• Published 25th Jul 2017
  • 1,155 Views, 37 Comments

Rise of Char - Turtlehaus



Smolder has become the King of the Ashen Fields, and the pressures of ruling a Kingdom are already setting in for there are shadows that linger within Castle Char that threaten the whole of Equestria. The Sequel to Smoldering It Over.

  • ...
2
 37
 1,155

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 31: Morning After

Crowds of reporter ponies were pressed shoulder to shoulder at the Main Entrance of Castle Char, cameras in hooves, notepads and pens at the ready. The Coronation of the new King was met with sudden tragedy as rumors spread of four ponies that had been attacked during last night's festivities. It was unclear to any pony what the actual details were but a good reporter pony doesn't publish a story with getting all the facts. The doors of Castle Char began to slid open, every reporter pony shoved one another out of the way to get out in front of the pack, the merciless flashing of cameras erupted without any sign of stopping. Corporal Hicks, Topaz, and Spinel appeared through the doors. Every pony shouted over one another about the situation that had occurred, asking if there was any truth behind it, who was responsible, and what the condition of the ponies were. There was one reporter pony that was up near the front, his voice seemed to drown out all the rest as he asked his question.

"Rumors have been spreading around the Ashen Fields about an attack carried out by an unknown assailant, seriously injuring four flame ponies. Is any of this true?" The reporter pony asked.

"Three Flame Ponies are currently in hospital for severe trauma, they were found late last night by Royal Guards, but the assailant remains at large." Topaz replied.

"Who were the injured ponies?" Another reporter asked.

"At this time we are not revealing the names of the victims of the attack, but their families have been notified." Topaz continued.

"Does the Royal Guard have any idea of who might have been behind this attack?" A reporter pony asked aloud.

"We have a pretty good idea of who it was." Topaz replied.

"With all the heightened security for the Coronation, some Flame Ponies claim that it was due to threats made earlier in the week by an Orc. Can you confirm this?" The first reporter pony asked.

"The Ashen Fields received a rather ill-conceived threat from an Orc early this week. It most likely that this Orc is behind this attack." Topaz replied as every reporter began writing on the notepads.

"A state of emergency has been declared in the Ashen Fields, guests and visitors are urged to leave as soon as possible for your own safety, until such a time where no pony's life is threatened." Spinel announced.

"What of the injured Flame Ponies? Are they expected to make a full recovery?" A reporter asked, over the dozens of other questions being asked.

"As it stands, we have three Flame Ponies being treated for severe trauma, and one in critical condition." Topaz answered.

"You said that there were only three Flame Ponies." A reporter pointed out.

"There were four victims, three were Flame Ponies, and one was not." Topaz informed them.


Tea Herbal was in the Infirmary, lending a hoof to the undertrained Flame Pony nurses who were unfamiliar with such serious injuries. Having quickly made makeshift gloves from her fire proof cloak, Tea was able to administer her remedies much more quickly. Smolder had given the Flame Pony nurses the jar of Savanna Sun that he had been gifted from Princess Sheva to assist in their recovery. Luckily, Zecora was also lending a hoof in teaching Tea on how to apply and use it effectively.

"These ponies were badly beaten; Savanna Sun should be applied very even." Zecora instructed guiding Tea's hoof over Argo's arm.

"What does Savanna Sun actually do?" Tea asked curiously.

"Lessens the pain, turns broken bones into mere sprains." Zecora informed her.

"How long will it take before it starts to take effect?" Tea asked.

"Younger ponies would be up in a day, no worse for wear, but I'm afraid older ponies don't have it so fair." Zecora said sadly. "It will take a few days at best, for now, all they can do is rest."

"Will some of this work on Wingston?" Tea asked glancing over slab where Wingston lay; quietly rasping to himself.

"Stabbed with a spider's fang he was, using this would give me pause." Zecora replied solemnly.

"Why? Would it not work on a spider bite?" Tea asked.

"Savanna Sun is a remedy for physical ailments; it would have little effect on poison." Princess Sapphire commented, bringing a cast iron tea pot in her hooves.

"What are you doing with that?" Tea asked, eyeing the kettle.

"Flame Ponies have dealt with spiders more often than any other pony in history. They wrote an extensive remedy book concerning all types of poisons of all different types of spiders. I'm going to help brew some for Wingston." Sapphire remarked, using her magic to pull bottles off the shelves and reading each label.

