• Published 1st Sep 2017
  • 3,419 Views, 996 Comments

Into the Storm: The Flight of Firefly - Firesight



Before the Wonderbolts, there were the Bolt Knights. And before Rainbow Dash, there was Firefly. The story of Rainbow Dash's ancestor, the founding of the Wonderbolts, and the outbreak of the Great Pony/Gryphon War.

  • ...
8
 996
 3,419

PreviousChapters Next
Rally and Recover: 6 - Infiltrator

Dear readers—

As Fell Flight and the Society of Omega Veterans continue to review Office of Owl records regarding the fate of Outposts Omega and Black, occasionally engaging in very loud and heated debates over what to do, I have yet again received a letter with no return address.

'Twas delivered via what I can only describe as special courier, this time penetrating school security to leave a series of scrolls on my classroom desk with those who left them both arriving and departing unseen. Their contents are what you are about to read, as ‘twould seem our changeling friends have more of their own war stories to share.

I have forwarded these and an attached request to the Equestrian Intelligence Service and the Gryphon Kingdom’s Council of Crows, though I suspect they will have no more success than previously in tracking a race for whom stealth is a way of life, and whose every attribute and instinct is keyed towards remaining hidden in plain sight.

Nevertheless, ‘twill be shared here in this greater tale, for two reasons: first and foremost, it deserves to be, for the at-times vital role the Changelings played. And second, just as my story cannot be told without those of my friends, neither can Equestria’s without those of her allies, both undercover and overt.

This race was one of the former, and perchance by sharing their tales, we can begin lifting the veil on this mysterious and secretive species, and help draw them out of the shadows. Thus, I invite the Changeling named Lycovenato—who would later be known to ponies as the earth pony soldier Bramble Tracker—to continue his story.

—Captain Firefly
Bolt Knight Captain Emeritus
Military Tactics and History Instructor
Equestrian Officer Academy
Canterlot


Gryphon Empire - Mosclaw
Location Undisclosed
September 2nd, 1139 AC (Year 305 of of Her Majesty Lepidoptes IV’s Reign)
2245 hours

The journey from my humble cabin to the capital had been long and, for the most part, uneventful.

We had passed by a single patrol of Talons along the highway leading to the capital, and they had merely given us three, who were under the cover of gryphon hunters at the time, a passing nod before moving along. ‘Twas an hour after sunset when we could see the faint lights of the capital after reaching the top of a hill.

“With the war having begun, I’m not too surprised with the lack of patrols out in the countryside,” commented ‘Mantis’, the chattier of my two-changeling escort of Silencers. Mantis was a fairly common name among changelings, but I had a strong suspicion ‘twas just an alias he was using. Most Silencers, as far as I understand, spend most of their lives living in obscurity to protect themselves and their families. Silencers rarely made any enemies that would survive long enough to seek revenge, though one could never be too careful, especially in the land where the Office of Owls and their Raven assassins might be lurking around every corner.

“War is the normal state of the Empire, and this time, it’s on another continent entirely. They have no reason to expect Equestrian agents operate here, so with any luck ‘twill stay that way for some time,” replied Reduviis, who like his partner, was probably using an alias, though an admittedly less common one.

If I had to guess, with the way he carried himself and the general air between the two, he held seniority despite them both being around the same age. The Silencers had no real ranking system that was known outside of the Queen and her trusted council’s knowledge, so I could only assume this was the case.

We were eventually walking through the dark alleys of the capital city’s less than glamorous districts. Before long we came to a dead end, the only thing of note being a rather ramshackle building, the sputtering flames of a torch sconce revealing a single drunken tiercel who clearly had seen better days, sitting on the stone steps.

My two escorts did not even slow their stride as they approached the tiercel. The drunkard blinked blearily as the two Silencers stood before him, and he leered at them before letting out a slurred, “Wha’ you three bastards wan’, eh?” He took a pull from a tin flask, rum dribbling down the side of his beak. “This is me property, so sod off, a’fore I give ya wha’s comin’ to-”

“Brush the cobwebs from your eyes, Oseidus. It’s us,” replied Reduviis, who knocked the flask out of the drunkard’s claws.

The tiercel blinked, and I saw the faint flexing and subtle gesturing of claws between the two.

You’re late. Thought you’d both got caught by the Owls! “Crows’ beaks, wha’ y’go and do that fer?” He growled in equal parts inebriation and anger.

Necessary detour; dragonfire message from Her Majesty. “Lay off the drink, you old buzzard. ‘Tis going to send you to an early grave before long,” Reduviis said with disdain in his tone.

“You damned…” You mean him? A flicker of Oseidus eyes on me before he blinked lazily at Reduviis.

Yes. You… heard the news of the Princess?

