• Published 25th Jul 2017
  • 1,155 Views, 37 Comments

Rise of Char - Turtlehaus



Smolder has become the King of the Ashen Fields, and the pressures of ruling a Kingdom are already setting in for there are shadows that linger within Castle Char that threaten the whole of Equestria. The Sequel to Smoldering It Over.

  • ...
2
 37
 1,155

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 27: The Coronation (Part 3)

Inside my Royal Chambers, the bulk of Royalty stood about as Princess Cadance gave me the most endearing hug I have ever had the good fortune of receiving; through my cloak of course. It lasted well into half minute before Shining Armor's sudden throat clear caused her to loosen her grip on me. Princess Cadance had acted as a temporary shield against Wingston's wrath but I hoped that he wouldn't strike me in front of every other pony.

"We are so very excited for you, Smolder." Princess Cadance remarked joyfully.

"Could you be nervous for me instead?" I asked jokingly, wishing the butterflies in my stomach would go away.

"We were doing plenty of that when we discovered you were absent from your chamber." Princess Luna replied.

"I'm sorry that I took off like that." I apologized sincerely.

"The heart wants what the heart wants." Princess Cadance stated, in almost a loving sigh.

"What?" I asked feeling confused.

"Cadence is referring to your meet up with Tea." Shining Armor explained.

I felt my face flush.

"H-H-How did you know..." I stammered feeling my face flush more.

"The entity in the mirror revealed to us your whereabouts." Princess Celestia informed me.

I whipped around to glare at the Void Mirror. I quickly approached it, my embarrassment nearly boiling over.

"Why would you tell them that?" I asked the mirror in a hushed tone.

"...so they would... shut up..."

"I thought we had an understanding?" I asked feeling betrayed.

Every pony looked on with surprise to see me so chummy with the mirror. Speaking to it so casually and acting like it was another pony standing in the room with them.

"...tough..."

I snorted in displeasure. Glancing back over to the other ponies I could see that they were giving me strange looks. I remembered that no other pony knew about my relationship with the mirror. Every pony must have believed that I simply ignored it or spent as much time away from it as possible.

"H-H-Having the mirror see everything I do is a bit annoying... at times." I said trying to come up with an excuse.

"…shut up…"

"The ceremony is going to begin in less than half an hour, are you ready?" Wingston asked getting right to the point.

"I'm ready." I said confidently.

From my posture it would seem that I was ready, but my eyes told a much different story. It was a lot to ask of a young Prince pony, it was a lot to ask of any pony that was going to be standing in front of some many respected Lords and Leaders who were silently judging you on appearance and merit. Although, the comforting smiles from the Princesses and Shining Armor were enough to settle my heart once more.

"It would be best to get back to the Main Hall to allow Smolder some time to prepare." Shining Armor mentioned.

"If you a need a friendly face to look at while you're up there, Shining Armor and I will be near the front; I know how difficult it is to talk to a group of ponies when I first started out." Princess Cadance offered

I nodded in agreement. Princess Cadance leaned over to hug me once more, this time for luck. When she pulled away Shining Armor approached me, placing his hoof on my shoulder. Between colts, there really isn't much need to speak, but just knowing a fellow colt was there for you made all the difference. Princess Cadance and Shining Armor took their leave for my chamber as Princess Luna and Princess Celestia stepped towards me.

"Brevity is the soul of wit, Flame Pony." Princess Luna said.

I felt Princess Luna put her hooves around me as well, she embraced me just like Princess Cadance; I got hugged by two Princesses.

"What?" I asked looking towards Princess Celestia confused.

"It basically means to keep it short, and don't waste time." Princess Celestia informed me.

"Oh." I said, wondering if I tended to be long winded.

"It will be over before you know it." Princess Celestia reassured me.

Princess Celestia decided to forgo the series of hugs I had been receiving for a more formal nod of the head; she threw in a wink just for me though. Princess Luna and Princess Celestia made their way to the doors of my chamber and headed back down to the Main Hall leaving only Wingston and I.

"What you did was brash, arrogant, and very selfish, Smolder." Wingston began, sounding very strict with me.

"I know." I said, admitting to these accusations.

"Although, you are allowed to have a social life and your intentions were clearly for Ms. Herbal's safety." Wingston continued putting a spin on things.

"Really?" I asked looking surprised.

