• Published 30th Jul 2017
  • 1,590 Views, 210 Comments

Blood in the sand - Bronycommander



North Africa 1942. The Africa Corps is advancing, pushing the British forces back. For a German and Italian Private, there is more than just sand and dry winds.

  • ...
7
 210
 1,590

Chapter 4 Tears of a mother

Chapter 4: Tears of a Mother

“Mama! Help me!” Dinky’s voice ringed in Derpy’s ears.

“Mama’s coming!” Derpy wasn’t as fast as Rainbow Dash when flying but still fast when she had to be, as she followed the voice of Dinky into a desert and saw a burning camp in the distance.

The young unicorn lay in a puddle of her own blood, a knife rammed into her chest. “Please…make it stop…”

The grey Pegasus landed, carefully pulling the knife out, trying to stop the bleeding. Her heart had almost skipped a beat, seeing Dinky so hurt, afraid that she would die, wondering who would do something horrible to her.

“You’re gonna be alright, Dinky!” Derpy comforted her, trying to keep her daughter alive.

“I’m…getting cold…” the filly’s eyes struggled to stay open.

“The doctors will fix you up! Stay with me!” Tears leaved Derpy’s eyes.

“Tell Daddy…Sparkler…and Tootsie… I love them…” The unicorn’s body went limp.

The mature Pegasus looked at her hooves, covered in blood. “D-Dinky…NO!”

Derpy awoke with a gasp, cold sweat on her face, her breath rapidly.

“Derpy, did you have another nightmare?” Her husband Doctor Whooves asked. Since Dinky vanished, the Mailpony had nightmares and sleepless nights.

“Y-yes, I dreamed she…d-died…” Before she could say another word, her husband hugged her tightly.

“Shh my dear, calm down. You aren’t the only one who is worried about her, I’m too.” She spoke with a calming voice, not hiding his worry about his beloved daughter.

“I know it’s just… after all we went through, I don’t want to lose her.” She replied with tears in her eyes.

“Think positive, we made it through all this, we can make it through this too.” He gave her a convincing smile.

“You’re right.” She sniffed, returning the hug, before falling asleep again, sleeping much calmer.

In the next morning, Derpy made some muffins, Dinky always loved them, Derpy let out a sigh as it made her also sad.

“That smells delicious!” A young voice ringed in the Mare’s ears, it was Tootsie Flute, Sparkler’s and Dinky’s younger sister. She and Sparkler lived at the time together with Derpy and Whooves to give them emotional support and welcome Dinky back. They were also worried about her.

“Good morning, Tootsie. How’s Sparkler?” The brown Earth Pony asked as she joined for breakfast. Tootsie slept in Dinky’s room, Sparkler in the guest room.

“She’s not feeling well.” Her expression was one of sadness.

“This is my Fault! I should have held it back! I don’t deserve to be a big sister! I’m the worst big sister ever!” They heard how the older unicorn blamed herself for this.

All three ponies didn’t like what they heard, so they trotted to the guest room.

The older unicorn had her head buried into the pillow, crying her heart out. “Sis, please…” Tootsie tried to say but her big sister cut her off.

“It is my FAULT! I should have turned away, or held it when I had to sneeze!” She exclaimed, looking at them with a tear filled face.

“Sparkler, listen, we don’t blame you, it was an accident, it wasn’t your fault. You and Tootsie are the best sisters Dinky could ask for.” Derpy spoke with an honest smile.

“Yes, Sparkler, you really are. Now, join us for breakfast, we need to eat something.” Whooves added.

“Yes, I should.”

While they breakfasted, the young unicorn asked, “Are you sure that Fletcher Fray will find her?”

That made the Doctor thinking. Fletcher Fray, a number of the Eternal Knights, the specialists of the Royal Guard, veterans of the Civil War, like the time lord was.

Back then, he and Fletcher were once enemies, so he was sceptic about it as he thought back when Luna suggested selecting him for this task.


As Dinky went missing, her family got called to Canterlot, after Sparkler had recovered.

A Guard leaded them to Princess Luna. They all bowed.

“Arise, my subjects. My condolences for what happened to Dinky.”

“Princess Luna, is there something you can do? I’m worried sick about my sweet daughter!” Derpy exclaimed concerned, “I'll search for her myself if I have too!” They all knew Luna had a plan as they got called here.

“I understand your concern, but we don't know where exactly she is, or how dangerous it could be. That's why I will send Fletcher Fray out for this task. He has experience in that field and can master almost anything.”

