• Published 14th Jul 2012
  • 9,545 Views, 598 Comments

Harmony's Warriors: Iron Mare (Revised Version) - Avenging-Hobbits



CURRENTLY BEING REWRITTEN: Rarity is Tony Stark, first in my lead series to The Avengers

  • ...
22
 598
 9,545

Act III - 16 - Mother Means Comfort?

Act III:
“Crossing Paths”

Chapter Sixteen:
“Mother Means Comfort?”

Both Rarity and Sweetie sat hunkered over a detached limb of the suit, Rarity busily soldering soldering away at a mineralized missile delivery system. Sweetie watched wide eyed, occasionally passing Rarity whichever tool she needed. She’d never been this close to a missile in her entire life.

“So you’re gonna use this to fight bad guys?” she asked, looking at Rarity with a raised eyebrow. Rarity nodded absent mindedly

“Yes, obviously. Also in case I ever end up on the receiving end of an attack. Wouldn’t want to be outgunned right?”

Sweetie shrugged slightly, rubbing her foreleg. “I guess…”

Rarity paused, glancing at Sweetie with a raised eyebrow. “What’s wrong? You’ve been quiet lately. Usually you don’t stop talking.”

Sweetie shrugged, shifting in her seat slightly. “Well, it’s nothing really. Guess I’m just a bit surprised you’ve got so many weapons in this thing.”

Rarity smirked. “Well, I am the founder of a weapons manufacturer. Makes sense I’d eventually try to actually use what I manufacturer right?” her smirk faded, however, as she saw that Sweetie still seemed uneasy. She put the soldering tool down, lifting up her reading glasses to get a better look at Sweetie. "Sweetie… what's worrying you?"

Sweetie let out a quiet huff, her hoof idly playing with a small screw driver.

"Its just… you seem -I don't know- over eager I suppose. I mean, these missiles hurt ponies right? Like, that's bad right?" She glanced at Rarity. "And you said you didn't want to hurt ponies anymore. So why give your suit guns and missiles and stuff?"

Rarity blinked, biting her lip slightly. "I see..." She said slowly, leaning back in her seat slightly. "I can see what is worrying you, and mind you, it is a valid worry. But if you're fearing I'm about to go axe-crazy and try to just indiscriminately attack ponies, you have no need to worry. I have a very exact set of targets in mind, and suffice to say they are ponies who have done terrible, terrible things. And they’re most likely not going to hesitate from hurting me, if not worse. Hence,” she motioned towards the missile. “My rather… intensive armaments. Understand?”

Sweetie tentatively nodded. “I guess. Maybe I’m worried about you being safe or something, I don’t know.”

Rarity simply put a hoof on Sweetie’s shoulder. “No worries. I’ll stay safe.” She then motioned to the limb. “Come now, let’s get this nice and assembled.”

Sweetie nodded slightly, picking up her goggles and a soldering torch.

////////////////////////////////////

Pearl sat quietly in her office. In front of her, waiting for her skilled hoof, was her drawing board. She quietly looked down at the large sheet of blank white drafting paper, unsure of what to do. She had been unable to muster the slightest bit of creativity or inspiration. Instead, she was consumed with a constant, cloying sense of guilt and frustration. Instead of art, all she’d managed to create were several dozen (if not hundred) crumpled up pieces of paper, overflowing from the waste bin and scattered around the floor.

As was standard whenever she felt the desire or need to create, the door was locked, keeping her sealed off from the chaotic world outside. Usually this meant that she could work in peace, separated from the noise of life. But now, the silence was deafening. The tick-tock of the clock on the wall was ringing through the room, making her keenly aware of the passage of time.

She let out a grumble, rubbing her face with her hooves. Why can’t I create? she mentally groaned, standing up and trotting over to the window. Peering outside, she could see the busy streets of Canterlot with ponies going about their day. Every so often, a mare and their children would pass by, happy in their idyllic and bliss filled lives.

What a sharp contrast to mine, Pearl found herself thinking, eying the happy look on the mother and daughter’s faces as they passed. It had been several days since she last communicated with her own daughters, and that conversation had been dominated by bitterness, with Rarity’s thin, tired looking body providing a piercing visual counterpoint.

