted. "There's no way I could've pulled this off anywhere near this great. But it was hilarious."

I just rolled my eyes while mom called Dawnie down to breakfast.

"Have you ever had hay pancakes?" mom asked Twi.

"Can't say that I have but I'll give them a try," Twi replied.


Twi moaned as she walked beside me down the sidewalk after the carriage arrived to take us to the castle. I took the time to get a laugh in at her expense in retaliation for all the laughing at me that she had done in the last couple days.

"Oh shut up," she grumbled. "I didn't realize how good hay tastes in this body."

"I told you to pace yourself," I said, still snickering.

"But... oh never mind," she said as the coachpony opened the door to the carriage for us.

I felt something snap inside me as soon as we sat down. My mood went from silly to terrified in an instant. I knew why I suddenly became a nervous wreck. It was because I've had been having the same dream every night about Celestia banishing me from Equestria after our meeting.

"Hello? Sunny? Anypony home in there?" I heard Twi say suddenly. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah... I'm, well, no. I'm not okay," I said nervously. "I'm terrified."

"Why? Everything's going to be fine," Twi said as she nuzzled my cheek. "You'll see."

"What if she does banish me though? How will I be able to see my family again?"

"I don't think she'll banish you. However, if she would, I'm sure she would work out something so that you can see your family."

"Thanks, Twi," I said as tears began forming in my eyes.

"Do me a favor, please."

"What do you want me to do?"

"Save your tears for Celestia. I have a feeling you're going to need them."


I nervously made my way through the main corridor of Canterlot Castle with Twi at my side. As we drew nearer to the royal chambers, I felt my legs lock up in a fit of panic. I wanted to clear the air with the princess but I was just so terrified of what she would say.

"Let's... go... Sunny," Twi grunted as she pushed me forward against my will. "You... promised... that... you'd... do... this... today."

"I know," I said weakly. "I'm just... afraid."

Twi stopped pushing and walked around to face me eye-to-eye.

"There is nothing to be afraid of. If what Princess Twilight told you is true, Princess Celestia has been worried sick about you," Twi said softly. "Remember, I'll be right outside the chambers waiting for you."

I looked into her eyes and saw a confidence that I was lacking. My body relaxed and I gave Twi a hug; thanking her for her support. I sat down in front of the chamber doors and took a few deep breaths.

Everything will be okay. There is nothing to worry about. You can do this, I told myself right before surrounding the door handle with a teal aura and pulling it open.

I slowly peeked inside the chambers and saw Princess Celestia on the center throne and a second alicorn, who I had assumed was Princess Luna at the time, seated to her right. The two of them were discussing something but it was quiet enough that I couldn't make out what they were talking about.

"Lieutenant, can you please escort the next petitioner into the chamber, please?" I heard Celestia say.

"Yes, ma'am," the guard said before approaching me. "Follow me please, miss," he told me.

I stared at the floor as I slowly followed him to the throne.

"I shall leave this one to you alone, sister," Luna said before walking past me toward the doors.

I heard the hoofsteps approach from the throne and saw a shadow cover my body. I couldn't tell if it was from fear, shame, regret or some combination of the three, but my legs completely gave out from beneath me. Once I hit the floor, I covered my head with my forelegs.

"Sunset," Celestia whispered. "There is no reason to be afraid of me."

"I... I'm so sorry," I whispered back. "I... I failed to apply what you tried to teach me."

I could feel her lay down next to me and drape a wing across my back.

"My dear Sunset. You have not failed. I have heard of your accomplishments from Princess Twilight. I am proud of you. If anything, I should be apologizing to you."

"To me? W-why?" I asked, raising my head to reveal a pair of tear streaks on my cheeks. "What have you done to me?"

"By showing you the crystal mirror, I was responsible for you fleeing Equestria. I did not ask Twilight to bring you home the first time she went to the human world. Because of that, I am responsible for these scars on your forelegs. Sunset, I am sorry for what you had to go through. I hope that you can forgive me," Celestia said as she did her best to keep her composure.

"I forgive you," I whimpered as I buried my face in her pristine white fur. "Do you forgive me?"

"I've always forgiven you, Sunset," Celestia said as her voice began to waver. "No matter how angry you had made me, no matter who was to blame, I have always forgiven you in the end."

"Thank you... *sniff* ...so much. I... I love you, Princess," I cried.

There were no words spoken between us for about five minutes or so as I was held tightly against my former mentor, both of us crying. The fear that had been building up over the last two weeks melted away into love as the rivers from my eyes continued to flow.

Celestia was the first to break the silence between us. "Why were you so afraid that I would banish you from Equestria? This is your home."

"I... *sniff* ...I figured that as angry as... *sniff* ...you were when I jumped through... *sniff* ...the mirror that you..."

"Shhh. Yes, I was angry. We both were. The events that transpired four years ago were fueled by a lot of negative emotions. Things were said by both of us that shouldn't have been said."

"I deserve to stand beside you as your equal if not your better. Make me a princess NOW!"

"This is the biggest mistake you'll ever make."

Two of the last things I had said to her prior to making my through mirror began echoing in my head. I felt the pain of those words stinging me in the heart as she continued to hold me tight.

"Sunset, there is something else I would like to discuss with you," said Celestia as she gently lifted my chin so that I could look into her own tear-filled eyes.

Author's Note:

What does Celestia want to talk to Sunset about? How is Twi holding up outside the chambers? Did Dawn get in trouble for jumping on the bed while everyone else was laughing their butts off? Find out in the next chapter of SciTwi Shimmer-Book 7: Break Time.