"How will you know what sort of remedy to use?" Tea asked, finishing the last coat of Savanna Sun on Argo's arm.

"The Orc left the fang of a Queen Spider behind, it won't be too difficult to figure out." Sapphire explained, magically holding the fang aloft.

"Is there anything I can do?" Tea asked stepping beside her.

"No, I've got this. You should get some rest; you've been here all night." Sapphire replied.

"Have you seen Smolder?" Tea asked, sounding rather worried.

"He's in a meeting with all the Kingdoms at the moment." Sapphire replied.

"Why aren't you there?" Tea asked curiously.

"We've already had an emergency meeting early this morning between the Crystal Empire, Canterlot, the Frozen North, and the ponies of Ponyville about the attack." Sapphire mentioned.

"And?" Tea asked.

"…I think it's best to leave him alone, he's in a really bad place right now." Sapphire said slowly.

"Why? What happened?" Tea asked, sounding worried.

Sapphire glanced over her shoulder to see if any pony was listening, before leaning over to Tea to whisper.

"When I said 'we' had an emergency meeting, I meant that we had one without Smolder present." Sapphire whispered to her.

"Without Smolder? Why?" Tea asked sounding confused.

"Smolder is emotionally compromised at the moment, and we want to make sure that he won't do anything rash or something he may regret." Sapphire explained.

"Like what?" Tea asked in surprise.

"Smolder is now a King, Ms. Herbal, a very new one at that. His actions will have lasting effects on this Kingdom if they are not thought through and made with the soundest of minds, it will have lasting effects. We're hoping that Smolder will realize his duty and not make this a personal matter." Sapphire said.

"That Orc attacked Wingston; Smolder isn't going to let that go." Tea replied.

"Smolder now has a Council in which to draw ideas and informed decisions from. If he chooses to act on his own accord like his father did, we might lose him." Sapphire said.

"Lose him? You think he'll go mad like his dad?" Tea asked taken aback.

"Hate does terrible things to Flame Ponies, and Flame Ponies have been known to do some very terrible things." Sapphire said remorsefully.

"Smolder isn't like that." Tea said defensively.

"Ms. Herbal, I know you care for him but if history has proven anything it is that Orc's and Flame Ponies don't mix. There will be retribution, war is coming and it may consume him." Sapphire remarked.

"Then I guess we're lucky he's got friends rallying around him and having meetings behind his back." Tea said hotly before starting off towards the exit.


Helena and Golden Fleece stood beside Argo's granite hospital bed, he had several ugly bruises but the Savannah Sun seemed to already reduce much of the swelling. One of his back legs had been wrapped in a special cast, made of plaster and flame resistant cloth that Stitch Rose Shay had spare of, which would leave him bed ridden for several weeks; but the Savannah would shorten that considerably.

"If you think this will make me feel sorry for you, it won't." Helena joked stroking Argo's arm.

"How's every… pony else?" Argo mumbled weakly.

"General Hearth seemed to have gotten the worst of it. Mr. Sand has a concussion, and a few broken ribs. Wingston was poisoned by a spider fang." Goldie told him.

"We have… remedies for…" Argo strained to speak, trying to force himself up.

"Princess Sapphire has already begun working on an antidote for him. You need to lay still and rest." Helena insisted, trying to gently push him back down.

"Do you remember anything that happened, Dad?" Goldie asked.

"It got to Burnie first… Hearth tried to stop him… I tried to help…" Argo mumbled, obviously still in a lot of pain.

"That's enough, Argo. You need to rest." Helena said sternly.

"Helena… you need… to be… my replacement." Argo muttered.

"Argo, I was only your secretary, I've never been a Treasurer before." Helena said solemnly.

"I'll do it." Goldie said promptly.

"This isn't something you can just volunteer for, Goldie. This is-" Helena began.

"I've handled my fair share of accounting in the Frozen North, I'm sure Princess Sapphire will vouch for my competence if Lord Smolder has any doubts." Goldie interrupted, sounding very confident.

Argo slid his hoof over the granite towards Goldie, placing her own hoof over it.

"Ms. Fizzle… will bring you… up to speed." Argo mumbled, already moving ahead with the idea of her replacing him.

"I won't let you down, Dad." Goldie said, gently kissing his hoof.

"Bottom drawer… on the left… of my desk..." Argo said in no more than a whisper before falling asleep once more.