"You're becoming a King now, Smolder. You are sacrificing much of your own personal life to serve the Ashen Fields. You are entitled to your own desires, but every pony here is depending on you to put their needs before yours. From the richest ponies, to the poorest ponies, Equestria will be watching you now, judging you actions and your intentions." Wingston informed me.

"I know, but I need to do this. I want to do this." I replied confidently.

Wingston limped over to me, hugging me as best he could as I wrapped my arm around him.

"You have no idea what you're going to say, do you?" Wingston asked curiously.

"Not a clue." I replied honestly.

Wingston pulled away from me, his eyes narrowed at me and looking rather unsurprised by this.

"It's not surprising. The speech is the time where the Prince would speak of the deeds his father, the King, had done and would swear to do right by him or better. It's safe to say that you won't have to convince many that you'll be a better King then your father." Wingston replied strumming his long fingers on his staff.

"I can promise not to wage war with Equestria." I mentioned jokingly.

"It's a good place to start. I should be getting ready to start the ceremony." Wingston said nodding and turning towards the door.

"I'll make you proud, Wingston." I said, hoping that it would reassure him.

Wingston looked over at me. His hood covering much of his face but I could tell that he was smiling at me.

"You already have, Smolder." Wingston said sincerely.

Wingston left my chambers, the moment was almost here and I wasn't prepared for it at all. I kept telling myself that something would come to me, that the words and courage I needed would just come out when I needed it most but, like usual, my mind was as blank as ever. My hood fell to my shoulders as I rubbed my temples, trying to calm myself down, thinking of what I could try to base my speech on. My thoughts slowly drifted to Tea, it filtered onto the friends I had made and the ponies I've met but nothing cohesive seemed enough to make a speech.

There came a knock at my chamber door, a Royal Guard pony stuck his head in looking around for me. He spied me over by the twisted broken mirror.

"Two minutes, my Lord." The Royal Guard Pony announced.

"Understood." I replied nodding to the guard.

The Royal Guard nodded his head in agreement. Disappearing behind the door and closing it. I could hear the music of 'All Ye' Gentle Ponies' was already beginning to play from the Main Hall and knew it was time.

"Wish me luck." I said with a sigh to the mirror.

"...stupid... flame pony..." The mirror replied.


The Main Hall was nearly filled to the brim with some many different kinds of ponies. I felt each and every pony's eyes trained on me as I descended the stairs; all I could think was to not trip. Luckily I reached the landing without any mishaps, quickly seating myself on the rock I was supposed to sit on; I sat like a statue trying not to make eye contact with any of the ponies in the audience.

"We are gathered here today, from every corner of Equestria to bring in the new King of the Ashen Fields. Here, upon the stone of Dragons, that we honor the first of the long line of Kings; Lord Smoke. For it was this stone that Lord Smoke stood upon, to declare to every Flame Pony that toiled under the tyranny of the Dragons, 'No more.' Leading the revolt against the Dragons and securing Flame Pony freedom in the years to come. We honor the leadership, the courage, the resolve, that the first King had shown for his fellow ponies." Wingston said aloud, beginning his speech.

I honestly had no idea that this stone held some much importance to our Flame Pony history. It was rather surprising that this stone had been used to seat every King that had ever been crowned.

"It represents the buildings blocks of our great Kingdom and…" Wingston's voice seemed to grow fainter and fainter.

No sooner had his voice begun to fade, so did Wingston himself start to fade. I looked towards the hall of ponies looking on and saw that they too had begun to fade. My eyes were growing dark; I could feel myself panicking, unsure of what was going on. Just as the world disappeared from my sight, I realized what was happening; my dormant magic was reacting to the stone beneath me. I closed my eyes as tight as I could, silently begging myself not to do this now, fearing I'd slump over once more in front of every pony in Equestria.

"Scorch?"

I opened my eyes to see rather elderly Flame Pony colt standing before me. He wore armor that bore the emblem of a Phoenix on his chest, holding the Obsidian Crown in his hooves, and standing before me with a smile.

"I am ready, father." I could hear the words come from my mouth.

"I, Lord Phoenix, ruler of the Ashen Fields, hereby step down as King. By the laws set by the first of our kin, I name you, Scorch Phoenix, my successor and only heir to the throne." Lord Phoenix said aloud placing the crown upon my head.

"May your reign be that of peace and prosperity, my son." Lord Phoenix said quietly, so only I could hear it.

