• Published 14th Jul 2012
  • 9,545 Views, 598 Comments

Harmony's Warriors: Iron Mare (Revised Version) - Avenging-Hobbits



CURRENTLY BEING REWRITTEN: Rarity is Tony Stark, first in my lead series to The Avengers

  • ...
22
 598
 9,545

Act II - 12 - Shall I Creep or Shall I Fly?

Act II:
“Who Are You”

Chapter Twelve:
"Shall I Creep or Shall I Fly?"

Rarity and Sweetie Belle walked down the hall and into the dining room, and Sweetie Belle sat down at the table, having not spoken a single word since Pearl had left. Rarity gave Sweetie Belle a thin smile, not exactly accustomed to this situation. Normally, Rarity would be more likely to ignore Sweetie Belle entirely, but Sweetie’s words had struck a chord in her.

“So, that was quite brave of you, Sweetie, standing up to Mother like that.” she said, her voice echoing in the empty dining room slightly as she walked into the kitchen to fish out a tub of ice cream. There was a pause as Rarity awaited a response, already in the process of scooping ice cream into a pair of cups. The only sound that reached her ears was the sound of someone crying.

“Sweetie?” Rarity called out, picking the cups up with her magic and walking into the dining room. She stopped, surprised at the sight of Sweetie shaking and silently crying at the table, her head in her hooves.

Rarity bit her lip. “Um...Sweetie Belle? Look, I brought ice cream,” she said quietly, gently sliding the cup of ice cream over to Sweetie Belle.

Sweetie didn’t respond, instead letting out a stifled sob. Rarity sat down next to her, looking around awkwardly. “Sweetie, what’s wrong?” she asked, doing her best to try and comfort the crying filly.

Sweetie said nothing, instead just scooting closer to Rarity and pulling her into a hug. Rarity didn’t quite know how to respond, not quite used to having Sweetie Belle show her such affection.

“Sweetie, please tell me, what’s wrong? Why are you crying?” Rarity asked, leaning in a little closer to Sweetie Belle.

Sweetie just tightened her hug more, before speaking in a quiet, trembling whisper. “Am I a bad pony Rarity?” she asked, her eyes glancing up at Rarity briefly. Rarity blinked.

“Um...what?” Rarity said, not quite understanding the question.

“I-I s-said, am I a bad p-pony? F-for yelling at Mo-mommy?” Sweetie Belle repeated, looking up at Rarity with tear filled, deeply worrisome eyes.

Rarity’s eyes widened slightly, and she bit her lip. For what felt like the hundredth time that day, she was at a lost for words. She personally had always enjoyed calling Pearl out, pointing out the older mare’s flaws and problems, and so a part of her was honestly, completely baffled by Sweetie’s current state. Where was the smugness, the feeling of triumph that one would expect by someone who had just humiliated and defeated the one who had always oppressed them? Instead, Sweetie acted as if she had just committed a horrible crime, and that she might be about to suffer judgement for it.

“I...um...well, no you’re not a bad pony. Not at all. Pearl was using you just like a puppet for her every whim. You fought back, expressed your desire for independence. I think that’s wonderful. You were incredibly brave for saying what you said.”

“B-But...Mommy probably hates me now. I don’t want Mommy to hate me! I just want her to think what I like is okay.” Sweetie Belle said, shaking her head. Rarity found herself gently pulling Sweetie Belle into a hug.

“So what if she hates you? It’s her loss, not yours. Just because she’s too foolish and stubborn to admit she’s wrong doesn’t make you wrong for standing up for yourself. Understand?” Rarity said, surprising even herself with her gentle tone. Sweetie Belle looked up at her.

“Re-really? You really think so?” she asked, and Rarity nodded.

“Yes. Of course. Anyways, it’s me who should feel terrible. I’ve treated you horribly all these years. Treated you as if you were nothing more than a nuisance, when, really...we’re more alike than I thought.” she sighed, looking down at the two cups of ice cream. “Care for some?” she asked, gently levitating one of the cups to Sweetie Belle. Sweetie silently took the cup, smiling slightly as she ate the ice cream.

