• Published 28th Jul 2017
  • 1,973 Views, 263 Comments

Roll for Initiative - David Silver



The girls are out of town, again. Spike and Big Mac are left behind. All the farm chores are handled, but there's little to do. Spike has an idea that he's willing to try, if Big Mac is up for it.

  • ...
7
 263
 1,973

28 - The End. The Beginning.

Spike looked left and slowly right across the table. "A very nice roll, but..." He could feel the tension in the air. They weren't using Discord's gift this session. They were playing it 'old school'.

Applejack thrust a hoof in the air. "Ah use mah cutie mark!"

Pinkie clopped her head with a hoof. "Why didn't I think of that?!"

Big Mac made a noise of approval, looking quite proud of his sister.

"Just enough," spoke Spike with a smile. He reached forward and nudged Applejack's piece ahead. "You manage to..."

They were playing O&O. A group of friends. He was running the game, but he was just as much a part of the group. They were together, as friends. He couldn't help but smile more as he thought of it. "Captain Wuzz, your eagle senses pick up a disturbance."

Even Discord was paying attention. Sure, he had groused a bit about not doing it 'his' way, but he hadn't stormed off. He was playing, part of the circles. Part of the friends.

Rainbow Dash pushed her figure ahead. "Yeah! Finally! I grab the sword!"

"As you do..." Spike let loose a small pile of dice, making the entire table wince, wondering what horror was about to befall them.

Watching from around a corner, Twilight smiled. Seeing Spike lead the game was a moment of pride in herself. It felt almost maternal, even if Spike wasn't... Well, in some ways, he was. She had hatched him. She had raised him. She wasn't, perhaps, the best at the job, but she had done it.

He was more of her little brother than her son, or so she preferred to think of it. She was pretty sure Spike preferred it that way too. That was fine. He was growing up, and becoming a fine person, even if it showed in a harmless game of O&O with friends.

Twilight let out a faint sigh. That table looked full. She would let Spike be the star for the moment. She turned and walked away quietly. "It's like the Crystal Empire," she reminded herself in a hushed tone. He had become the star there. And that was alright. He deserved the spotlight sometimes. "Not like I don't get a turn." She chuckled softly at herself as she ascended the stairs.

"How's it going?" asked a curious Lyra as Twilight reached her observatory. "Is he using my tricks?!"

Twilight smiled at her friend. Her regained friend. She shook her head at herself, imagining the wasted years. "He's doing wonderfully. They're all having fun." She moved for her telescope at an easy pace. "I don't think he'll have an emergency."

Lyra put a hoof behind her head. "I just want to be available. I won't come unless he calls though, like we promised."

"Thank you for that." She sat before her telescope and was quiet a moment before she turned to look over her shoulder. "Lyra?"

"Yeah, Twilight?"

Twilight pointed at her telescope. "Would you like to view the stars with me?"

Lyra gasped softly as she rose to her hooves quickly. "Y-yes! Yes, please. I'd love that."

Lyra trotted over to Twilight's side. Twilight was the boss of that activity, and Lyra eagerly learned a bit about stargazing.

Twilight turned the telescope slowly and carefully with her magic. "If you look, you can see a very famous constellation. Can you name it?"

Lyra put her head to the eyepiece and peered up into the night sky. "Oooo, wow, this is a great view. I never tried a telescope this nice before." Her eye wandered a moment before zeroing in on the constellation. "Hey, woah, I know this one, but it sure looks different. No wonder you like this."

Twilight smiled at Lyra. "It's a whole different perspective. Why, there are some stars you just can't see at all without it." Her magic slowly turned the device, giving Lyra time to move with it. "Look about... here."

"Oooo..."

It was good to be with friends.


Ponies sat up from their seats. Pinkie strummed across her instrument. "I didn't even have any of Discord's help and I was able to play along."

Discord chuckled at that. "I just lit the fire. You, my pink party pony, kept it going."

Pinkie tilted her head at Discord. "Huh, didn't think of it like that. Well, thanks! My music's on fire alright." She hopped up and slipped her lute away. "See you all for the next game!"

"Ayup."

Applejack leaned against her brother. "We'll both be there, fer sure."

"Until then." Discord tipped a hat he didn't have a moment prior.

Spike raised a hand to wave at them all. "Have a safe trip home. I'll have the next part of the adventure ready, so be ready!"

There was a group rallying shout as everyone split up to head to their particular home.

Rainbow bumped against Pinkie. "Finally got it."

Pinkie giggled softly. "It's like your lute, except it doesn't make as much music."

Rainbow snorted. "Sure it does. Any creep that messes with me will make all kinds of music as I poke 'em!"

