• Published 25th Jul 2017
  • 487 Views, 1 Comments

Then the Storm Blows Cold - Llama the Kujo



The windigos return, and Twilight and her friends have to stop them!

  • ...
 1
 487

Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Celestia rehearsed the story in her head as she paced in front of her throne. Yes, that sounded right. She couldn't afford to mess this one up, not with what was at stake. Twilight appeared to have very little idea of what was actually on the line in this case.

The sound of her very large, tall, heavy double doors opening pulled her from her reverie and stopped her pacing. She looked up to see one yellow and one blue aura surrounding her doors as they passed over the stone floor and long, narrow red carpet leading to her throne.

The avatars of the Elements of Harmony entered, looking tired and bedraggled. Celestia would have let them rest, but time was of the essence. They had already spent most of a day in just traveling to Canterlot. “Twilight,” she said. “Thank goodness you're here.”

Twilight looked worried. “What was so important we had to come here in the middle of a friendship assignment from the Cutie Map?” Her voice sounded shaky.

Celestia softened her gaze and met Twilight's, sympathetic to her former student. “Do you remember the story I read to you just before your first Hearth's Warming Eve at my school?”

Twilight's eyes went a little wider. “A Hearth's Warming Eve Tale. So what Filigree said was true. She really is a descendant of Snowfall Frost.”

Celestia broke her eye contact with Twilight and looked out a stained glass window. “Yes. In fact, so are you, through your mother.” She paused a moment before adding, “For that matter, so is your student, Starlight Glimmer.”

She moved her gaze once more toward the six little ponies. Each was at a loss for words - even Pinkie Pie, the avatar of the Element of Laughter. Most of them were staring at Twilight. Celestia was sure that Twilight had read or told the story to each of them.

Twilight broke the silence first as a large grin graced her face. “I'm… a descendant… of Snowfall Frost?!” She pranced around giddily until realization had fully dawned. She looked at her former teacher and fellow princess with quizzical eyes. “She said we'd met before, but I didn't recognize her beyond a family resemblance with another stallion we met there.”

Celestia gazed deeply into Twilight's wet purple eyes. “You did meet, at least once, though I am not surprised that you do not remember. It was not long after you came to study at my school. She was your brother's age, as I recall.”

“Then the story…?” Twilight seemed to be seeking confirmation of what she'd already discovered.

“Yes, it tells of real events. This was while my sister and I still lived in the castle in the Everfree Forest. We were not aware of what was transpiring. 'Twas before my… before I became Nightmare Moon,” Luna said from behind Celestia. Celestia nearly jumped out of her skin; only centuries of practice meant she didn't show it. After all these years, Luna still had it.

Celestia continued. “This is why the spirits got involved as they did. You see, there is a legend that is older even than I - older even than Equestria. There used to be no windigos, but there were more alicorns than just the princesses. The Alicorns were as common a race as the pegasi or the earth ponies, and they were just as powerful as we princesses.”

“And because they were so powerful, able to control the sun and moon as well as many other things, some became hungry for even more power, as I once did,” added Luna. “They convinced many. As a group, they were unstoppable. They made earth ponies, unicorns, and pegasi their slaves. They reigned for centuries.”

Celestia could see the hurt in her former student’s eyes as they welled up with tears. “But they were stopped, right?” Twilight asked, seeming to beg for the right answer.

Celestia gave Twilight a soft, warm smile. “Yes,” she affirmed. “They were stopped.” She paused, thinking. “Nopony I recall meeting knew how, though.”

“But I still don't understand what this has to do with Filigree Frost and Foal Mountain,” Twilight said, her face betraying her confusion.

“Part of the legend says that when they were defeated, the Alicorns became vengeful spirits that fed on hate and distrust,” Celestia said cryptically, hoping Twilight would pick up on it.

Twilight's eyes went wide. “Windigos…” she muttered.

“You are correct, Twilight Sparkle,” Luna said softly. “As my sister has no doubt already told you, windigos are all too real. Every word in A Hearth's Warming Tale should be taken literally. However, the legend states that not only would the return of the windigos bring a future bathed in a blanket of eternal snow, but also that once they regained enough power, the Alicorns would return to once again enslave those they considered to be 'lesser’.”

Celestia saw realization flash in Twilight's eyes. “I have something else to tell you,” Twilight said. Celestia looked on, curious. “There was a unicorn in the village doing something that seemed to be making the storm worse last night,” Twilight continued. “We thought maybe he was controlling the clouds directly, but what if he was doing something to invite or feed the windigos?” she asked somberly.

“I have heard stories of such a spell,” Celestia said thoughtfully. “It is a spell much like the one Princess Cadance uses to spread love and friendship, but it does quite the opposite - it spreads hate, anger, and distrust.”

“Which feeds the windigos, which intensifies the storm,” Twilight almost mumbled, finishing the thought. Her eyes averted for a long moment, looking pensive. She then looked up at Celestia. “So how do we stop it?”

“That, Princess Twilight Sparkle, is for you to discover, not me. The map sent you and your closest friends, not me. You six are the right ponies for the job,” Celestia said with a wink. “Though, however much it may surprise you, my memory is not perfect. I would suggest searching the library in the castle Luna and I shared in the Everfree Forest. You may find a book that provides some more useful information.”

The six were turning to go when Luna stopped them. “Feel free to stop by the kitchens on the way out. I'm sure it's been a long trip.”

* * * * *

Twilight walked out of the palace, eyes sparkling at the thought of doing more research. She just loved libraries. Just the thought of all those books

“Are you okay, darling?” Rarity asked, pulling her from her thoughts.

She then noticed that she'd stopped walking. “Yes. Sorry,” she apologized as she resumed walking. “I haven't been able to visit the library in the Castle of the Two Sisters for quite a while, and I may have gotten a little excited.” Her cheeks were feeling warmer than usual.

“It's alright, dear,” Rarity said soothingly. “Each of us has something she loves that not everypony else necessarily does.” She coughed lightly. “One of yours just happens to be libraries, and we know that.”

“Thank you, Rarity,” Twilight responded with a warm smile. “I just hope we can find a way to stop Filigree Frost from allowing the windigos to return. I just don't think telling jokes and singing Hearth's Warming carols will cut it.”

“I'm sure it will help, though?” Rarity suggested. “But whatever it takes, we're all in it with you. Right, girls?” The other ponies agreed.

“Oh, thank you, girls. You all are the best friends I could ever ask for.” They all stopped and gathered for a hug.

* * * * *

Hoarfrost had been doing her best to do her part for the cause. Her sister had asked the purple unicorn to spread some distrust, and she didn't care how. So Hoarfrost had put the brain underneath her turquoise-highlighted azure mane to work telling all sorts of gossip.

She'd told Silver Pail that her sister was secretly stealing from her; she'd told Cherry Turnover that his best friend was telling lies behind his back; she'd told Thunder Tail that his best friend was avoiding him... Well, she'd told a lot of ponies a lot of things. None of it it was true, of course. Some of it could be true, though; she didn't know either way. She bared a toothy grin.

She had spent the better part of several days doing this. She could feel the air cooling even without Ebon's spell. His spell was helping, no doubt, but sometimes there just wasn't any acceptable substitute for good, old-fashioned gossip.

Hoarfrost stepped through the wicker door and gleefully asked, “What's next, dear Sister?”

Filigree just grinned.