Pearl closed her eyes, letting her shoulders sag and her head hang down as she turned away from the window. “Why does it have to be this way?” she asked quietly, shaking her head. Guilt had already begun to well up inside of her. Perhaps she had been too quick to judge her daughter’s actions. Too quick to dismiss them as the over-dramatic consternations of an immature mare who refused to grow as a pony, instead content to forcefully tie herself down to her machines, gizmos and grease. But that had obviously not been the case. Rarity was obviously in less than stellar health.

Pearl let out a sigh, sitting down again on her bed. She’s obviously under duress… obviously had a traumatic experience, Pearl; there’s no use denying that any longer. Perhaps you were too blunt. She rolled onto her side idly, looking towards her drawing board. But she obviously needs to get out of that laboratory, out among the fresh Canterlot air. It can’t be good to be trapped among those tools and weapons. Perhaps you should apologize, make amends instead digging the ditch deeper? A lunch perhaps? Yes… that might work. Get her some fresh air… be among happy, friendly ponies. Much better than her locked away in her dungeon like basement fiddling with her tools.

Pearl sat up, the plan loosely forming in her mind as she walked back to the drawing table, picking up the cell phone. She quickly dialed the number, lifting it to her ear. There was a pause as the other line rang for a moment.

Why did you call me?” came Rarity’s unexpectedly terse response, causing Pearl to flinch ever so slightly. She quickly steeled herself however, clearing her throat slightly before answering her characteristically calm and contained demeanor.

“I called because I wish to have lunch with you, Rarity.” She waited for Rarity’s response, which was precluded by a slightly confused sound.

What? What do you mean ‘have lunch’?

Pearl exhaled a tad sharper than she intended. “I mean exactly what I said, Rarity. I wish to take you out to lunch… perhaps even have a mature, adult conversation with you.”

Why?

“Because--” Pearl hesitated, looking down at the ground. “--Because I simply feel like discussing some--” she paused, choosing her next words carefully. “--personal matters with you is all. And I’d wish to do it in a nice, open place, rather than in a stuffy office.”

There was a long pause on the other end, and Pearl found herself feeling more tense than she thought she would. She did honestly wish to discuss personal manners. Rarity’s unforgiving voice had wounded her unexpectedly. She hadn’t really seen how distasteful their relationship was until just a few days ago. Competition between parents and child was, in her opinion, necessary and helpful to drive the offspring out into the world and provoke them to achieve great things. Some antagonism was inevitable, a sacrifice a mother had to be willing to make, after all a mother was a mother not for her own enjoyment, but to further her children.

But hate? That was a determinant, it made ponies stupid and petty. It narrowed vision and derailed focus. Ambition was doomed to remain small as long as a pony’s mind was consumed over a single hurt.

And that her own daughters could openly hate her…

I suppose I can spare a few hours.” Rarity’s voice snapped Pearl back to reality. Pearl raised her eyebrows.

“Splendid. I’ll meet you at Chez Magnifique.”

I suppose,” came Rarity’s pointed response. “Goodbye.

She hung up and Pearl placed the phone back down on her desk quietly.

////////////////////////////////////

Rarity stepped out of the car, peering over her lowered sunglasses to get a better view of the coffee shop. She had chosen the glasses and a scarf to wrap around her head in hopes that nopony would recognize her. Last thing she needed was paparazzi pouring down on her like some sort of apocalyptic swarm. On top of that, it was true that she had lost some noticeable amount of weight, which would probably only provoke even more wild rumors about her health.

Hell, Mom could hardly believe how I looked… Rarity thought just as she spotted Pearl seated at one of the outdoor tables.

Rarity sighed and slammed her car door. She had been regretted agreeing to see her mother from the second she hung up the phone and had even considered calling it off, but she could only sigh in exasperation at the thought of how Pearl would make her pay for such a breach in courtesy. Most likely with snide comments in their every meeting afterwards and badgering her about every subject but what she was angry about and probably complaining about it to Magnum until he was driven to beg Rarity to make amends. Because it was always her fault, she was the mean, ungrateful daughter cruelly mistreating her hardworking, sacrificing mama.