Pinkie gigglesnorted. "A sword that big? I don't think you're 'poking' anyone."

"Well, true." Rainbow tapped her chin. "Huh, didn't think of that. After all this time using daggers, huh... Guess I'll be swinging this bad boy around." She swayed a hoof back and forth as if making grand sword swings. "Swoosh! Swoosh! Off goes their head!"

Pinkie stuck out her tongue as she walked along under Rainbow. "I hope you don't do that to anyone that doesn't deserve it. We're supposed ta be the good guys, remember?"

Rainbow frowned a little. "Yeah... you have a point there." She clopped her hooves together. "Got it! I'll use my daggers at first, but if it's a real mean bad guy, then out comes the sword, shwing!"

Pinkie bobbed her head with easy agreement. "Whichever weapon you use, I'll play a ballad for you. Hey, did you like my battle song?"

Rainbow burst into laughter. "The lyrics are something else, Pinkie. Nice instrumental though." She came in close to hug her friend from above. "Good to have you in my corner, Pinkster."


Applejack and Big Mac walked side-by-side on their way home. "Ya do know ah already know, right?"

Big Mac blinked. "Nope?"

"C'mon. Give yer sister a tiny scrap of credit." She bumped him lightly. "Just a little."

"Um..."

"Aw, yer shy. 'Course ya are, ya big lug." Applejack laughed softly as she walked. "When are you going to actually ask her out?"

Big Mac turned red right through his already crimson fur, lighting up as well as any hearth's warming tree.

"Just be sure to bring her over sometime. She ain't an Apple until she's met the clan." Big Mac offered no reply to his sister, just growing brighter. "Look, ah know ah said... some unkind things... Ah did some lookin' up. Ah'll admit, ah was ready to blow mah top, ah was..."

Big Mac looked over at Applejack.

"It's true. Ah was... Still, she's a good pony. She works hard. Shoot, she worked hard when we first met her. You know I did meet her before, right? Her stuff better now that she actually puts sugar in it?"

"Yup."

Applejack nodded. "That's good. Whole town full of scared ponies... She was the one to break from the herd, try to get word to us... She may be a unicorn, but she's a darn brave one. She's a good pony, and, if you like her, well..."

Big Mac suddenly grabbed his little sister and squeezed her tightly. He had no words.

Sometimes words weren't needed.

Author's Note:

And fin! How was it? Lemme know!

Want to get your own story written? Want to just support the author in his writing? Join the atreon!

Join my discord to chat!

Comments ( 10 )

Well damn, I'm sorry to see this story end. :fluttershysad:

That said, the ending felt appropriate. Most of the drama had been resolved, since (true to the characters) they talked about things and worked them out. With the various plot lines having come to a close, it's not surprising that things wrapped up. This chapter did a good job of gracefully closing the door on issues such as Pinkie's learning an instrument, Twilight's patching things up with Lyra, and Applejack's lightening up about Big Mac's hobby (and his attitude about playing/being with a non-earth pony). I do wish we'd gotten a bit more about how this affected Spike's unrequited crush on Rarity, but that was a minor element that probably didn't need much more attention than it got.

I also feel like there were some other possible angles that could have been brought up, but that's not a fair criticism on my part; wanting the story to be something it wasn't isn't really something it can be indicted for.

Overall, I say good job. :twilightsmile:

A satisfying resolution for everyone involved. And as the chapter title notes, just because the story's ending doesn't mean the adventure has too. Thank you for this.

Also, I find myself hoping that the constellation being looked at was Lyra.

8661025

8661035
A pleasure having you both on this ride with me. It was a fun story to write and I'm super happy it came out well.

Nice to see the party finalised. A working group is a resiliant and enjoyable group, accrss a wide range of styles.

Maybe the group can work out who gets what style overall, such as Discord gets once a month to run all in LARPs?

ooooohhhh Aj gave the OK

I would love to see more of this:heart:

Good AJ have a cookie for starting to get over your tribalism, keep it up.

8663038
Due to how I write, I didn't even realize Applejack's reasoning until I typed it, and it hit me how well it fit. Of all the unicorns Big Mac coulda fell in with, it was one that was a hardworking baker that had already shown her bravery to Applejack.

They weren't using Discord's gift this session.

I should hope not! :twilightoops:

Silliness aside, I enjoyed reading this little slice of life. One can only speculate that in the future, Spike will make his living writing supplementary and stand-alone content for O&O, or perhaps some other open license gaming system, and will amass a small but loyal following of customers and supporters. :derpytongue2:

A sweet ending.

Login or register to comment