A longer pause, then a weak gesture from Oseidus. Yes.

“‘Twould be unwise to pick a fight you can’t win, Oseidus,” Manits said with an amused smirk as he placed a claw over the blade strapped to his belt. Can we pass?

Go on.

The apparent guard stumbled over himself and picked up his flask, “You’d be dead for tha’, if’n I wasn’t already piss’d up!” He spat on the ground and stepped aside. “Rent’s due in a week, by the way, and don’t be late with it this time or I’ll get the guards to break your doors down and drag you to the debtor’s prison!”

We didn’t even give him a reply as we pushed past him and made our way through the rickety entryway. The interior was musty and clearly neglected. A single hall with half-rotted doors lining either side indicated this was a boarding house of sorts, and the drunkard must have been the landlord.

That was the cover that the changeling standing outside was using, at least.

Mantis moved ahead, pulled a key out of his rucksack, and unlocked the door to one of the rooms. We entered an equally musty bedroom with rotting straw bedding, moth-eaten curtains, and a precariously cracked ceiling that looked ready to collapse at a moment’s notice.

“Not what I was expecting…” I murmured to myself, trying not to gag on the stenches that assailed my gryphon nostrils.

“Sorry, but Her Majesty wanted to have the main gate of the hive look as uninviting and unlikely as possible, and what better place than a neglected boarding house run by a drunken lowlife who makes things as unpleasant as possible?” Mantis said with the faintest of chuckles and a smirk. “Right… uhm…” He faced one of the walls and his smirk fell, giving way to a confused frown.

“That one,” said Reduviis with a sigh, pointing to a nondescript looking brick, “then go two spaces down and three left and four right, then-.”

“Oh, I remember now! Right! Thanks.” Mantis replied with an embarrassed chuckle. “Perchance I’ve been out in the field too long. ‘Tis been a while since I’ve been here.”

Mantis’ horn lit, and he pressed it against the brick in question before tracking it along a rather complex pattern of the surrounding bricks. It took almost a minute before there was a sudden pop in my ears and a brief, subtle spike in the magical presence of the room.

Mantis turned his attention to a floorboard, pressed down on it with a hoof, and suddenly what had once been rotting wood dissolved before my eyes and took the shape of a metal trapdoor that looked to have been created by the best blacksmiths in the Empire.

Reduviis must have noticed my expression, and gave a rare smile. “Welcome home, Lycovenato. Our Queen awaits.”


Before continuing, methinks I should take a moment to better explain how the Lepidoptes Hive managed to survive in what many would think to be one of the least desirable places to set up our hive’s headquarters.

Firstly, we had been there for nearly three hundred years, arriving only a few decades before the gryphons first erected the Citadel itself. Whilst Queen Scylla Lepidoptes IV had already ruled for over two centuries by the time of these events, her mother and her mother before her had been living among the gryphons and ponies for far longer.

—Lycovenato

We’ve lived among them for almost two millennia from what our records state. My great-grandmother, Scylla Lepidoptes I, had left her own hive after a rather heated civil conflict that was based on two contrasting ideals regarding changelings living among other races. Their Queen had rather… unpleasant beliefs regarding the other creatures of this land, and we have had little contact with that hive since.

—Queen Scylla Lepidoptes IV

Thank you, Your Majesty; even I am surprised to learn this! Methinks I will be the first to admit that I know little of our species’ history outside of the general things taught to every grub, but a lot of that is mixed in with creation myth, and I’ve never been the most pious changeling, even in my younger days.

As I was saying, our hive had existed beneath Mosclaw for nearly three centuries, undetected by the gryphons above ground. We accomplished this task through a combination of constant vigilance and magical wards—strong but subtle spells that subconsciously persuaded possible intruders to veer away from any entrances—and planting a few trusted and able changelings within the Empire’s higher ranking authorities, so as to keep any possible city expansion from encroaching on our hive.

Mind you, these days the old hive is in ruins. ‘Twas abandoned not long after the war broke out in Equestria, and in a rather hasty fashion due to events that will be touched upon later. Any who would find the hive these days would find nothing but moldering halls and vacant underground caverns, and little else.

At one point though, the Lepidoptes Hive was a rather grand spectacle, at least to any changeling. ‘Twas a place that, despite having never visited previously, felt much like home to me.

—Lycovenato


The trapdoor lead down a winding staircase of carved stone, lit only by the occasional magic lamp fastened to the wall. Despite being beneath the earth, however, there was a noticeable lack of dank mildew odor, and fresh, magically-charged air filled my lungs with every breath I took.

Methinks ‘twas likely an intentional feature when the original architects of the hive were creating this staircase, I imagine. ‘Twas perchance another advanced bit of spellwork, such as that of the concealment that hid the trapdoor.