Pearl didn’t look up until Rarity pulled the chair opposite of her out from under the table to sit and then she seemed to flinch as if she hadn’t expected it.

“Hello Rarity,” she said, setting down the mug she had been sipping. Even from across the table Rarity’s nose wrinkled at the pungent smell; black, no cream, no sugar, the same way Pearl had been drinking her coffee since Rarity could recall.

Rarity remembered as a filly she once took a gulp of Pearl’s morning coffee and spent three minutes coughing and gagging in the most melodramatic fashion at the bitter mouthful. Magnum had thought it was hilarious and laughed so hard he cried, which Pearl had pointed irritably it was only encouraging her “sensationalist nature”.

Magnum had brushed her off, saying jokingly: “She’ll make a fine actress someday!

Yes, she’ll make a wonderful inane parrot of cleverer pony’s words. Glorious future there,” Pearl had intoned dryly.

“Rarity?” Pearl’s sharp tone brought Rarity out of her thoughts. “I asked how are you feeling today?”

“Fine,” Rarity said curtly, moving to rub her forehead slightly.

Pearl raised an eyebrow slightly. “Fine, as in better than you were originally or the same?”

“I don’t know, better I suppose,” Rarity replied with a shrug, shifting in her seat.

“What has the doctor given you, pills, a diet?” Pearl asked, the vague concern standing out on her face.

Rarity let out a slight huff. “Yeah, those.”

“Having you been following his prescriptions?” Pearl pressed, causing Rarity to exhale sharply.

“Yes, Mother, I had been obeying the doctor’s orders, is that what you called me here to ask?” Rarity exclaimed sharply, causing a few ponies to glance in their direction.

Pearl pressed her mouth in a thin line, her violently red lipstick reminded Rarity of a bloody knife blade. Rarity braced herself for the impending terse reply and the following argument… this was all so exhausting, she knew she shouldn’t have come...

“I apologize.”

Rarity did a doubletake. “What?”

“I said--” Pearl began, sharply, but then hesitated and continued in a softer voice, “I’m sorry. I was just… concerned.”

Rarity blinked, leaning back in her chair slightly. “Oh. Well, I’m fine really. I mean I’m tired a lot and a little sore and can’t stop eating, my figure will be shot after all this is what I’m saying...” Rarity waited for a scoff or a roll of the eyes--the usual Pearl reaction to her humor. But instead, Pearl looked stricken.

“Mom…?”

“I just… I can’t believe…” Pearl covered her mouth with her hoof and started blinking rapidly as if she were trying to stave off tears.

Rarity felt something akin to panic, a tight compression pinpointed in the very center of her chest. The situation felt suddenly as if it were spinning out of control, she was so used to being able to predict her mother’s tedious antagonism that now she realized she had no idea what to say to her mother outside of a veiled fuck you.

“Mom why don’t you have a sip of your coffee?” Rarity said awkwardly.

Pearl made a strange noise as if she were choking down something. Rarity realized her heart was racing. Was Pearl really going to cry, in public, in front of half a dozen ponies? Was she going to do that quiet crying like in movies or become hysterical?

“Mom, do you want me to call Dad?” Rarity asked, her voice becoming strident with anxiety. Why was nothing she said working?

Pearl held up her other hoof, signaling Rarity to stop. She shut her eyes and took a deep breath, picking up her handkerchief to dab the edges of her eyes, smudging her eyeliner. She picked up her mug is shaky hooves and took a swig like she was downing vodka shots.

“I’m going to call Dad,” Rarity said, unable to think of anything else to say or do, other than to make a break for her car.

“No. I don’t want you to call Magnum,” Pearl said, setting her mug down with a sharp clink. Now her voice regained her accustomed firmness and Rarity felt slightly reassured.

Pearl straightened herself in her chair and ran her hoof over perfectly permed mane. Since her sudden… malfunction, she hadn’t looked at Rarity but now she lifted her face and stared directly into her daughter’s eyes. Pearl’s eyes were swelled and tinted red from suppressed tears and her smeared eyeliner gave them a hollow look, almost ghoulish. Rarity now wasn’t sure what was worse; her mother having a breakdown in a public place or her staring into her very soul with a sudden macabre stare.