Helena leaned over, kissing Argo on the head. Goldie cleared her throat, doing her best to keep it together; stubborn and strong like her Dad.

"You'll need to inform Lord Smolder of Argo's request, and his recommendation of you taking his place for a time." Helena said encouragingly.

"After I get settled in, I'm sure there's already a lot of work waiting in Dad's office." Goldie replied giving her mom a hug before heading off.

"You know Argo; I thought I learned to hate you over the years. Grow less attached to you, forget about you eventually. Imagine my surprise to see Goldie grow up to have your brilliant mind, your stubborn attitude, and beautiful singing voice." Helena whispered to him with a smile. "Luckily for her, she got my good looks."


Ray Horizon, along with her parents, had come to see General Hearth in hospital. General Hearth was not conscious for any of it, although his daughter and son-in-law spoke to him regardless wishing for his speedy recovery. They were there for hours until her parents thought it best to let him rest until tomorrow, although Ray was adamant about staying by his side, refusing to move until he woke up. It wasn't another hour before General Hearth had begun to stir.

"Granddad?" Ray asked softly, gently holding his hoof.

General Hearth's eyes slowly fluttered open, his eyes focusing on her. He smiled weakly at her.

"Hey." General Hearth mumbled.

"You're going okay, granddad, the green pony said so." Ray said quickly, her voice already breaking from her crying.

"Did I… ever tell you…" General Hearth began weakly.

"Don't strain yourself, granddad, you need to rest." Ray muttered, her voice quivering.

"I always wanted to fly." General Hearth said. "If only to escape this place."

General Hearth's voice was calm, and relaxed. It sounded old, almost feeble, as if he was daydreaming.

"Granddad?" Ray mumbled, looking rather concerned.

"I was the eldest in my family." General Hearth continued, slowly but surely. "We were once a great house, respected amongst all our peers and I was to be a soldier pony by the insistence of my father."

Ray sat quietly listening to him, gently stroking his hoof and letting him take as many pauses as he needed to.

"I trained every day, spent the nights studying, and all to bring honor to our house. I hated every minute of it. I used to dream of flying away. Escaping this life I never wanted. I was arranged to marry a mare from another house, to combine our two families, but I chose Lily BlackWater; the saddle makers daughter."

Ray was now listening very closely to him.

"My father was furious… forbade me from seeing her, from marrying her, but did that and more. I married Lily that year… and we had our first filly that following year." General Hearth said looking very sad.

"I lost her during the Black Winter. I can still remember the look on my daughter's face when I told her. She blamed me for not being there to protect her, I knew she didn't mean it, but it didn't make it any less true." General Hearth continued.

Ray could hear the remorse in his voice, the pain that came with remembering, and how sad he looked while saying it.

"By then I was charged with the defense of the Kingdom… by King Scorch, a great honor to my family after such a great tragedy. I left my daughter alone for days at a time, days I regret giving up, but it was duty to defend every pony from another Black Winter." General Hearth said with sigh.

"Before I knew it, she was to be married… to one of my soldiers, a colt named Temper Horizon and I realized how much time had passed; how little I had spent with her. That was just after King Scorch had felled the Orc, and just before he started to slip madness." General Hearth said through a cough.

Ray could see how difficult it was for her grandfather to admit to this.

"The Mad King eventually burned down and stripped away everything my house once stood for. My father passed away a broken pony, my brothers and sisters fled to the North with their families, and I haven't seen them since." General Hearth said solemnly.

"I obeyed the King's commands in fear of him harming my daughter and her husband, so I led the attacks on Ponyville and the Crystal Empire. Each night I wished for my daughter to grow wings and escape this place. Instead, during all that misery and chaos, I received word that I had become a grandfather, and that the filly had wings."

General Hearth looked up at Ray, a smile so endearing it almost seemed like he was going to cry.

"I called you, our little ray of hope… your mother and father was kind enough to let that be your name." General Hearth said with small smile.

"Granddad." Ray whispered, clutching his hoof tightly.

"I never… wanted you… to be like me…" General Hearth said weakly, eyes slowly coming to a close.

Ray watched as he fell back asleep, his breathing only slightly labored, but resting peacefully nonetheless. Placing her forehead on his hoof, Ray mumbled to herself a promise to her granddad, leaning over and kissing him on the cheek. Taking his helmet from the edge of the granite slab, Ray carried it out, under her arm and headed out of the hospital.


Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, Princess Cadance, Princess Sheva, Lady Frost, Prince Rutherford, Duke Wellington, Shining Armor, Lord Tundra, Alex Papyrus, Tiff Pitchstone, Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Applejack, Solar Wind, Flare Fizzle, Wisp Seeker and myself were crowded into the throne room; every pony discussing amongst one another about the situation.

"How did this Orc manage to sneak in here anyways?" Rainbow Dash asked sounding annoyed.

"There was a hidden staircase leading to the mines in the old North Tower, it was set to be demolished sometime after the Coronation. No pony thought to look there." Wisp replied; sounding very agitated by this oversight.

"Will they be alright? General Hearth and the others?" Princess Cadance asked, sounding very concerned.

"I spoke with Tea Herbal not too long ago; she said that Argo Fleece and Burning Sand are in no immediate danger. General Hearth and Wingston on the other hoof… they're having a more difficult time treating." Twilight mentioned rather sadly.

"What was the point of this attack?" Fluttershy asked quietly.

"It was to send a message, that's what. That Orc is taking jabs at this Kingdom, hard jabs. He's put the Treasurer, the General, the Advisor, and the Ambassador in the hospital. He's effectively weakened the chain of command." Duke Wellington spouted off.

"The Orc declared war on the Ashen Fields, this act of aggression is supposed to instill fear in this Kingdom, and if the Orc has its way we'll be hesitant to retaliate." Flare spoke up.

"In what ways should the Kingdom retaliate? The critters are hiding underground in old tunnels; there ain't no way to find them even if you wanted to." Applejack asked.

"If we don't do anything, it will appear that the Kingdom is fine with an enemy invading our lands and harming our kin." Solar piped up.

"So you'd play right into its hands then? Go to war with the Orc and its spiders?" Princess Luna poised the question every Flame Pony sitting on.

"Wars come about when communication fails, who knows what the future may entail." Princess Sheva remarked.

"You'd try and reason with this Orc?" Shining Armor asked.

"If it would mean sparing the Flame Ponies another war, just as they are starting to get back their hooves, I would push to resolve this peacefully." Rarity said urgently.

"I would see the logic in this way of thinking, but this Orc doesn't seem to be after peaceful resolutions. It has outright attacked the Flame Ponies, built an army and is now poised to see what the Ashen Fields next move will be. War is coming, whether we wish it so or not." Lady Frost informed.

"Yaks ready to stomp ugly spiders into the dirt!" Prince Rutherford declared, stomping his hooves.

"What about the other Flame Ponies, the ones that are just starting to put this sort of thing behind them? They've started their own stores and lives again." Pinkie Pie said with concern.

"Flame Ponies have a deep sense of pride within their culture; they are willing to protect that which they consider important, whether it be their ideals, belongings, friends or family. They will understand the need to make a stand against this threat." Lord Tundra explained.

The conversation continued on, although Princess Celestia had her gaze fixed upon me. She had noticed my eyes starting to droop, the slowness of my breath, and the sudden stillness that had struck my body. She had seen what other had only described to her up to this point, my lapses with past memories.

It felt different this time. I felt myself flying through the darkness, not able to figure out what had triggered my dormant magic. Granted I was barely listening to the conversation taking place, my thoughts were of the Orc, of those in the hospital, the similarities to what my father had to go through, and that's when everything started to go dark again. I felt the darkness come to a crawl, I stood on blackness gazing around for anything to make it present to me.

"Hello?" I asked aloud after a while of standing in completely nothingness.

A split in the darkness before me stretched in thin line. Through this, the head of a fiery colt emerged, stepping through the darkness. Flames wildly leaping from its body, legions of hide missing from its body while flames leaped from them, eyes burning red; my father had come to see me.

"Father?" I asked in disbelief.

"You will die protecting this world." The Mad King echoed.

I stared at this ghost, this memory, at least that's what I chose to see it as. It did not have the malice or the anger of my father, but it retained all its fiery fury.

"If I died protecting my kin, my friends, and the ponies I love… I would not care." I replied to my father.

"Stronger ponies then you have lost their way stepping through the darkness of their hearts." The Mad King's voice echoed again.

"Like you?" I spat, not wanting to lectured by him.

"I am your pain." The Mad King said.