We must have traversed several hundred feet downward before we reached a level plane of stone, the sound of it beneath our hooves softly echoing along the walls. We had shed our covers shortly after entering the underground passage, as Reduviis had assured me we were well past the point of needing them now.

The stone hall we walked through lead us to a grand and opulent set of double-doors, which appeared to be carved of pure emerald, though I could clearly tell 'twas a mixture of changeling molding work and stone masonry that had created them. Depictions of two long vines sprouting from the top of a germinating seed before encircling it were on either of the two doors, and above the seed and vines was a heart, enveloped in a halo of light: the symbol of the World Soul.

“Halt!” called out a voice, though even I could not see or detect any presence in the area.

Mantis rolled his eyes, which even in the dim lighting I could tell was done with clear intention of being seen. “For the love of the Hive Mother, let us through, Rachnia.”

Five changelings, seemingly walking out of the shadows of the wall themselves, approached us. A stern looking female with scars covering her face and wearing chipped but clearly well-maintained armor of a dark blue hue stepped forward. “Silencer Reduviis. Silencer Mantis. Good to see you two made it back in one piece from the border.” Her voice was rough and commanding, but lacked any hostility or ill intent.

Reduviis stepped forward, and the two shared a brief bow of mutual respect. “Captain, I trust all is still well here?”

Rachnia’s stony demeanor fell for a brief moment, giving way to a flash of sorrow. “...aside from the news of Her Highness? Yes… all is well.”

“Ah.” Reduviis sighed, something I was beginning to relate to his way of showing sympathy towards others. “I had sent a message via dragonfire and crystal communications to Her Majesty, and she in turn gave us some last minute orders. We had to make a brief detour to pick up our friend, here.” He gestured towards me, indicating for me to approach. “Captain, this is Lycovenato. Lycovenato, this is Rachnia Silkweave, Captain of Her Majesty’s Royal Guard.”

I gave a low bow, which she met with one that was above my own. “Well met, Lycovenato. Her Majesty informed me to expect your arrival…” She paused for a moment to take in my appearance. “Forgive me, but… you’re not quite what I was expecting.”

Methinks I took that with less offense than I might have previously. “These past few months have been far from what I was expecting, too, Captain. I wouldn’t normally be found here, I imagine,” I replied dryly with a wry smile.

Her own smile quickly faded, being covered once more by her stony expression. “You have my sincerest apologies for the circumstances, Lycovenato. Her Majesty is expecting you. The sooner you speak with her, the sooner we can move forward with our hive’s preparations and leave Mosclaw.”

“Of course,” I acknowledged, giving another bow.

The Guard parted ways whilst two of them opened the double doors with their magic. What greeted us was a series of halls and stairs, all made of the same green casing and stonework with blue and green magical flames. The green casing worked into the stone itself gave off a faint luminescence, resembling veins of emerald blood flowing through a living creature.

I followed Mantis and Reduviis as they lead me through the complex network. We crossed paths with dozens upon dozens of other changelings, both military personnel and civilians. The hive was abuzz with activity; a sense of urgency and purpose surrounding everyone we passed.

A purpose that quickly became clear as I observed supplies and crystals being stowed, and—far more ominously—eggs being secured from the hatchery, placed in magical incubators to be ready for travel—a dangerous operation for them even in the best of circumstances. “Is it true? Are we really abandoning the hive?” I asked.

“Correct,” Reduviis replied grimly without turning to face me. “With the war going on and… with the discovery of the late Princess Plexippa by the Empire, our Queen has decided to move forward with Operation Annelid. We’re creating a tunnel as we speak that will lead us well outside the capital’s line of sight. Once we have it completed, our hive will leave for our secondary base of operations until we are certain ‘tis safe to return.”

“And the younglings?” I motioned back to where the eggs were being carefully tended.

He hesitated. “‘Tis our hope that with careful preparation, the journey will be short and swift enough to not harm them.”

‘Twas little I could say to that except whisper a silent prayer to the Hive Mother for their safety. Eventually we stood before a second, larger set of double-doors depicting an identical set of symbols and were greeted once more by a small squad of Guards. Reduviis again greeted the leading officer of the group; this time the exchange was brief and we were promptly let through with only a warning to show proper respect to Her Majesty, though I imagine this was mostly directed towards me.

As we entered, the first thing I noticed was the ambience from the lighting. What had been dim shades of blue and green throughout the halls of the hive now gave way to additional hues from violet and pink lamps. A plush carpet of deep crimson stretched out before us, leading to a raised dais several steps above the ground. A large, if rather simple-looking, throne was seated at the top platform, whilst on either side of the carpet was a shallow dip in the floor where a stream of water ran parallel to the carpeted path before draining into the ground below. The water’s source was bubbling up from small fountains on either side of the throne, and I found myself bowing before I fully took in the figure seated on it.