The hall erupted with the chant 'long live the King', I could see the wealth of Flame Ponies, and even Princess Celestia in the audience cheering. I felt myself rise from the stone, approached the table and begin to address the gathered ponies.

"In the days of my father, our lands enjoyed a golden age like none that came before before. We've reveled in a peace that has surpassed any recorded reign in Flame Pony history and have gathered a great many friends in these years. It is with a heavy heart that I must succeed my father before his time, but I will be fortunate enough to have his council in these early days of my reign. I look forward to what the future may bring, the challenges that await, and the chance to prove myself a suitable King." It was clearly my father's voice, much younger and without the malice.

His voice became, muddled, the world began to fade once more, and I felt myself being drawn back into the darkness. Darkness kept me for a while; I tried my best to find anything to fixate my eyes on. The darkness saw fit to drop stones from the abyss before me, one by one, before hundreds started to build around me. It was Castle Char, but much newer looking, and not completely built yet. I saw the wealth of Flame Ponies that were dirty, tired, but seemingly happy none the less.

"I crown thee, King Smoke, Dragon Rider, and Lord of the Ashen Fields."

I felt the crown be placed upon my head from someone behind me. The Flame Ponies present started to cheer. A figure moved beside me, it was tall and stood on its hind legs. It was draped in a cloak, its hand resting upon my shoulder. I had seen this creature before, within the Void, calling for help. It turned to look at me, two bright yellow eyes staring down at me.

"May our two great Kingdoms always stand united as Flame and Shadow." I felt myself declare.

I rose once more from the stone, standing side by side with the Void Walker. We proceeded through the crowd of Flame Ponies, their cheers echoed around me. What was to be the entrance of Castle Char was merely an arch, and beyond it were hundreds of these Void Walkers waiting in the ash ridden fields. The Void Walkers cheered for me, I could see the more Flame Ponies intermixed with the creatures.

The castle began to fall back up into the sky, much of how it built itself before, but the figure remained staring at me. Its hand digging in deeper to my shoulder, even as the world disappeared from sight it remained; relentlessly staring at me. The figure knelt down next to me, being at eye level, its eyes still burning bright and staring into mine.

"Help us."

It spoke those two words before slowly dissolving away into the darkness. I kept myself fixated on where its eyes had been, wondering if it was speaking to me or past memory that lingered.

"Smolder?" Wingston whispered to me.

I blinked several times. The world fluttered back into view, Wingston stood before me holding the Obsidian crown; he had small stairs case to stand on to reach me.

"Is his Majesty willing to take the oath?" Wingston asked aloud.

"I am willing." I replied, it wasn't all that loud but it was enough for Wingston to proceed.

"Will you govern your ponies, Ashen Fields, towns, and colonies accordingly through our laws and customs?" Wingston asked raising the crown over my head.

"I solemnly promise to do so!" I replied louder, remembering what Pinkie Pie had trained me for.

"And will you to your power cause Law and Justice, in Mercy to be executed in all your judgments?" Wingston asked still holding the crown over my head.

"I will!" I said aloud confidently.

"I, Wingston of the Dark Marsh, Advisor to the King, hereby appoint you, by the laws set by the first of your kin, Smolder of the Ashen Fields, the successor to the throne." Wingston announced placing the crown upon my head.

The hall exploded with cheers, applauding ponies, and a few shrill whistles in the far back; it must have been Nightshade and Cosmic. I felt the crown's weight come full down on my head, looking up I could see Wingston beaming with pride.

"May your reign be long and just, my friend." Wingston said quietly, so only I could hear.

Wingston stepped down from the small staircase, pulling it aside as it marked my cue to approach the table. The cheers of the ponies began to die down. I stood staring out over the hall, meeting the eyes of Princess Cadance, Shining Armor, Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, General Hearth, Ruby, Princess Sapphire, and many more. I stood silently for a few moments, every pony seemed eager to hear what I had to say. I drew my eyes down to the book before me, or rather, it was a series of stone slates that simply stacked up and was held together with iron rings. I flipped back one slate to see my father's hoofprint and name; Scorch Phoenix.

"Hi..." I said aloud.

There were a few hushed laughs from the hall of ponies.

"If... if some pony were to tell me a few months ago that I would be standing here, being crowned King of the Ashen Fields, I'd say that they were wrong… that it would be either Wick or Pyre, my brothers, who would be named King." I began, placing my hoof over the imprint of my father. "I'm not ready to be King."

