• Published 23rd Jul 2017
  • 2,563 Views, 34 Comments

What the Left Hand is Doing - SSPeanutButter



Twilight is hearing voices in her head. Or more specifically one voice, and she likes what it has to say. She just has to make sure the voice stays in her head.

  • ...
1
 34
 2,563

A one sided conversation

Author's Note:

Big thanks to chuck-vic-norris for editing this. It wouldn't be readable without the help.
Sorry it's late, I am objectively an awful person.
Midnight's voice is now in bold. I'm only doing it from Twilight's perspective, because she doesn't change her voice. Example:

"You said it, not me."

"The sass today! I am a bad influence on you.

Another alternative could be this:

"You said it, not me."

"The sass today! I am a bad influence on you.

but, from memory, coloured words don't show up right on mobile. Let me no what you think.

The lock clicked open as Twilight opened her door. Spike ran in excitedly, but Twilight was less enthused. As she closed and locked the door behind her, she let out a sigh.

"Twice today, three times yesterday..."

"A record six times on Wednesday...

"This week was our worst yet, wasn't it?"

She sat down on the edge of the bed and slipped her shoes off.

"We've got to do something about this, or someone is going to realise something is wrong."

She pressed her hands to her face and groaned. The bedding bounced as she flopped backwards, her arms spread out like a starfish.

"Who do you think will figure it out first?

"Well, I think Rarity will be one of the first to realise there's a secret relationship, but I doubt she'll work out how weird it really is."

"True, and I think Rainbow already thinks we live a double life as a dominatrix.

She chuckled.

"It's as close to the truth as you'll get with her.

Her smile flattened.

"I think Applejack might have noticed something's up.

With that she bolted to her feet and began pacing the back and forth. Panic as clear on her face as it was in her head.

"What!? Applejack knows?"

"Shhh... Twiggles. No, Applejack doesn't know. I just think she's noticed how weird we've been acting over the last few days. On the plus side, she isn't going to bring it up in front of the others. She'll wait until it's just her and us.

Twilight's breathing steadied. She pressed her hand to her chest as her heartbeat calmed down.

"We still need to be careful. Applejack is a terrible liar. If she finds out, everyone would bombard her with questions until either A: She eventually crumbles and tells them what's going on, or more likely B: We get into a ridiculous situation that results with us telling everyone the truth."

There was a pause as both parties as both parties consider possible solutions to the problem at hand.

"We could kill her.

"No! Bad Midnight! No killing the friends!"

"I was joking and you know it! Also, 'No killing the friends'? Really?

"It was funnier that way, I can joke too you know."

Twilight took a deep breath in and relaxed.

"I don't think we need to worry about it for now. So long as we get things back under control, Applejack will probably ignore it. Fluttershy either won't notice or be too afraid to ask us."

"Pinkie could be a problem, though.

"Yes, but Pinkie exists in a state where she is simultaneously all possibilities until she decides to be one of them. There's a very real possibility that she already knows about us and is deliberately messing with us. I don't think it's worth stressing ourselves over."

"Did... you just describe Pinkie as a sentient quantum particle? You are a nerd.

"You said it, not me."

"The sass today! I am a bad influence on you.

"Maybe, but I like the new me."

"Aww, you make me blush.

"We still need to work on your 'public speaking' problem, though."

"You're right, but the only one of our friends we really need to worry about is Applejack.

"That may be true, but we still need to be careful. It wouldn't take much for one of them to get concerned."

"Yeah. Could you imagine how Sunset Shimmer would react to this?

"How would I react to this?"

Twilight's head spun round fast enough to give herself whiplash. There, in her lounge seat, rubbing Spike's belly, sat Sunset Shimmer.


*beeeeep* *beeeeeeeeeeep* *beeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-

Sunset reached into her pocket and shut off her phone's alarm. It was quarter to five, which meant she needed to get back to the hotel if she didn't want to be late for her shift.

"Hey girls!" She called out to her friends, who were still spread out across the park. They weren't really all that far away, so the shout was enough to startle them and make them stop what they were doing. Rainbow Dash cupped her hands around her mouth.

"What?!" She replied, using her hands as a makeshift megaphone.

Sunset rolled her eyes.

Very funny.

"I just wanted to tell you guys I've got to go. My shift starts at five." Sunset said in her casual speaking voice, not needing to project since everyone was already listening. She raised her hand to her forehead, in a gesture more expected from Rarity than Sunset. "Forgive me for wanting to say goodbye properly."