The green unicorn with a long blonde mane, and three arrows fired from a crescent moon as Cutie Mark walked into the room, Derpy looked at him with hope, Whooves with mistrust, Sparkler and Tootsie in awe as they saw his eyes. No pupils, they were completely light blue, fluctuating like water, making them wonder if he was even alive, or undead like a zombie.

He bowed respectfully. “Your highness.”

Now they also saw that he was carrying a bow on his back as he turned to them. “I promise you Ms. Hooves, I will get your daughter back safe and sound, you have my word. For me, it is not only a matter of honor, but also something very personal.” His voice was honest, determinated and promising, filling the Pegasus and the two unicorns with hope. It was also embossed by an accent that was lovely, smooth, and melodious. Doctor Whooves recognized it.

If he remembered correctly, Fletcher Fray was born in Farmany, an adjoining land to Equestria that existed at the time of the Civil War. And if his memory about humanity served him right, there was a country called Germany that was the human equivalent to Farmany.

Despite his mistrust, Doctor Whooves knew that Fletcher had a good heart and was the best choice for this task.

“Thank you for doing this.” Derpy was grateful as Luna and Fletcher leaded them to a large room, where they saw two ponies, both Earth ponies, chatting next to a blackboard with calculations on it.

“…If my calculations are correct, assumed by the trail the spell left, Dinky seems to be landed in a desert area.” The pony had a Trottingham accent, a bespectacled purple and white patch-patterned coat, a long messy mane of indigo and silver streaks and matching eyes, also wearing glasses. He also had freckles, hinting that he grow up in the country, a dark blue cloak with a rising golden sun, a symbol of graduation in the field of Pre-Alicorn Studies, a very obscure field of study at the Royal Canterlot Academy, concealed his Cutie Mark.

“I hope you are right, Patch, I don’t want that my relative lands in the wrong place.” The other pony had a green coat, blue eyes and a short blond mane, having a history book with the flag of Farmany, a black Alicorn, wings spread, with a golden mane on a yellow background with a red borderas as Cutie Mark, also having the same accent as Fletcher.

“Relax Wagensroll, I’ve got everything covered.” Patch assured him. “I also prepared suitable clothing.” He pointed to a table where a Bedouin-style cloak and face-wraps for camouflage were placed on.

“That will definitely come in useful. Thank you, Patch.” Fletcher putted it on, along with his armor and helmet.

Be careful.” Wagensroll gave him a friendly hug which he returned.

“I will.”

Two other ponies joined them, one a Pegasus with fiery navy-blue coat with matching eyes and flowing silver mane and a white wolf howling as Cutie Mark, the other one a bat pony with grey coat, a broadsword over a full moon as Cutie Mark and to the filly’s anxiety, pure-white eyes.

They were the other two Eternal Knights, White Wolf and their leader, Midnight Blade.

While the Eternal Knights were known to barely showing emotions, Wolf and Blade seemed to slightly worry about him.

Without warning, White Wolf rammed into Fletcher for a tight hug. “Be careful!”

He gently broke the hug with a warm smile. “I will, Wolf.”

“Good luck.” Midnight added.

“Thank you. All of you.” After he had picked up the trail, his horn lit up.

“Now, it’s important that you focus primarily on the portal until you feel your hooves touch solid ground and the magical concentration fade around you almost completely. Too often ponies just think they're done once they see their destination before they actually reach it. In fact, during the First Discordian Crisis, Lady Bright Bramley earned the unique accomplishment of being the first pony to turn herself completely inside-out while trying to reach the realm of...”

“Patch...Not helping.” Wagensroll interrupted, Fletcher’s horn stopped to glow.

“Ooh...” Patch glanced around, seeing that everypony had a rather unsettled expression. “Ahem...Sorry. Not to worry, there are a lot more protective measures nowadays. Just remain focused and patient and accidents are... slightly less likely.”

“Define 'slightly'...and 'accidents'...” Fletcher demanded.

“Well…if focused too little can cause you to land in the wrong place, or…even kill you. Staying focused can minimize this risk but it’s not out of the question.”

“Thanks for the advice.” Fletcher lit his horn up again, everypony was blended by a white light and he vanished after the light faded.

“Now…we can only wait…and hope for the best.” Patch hoped for the best, his friend did too.

“We will inform you when he returns” Wagensroll informed them. As they leaved, Tootsie noticed that he slightly trembled, barely noticeable. “If he survives, that is.…” She heard him mumbling.


I should stop thinking in the past and look into the presence. Fletcher and I were enemies but that’s belongs to the past. Makes we wonder why it’s personally for him.