I turned the slates further back, seeing the line of King's that had come before. My grandfather, his father, and his father's father, up until I got to the very first slate where a rather faded mark of a hoof print remained with the name Smoke written beneath it.

"If that same pony were to tell me that I would have had to face my father in battle, to strike him down, claim the right to rule for my own, I'd say that it was impossible… my father is trapped in the Void; he could never get out." I continued turning several slates at once before reaching the blank slate that awaited my hoofprint. "I would never be able to defeat him."

I looked over at Wingston, who stood just off to the side of General Hearth, I knew deep down what I needed to say.

"As it turns out, it wasn't a pony that had told me this, but a very wise friend of mine, Wingston. I've known no pony longer than him, I've known no better consult than his, nor have I ever doubted his efforts to keep me true to myself. To have some pony who believes in you more than you do yourself, that is not something to be taken lightly, and it is the reason I'm standing here today." I explained.

I took a breath. Trying to remember to keep it simple and short.

"In these last few months I have learned a great many things. I've learned how to make friends, how to put trust in other ponies, how to fight for what is right, and... how it feels to lose those closest to you." I said pressing my hoof on the slate, the low hiss of my flames burning the rock beneath.

"This Kingdom owes a lot to its citizens for the horrors my father brought, and to those that it had forsaken. It was only by the good grace of our new friends that we have been given this chance to start anew, and for that I am thankful." I said writing my name down beneath my hoof print.

"I swear by the old Kings, that this Kingdom, that I, will defend all those that are threatened by darkness, that we will become the beacon for those that are lost, and I swear to never turn away any pony that cries for help." I said decisively looking down at the book that read 'Smolder Phoenix'.

"The things which I have here before promised I will perform and keep. To the end of my reign or life." I finished, closing the book and taking a deep breath.

I could hear the banner overhead unraveling, revealing my cutie mark, a smoldering pile of ash for all to see. The hall almost instantly erupted into applause and cheers. I was almost taken aback by the sheer noise of it all; it made me smile to see the enthusiasm of every pony. I felt Wingston limp up next to me, he beamed up at me.

"Well spoken, my King." Wingston congratulated me.

Royal Guard Ponies removed the table before us, bringing a small staircase for which I was to step off the platform and proceed to the front of Castle Char. My nerves suddenly came racing back, the cheers from every pony were appreciated but it did make it rather hard not to smile. I paraded myself down the aisle, catching the eyes of many ponies, namely Princess Sheva, and the Duke of Wellington who both seemed rather pleased with me.

The large doors of Castle Char slid open, revealing a sudden barrage of flashing cameras as I came striding out onto the landing for all to see. General Hearth stood off to the side; the Royal Guard Ponies kept the paparazzi pony's at bay and while a dozens of reporters shouted their questions at me. I gave a few casual waves, smiling all the while, wondering if all the flashing cameras would somehow sync up to be one giant white flash. Before turning back into the hall, I made it a point to look over at General Hearth. He nodded to me, looking very proud.

I had only just turned around when several ponies from the Main Hall were already upon me just waiting to introduce themselves; luckily it was Princess Sheva who reached me first.

"Congratulations are in order, for the new King Smolder." The zebra known as Princess Sheva said in rhyme.

"Slow to start and quick to finish. Why can't more royal speeches be like that?" The donkey known as the Duke of Wellington asked.

"I'm glad that you could make it." I said politely, noticing the gold trim on their cloaks.

"Lord Smolder, I am Belinda Trotwit, Duchess of the Trottingham, and I must say that these cloaks are just simply divine." The Duchess said with a very throaty voice, whimsically twirling the cloak with her hoof in amusement.

"Yaks enjoy the blankets too!" The yak known as Prince Rutherford shouted next to the Duchess who seemed to nearly jump out of her hide.

"Capable of touching a Flame Pony, a grand idea if you ask me." Princess Sheva remarked admiring her own cloak.

"Well we aren't going to be getting all touchy feely now, are we?" The Duke asked as if he was about to gag.

"No one is forcing you to touch a Flame Pony, Frederick." The Duchess said to the Duke.

"Not yet, at least." The Duke grumbled folding his hooves.