Rarity mimicked Sweetie Belle, and the two quietly ate their respective cups of ice cream, neither really wanting to talk or speak. Rarity could hear hoofsteps, and turned to see Written Script standing in the doorway, his expression concerned.

Rarity smiled at him, before gently nudging Sweetie Belle. “Sweetie, look, I have to speak with Written Script, so how about you go to my room, and then maybe later, we can tinker with those tinkertoys or an erector set or something. How does that sound?”

Sweetie Belle nodded slightly, a thin smile on her now tired face. “Yeah that sounds nice. Thanks Rarity.” she then got out of the chair and walked towards the door, giving Written Script a smile and a nod, which he returned. As soon as Sweetie disappeared around the corner, Written started towards Rarity, taking the now vacated seat where Sweetie Belle was sitting.

“Hello Written,” she said, poking her melting ice cream with her spoon. “Would you care for some? It’s Sugar Cube Corner Cookies and Cream.” she said, holding the cup out towards Written Script, who shook his head slightly.

“No, that’s okay.” he paused, watching Rarity eat the ice cream quietly. “So what’s next for you and Sweetie? I mean, you seem awfully friendly with her all of a sudden.”

Rarity raised an eyebrow. “What are you implying, Written?” she asked, turning to look at him. Written shrugged.

“I just wonder if this is just a passing phase, or are you really just trying to spite your mom.”

Rarity blinked.

“Look, don’t get me wrong!” Written continued, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly. “I totally understand why you’d want to spite your mom. She’s terrible...but are you really going to pretend that you’re friends with Sweetie, just so you can stick it to your mother? Yesterday, you made a whole show about new beginnings and being the better pony, and I believe you really are sincere...but you can’t truly be a new pony if you treat those around you in the same ways you did before your life was changed.”

Rarity was about to make a comeback, but Written still had a point. She had made a whole show, told everyone she was going to change. But she had still treated Sweetie in the exact same way she always had. Stunting her, belittling her, making her feel useless.

Just like her mother had.

Rarity let out a sigh, rubbing the bridge of her nose. “Damn it Written...I guess that really would make me a hypocrite wouldn’t it?” she looked down at the table.

“So what do you want to do?” Written Script asked, and Rarity sighed.

“I suppose be the sister I always should have been. No reason not to right?”

“And the suit? What about that?” Written asked again, causing Rarity to shrug and laugh.

“Well, I’ve always been a multitasker. I see no reason why I can’t do both...” she trailed off, taking another scoop of ice cream. Written nodded slightly, before furrowing his brow slightly.

“And the company? Maybe I can go and keep an eye on things and make sure they don’t try to raise a stink? I mean, robotic battle suits aren’t exactly cost effective.” he said, and Rarity nodded.

“You’re right I suppose. If what you said is correct, then it’s very likely they’ll try to file an injunction against me. And, I’ve got a sneaking suspicion that Fancy isn’t exactly being forthright with me.” she said soberly.

“So you want me to check it out personally?” Written asked her.

“Well...yes. Yes I do. I mean, you’ve been with me since college, and I just really feel as if I should have somepony I know is one hundred percent trustworthy keeping an eye out for what’s going on there. And, honestly, I feel as if you’re that pony.” she answered somberly, looking at Written Script with hopeful eyes. She then sighed. “I mean, I can’t force you, obviously, and it’s probably a rather daunting task I’m asking of you...but I feel it must be done.”

Written Script’s expression was pensive for a long moment, before he began to nod his head slightly. “No, no I get it. I was probably going to have to go over there anyways, since we were going to have to explain the sudden disappearance of a couple million bits worth of technology to the bean counters.” he added with a chuckle. Rarity scoffed quietly, feeling that the current mood was becoming rather dour.