“Reduviis. Mantis. It does my heart well to see you two return safely,” spoke a matronly voice that instantly filled my own heart with ease.

“Your Majesty,” greeted the two Silencers in unison, bowing as low as I had.

“Rise, please,” said our queen, whose voice remained calm and yet easily heard over the burbling of the water that filled the throne room.

We rose, and I finally took the time to take in her appearance.

She was as resplendent as my father had described her to be. Her mane and tail were of a deep, royal blue color; her eyes a striking, verdant green. A pair of fangs were visible along her motherly smile, and a simple crown of obsidian black that matched her carapace rested on her head. She wore a layered set of blue and violet robes that trailed behind her as she made her way down the steps of the dais to meet us.

Without prompt, we stepped forward, the ever vigilant eyes of numerous Guards watching us from either side of the throne room. We stopped short, once more bowing for a moment as Her Majesty met our bows with a slight dip of her head.

When I met her gaze, her eyes softened considerably as she whispered to me, “I had hoped when we first met that… that we would have the honor to greet each other not as queen and subject, but as a mother and son.”

I said nothing, my eyes closing for a moment as the face of Plexippa rushed back to the forefront. But before my mind could drift down the dark path it had for the past few hours, I felt a soft pressure on my shoulder. I looked up to see Her Majesty gently resting a hoof there, smiling sadly.

“She truly loved you, Lycovenato. Her words were as earnest as if she had spoken them to me in person,” My Queen stated softly. “Please know that I shall honor her memory and continue to treat you as though you were my own family.”

“...Your Majesty… I…”

Words failed me, and I found myself unable to give voice to the pain that was tormenting me. Mercifully, she continued to fill in the silence that I could not. “I have no wish to cause you additional pain. As you’ve no doubt had a long and trying day, I bid you to rest for now. Methinks I shall speak with you tomorrow, my dear changeling, and discuss your training for the mission that lies ahead.”

I gave another bow, and before long was escorted to a cot by one of Her Majesty’s attendants. Fatigued and emotionally drained as the face of Plexippa danced yet again on the edge of my consciousness, I quickly fell into a dreamless sleep, the day’s events finally taking their toll on me.

*****

I’m afraid most of the training I went through in the day that followed is still classified, so both it and my assessment will remain more or less removed from the story. I can at least state that Her Majesty was present for my combat and infiltration assessment, as well as my knowledge exams of Equestria and the Empire.

After a grueling two weeks’ worth of teaching and training fit into but fifteen hours—something our well-developed mental and restoration arts allow for their abilities to rapidly impart knowledge and under certain circumstances, even slow down our perceptions of time itself—in a routine that Silencers often referred to as ‘Breaking in the Greenhorns’, I was deemed to have met requirements for my assignment by both the queen and my drill instructors. I was fitted for barding shortly afterwards.

“That bow on the table over there,” said the changeling quartermaster who was going over my armor to make sure it fit me properly, “are you going to take that with you?”

“I had planned to, yes,” I replied, turning to the recurve bow that was currently on a table nearby. “My father had taught me how to make them when I was younger, and this one has served me well for a few years now.”

The quartermaster let out a grunt, the smallest of smirks on his face as he gave a satisfactory nod before stepping away. “Aye, ‘tis a fine bow; got to have a look at it myself. You definitely put some care into creating it. What kind of wood did you use? Elm?”

“North Equestrian Elm, yes, from a time when my father and I traveled through Equestria.”

The quartermaster’s smirk grew, “Heh, a fine choice; can’t find a better wood for a reasonable price these days, and definitely not in Aresia, unless it’s smuggled over the border.” He gave my side a firm bump with a hoof, pleased by the dull thud from hitting my barding. “You’re all set. Don’t go getting yourself killed out there so quickly, now. My brother’s the blacksmith and armorer ‘round here, and he’d be devastated if his armor failed to keep you safe.”

“I’ll do my best, then,” I replied with a nod, taking my bow in my magic and sheathing both it and the quiver on my back. Once my weapons were secured and ‘safed’, as my trainers put it, I made my way back to the throne room, where Her Majesty awaited me.

Upon entering, Queen Scylla gave me an appraising look at my new warrior persona before letting a smile spread across her features. “You are now a true soldier and infiltrator. And for it, you remind me much of your father.”

I blinked in surprise. “You knew my father personally?”

She nodded, her smile growing. “Indeed, I did. Clavulus was an exceptional soldier and scout. Perchance a bit absent-minded when not on duty, but your mother seemed to find it endearing.”