“When you are a mother, your entire life is a series of increasingly steeper sacrifices. First it’s your body, then it’s your time, your emotions, your resources… all these things that before seemed so vital to your existence you just let slip through your hooves without a second thought. Because now you realize all of that energy you focused into maintaining or attaining those things must be redirected into this superseding project: the promotion of this life that has been placed in your management, this living thing that will either fail or thrive depending on your ministrations.

But the harder I hammered, the more I realized you were like a liquid, I couldn’t form you into any solid shape and every time I tried to hedge you in your found a way to slip out through any crack. And it made me so angry, to see all this potential wasted on your lifestyle, when you could have built such amazing and lasting things…

And I couldn’t understand how you couldn’t see that, why you kept casting me in the role of the villain when I was only trying to motivate you forward, and it just made me want to shake you until I got it through your head. But I couldn’t so I just kept sniping at you. Then I saw you that day, looking like the dead.”

Pearl fell silent and the expression in her eyes seemed haze, as if she were drifting away in thought.

“I realized again for the first time since you were a baby, how fragile you were. I only saw your potential strengths and the aptitude of your talents, I completely forgot you were still my child, not a business that I could burn and build back up over and over until it took. And that if you had been taken from me… I couldn’t buy you back or find a replacement or write out your design and rebuild something in your imprint. You would be lost to me forever. I’d die if you were taken from me, Rarity. I’d die. I never told you that, how much your life meant to me, what I would lose if you were suddenly gone.

I never let you know what I wanted from you, I expected you to turn into this tower of prestige without ever showing you a game plan, because I kept looking ahead at what I thought you should be instead of what you were right now. Your childhood, your adolescence, I missed it all because I wanted you to be all grown up and great right now without having to sit through and work on the process. Along the way I overlooked all the little accomplishments you made, your first words, first steps, first school day. All of those little moments, they would have been enough. I have never seen anything like motherhood, that you could pour in so much into and get back so much more in the smallest ways. If it were ever turned into any form of resource it would be the end of every other investment that ever was or ever will be.”

Rarity stared at her mother, utterly speechless. Pearl reached over and laid her hoof over Rarity’s.

“Whatever you do Rarity, however small or great, as long as you put your conviction into it will be greater than what I could ever dream for you. If I never did anything else to benefit you, I hope at least I made you a world that you could put into and take back more than you gave.”

Pearl released Rarity’s hoof and abruptly stood.

“Tell Sweetie Belle I said hello. I’ll tell your father you look better. Get rest and do what the doctor says. Good afternoon.”

And with those quick words she turned and disappeared around the corner of the coffee shop, leaving Rarity alone with only the half-emptied coffee mug in front of her.

////////////////////////////////////

--It’s in the trees! It’s coming--

--Are you tired, run down, listless--

--Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn--

--Surprise motherfucker--

--You want to talk to your gods? I will send you to them--

--I can’t figure out if you’re a detective or a pervert--

--Girl, why you ackin’ so cray cray?!--

Rarity slouched on her couch, flipping through the channels over and over again. The strange scenario from early that day still clung to her mind like a spider web. Her mother had never before shown such an extreme amount of emotion. Or looked so fragile.

For Rarity’s entire life, her mother had been some stoic, almost robotic pony. Everything was business with her mother, never time for play. A small part of Rarity, one she rarely if ever acknowledged to others, admired her mother, if only out of some sort of strange bile fascination. To be able to be so completely unaffected by the world around you, to have your personal feelings remain your own, and not be privy to anyone else, was both amazing and abhorrent. Rarity was always loud, effusive and above all, emotive. Pearl was always quiet, repulsive and reserved.

To have the roles reversed, if only for a few moments, was a strange, uncomfortable experience for Rarity. She’d never wanted to see her mother have an emotional meltdown. She simply wanted her mother to understand her. So why was she having so much trouble understanding her mother’s words.

How can you care so much for me yet close me off like that? She asked internally, rubbing her temple in frustration.