“Oh Written, you sell us short. I am a billionaire after all,” she laughed, smiling again. “I’m pretty sure I can afford most of what I need from my private funds,” she leaned back in her chair slightly, taking another bite out of the now liquified ice cream.

“Yeah I know, if it weren’t for me, you probably wouldn’t have half of those billions.” Written added with a wry smile causing the both of them to laugh lightly.

“But you are here, and that’s what’s important, Written.” she gave him a supportive tap on the shoulder. Written nodded.

“Thanks. That really does mean a lot, Rarity.” he then stood up, stretching slightly and letting out a sigh. “I guess I’d better go and get everything ready. Sure you don’t need anything else? Like, I don’t know, fresh coffee? New notebook? Something?”

Rarity shook her head. “No, I’ll be fine. Just go and get ready. Don’t let me keep you. I have to check on Sweetie Belle anyways and make sure she didn’t accidentally break something.”

Written smiled, “Well, for all we know she’s trying to build a better blender or something out of the parts of the television.” he added with a chuckle.

“Oh, Celestia forbid!” Rarity replied, shaking her head and giving Written a half-hug before Written turned and walked out, leaving Rarity sitting at the table quietly. With a slight shrug and a content sigh, she stood up, taking the cup over to the kitchen and plopping it in the sink before making her way back to her room, where she found Sweetie Belle, cuddled up on the bed, having fallen asleep watching some random anime on the television. Rarity couldn’t help but feel her heart warm at the sight of her sister sleeping quietly, and honestly began to feel a little bit tired herself. She hadn’t slept in almost two days, and knew that she’d need as much rest as she could get before attempting her master project.

“Might as well catch a few winks, eh Rarity?” she murmured to herself as she ambled over to the bed and took her place next to Sweetie Belle, pulling up the covers and letting out a content sigh as she drifted off into a peaceful sleep.

///////////////////////////////////

“This will be the laboratory where you will work,” Fancy Pants said, noncommittally motioning towards the various tarp-covered tables that Light Bright assumed had lab equipment.

“Now I know it’s rather bare bones, but, if you are correct and haven’t been lying to me, I know a brain with a caliber such as yours will be able to craft something. Am I right?” Fancy continued, catching Light Bright’s attention as he gave him a sharp prod on the shoulder. Light Bright nodded his head humbly and rubbed his shoulder.

“Um, yes, yes I can most definitely make something with this." He said, levitating a tarp slightly to take a peek at the equipment underneath. "Um, how soon do you want-" he paused, scrunching his brow slightly. “What is it that you want anyways, sir? If you don’t mind me asking.”

Fancy Pants halted, straightening up and turning towards Light Bright with raised eyebrows. “What do you mean ‘what do I want’?” he asked dryly, narrowing his eyes slightly.

Light Bright swallowed, rubbing the back of his neck and tugging on the collar of his labcoat slightly. “Um, well, I just find it odd that you’ve brought me all this way to this laboratory, but haven’t spoken a word about what exactly I’ll be tasked in, um, building--don’t get me wrong, I deeply, deeply appreciate the money and the employment, I really do. I just feel it might be best for me to know exactly what’s needed of me, so that way I can properly provide what you, um, well, need.” he finished with another dry swallow, his worry increasing slightly when Fancy’s expression remained identical to how it was before.

There was a painfully long pause between the pair, before Fancy Pants raised his eyebrow slightly and tilted his head slightly.

“Is it really that important to know?” he asked ambivalently, and Light Bright simply inhaled, bit his lip and shifted his hoof slightly. He heard Fancy let out a slightly ruffled sigh, and then speak.

“Well, I suppose you can’t be entirely faulted,” he said with vague displeasure. “After all, it’s best that I just get this out of the way now, and avoid any unnecessary trouble that might spawn from your current lack of information.” As he spoke, Light Bright noticed him levitating a manila folder out from under his overcoat, and placing it on a countertop. The taller unicorn motioned for Light Bright to come over.

