• Published 28th Jul 2017
  • 4,194 Views, 225 Comments

A Lunar Sunset - ed-stoneman



Luna is told to investigate the magic of friendship, but finds much more.

  • ...
13
 225
 4,194

16 - Nightmares come knocking

Over the course of the past several weeks, things had been a whirlwind for both Sunset and Luna. Once she had gotten the details hammered out with Penny and Brick, Sunset spent a good portion of her time either hunting down a good property, or putting the final touches on what she needed to purchase and put into place.

Luna watched in admiration as her girlfriend spent hours upon hours putting every detail into place. That isn’t to say that Luna was neglected. Far from it. The two women wound up splitting their time at each others homes, diving fully into the relationship with one another, to the point that both of them had managed to keep some clothes at the others home.

Soon enough though, it was time for the storm to abate as the opening for the gym drew closer every day. Luna was more than relieved to see the day coming closer, and with less than a week to go, Sunset was finally beginning to slow down from the madcap preparations.

Setting her keys on the countertop in Sunsets kitchen, Luna heard the stereo from the basement workout room blaring something with a heavy bassline. She had started to be able to gauge where her lover was emotionally by what was playing on the radio. If the music was calm and slow, she knew that Sunset would be having a rough day and need to keep her mind quiet and focused to resolve an issue. But the heavy bass pumping from the lower level meant that the redhead was in a good mood and just burning off extra energy.

Heading to the bedroom, Luna quickly shed her work clothes in favor of workout pants and a sports bra. If Sunset was training, she knew that she wouldn’t be able to get out of doing her own workout. Pulling the pants up, Luna took a moment to admire some of the physical changes that had started to become obvious since she started working out with Sunset. While always being generally toned, if a little soft around the edges, Luna was now starting to look slightly muscular. Not overly so, but there was some clear definition to her arms, legs, and stomach that wasn’t there before. If anything she had crossed the line from being trim, into being athletic. Glancing at her backside in the mirror, Luna decided that the change was for the better.

Heading down to the basement, she saw Sunset furiously working the heavy punching bag. Her grin as each strike landed with a distinct thud was infectious. Walking off to the side of the mats on the floor, Luna started to stretch out. She had started to gain an appreciation for Sunsets taste in music, once she realized that each playlist was carefully built around certain musical tempos for different types of working out. There was thought and insight into how the music was crafted to work together with the fitness routines. As she stretched Luna saw each strike that her girlfriend made to the bag was precisely timed with the beat of the music, and as she pressed herself deeper into the stretches Luna tried to match her movements to the tempo as well.

------------

Sunset noticed the movement of Luna out of the corner of her eye. She hadn’t realized that it was time for school to be out already. Striking the bag again and again, the redhead released the tensions of the last few weeks into the leather and sand hanging in front of her. Today was the last day of construction. The gym was built, stocked, and ready to open the doors next week. With one final strike, Sunset set the bag to swinging while she slowly walked over to her girlfriend as she stretched out.

Turning down the music, she stepped behind Luna and wrapped her arms around her lover.

“Hello my love. You need a shower desperately.”

Sunset giggled into the ear of her girlfriend and pulled her closer against herself.

“Yeah, but I had good news and I wanted to burn off some steam first.”

“Oh? And what has you in such a good mood today?”

“As of this afternoon, the gym is officially ready to open next week, The fire marshall came to do the final inspections today and everything passed with flying colors. Tomorrow morning at 8, the email marketing and radio commercials will go live, and next saturday we have our grand opening.”

Luna turned in the arms of her lover and wrapped her in a tight squeeze.

“I am so proud of you! I know that this has been a very large stress on you, and to see it coming to life… I cannot even imagine!”

The redhead smiled at the praise of her partner.

“I honestly couldn’t have done it without you, Lu. You've been super understanding through all of the stress, and I’ve been taking that for granted.”

Sunset pressed her forehead to Luna’s and gently rubbed their noses together.

“Why don’t we skip the workout today and go celeb…”

Sunset was interrupted by the doorbell ringing from upstairs.

“Who in the world? Are you expecting anyone?”

Luna shook her head a quick negative as she followed Sunset up the stairs.

Coming around the hall she heard Sunset open the door, only to be shocked when she saw her sister at the door, accompanied by the nightmare from her childhood.

Immaculate Faith.

-----------

Weeks had gone by since Luna had disclosed the relationship to her sister. Celestia had mostly stayed silent on the matter, voicing neither approval or disapproval. And yet here she was, with that monster.

Looking at the man, he was utterly forgettable to most people. His face was bland, with no real defining features, his eyes nothing more than a watery blue, his hair was blonde and orderly combed. He wore a pale grey suit with a plain white shirt. Everything about him screamed “Don’t look at me, I’m not important.” But Luna knew better.

Under that suit was a heart blacker than midnight, and a willingness to commit evil acts, so long as they aligned with his own righteous fire.

“Hello Miss Shimmer, this is my friend Immaculate Faith. May we come in?” Celestia pointedly ignored her sister, who was standing behind the redhead, nearly cowering.

Reaching her hand around behind her, slightly pushing Luna more fully behind her body,, Sunset looked to the pair. In the doorway.

“Hello Celestia, I actually am kind of uncomfortable with strangers in my home. No offense to you, Mr. Faith, but I don’t know you. If you two wouldn’t mind though, maybe we could meet in about an hour at Sugarcube Corner?”

The older woman raised her hand and opened her mouth to respond, but Immaculate Faith stopped her.

“I understand completely Miss Shimmer. I wouldn’t want to intrude on your home. We would be glad to meet you.”

Without another word, the man dragged Celestia away to the car parked on the street. Watching them drive off, Sunset closed the door and turned. Luna was on her in an instant, hugging and shaking like a leaf.

“That was him, wasn’t it?”

Without a word, Luna nodded. Sunset couldn’t see it as her lover had buried her face against Sunsets chest, but feeling the nod was enough.

“Lu, look at me.”

Luna shook her head, pressing harder against Sunset.

“Lu, come on.”

Another shake of the head.

Sunset sighed, snaking her arm in between them, she put her hand on Lunas chin and tilted her head up, so that she was at least looking at Sunset. Her eyes rimmed in red and slightly puffy from crying, Sunset had two very visible wet spots on her shirt.

“Okay love, I’ve got you. You know that I won’t let him hurt you.”

Luna nodded again, her face still expressing some doubt.

“Let’s get cleaned up, and find out what they want.”

“Do we have to? I would just as soon we did not allow that… man into our lives at all.”

“He was never caught for what he did, was he?”

A small shake of the head from Luna.

“Would you like to see that changed? It might be possible to see some kind of justice still.”

Luna’s eyes got wide.

“I hadn’t dared to hope for that. Is it possible?”

“It might be, but I need to have you be strong for me. Can you do that, love?”

Luna nodded hesitantly.

“Good. One of the detectives at the police department has been very interested in the gym and what I’m trying to do. He might be willing to help out.”

Reaching for her phone on the kitchen counter, Sunset dialed and waited.

“Hello, Detective Armor? This is Sunset. Shimmer. Listen, I know this might be a little far fetched and out of let field, but do you know anything about an old case for Shady Acres mental hospital? Yes, that’s the one. Look, I have evidence that might actually close that case for you. Can. You be at my house in half an hour?”

Looking at her with wide eyes, Luna started to feel a bit of hope for some closure.

Author's Note:

Well damn. It's been a bit.

After taking nearly a year to write the first week of the relationship, life needed to speed up. I sort of wrote myself into a corner.

This is the start of resolving that and patching some holes.

Thanks for the patience everyone!