• Published 21st Jul 2017
  • 288 Views, 1 Comments

Black, White and Sanguine - twow443



A lost, hunted colt does his best to survive in a changing Equestria

  • ...
 1
 288

Chapter 1

Scarlet rolled around a bit under his blanket, groaning in his sleep. “Nngh...five more minutes...”. No matter how he tossed and turned, a sharp pain persisted in his side. It happened every morning, and was always irritating to the little colt.

Eventually he opened his eyes with a yawn, sitting upright and rubbing them. “Geez...fine. I’m awake.” He pawed at his blanket in order to pull it off of him, placing a hoof on his horn. “Every morning...” With that, he pushed the cover off of the doorway and stepped out into the alley.

It was cool outside, which brought a light smile to Scarlet’s face. A growling sound alerted him to his state of hunger as he pressed a hoof to his belly. “I don’t think I have much left, actually.” He walked over to the wall directly behind his makeshift tent, running a hoof across it until pulling out a loose brick. He looked inside, seeing half a bottle of water and two pieces of bread.

“Damn it, that’s less than I thought.” Scarlet remarked to himself, sighing. “And I doubt the girls will be able to throw any bits my way. Guess that means no food until nighttime.” With a sigh, he pulled the food out, taking a seat and quietly eating it.

It took roughly five minutes for Scarlet to finish his small meal, sighing afterwards. “Right, I’d better get moving. Maybe if I’m early, they won’t mind giving me something small.” He walked over to the tent, reaching inside and grabbing a brown cloak. “I’d better take the backways tonight, I don’t feel like getting into a fight today.” Zipping the tent up, he replaced the brick and the wall and set out from the alleyway, making sure his cloak was on tight...


Manehatten was the perfect city if you wanted to get lost, or stay unnoticed. After spending the two years he had in the city, it was a piece of cake for Scarlet. Back alleys, abandoned buildings and apartments, he knew plenty of ways to get around the city without being noticed. It also helped that he had been able to save enough bits for his cloak, which masked the telling color of his green coat. He looked down as he walked, not making eye contact with anyone.

I don’t think I’m late... Scarlet’s mind rolled around as he walked down the busy Manehatten street, making sure to not draw attention to himself. He looked up at the towering buildings, allowing himself a small moment to enjoy the sight before continuing on.

His walk was uneventful, which was fine with him. He walked up upon Sweet Cuts, a cutting salon. Right...fix the cloak, check the mane... He ran a hoof through his red and black mane, shrugging. “I think it’s fine.” He squared his shoulders, walking into the shop.

Scarlet had realized a long time ago that he didn’t like other living beings. But one thing he had learned how to do, was fake his emotions. As the door shut behind him, he plastered a real looking smile on his face as he saw the employees of the shop.


Scarlet slightly yawned as he walked down the street, having worked for around nine to ten hours. The store wasn’t technically allowed to have someone of his age working, but the regulars and the store owners liked to have him around, and he did do good work. Nice haul of tips today, almost thirty-five bits! He allowed himself a real smile as he thought to himself, deciding to take a shortcut though one of the alleys. “Probably gonna be able to stock up for a good few days now, awesome! Need to have more days like this.”

He stopped short as he saw the end of the alley, tilting his head in confusion. “Oops, I must be more tired than I thought. This one has a dead end.” He mentally berated himself, turning around and promptly bumping right into a unicorn. “H-hey!”

“Well, if it isn’t my favorite piggy bank.” The figure sneered as Scarlet quickly backed up from him. “Oh, relax. I’m not going to bite.”

Scarlet narrowed his eyes as two more ponies walked up alongside the stallion, another unicorn and a pegasus. “What do you want, Flint? I’m busy. And where’d your tagalong human go?”

“Ah, him.” Flint rolled his eyes a bit and smirked. “He was nothing but a liability, so in the end...” He raised his hoof, drawing it across his throat.”

Scarlet glanced behind him, taking note of a fire escape halfway up the side of the building. “Never gonna understand how you got cronies to follow you.”

“What, Rider and Lapis? Nah, they’re my friends. And besides, I have plenty of human friends. You could use some.” Scarlet rolled his eyes as the ponies in question snickered to each other. “Now, I believe you know why I’m here.”