I smiled, finding myself nodding in agreement. “Yes, he was a loving father, but I fear that he’d forget to disguise himself some days if I didn’t remind him, Hive Mother rest his soul.”

There was a moment of silence as My Queen studied me close. “I’ve had my best agents map out three possible routes for you to take through the northern straits that allows passage onto the Equestrian continent. It… will be dangerous, but ‘twould seem we’ve found safe enough routes that will allow you to avoid most of the patrols. I cannot emphasize enough how careful you must be once you cross into Equestria, though.” She paused to let her words sink in.

“The Gryphons’ plans clearly state that they have a sizeable amount of soldiers still waiting to cross over and help reinforce the invading forces. Tempting though it may be, do not attempt to take the form of a gryphon soldier as they are alert for such things after our theft of their war plans, and are scanning their soldiers regularly,” she warned me, reminding me of what I’d already been told repeatedly by my trainers. But repetition never hurt.

“Do what you must to keep yourself safe. Take the form of wildlife, rocks; whatever you must to stay alive before reaching Equestria. Once you reach the city of Detrot, report to Equestrian Army Base Basalt with the name ‘Bramble Tracker’. My agents in the pony lands already have a complete physical profile made for you.” She passed me a scroll.

“You’re coming back early from your scheduled leave to Coltucky. Your original unit was stationed at Outpost Blue on the border and lost in the first day of the attack. You were only spared by happenstance but now, wishing to avenge your lost comrades, you seek to rejoin the Equestrian Army to help fight the gryphon invaders, and are thus seeking reassignment.”

I nodded my understanding as her horn then lit up. “Commit this information to memory, and then burn the scroll. Now, if you’ll allow me, I shall project the appearance of the cover you shall take into your mind.”

“Of course, Your Majesty.” I bowed slowly and allowed her magic to brush across my mind’s surface. A ruddy brown coat, a short cropped gray and wheat yellow mane and tail, steel-gray eyes, a rather trim build that spoke of one who was more agile than strong, but still had the conditioning of a proper soldier. His cutie mark was a simple gray horseshoe wrapped in a pair of green, thorn-covered vines with a single blackberry on the end of one with a pair of leaves on the other.

By all accounts, he was a rather ordinary pony, aside from the cutie mark. Young, perchance a bit on the lean side for a soldier, but otherwise hardy. Likely a farm colt by background, strong and used to living in the agrarian expanse of Equestria’s breadbasket.

I would have to formulate his background more thoroughly once I had a chance.

I opened my eyes as the image took hold, and I nodded to confirm to my queen that I had received it properly, magically searing it into my memory. “Interesting choice on the pony tribe, if I may be honest, Your Majesty. I would think a unicorn would be a better option.”

She gave a nod of agreement, “Mayhap you are right, but I do recall you stating that you were trained to wield the bow with your forelegs before your father showed you how to handle one with magic, correct?”

“Ah, yes, of course.”

“Magic requires focus that extends beyond muscle memory, and I feel wielding the bow with such skill as an earth pony will give you an unexpected advantage. An Imperial Talon will not expect to see a skilled bowpony that is not a unicorn, after all. Nor would they expect a sudden spell in the midst of battle,” The faintest flicker of mischief danced across her features before she added, “I have faith in this choice. I would never intentionally put you at a disadvantage that would endanger you, Lycovenato. Besides, you wouldst still have your armored hoofstrikers and other equipment provided by the Equestrian Army.”

“Of course, My Queen, and I would never believe you to endanger me, either,” I replied with a low bow.

I stood up straight, and with a flare of my horn, was engulfed in green flame. When the fires faded, I stood before Her Majesty, now wearing the features of my new cover, the earth pony, Bramble Tracker.

“‘Tis certain it suits you well,” Queen Scylla praised with an approving nod. “Let’s hear your voice.”

I nodded, and took a moment to adjust to my new vocal chords. “I… am Corporal Bramble Tracker, ready to serve Her Highness and protect Equestria.” The voice was only slightly lower than my natural tone, so 'twasn’t too jarring to my ears. “Well, I think this cover works well for me.”

“Splendid,” Queen Scylla rose from her throne and made her way down the dais. “I’m afraid then, with this confirmation of your cover suiting you and your combat and skill assessment complete… I must now send you off.”

I stood straighter, nodding in understanding. “I shall serve to the best of my ability, Your Majesty.”

“I know you will, Lycovenato. Of that, I have no doubt.” She lit her horn once more, and an incredibly small, bright pink object that couldn’t have been any bigger than a grain of rice floated before her. “This is an advanced, long-range communication gem. 'Tis synched with my own magical signature, and so long as we both breathe and live, it will serve as a means for us to communicate. The research team stated that it can only work between the two sources, in this case the two of us. I have also been told that there is no true limit on working range, but it does have a delay in communication that grows longer with distance.”