The darkness exploded around us, it was an all too familiar sight. I was back, under the mountains of the Everfree, watching myself blaze in an inferno, attacking the Queen of Spiders mercilessly. I watched this memory of mine, seeing how fierce more roared, remembering how powerful I felt watching the Queen suffer.

"I am your love." The Mad King continued.

The darkness swirled once more, this time revealing to me Tea hugging me at the train station. I watched it silently, feeling my heart ache at the thought of her being hurt.

"The power to save your friends, to save your kingdom, to protect those you love. How far would you go to obtain the power necessary to do so?" The Mad King's voice echoed.

I turned to look at my father, it didn't act like my father would, nor did it speak in ways that I knew him to. I began to slowly realize who I was speaking with.

"Everything I've done, everything I fought for, I did it all for them." I said.

"How far would you go?" The Mad King asked me again.

"I never wanted any of this; I just wanted to save my family!" I shouted staring at the fiery colt before me.

"How far?" The Mad King asked again.

I had mistaken this fiery colt to be my father, this roaring inferno of fire and flame was simply my own fire, my soul staring back at me. Myself questioning the choices I was about to make, and understanding the consequences if I were to choose poorly.

"Smolder?" Princess Celestia voice came drifting in.

I blinked several times, bringing the Throne Room back into focus, every pony looking at me rather strangely. The fiery colt was slowly fading from my sight, its question still echoing in head.

"Did you have another vision, Smolder?" Twilight asked.

"I…" I started to speak, but didn't really know what to say. "I'm going to go be by myself for a while."

"Smolder?" Princess Celestia asked once more with concern, watching me step off my throne and leaving my crown behind.

"This is no time to be feeling guilty about what happened, son. We need to talk this over and come up with a plan to-" Duke Wellington began but I cut him short.

"We'll discuss later." I said firmly, heading towards the corridor.

"You can't just walk away from this." Duke insisted sounding rather cross. "You need to pony-up and face this like a real King would."

"No pony has anything to say to me today!" I shouted angrily slamming my hooves down and flaring my mane.

Every pony jumped at my sudden outburst, Duke Wellington was the most surprised, having believed me to be a gentler soul than my father. Every pony looked at me with concern and worry, no more so then Princess Celestia who had risen from her chair, watching me carefully. I could feel my anger burning inside me, it wasn't for Duke or any of them, it was at myself and guilt felt; for those in hospital paying my failure to protect them. No pony said anything as I turned to leave, I crossed the corridor quickly before leaving the meeting altogether.

"The poor dear." Lady Frost said sympathetically.

"Poor dear?" Duke asked looking surprised.

"This must be terribly hard for him, it isn't his fault but the message is clear: that Orc wanted to hurt Smolder and he went through those he loved to do so. I can't imagine the guilt he must be feeling." Lady Frost explained.

"That doesn't excuse him from shirking his duties as King." Duke mumbled sounding annoyed.

"I think Smolder has the right idea, the crown is not something he's earned, but given to him out of necessity. The choices he is facing are those that can't be answered by any of us, or by the position of being King; he needs to figure out what he would do." Princess Celestia said sitting back down.

"He seemed a bit hot under the collar." Duke mentioned.

"Better that he gets out his anger now before making any rash decisions that he might come to regret or deem unwise." Lord Tundra remarked.

"So what will we do?" Shining Armor asked.

"What do you mean?" Princess Luna asked.

"Well, I for one want to be here to support him on his decision. He needs to know that he has friends that will stand by him now more than ever." Shining Armor said.

"What if we don't agree with his decision?" Duke argued.

"We won't." Shining Armor said confidently.

"How do you know?" Duke asked.

"Because every decision Smolder has ever made was never for himself, it has always been for his ponies or family." Shining Armor said nodding his head. "Because Smolder may have his father's strength, but he has mother's heart; he doesn't have to go any farther than that to make the right choice."

"What is the right choice?" Fluttershy asked curiously.

"To go to war." Princess Celestia stated.

"Well, I hope he takes good long look in the mirror before coming up with any decision." Duke said folding his arms.

Princess Celestia nodded in agreement before suddenly stopping short. She had suddenly realized what was still lurking around in Smolder's room, which just so happened to be a mirror of sorts.


I sat in front of the mirror looking at the small shard still stuck in the twisted metal. I could see a small faint yellow light come into view, Mira's eye no doubt, staring back at me.

"…what…"

"I need your help." I said.

PreviousChapters Next