Doctor Whooves thought before he noticing how Derpy looked sad to the ground.

“If I may make a suggestion my dear, go get some fresh air.” He tried to cheer her up.

She looked at him with a weak smile. “Yeah, I should. Do you want to come along?

“I have something to do, I join you later.”

“We come with you, Derpy.” Sparkler and Tootsie said in union.

“Thanks.” The young Pegasus appreciated it, as they trotted out of the house.

The brown Stallion watched them until they were out of sight. He let out a worried sigh. “Please Dinky…I hope you’re okay.”

Suddenly, he noticed what appeared what to be a statue of a pony covering its eyes in the corner of his eyes. In a joking tone, he asked, “Did I ask for your opinion?”

Derpy, Tootsie and Sparkler walked through Ponyville, everypony greeted them, telling their condolences. That was what they liked very much about Ponyville, everypony helped each other in the time of need, no matter what. Once upon a time, some ponies got kidnapped, only for the entire town to save them, showing how much the citizen cared for each other. As such, the news of Dinky vanishing touched everypony.

Dinky was so nice to everypony. The entire town was concerned, yet tried to make hope as good as it was possible.

Dinky’s friends, the CMC, Ruby and Noi crossed their way. “Hello, you three.” Derpy greeted them.

“Hello, Derpy, Sparkler and Tootsie! We're sorry what's happened to Dinky. We hope she'll be okay!” They all said together, their voices sounded slightly worried.

“Appreciated, girls. I know how much of a good friend Dinky is too you.” Derpy smiled, as Dinky was once very sick, the CMC had once gone on to say she sets an example for the rest of the foals back then.

“Are there any new news?” Ruby asked Tootsie with hope.

“Unfortunately not, but I’m confident that she’s alright.” The young unicorn replied to her friend.

“I hope she is alright. She’s way a too good friend to lose.” Noi added.

“Indeed, Noi. And a great sister.” Tootsie smiled lightly, appreciating it as her friends walked away.

The Hooves continued their walk through Ponyville, Doctor Hooves caught up to them. “Sorry for being late, a…friend held me up.”

“It’s okay, I’m just glad you’re with us.” Derpy kissed him on the cheek.

As they came to Sugarcube Corner, they saw Pipsqueak walking out, his head lowered with a worried expression.

His mood slightly rose as he spotted Tootsie. “Oh, hello. Everything new yet?”

“Not yet, Pipsqueak, but we’ll let you know when we have new information.” Tootsie replied.

“I’m….I’m just worried about her.” He sniffed, about to cry, only to be hugged by Flute.

“Pipsqueak, you’re one of the best friends I and Dinky could ask for. It’s okay to be worried.”

“I know… I just don’t want her to die!” He exclaimed worried.

“None of us want her to die Pip, you aren’t the only one.” Sparkler spoke in a calming voice.

“I’m just so worried about her!” He replied.

They all knew how much Pipsqueak cared for Dinky and she for him. A few days before the wedding of Shining Armor and Cadence, something terrible happened to him, Dinky risked her young life to save him.

The young colt couldn’t remember what happened but was glad she helped him.

The fear of Dinky dying was deeply in all, they prayed she would not.

The Doctor had lost many friends over the years, he did not wanted to lose his beloved daughter or any other member of his family. Appreciating how Pipsqueak and Dinky were friends, best friends in his opinion, he had an idea how he could comfort the young colt.

“Pipsqueak, calm down, we must have hope. I was in many bad situations that I survived just by having hope.” The Doctor said to him.

The small colt smiled. “You’re right, I have to believe in it! Thanks, doc!” He hugged the brown stallion.

“You’re welcome, Pip.”

The young colt walked home, leaving the Hooves family alone.

The four ponies saw two familiar ponies in the distance, walking towards them.

“Wagensroll, Patch, are they back already?” Derpy asked with hope.

“Sadly, no.” Patch replied, hating it to disappoint the young mother.

“We’re here to get some peace and quiet from Canterlot when it is really busy. Ponyville is so quiet, perfect to get some rest, reminds me of my hometown.” Wagensroll explained. “But also to look after you. I allowed myself to buy Tootsie a little present.” He took out a paper bag out of his saddlebag and Tootsie grabbed it. She pulled what appeared to be a type of baked bread product, shaped into a twisted knot out of the bag.

“Thank you!” The filly exclaimed taking a bite, enjoying it with a smile.

He smiled. “You’re welcome. It’s called a pretzel, a very popular pastry in Farmany, I bought it from a bakery in Canterlot.”