“I see…” I studied the gem, which remained floating in her aura. “How do I use it?”

“I’m afraid ‘twill be a bit uncomfortable at first… the gem will be swallowed by you, and I will have to move it up through your nasal passages until it rests within your brain cavity with my magic.” Even she winced as she said those words. “I promise I will take the utmost care in this process, but I’m afraid there’s no other means of doing so without risking your safety. The gem must be placed against the brain stem to function properly. Anywhere else will prevent it from working as intended.”

I felt my mouth widen as I took a gulp of air, “Y-you… mean that will be placed… inside my head?” I couldn’t fight down the tremor in my voice as I stared at what might as well have been a high-grade explosive gem in My Queen’s magic aura.

“On my honor as the Queen of the Lepidoptes Hive and as the guardian and leader of her people, you have my solemn vow that you will not be harmed, Lycovenato,” Her Majesty replied, her voice showing no hint of uncertainty or worry.

I took a moment to stare at the gem. It looked unlike any sort of gemstone I had seen. 'Twas multifaceted when I stared at it in the glow of the nearby lamplight, but 'twas perfectly rounded. Not a single pointed or sharp edge as far as my eyes could see, and as one who has made a living off hunting, I trusted my senses. Ovular in shape, but thin enough that I could have mistaken it for a grass seed or something akin to it. Were it not for the bright pink color, it could easily go unnoticed to anyone if it were lying on the ground.

“Very well…” I replied with a slow nod, my pony tail flicking in anxiety but at least my trembling was now under control. “I trust you wholly, Your Majesty.”

“Thank you, Lycovenato,” she replied, and moved the gem towards my muzzle.

I closed my eyes, and found my limbs lock in place as My Queen’s aura paralyzed me and held me down. “I am only doing this so that you will not move abruptly. This will be a delicate couple of minutes, so please endure until I’m finished.” I opened my eyes for a moment and watched as her aura intensified around the gem, tiny sparks of electricity surging across it. The faint crackling of electricity could be heard as she focused on the object, and she gave me a reassuring smile before running a second spell across the gems small surface, studying it intently with a keen eye. “A potent sterilization spell. Anything that may have been on this gem has been destroyed. No illness will be caused by this procedure now, you have my word.”

Her reassurance given, I nodded and closed my eyes, allowing her to continue with the task at hoof. I felt my jaws open, and the faint presence of her magic danced across my tongue as she guided the gem through. I took in gulps of air as the gem moved up through the back of my throat and through the opening leading to the back of my nasal cavity.

“The barrier I placed upon the gem is small, but ‘twill prevent anything within your sinuses from latching onto the gem. So, nothing from within or outside of your body will be brought into your brain cavity now,” she said softly.

A few long seconds dragged by into minutes as she slowly guided the gem, her magic gently probing my body’s inner workings with care that even a mother with a newborn larvae could not hope to match.

At last I felt her magic weaken, and a moment passed before her magical hold over me ceased completely. I opened my eyes, and watched her own eyes open, likely having been closed to help her concentrate fully.

Instead of opening her mouth, however, she continued to study me.

How do you feel, Lycovenato?

I jumped, clearly not expecting My Queen’s voice to resound between my ears. “H-huh?” I blinked as her mouth twitched, betraying amusement. “T-that was you, Your Majesty?”

“’Twas indeed,” she replied. “Now, please… think of something to say to me, and… think it.”

“Alright…” I replied, albeit with a renewed tremor in my voice. Hello? Your Majesty… can you hear me?

Her eyes lit up as she smiled in clear elation. Clear as a siren’s song, my dear changeling! 'Tis working exactly as it should. She laughed as a smile began to tug at my own lips. “Now, mind you, it only works if you wish to speak with me. The spellwork is something not even I fully understand yet if we’re being honest here, but my best arcanists assured me they have done hundreds of tests on this spell, long before the war even started. So as long as my magic exists and both our bodies breathe, it will provide a means for us to communicate.”

“Amazing…” I said, and I meant it. Such magic wasn’t necessarily new, per se, but on such a focused yet amplified scale was no doubt revolutionary, at least for changelings. “All in such a small gem, too!”

“Indeed; the world provides amazing means of harnessing magic, and this is but one way of doing so,” she agreed. “I will keep regular contact with you when I’m able, but do not hesitate to contact me if you need to.”

“I will. But… are there other agents that have this gem as well?”