Light Bright walked up without saying a word, instead focusing his attention on the manila folder. In simple, stamped red letters, where the words ‘Secret: Do Not Open Unless Given Express Permission’.

“What is this?” he asked, looking up at Fancy, who merely opened the folder without answering to reveal several dozen photographs, seemingly taken by paparazzi, of Rarity Belle herself. Sitting in her chest, and standing out like a sore thumb, was a large, noticeably glowing diamond. Light Bright’s eyes widened.

“Is that what I think it is?” he asked with shock, and Fancy Pants nodded slightly.

“Yes. Yes it is. It’s a diamond arc mana reactor. Only one of it’s kind. I assumed you knew about it, which is why I haven’t mentioned it so far.”

“Well, I-um-I heard rumors, but I don’t really watch the news all that often.”

This caused Fancy to raise an eyebrow. “Really? Well...that’s...unique.” he seemingly seemed to smile slightly before continuing. “Either way, that’s what I wish for you to recreate.”

Light Bright’s eyes widened. “You want me to craft a working diamond arc mana reactor of that size?! But that’s impossible!”

“Nonsense!” Fancy Pants countered, shaking his head. “We’ve built thousands, if not millions of such mana reactors--”

“No, no, you’re confusing the power gems you make for a mana reactor. The enchantments run on a totally different kind of spellwork. What your power gems work is due to them being specially enchanted to preserve and contain the energy produced in your central power--”

“Central power plants. yes, I know. I designed the infrastructure myself. I know perfectly well how it all works.”

“Then you should know full well that I can’t recreate this. I mean, what Ms. Belle made is basically a self sustaining energy device. It creates it’s own energy and reuses it, with apparently zero visible decrease in power. This requires a spell I don’t know.”

Fancy Pants groaned slightly. “So you’re telling me you're incapable of recreating it?” he rubbed the bridge of his nose in obvious frustration. Light Bright was quick to realize his fumble.

“Um, no, no I never said that! I just said I don’t know the spell as in I don’t know it off the top of my head.” he quickly answered. He couldn’t risk losing what was probably his only opportunity to ever make his laughing stock of a name respectable. Fancy Pants raised an eyebrow.

“So you can recreate it?”

Light Bright nodded resolutely. “Yes. Yes I can. It might take me some time, but I can rest assured that I can recreate this. I just need the materials and tools and the time.”

“Whatever tools you might possibly need are either here in this laboratory or can be provided for you at a moments notice. What materials will you need?” Fancy replied plainly. Light Bright looked down at the photograph, taking a moment to study a particularly clear photograph of Rarity closely.

“Well, a diamond, obviously,” he answered, squinting slightly as he noticed a purple-ish ring like structure surrounding the outer edge of the diamond. “Do you happen to know what that purple ring surrounding the diamond is?” he asked, turning towards Fancy, who looked down at the photograph for a moment.

“Evidence suggests it’s vibranium.” he answered, looking at Light Bright. Light Bright blinked in surprise.

“How do you know that?” He asked, and Fancy merely shifted his jaw slightly.

“I have connections,” He replied plainly. Light Bright could sense that Fancy didn’t wish to be probed any further, so Light Bright swallowed, looking back down at the photograph.

“Okay then...vibranium...that’s...rather expensive right? I mean, it’s not like you can go down to the local drug store and just pick up a couple of pounds.”

“I know that full well. I’ve already managed to acquire an acceptable amount for whatever you might need. Now, I wish the finished product as soon as possible.”

“Well...I think I can deliver it in a reasonable amount of time.” Light Bright answered humbly, still somewhat shocked that Fancy Pants had already managed to acquire something as rare and precious as vibranium.

“How much time are we speaking of? Because I have a client who wishes to have one such diamond arc mana reactor in their possession rather soon.” Fancy stated matter of factly. Light Bright’s resolute expression waivered slightly.

“Um...well, I estimate it will be about….. a month or so?” Light Bright said, biting his lower lip ever so slightly. Fancy’s expression soured.