While Wagensroll was not married, he cared for children deeply, that’s what Patch liked so much about him, the green Earth pony had also sympathy with Dinky’s family due to that.

“We wish you a good stay.” Sparkler smiled, seeing how happy Tootsie was as she took another bite.

On their way back home, the little unicorn had finished her meal. “That was delicious!”

“Glad to hear it, Tootsie. You and Dinky have very good friends, you can count on them.” Her big sister appreciated it.

“Um-hmm.”

The Doctor was lost in thought, wondering if he could find Dinky with the Tardis, bumping into his wife.

She stood there, frozen. “What’s wrong?” He asked, concerned.

Sparkler and Tootsie also stopped, concerned about Derpy.

“No….” The mare’s voice was quiet. She collapsed, tears leaving her eyes.

Before the doctor could proceed what was happening with his wife, he felt a stinging pain in his two hearts, like they were about to give out. “I’m sorry….mommy…daddy…” echoed in his mind, causing him to collapse too beside Derpy.

“This can’t be…NO!”

It took the two unicorns only a moment to process what happened.

Tootsie started to cry hugging her big sister for comfort, Sparkler patted her back.

“She can’t be gone! SHE CAN’T!” Tootsie wailed.

“Shh…I’m here for you…” Sparkler comforted her, letting her own tears escape.

“DINKY!!!!” Derpy exclaimed in tears.


In another universe

“Help! Mama!” The voice of a young girl echoed in Ruby’s ears.

“I’m coming!” The grey mare followed the cry for help of her beloved daughter, following it into a desert, her special talent to finding things made it easy to track it down as she came to a burning camp

Katja was lying with her back against a wall in her own blood, a knife stuck in her chest. “Mommy…hurts…”

Ruby carefully removed the knife, then tried desperately to stop the bleeding. “Hang on, Sweetie! You’re gonna be alright!” It pained her to see her daughter like this, begged for her not to die, it made her also wondering who would hurt her child like this.

“Tell Mitta…Daddy…I love them…” The girl managed to say before succumbing to her injury.

The mother looked at her hooves, they were covered in her daughter’s blood. “Katja…” She mourned her child, her unique, beloved daughter, she had her life yet ahead of her. Her smile, her eyes, it always had made Ruby happy seeing her happy smiling.

Then, with a sob, she noticed that Blau Streifen was not next to Katja or anywhere near the mare’s view, giving her an amount of hope that she could at least save him.

Then, she heard a strange moan and hoof steps behind her.

Turning around, she saw her son stumbling around, the darkness made it hard to see why.

“Blau Streifen! Are you hurt?” She exclaimed worried of losing her second child, galloping towards him.

The fire of a tent made it possible to see him fully, she stopped dead in her tracks in shock.

His eyes were completely red, his coat black and grey, some bones were visible.

Ruby took a step back, trying to process what happened to her son. “No…Not you…” She muttered in shock.

With another terrifying moan, the colt lunged at his mother, knocking her to the ground, trying to feast upon her, she struggled against it.

“Blau Streifen! It’s me, Ruby! Your mother! Fight against it, sweetheart!” She pleaded.

It was all in vain as he went for her throat.



With a gasp, the middle aged mare awoke, cold sweat on her face, her breath heavy.

“Honey, you ok? Another nightmare?” Her husband, Konrad asked with concern in his voice.

Since Katja and Blau Streifen had gone missing, their mother suffered nightmares about their wellbeing, often not able to sleep.

“Y-yes. They…” Ruby trembled before her husband pulled her close for a tight hug.

“Shh, don’t say it, my dear. I know you are worried, I’m and Mitta are too.” His voice was calming, yet his worry could be heard clearly. As she looked into his blue eyes, she calmed down as they had a calming effect on her, despite the worry they also showed.

“I just don’t want to lose them. They’re everything to me.” She replied concerned.

“Ruby, they’re everything to me too, don’t forget that. And with your special talent, I’m sure we will find them.” His voice had now a confident tone, it give her hope.

“You’re right, with my special talent, we will find them!” She hugged him back.

With a smile he replied, “That’s the spirit.”

Ruby could sleep much calmer this night.

In the next morning, the mare awoke by a delicious smell. Getting out of the bed, trotting into the kitchen, she saw that her husband had made breakfast.

A yawn ringed in their ears, Ruby’s mother Mitta joined them. “Good morning.”

“Morning.” Both greeted her.

While they breakfast was delicious, Ruby let out a sigh, head lowered.

“Ruby, I know you are worried about them but you need to eat something.” Her mother said with concern, seeing that she barely ate any breakfast.