“No, at least not now. In time? Yes, but for now, you are the only one. With Equestria being mostly separated from Aresia by the Antlertic Ocean and a narrow strait to the north, most of my agents remain in the gryphon lands aside from a small number who currently live among the ponies. You will likely meet some of them, but they will be undertaking their own missions that will be, for the most part, less involved with combat.” Her expression softened as she added, “You will be the only one of my agents undertaking an active role in fighting alongside Equestria—at least for now.”

“Then I shall do all I can to succeed, Your Majesty,” I replied with a pony-style salute.

She nodded in return, a slow dip of the head as she closed her eyes, “May the Hive Mother guide you, Lycovenato.”

“And you as well, Your Majesty,” I said automatically, my thoughts suddenly filled with my beloved’s face again.


Gryphon Empire, near Celestial Straits
Location Undisclosed
September 3rdth, 1139 AC (Year 305 of of Her Majesty Lepidoptes IV’s Reign)
0310 hours

For all the lovely farmlands and expanses of lush countryside that Equestria is known for, I have always found more beauty in the northern expanses of the Empire. The vast pines that seem to stretch on forever into the northern taiga; the untamed wilderness that has found a way to maintain itself without magic…

What I loved most of all though about the Empire’s northern territory were the skies at night. Stars dusted the skies; the spirits of those before us watching over the world below. Many changelings believe that whilst the World Soul is the entity that connects all life on the planet, 'tis the heavens where those who have passed on dwell. Only at night and in our dreams do we ever draw close to one another.

I drew in a slow breath through my nostrils whilst I sifted through the long grass of a small valley nestled between two hills. I fluffed my feathers and drew the fur hunter’s cloak around my gryphon body tighter. ‘Twas exceptionally cold for this time of year, but when your race had little to no means of controlling weather, there was nothing that could be done about it aside from finding ways to adapt. Such was the way of the gryphons, and myself as well, at least for now.

Whilst I would have preferred to find a place to camp before sunset, I had to force myself to keep moving. Patrols would be more numerous as I drew closer to the border and more active during the day, and eventually I would have to find a way to sneak past without drawing attention. ‘Twas certain doing so at night would be easiest for me, but time was of the essence, hence traveling at night. My natural ability to see at night as a gryphon allowed me to do this all the more easily, too. Sunrise was still a couple hours away, so I had to cover what ground I could before stopping to camp for the day.

I had spoken with the queen twice in the time since I had made my journey to Equestria’s border, sharing brief updates on my progress and ensuring our link was still working properly. I had yet to sense any delay in our communications; ‘twas as though she was right beside me with how easily we exchanged thoughts. It made me wonder how far I would need to be before any noticeable delay became apparent for us.

If my estimates were correct, 'twas almost four by the time I had a clear view of the Antlertic Ocean to my left and the expanse of evergreens to my right. Like silent sentinels, they covered the stretch of the Celestial Strait, swaying in the approaching winter wind and filling the air with the faint scent of pine sap and the cold jetstream that had traveled south from the Frozen North.

Your Majesty, are you there? I thought to myself as the first signs of gryphon patrols came into view, in the form of a small group of Talons sitting around a fire.

There was only a few seconds before she replied. Lyco… Lycovenato? Is that you?

Yes, My Queen. Forgive me, did I awake you from-?

'Tis fine, do not fret. Are you well?

I felt a smile creep across my lips. She truly was a mother at heart; ‘twas clear where Plexippa’s own kindness had come from. I am well, yes. I wanted to inform you that I am nearing the strait. I shall proceed with Route Pinepaw, as was initially planned.

Very well. Have you met any Imperial forces?

I paused, taking another glance around my entire viewpoint. None of any real concern, no. Just an isolated patrol or two that ‘twere easily avoided. Most of the forces preparing to join the Equestrian theater are massed north of me. I may have spotted a large military camp in a valley, but methinks I’m pleasantly surprised by how uneventful this journey has been so far.

All the more reason to be on guard, then. Queen Scylla replied. I will await your update when you’ve crossed the strait. Stay safe, Lycovenato.

I nodded, despite being alone. Thank you, Your Majesty.

Our conversation ended, I made my way down a small bluff that was covered in pines. The needles and soft forest floor muffled my footfalls, and as soon as I found a small cluster of trees huddled together, I enveloped myself in flames once more. When I opened my eyes, my auditory senses were immediately assailed with the gentle rush of the winds above. The smell of pine was sharper, and what had once been feathers and fur was now entirely the latter.

Four soft, padded feet brushed against some long-dead needles, and I took a sniff with my new feline nose before letting out a sneeze. Right then, methinks I should be more careful with taking in scents for now…

The Aresian Sabrecat was larger than its cousin in the northwestern Equestrian coast. Thicker fur, more pronounced jawline, and at least a good fifteen pounds difference on average. ‘Twas also a common denizen of the area, and lived a solitary life, so the presence of a single one should draw no attention.