"Yeah, yeah, see ya later. AJ, let's get back to the game! I want make it a nice, round thirty-point lead." This remark earned her an elbow to the ribs from Applejack.

"First, you're only up four points, and second don't be rude."

Sunset could only laugh at Rainbow and AJ's antics. Once the others had said goodbye, she made her way back up the hill to her motorcycle. On the way up, she noticed a bag by the tree she had been at earlier.

"Is that... Twilight's bag?" She asked herself. "It's not like her to forget something like this, even more so when it has books in it."

She looked at her phone. It was twelve minutes to five.

Twilight's place isn't too far out of the way, and Fancy Pants probably wouldn't mind one or two minutes tardiness.

She tapped her chin. She didn't have to get it to her today, but at the same time, twilight would want it back sooner rather than later.

Better send a text just to be safe.

*Hey Fancy Pants. On my way now, just going to swing by a friend's place to drop off her bag. Might be a little late.*

She pressed send, and put the phone back in her pocket. She leaned over and picked up the bag. It definitely had books in it. If Fancy Pants needed her urgently, she would just drop it off tomorrow.

*Bzzt* *Bzzt*

Sunset checked the reply

*Hello Sunset. Don't rush, we've been having a slow day today. Be here when you can, there are a few bookings we are still waiting to check in.*

Cool. Twilight's place it is.

Sunset crossed the road to where her bike was parked. As she got closer, she noticed the slip of paper stuck to the windshield.

Oh good. Parking tickets are always welcome.

Sighing, she stuffed the ticket into her pocket. It could wait until tomorrow. She turned on the engine and pulled her helmet on. With a flick of her wrist, she was on the road.

With the hum of her bike beneath her and her helmet covering her ears, the world became silent to her. She was alone with her thoughts.

Twilight doesn't normally forget things. I mean, yeah, she's more than a little oblivious, but not forgetful.

The trees whipped by faster as she accelerated down the road, turning onto the Canterlot-Fillydelphia Friendship Expressway.

She was pretty flustered today, though. Maybe she just had a lot on her mind.

Cars flew past as she weaved through traffic.

Come to think of it, she's been acting strange for a while. She had just become more comfortable around us, and suddenly she's back to being nervous around us again.

Exit.

Took the first exit from the expressway without slowing down. Coming up the off ramp placed her clear on the other side of Canterlot.

What could it be? It would have to be pretty big.

Crush?

Relationship?

Maybe...


025, Golden Oaks Drive.

Sunset pulled into the driveway. It wasn't much, just a little one-bedroom house nestled between a couple of apartment buildings. Still better than most students living away from home could hope for

She took off her helmet and made her way to the door. Through the window she could see Twilight pacing back and forth, talking to herself.

Well, that's not a surprise.

Sunset knocked on the door, but got no response.

That is.

"Twilight!" She called out, but still got no response.

What is she talking about?

Sunset put her ear to the window to hear. It was quiet but she could make out a few words

"... kill her. No! Bad Midnight. No killing the friends."

Wait, Midnight? Isn't that what Pinkie was calling who Twilight turned into?

... This is going to be good.

Sunset ran back to her bike and pulled open the seat. In the compartment beneath, was a case of tools she thought she would never use again.

"Oooh lock picking, how I've missed you."

In a few seconds, she was in the house. Spike barked and ran up to her, but still Twilight didn't react to her presence. Luckily for Sunset, that meant she could listen to the rest of the conversation. She scooped Spike up in her arms and sat down on the seat, rubbing his belly.

"There's a very real possibility that she already knows about us and is deliberately messing with us. I don't think it's worth stressing ourselves over."

That sounds about right.

*Vrrt* *Vrrt*

Her phone vibrated in her pocket. Sunset fished it out and checked it. It was Fancy Pants. Apparently not only were they hit with a sudden flood of convention goers looking for last minute reservations, but Feather Duster called in sick. The urgency was punctuated by a very uncharacteristic HELP!

Right, work.

"...Could you imagine how Sunset Shimmer would react to this?"

Perfect.

Projecting her voice as much as she could without shouting, Sunset interrupted her monologue.

"How would I react to this?"

It did the trick. Twilight heel spun like she had just stepped on a spinning tile. Her eyes widened as her brain struggled to take in what she was seeing.

Then she started screaming.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-