Scarlet slightly inhaled, shaking his head a bit to make sure the pouch of money was firmly tied to his mane. “You’re up past your bedtime?”

“This one’s got a mouth on him.” Lapis flicking one of her wings, smirking. “Better watch it, colt. Unless you want us to teach you a lesson in respect.”

Scarlet huffed a bit. “I don’t have time for you tonight, Flint. Move.”

“See, it’s been a few weeks since we’ve seen each other, Scarlet.” Flint took a step towards him, causing him to reflectively step backwards. “Now, I’ve been pretty generous with you, not charging you for staying in my neighborhood for around...two weeks now?” He stopped walking, looking behind him to make sure that Rider and Lapis followed him. “I know those girls in the shop paid you, kid. I want my cut.”

“I’m not part of your gang, Flint.” Scarlet snapped, his eyes flashing. “Screw off, I need it to survive.”

The older stallion sighed, suddenly flashing his horn and shooting the ground in front of Scarlet with magic. “Don’t fuck with me, Scarlet. Remember the last time.”

Scarlet jumped backwards from the shot, glancing upwards again. “I might be able to make this...” His mind ran as he looked back at the approaching ponies. Making a snap decision, his own horn flashed as he teleported up to the bottom of the fire escape. “Flint, cut it out!”

“Last chance, Scarlet.“ Flint nudged Rider in the side, both of their horns lighting up and pointing at the colt. “Just drop it down and nobody gets hurt.” Scarlet licked his lips, turning and starting to bolt up the stairs. “For the love of...Rider! Light it up!” At that, they both started rapidly firing magical bolts at the fire escape.

Scarlet yelped as he dashed up it, ducking under bolts as they flew all around him. They slammed into the wall of the building and the fire escape as well, rocking it each time a missile struck. Panic started to come across him as he realized just how perilous his situation was. Damn it, this thing is going to fall off the building! The thought spurred him on, his hooves clattering against the metal steps as he ran.

Flint gritted his teeth as they both stepped closer to the wall. He pointed Rider to aim for the supports, himself continuing to fire at the running colt. “Almost...”

Scarlet stumbled as the fire escape shook and started to fall off of the wall. Jumping as hard as he could, he caught the edge of the building right as the unicorns shot it straight off of the building. He didn’t stop for a moment, pulling himself up onto the roof. H-haaa...gotta move! His thoughts turned into a scream of pain as a well-aimed firebolt struck him in the side, sending him flying and setting his cloak on fire.

“Heh, nice shot Flint.” Lapis smirked, patting her leader’s side. “Want me to grab him?”

Flint nodded, rubbing his horn. “Just grab the money from him, kick him around if you want. This’ll teach him to play games with me.” Lapis nodded, taking off into the air.

Scarlet tore the burning cloak off of his body, managing to get to his hooves and limp to the opposite side of the roof. He cursed, his small wings buzzing. “Stupid things! Why do I have these if I can’t use them?”

“Oh my...” The colt gasped, whipping around as Lapis landed on the building. “You’re...you’re an alicorn?! Wow, so the rumors around the city are true! Shit, and we were only bugging you for small stuff? You’re probably the green thief that’s been terrorizing Manehatten, aren’t you?”

Scarlet growled at her. “Back off, Lapis. I’ll hurt you, I’m serious.”

The pegasus rolled her eyes, smirking. “Yeah, because you’re so intimidating.” She stalked the little colt, both of them eventually standing at the side of the roof. “Well, I know how to fly, colt. Do you?”

Scarlet ignored her taunts, slightly licking his lips as he glanced at the side of the roof. Lapis walked towards him, continuing to verbally harass him. “Come on, Scarlet. Don’t be difficult, I’m sure Flint’ll go easy on you if you just come back with me...”

The young colt realized that he was running out of options...and space. Glancing behind him, he noticed the end of the roof coming closer as she stalked him backwards. A sudden, ludicrous idea hit him as he looked to the left at how close to the edge they were on that side as well. Throwing caution to the wind, he suddenly darted right at her with a yell. Lapis shrieked as Scarlet jumped at her and wrapped his forelegs around her neck, taking advantage of her surprise and throwing the both of them off the side of the building.

