• Published 20th Jul 2017
  • 1,527 Views, 94 Comments

Sentry at the Charge - Tumbleweed



In volume 3 of the Flash Sentry Papers, it's up to Flash Sentry and Special Agent Golden Harvest to save Equestria from another Changeling invasion ... whether Flash likes it or not.

  • ...
4
 94
 1,527

Some Notes on the Text

The Times of Twilight, as I have noted before, were a time of great unrest in Equestria and the lands beyond. And yet, despite the ... complex history that played out between Equestria and her satellite states, many history textbooks reduce the conflicts of the era to simple morality plays.

On the one hoof, I must admit that friendship is indeed magic, and the efforts of Princess Twilight and her cohorts are well worth commending. On the other, after an in depth study of history, it's sadly apparent that some problems simply cannot be solved through hugs and declarations of loyalty. Indeed, there are certain schools of scholarship that conclude the 'friendships' between Princess Twilight Sparkle and entities such as Nightmare Moon or Discord are, in fact, thinly veiled allegories for the oaths of fealty Princess Twilight forced from her conquered foes.

Personally, I find both perspectives overly simplistic. History is a complicated thing. It is far too easy to lapse into idealism or cynicism, depending on one's sources. Which, in turn, makes first-hand accounts such as the Flash Sentry Papers even more valuable. Despite our sometimes idealized history, there has always been a need for certain ponies to get their hooves dirty in service to crown and country. For all his cynicism (and self professed cowardice), Flash Sentry provides an honest perspective on certain historical events that is simply unmatched by any other first hand sources.

(It goes without saying that Princess Twilight Sparkle has not yet replied to my inquires as to corroborate Sentry's accounts. Not that I would let such a lapse in scholarship count against a monarch who's so famed for her patronage of academia. I'm a better pony than that. Really).

With this in mind, I humbly present the third volume of the Flash Sentry Papers, detailing the events and aftermath of the second Battle of Canterlot.




-George MacIntosh Fresian.