“I’m just worried about my children, that’s all.”

It was rare that Mitta saw and heard her daughter so depressed before. “I suggest you get some fresh air, Ruby.”

“A good idea, mother.” Letting out another sigh, she told her and Konrad what she had dreamed tonight.

“Oh my…that doesn’t sound good.” Mitta covered her mouth in shock.

“More like terrible. Yet, I doubt that this happened to them.” Konrad said.

I hope.

A knock on the door interrupted them, Ruby answered it.

Outside stood a unicorn filly with Periwinkle-grey coat, black mane and blue eyes.

Blissley, Katja’s and Blau Streifen’s school friend.

“Hello, Mrs. and Mr. Ford.” The filly greeted them, her voice low and regretful.

“Hello, Blissley, what brings you here?”

“I-I want to apologize for what happened to Katja and Blau Streifen…I’m s-sorry…” She choked on her guilt, tears leaving her eyes.

Without hesitation, the middle-aged mare hugged her. „Shh, stop blaming herself, it was an accident. It wasn’t your fault.”

“We don’t blame you, Blissley, it was an accident. You’re a friend anypony could ask for. How about a cookie?” Mitta asked.

“I-I would like that.” The filly replied through her tears, calming down.

With that as answer, the light grey coated mare walked into the kitchen and retrieved a large chocolate chip cookie. The young unicorn ate it with glee.

While smiling at the young filly, the middle-aged father thought with a slightly lowered head. There must be a way to finds them. I feel kinda useless. I would search every corner if Equestria if I could.

“Did you come alone here?” Ruby asked Blissley, tearing him out.

“Well, yes. Since your husband made a safe route between Sunny Town and Ponyville, I could get here by myself.” The filly explained.

“Do they know you went by yourself?”

“Yes, I asked them.”

Suddenly, the man felt not useless anymore. He could help another family feel better. “Blissley, do you mind if I take you home?”

She grinned. “Not at all.”

Then, Konrad remembered that he had forgotten where he had putted his car keys. “If I could remember where I putted my keys…”

His wife raised her right hoof, pointing to a drawer. “Ah, thanks, Ruby.”

“You’re welcome.” She gave him a weak smile.

As her husband and Blissley walked out, Mitta cleaned the house.

The married mare walked past the rooms of her children, talking a look inside. Her son’s room was filled with pictures of comic book covers on the wall, soccer items on the bookcase beside his bed, and drawings most likely made by him, while Katja’s room was typical of a young filly's room. It pained the mare to see it empty.

As she got outside, she took a deep breath of fresh air before hearing how the engine of her husband’s car came to life and drove away. She looked after it until it was out of sight.

Before she could even move a hoof, the town leader, Grey Hoof crossed her way. “Good morning Ruby, how are you doing?” He asked friendly.

Letting out another sigh she replied. “Not good. Have you heard anything new?”

“Sadly not, but I will inform you as fast as I can should I hear something. And throw a welcome back party for them.”

“Thanks Grey Hoof, I appreciate it.”

“Your welcome, Ruby.”

As she walked through the town, the other citizens, like Starlet, Roneo, Gladstone, and Three Leaf greeted her, telling their condolences, she thanked them in return.

Not only it was quiet in Sunny Town, everybody helped each other without hesitation, as it was a small community founded years ago. That were two things she liked about it.

The worried mother decided to walk to her favorite spot from her foalhood. An elevated spot that overlooked the entire town that she used to sit upon watching everypony go about their daily lives, like she did right now to feel better.

Her mood slightly increased as she watched her friends, taking a deep breath of the air. Even as adult it was still fun to watch them, sometimes, she did even play spotting games.

Then, she saw how her husband came back in his car, parking it and stepping out, Mitta came out of the house and welcomed him home.

Was he really so fast, or did the time pass faster due as she watched the town? She didn’t know or cared about it.

“I hope you two are alright.” Ruby spoke her thought out loud, letting a single tear escape her eye.

A light stinging pain invaded her chest, she ignored it, assuming it was a cramp. It got stronger, she held her chest in pain, wounding why her chest started to hurt.

“I don’t feel so well…mother…” The voices of her children echoed in her head.

It took only a few seconds to realize what that meant.

“No…Please…no…”

Ruby collapsed, crying uncontrollable.

Despite her tear filled eyes, she could see in the distance how her mother and husband also collapsed.

“NO! MY BABIES!!!” Ruby cried out into the sky.

Author's Note:

Being worried about someone you care is always hard to bear.