I could see groups of other ponies gearing up to approach me after I was done speaking with the Royalty presently bending my ear. Feeling that every pony here deserved at least a moment of my attention I took a deep breath and prepared myself for the rest of the night.

"If every pony will excuse me, I must thank a great many other ponies for coming tonight." I said apologetically.

"Don't let them scare you. Look'em right in the eye and snarl if they get too chummy with you." The Duke warned me.

"Relax and have fun. The party has only just begun." Princess Sheva said to me.

"Do take care, Lord Smolder. Try not to get sucked into conversation with the Countess Eve Fang, she will tell you her life story before the night is over." The Duchess forewarned me.

"Yaks recommend shouting your words!" Prince Rutherford offered shouting directly at me.

I nodded in agreement before excusing myself to meet with the blue trimmed ponies. Who seemed much more humbled by my presence then I was expecting. I suppose any pony that didn't know me personally would consider meeting a King a great honor but I was fresh out of the box and didn't really deserve some of the gasps I got when greeting fancy ponies. I started to realize that many of these ponies spoke with breathy voices, and I began to wonder if all ponies who enjoyed the finer things in life spoke like this.

"Smolder?" A familiar voice called out.

I turned to see Princess Sapphire approaching, the crowd of ponies parting for her.

"Hello, Sno-Princess Sapphire." I caught myself before saying it aloud for all to hear.

"If you have a moment I'd like you to meet my… parents." Princess Sapphire said looking a little uncomfortable.

"Sure." I said trying to sound eager at the opportunity.

"If I may, I would like to introduce you to Lord Tundra and Lady Frost of the Frozen North, my mother and father." Princess Sapphire announced stepping aside.

A mare and a colt, roughly the height of Princess Celestia strolled up to me. The crowd further backed away, allowing the privacy of the conversation between such esteemed Royalty to take place, but immediately began to whisper among themselves about the encounter.

"It is my honor to-" I began.

"So this is the little Flame Pony we've heard so much about!" Lady Frost exclaimed striding over and embracing me tightly.

"I have to admit, with a name like Smolder, I was picturing a much shorter pony. It's good to see that they grow them tall down here in the fields." Lord Tundra remarked in a jolly tone of voice.

"Thanks." I mumbled, feeling the tight hug of Lady Frost around me.

"He's got such a lovely shade of yellow in his fire. I tell you, it resembles the sun; so warm and inviting." Lady Frost mentioned gently stroking my fiery mane.

Something clicked inside me. I really wasn't sure what it was exactly. It was a hug, but just not any sort of hug. I felt a sense of security in her embrace, I felt safe and even loved. I leaned my head, resting it on her shoulder, I feel her arms tighten around me and I deep down I didn't want her to let go. I realized that this was the sort of hug only a loving mother could give.

"Mother!" Princess Sapphire hissed in embarrassment.

"Give the poor thing a chance to breath, dear." Lord Tundra remarked with a laugh.

"Where are my manners? I just haven't seen such an adorable Flame Pony in almost two decades. Don't you think he's adorable, sweetheart?" Lady Frost asked releasing her grip on me and turning to Princess Sapphire.

I could see Sapphire flush a light purple, unable to agree or disagree with me being an adorable pony, which meant that she had yet to tell her parents about the arranged marriage being refuted.

"That's our Snowflake. She never could speak around handsome colts." Lady Frost said amusingly.

I stood looking rather dumbfounded while Sapphire flushed a deeper purple, quickly taking her mother's arm, as well as her father's and pulled them away from me.

"It was nice meeting you, Smolder darling." Lady Frost said aloud.

"Perhaps we can have a colt to colt talk later, what do say, Smolder?" Lord Tundra asked curiously.

"Dad!" Sapphire hissed tugging on his arm to try and get him to stop talking.

I watched Lord Tundra and Lady Frost smile down at Sapphire who still seemed pretty embarrassed by the whole encounter. Slowly the fancy ponies started to surround me once more, while the Royal Ice Pony family moved further away, but I still felt very much alone. Silently wishing to have my own parents here to get embarrassed about. To be congratulating Wick or Pyre on their coronation, pledging my loyalty to them, and just being able to spend time with them. I tried to imagine them being here, sharing in this moment, trying to remember their voices, or at least their faces.

"Lord Smolder, what do you prefer caviar or fish eggs?" A fancy pony asked me.

"I... can't remember." I said.

PreviousChapters Next