“SCARLET, YOU BRAT!” Lapis screamed as they both went tumbling off towards the ground, a vacant lot being their eventual destination beneath them. Scarlet twisted himself around onto her back, clamping his hindlegs around one of her wings. Lapis snarled and yelled as she tried to break their fall with her unburdened wing, the only thing accomplished by her frantic flapping is spinning the two of them around in midair. Unable to grab her other wing, Scarlet gritted his teeth, his horn beginning to glow as he does his best to tap into his mana.

“Come on magic, please work..” Scarlet pleaded within himself as he pointed his horn downwards towards the base of her wing. He dug his hooves into her side as he managed to finally cast the spell, firing a bolt of magic directly towards it.

“CR-RRACCK!” With a sickening crunch, the bone at the base of her wing shattered due to the force of the magical blow. Lapis screamed and flailed herself around, the two of them spinning even harder and in the opposite direction. Scarlet almost found himself flung off of her as she flipped, crying out in surprise. He dug his hooves into her side again as he slid along her body, glancing downwards in a panic. His eyes darted towards the ground, very briefly not paying attention to Lapis. That proved to be a mistake as he finally looked back up, Lapis taking the moment to smash one of her forehooves into his face and knock him off of her.

Scarlet’s body pointed downwards as he flew away from her. As the ground quickly approached the two of them, his quick eyes noticed a partially open dumpster in the far corner of the lot. He reached back for his mana, using the last that he could focus on to teleport towards it. The spell was cast successfully, but his body still retained the momentum from the fall. He reappeared inside of the dumpster, slamming into the side of it and sending it into a wall. The top of the dumpster fell shut with a bang as he rolled around on the bottom of it. As his breathing came to a close, he heard a sickening crunch from outside of the dumpster...then silence.

Scarlet curled himself up as he struggled to control his breathing. The side of his body ached and the area where his horn connected to his head was sore to the touch. He stiffened as a scream of rage echoed through the lot.

“Who...who the fuck did this to you?!” Scarlet slowly crawled up the inside of the dumpster, opening the lid just enough to peek out. Sure enough, he noticed the rest of the gang standing around Lapis. Flint himself was stomping around the group of ponies, his eyes wide and filled with rage. “Of course, that damn colt. Where is he? Where is he?! I’ll kill him! I’ll tear him apart!”

Scarlet blinked as he noticed a human kneeling down by the fallen pegasus, her arms shifting as she prepared to pick her up. “We can’t worry about him right now. We have to get Lapis to a hospital, or she’s going to die!” The enraged unicorn didn’t even pay her any mind, still wildly looking around the lot in search of Scarlet. “Later, Flint! He’s not going to get far. We know this city front and back!”

The rage in Flint’s eyes was so palpable, Scarlet thought that he wasn’t going to listen. A sigh of relief managed to escape him as he finally turned around. “...Rider, help Cassie pick her up. The rest of us are going to get Lapis some help. The rest of you, search every one of that brat’s hideouts and bring him to me. I just want him alive, I don’t need all of his bones intact.”

The human that Scarlet figured had the name Cassie, slightly grunted as she stood up with Lapis, her and the other two dashing towards the main street. The rest of the group, around five or so, left in different directions. Scarlet didn’t dare to move until the last bit of galloping had stopped echoing through the area.

Scarlet closed the lid, sliding back down and leaning with his back against one of the sides. “I can’t leave now...they’re all on high alert. I’m dead if they find me...I’ll wait until night. Yeah...when night comes, I’ll grab my stuff and leave. Maybe they won’t find me if I travel for a few days...”

An unnoticed tear rolled down his face as he curled into a ball, lying on his uninjured side. I’ll miss this place...it was nice when it lasted...Gonna have to tell the girls at the store... His scattered thoughts slow as he drifted into a light doze, too worried and afraid to rest properly.

Author's Note:

So yeah, first story in years. I have another one that I'm planning to get out soon, guess we'll find out if it's any good. I hope you enjoy the read!

Comments ( 1 )

the apocalyptic Trainfall

:trixieshiftleft: :trixieshiftright:

Login or register to comment