“A month? That long?” he asked, lowering his eyebrows and voice and leaning forward to loom over Light Bright ever so slightly. Light Bright swallowed.

“Y-Yes, a month. An-and th-that’s being generous.” The smaller unicorn stammered, taking a step back slightly to avoid Fancy’s now withering gaze.

“Generous? I’d say that’d be rather wasteful of my resources. See, when I say ‘soon’, I really do mean soon. I don’t want any dilly-dallying or fiddling about with my resources.” Fancy Pants said, his voice slow and methodical.

Light Bright swallowed. “Well, how soon is ‘soon’ exactly. I can’t really see if I can meet your request if I don’t actually know your request - if you don’t mind me asking that is.”

“Two weeks.”

Fancy’s answer caused Light Bright’s eyes to nearly explode out of his skull. “T-Two weeks?! I can’t make a mana reactor from scratch in just two weeks! That’s impo-”

“Impossible? Well, that seems odd, considering Ms. Belle was seemingly perfectly capable of crafting one in one-quarter of that time. In a cave. With a box of scraps.” Fancy answered, his voice low and critical. Light Bright opened his mouth to protest, only to be met by Fancy raising a hoof.

“Now, now, don’t be rash. You really only have two options here. Option one is to stay here, in a place that allows you to tinker and work to your hearts content, with no fears about lack of funds or if your work will ever be published, all with the simple request that you follow a pre-determined schedule.” Fancy then started walking towards the exit, continuing to speak. “Option two on the other hoof, would consist of me taking this wonderful lab away from you, and, you’ll return to the pitiful collage laboratory where you came crawling out from. Do you understand? You can either be a somepony, and have everypony see the genius you hold, or you can remain a nopony, and simply be nothing more than a footnote. Your choice.” he opened the door to the lab and stepped asides, looking towards Light Bright impassively.

Light Bright didn’t say anything at first, instead focusing his mind on what Fancy Pants had said. To remain nothing, ignored by all his colleagues and fellow students? Or, should he take the chance at fame, cut a scene. Would he wait or would he fly? He lowered his eyebrows, swallowed and looked at Fancy with determination.

“Expect it next Thursday sir.” he stated simply.

Fancy Pants smiled. “Excellent. Simply excellent.”

Author's Note:

So yeah I totally did the 'cave and a box of scraps' bit twice.

I'm a maniac.

So, let's break it down 'eh?

In the case of Rarity and Written Script, their scene was originally going to have either a kiss on the lips or the cheek, but, alas, no matter how I looked at it, it ended up looking like I was just forcing them to kiss, instead of just letting it flow naturally. To be honest, the romance isn't the core of the story. It's Rarity and Sweetie Belle's sisterhood, which is, surprisingly, moving along at a pace faster then what I had imagined.

Hopefully not too fast though.

The dialogue between Written and Rarity also took awhile, since I wanted to avoid a double beat, since my reader's aren't goldfish, and can probably remember what was talked about and said last chapter (or at least the basics)

As for Fancy Pants and Light Bright, I think that scene came together rather smoothly. Hopefully, Fancy's knowledge about Rarity using vibranium isn't out of the blue (since he does communicate with Ahuizothl, so it's a case of implied knowledge)

And now for the chapter quote, which is, surprisingly, NOT a rock song, but rather a quote from John Adams:

Shall I look out for a cause to speak to, and exert all the soul and all the body I own, to cut a flash, strike amazement, to catch the vulgar; in short, shall I walk a lingering, heavy pace, or shall I take one bold determined leap into the midst of fame, cash, and business? That is the question—a bold push, a resolute attempt, a determined enterprise, or a slow, silent, imperceptible creeping; shall I creep or fly?

Which I think accurately sums up both Rarity and Light Bright's feelings as of now, albeit in different ways.

Rarity wishes to make herself a better pony, while Light Bright wishes to make a name for himself.

Hopefully it all works out.