“Rarity… Rarity, you’re muttering to yourself.”

Sweetie’s voice caused Rarity’s eyes to slide towards the younger filly, who had been sitting across from Rarity for the past several minutes, obviously concerned. Rarity gave Sweetie a shrug.

“Sorry, just... I’m just thinking out loud, that’s all.”

“About what?” Sweetie asked, tilting her head slightly. “Was it the lunch you had with mom?”

Rarity shifted in her place slightly, scrunching up her nose slightly. “Yeah.”

Sweetie briefly glanced at the still quickly changing channels and then back at Rarity. “How bad was it?”

Rarity huffed. “We talked. She tried to apologize.” She lowered her eyebrows at the last word, it’s tone far more venomous than she probably intended.

“Apologize?”

Rarity let out an agreeing scoff. “Yeah. She got all… emotional about it…” She looked over to Sweetie. “She ever do that with you?”

Sweetie simply shook her head. “No. Not that I can remember.”

Rarity out a slight grumble. “Thought as much.” She crossed her forelegs, her horn taking over switching channels. “Is there nothing on?” she groaned.

Sweetie shrugged. “I don’t know. You’re changing them kinda fast.”

Rarity briefly considered responding, but instead slowed down her button smashing. She was now currently neck deep in the bevy of news channels, with most reports concerning either her own recent return and its ramifications, the general economy, cats swatting at paper, a terrorist attack on a small village in Ishval, chile with a griffin claw inside it--

“Wait what?” Rarity clicked back to the news station with the Ishvalan report to see what seemed to be rather shaky camcorder footage of what seemed to be a small village under attack. An eclectic mix of creatures, mostly consisting of diamond dogs and griffins, ran too and fro, shouting, barking or squawking in their native tongues, exchanging gunfire wildly. Every so often, there would be a large explosion on the screen, causing smoke to fill the camcorder’s screen.

Rarity was silent, the images causing memories of the attack that caused her capture vividly playing in her mind. The reporter relaying the information spoke in an understated, precise manner, which only seemed to make the wildly chaotic imagery on screen seem all the more violent.

...It seems that the Ten Rings, a terrorist group most known for their drug trafficking and the recent kidnapping and detaining of Equestrian technological mogul Rarity Belle, have put the Belle ransom payment, a sum of some $45 million bits, to use in procuring a large amount of advanced weaponry. Captured weapon stocks have shown the weapons are from Belle Tech, most likely stolen from transport vessels or vehicles. BelleTech officials refuse to comment further on this event…

“Rarity, are you okay?” Sweetie Belle asked, gently prodding Rarity with a hoof. Rarity felt a cloying, heavy feeling begin to pool in the pit of her stomach, spreading through her like old motor oil. It made her chest feel empty, like someone had carved out a hole in her heart.

“This is my fault…” she muttered, her hooves curling inwards unconsciously. Sweetie Belle looked back at the television.

“What do you mean? How is that your fault?”

Rarity pointed a hoof sharply at the screen. “Look! They’re doing that with the money they got from my kidnapping.” She practically bolted off the couch, standing on her hooves. “I can’t just sit around and watch…” she motioned to the television screen. “THIS.” She spun on her hooves to face Sweetie. “I promised Kili that I'd use this second chance to make a difference, not to waste it. And what better way to make a difference then by avenging my fallen friend." She started out of the room, turning down the hallway.

"Ready the suit!”

Sweetie was quick to follow after Rarity, trying her best to keep up. “Really? You’re gonna go over there?”

Rarity nodded. “Yes. Yes I am. Mother may think I'm wasting my life, but I think its time for me to make good on my promise.”

Author's Note:

What's that? You don't listen to Kate Bush and so you don't understand the chapter name?

Well...okay then. Moving on...

Yeah this chapter took awhile.

Anyways, yeah, my sister, Phoenix Avalon, script doctor of the ages, helped write the scene with Rarity and Pearl. So give her a round of applause. Yes I know I'm technically dodging out by not having them patch everything up, but the door is open, so it's up to Rarity to take the first step.

Anyways, asides from that, this is a rather straightforward chapter, so why keep talking?