I took another look around, my eyes now picking out the distinct shapes of birds flitting in the canopy with relative ease as a small chipmunk raced between two fallen logs almost silently.

Well, first phase: complete. I thought to myself, and looked down to my bow and rucksack that lay at my side. I thankfully had the foresight to place my quiver in my rucksack before taking on a new form, but the weight was still there. Sadly, my transformation did not magically remove the burden of my gear. Aside from my changeling armor, everything else that was not a part of my body was unchanged. Were anyone there to witness me at that moment, they would have seen a rather comical sight of a young male sabrecat attempting to fasten a rucksack around his stomach whilst gripping a recurve bow in his teeth.

Truly, Equestrian naturalists would have been in conniptions over such a spectacle, whilst the gryphons would have immediately suspected something was up.

Letting out a rather feline chuckle, I stared at the tree before me. The lowest sturdy branch was at least a good twelve feet from the ground. Not a problem for a changeling with wings, and only slightly more difficult for a predator made for climbing trees.

With a leap off the ground, I latched onto the trunk, my sharp claws grasping onto the firm bark of the pine. Being able to take animal forms had been part of the training my father had put me through in my youth as well as tested during my days of training at the hive, including how to use the attributes of everything from felines to jackelopes to climb, attack and escape. Only the first was needed here as I made quick work of the remaining distance before gaining my balance on the branch. Letting out a snort and ignoring the matting of fur from fresh sap, I climbed up ten more feet and then chose a neighboring tree to cross over to.

In fifteen minutes’ time I had covered almost two miles, pleasantly surprised by how quickly I was able to traverse the high branches after I had grown accustomed to my new, lithe body. Only the faint creak of a branch and an occasional pine cone dropping from a bough gave away my position, were any there to hear such noises.

The sun had risen almost an hour ago when I had finally paused, panting whilst I stretched my muscles along a thick bough of an exceptionally old evergreen. My sudden exhaustion was not surprising given my form granted me both the advantages and disadvantages of that particular species; felines were not known for their stamina. After a few minutes’ rest, I had been ready to continue my arboreal trek when my ears perked up, turning towards the sound of Aeric language being spoken aloud to the northwest.

“... the very idea is ridiculous, and if we don’t return soon the Optio will have our tails!” a tiercel’s voice stated in Aeric.

“I’m telling you, I saw something leaping through the trees. Something big!” His eagless partner replied.

The first earth gryphon came into view just beneath me. “Yes, and believe it or not, there are lynx, sabercats, and timberwolves roaming these woods all the time.” He let out a groan as his partner continued ahead of him, undeterred.

“Not this close to a camp, though,” the eagless argued, albeit with some uncertainty. “Animals tend to avoid camps as big as ours.”

“So what do you propose we do, then? Comb every pine for some feline, take note of it, and report back our findings to an Optio Lattius who will likely tear up said report and assign us to latrine duty for the rest of the week as a reward?” he asked in annoyance, but his slightly higher-ranked partner shook her head.

“Just… two more minutes. By my ancestors, I swear that animal was moving too well. Like 'twas thinking out its pathway way more than any animal normally would.”

So they did see me… I silently cursed. Your Majesty?

Yes, Lycovenato?

My apologies for troubling you, but ‘twould seem I spoke too soon regarding the lack of gryphons about. I’m currently in a bit of a situation. I’m hiding in the canopy of a large pine, probably a good… forty feet off the ground. Two Talons are beneath me, one who I believe had spotted me during my crossing along the canopy whilst in disguise.

There was a pause. Do they seem suspicious, or just curious?

The one who spotted me seems intent on finding me. They thought how I moved was unnatural for a sabrecat. Their partner is rather annoyed, though. They fear that if they linger too long that they will be reprimanded by their Optio.

I see. Are you downwind and concealed well enough?

For now, but if they bother looking up or the wind shifts, they may spot me.

Do not move, then. Trust your camoflauge. Keep your eyes on them, but your fur color should keep you concealed so long as you stay close to the shade of the tree’s branches.

Taking a calming breath, I exhaled slowly and quietly and watched the two gryphons make a cursory pass around the general area.

“There, see? No animal, and now we’ve wasted time,” the annoyed Talon Spear stated after a couple minutes passed. Stretching his wings, he turned northward. “I’m heading back, and for both of our sakes, methinks you’d best do so as well.”

The Talon eagless Gladio let out a grunt, clearly unhappy with their lack of results after searching the area. “Very well…”

The two took to the air and headed northward, no doubt towards their camp. “For what it’s worth, you’d better hope we get assigned to an open field during the fighting. You’d think the damned Black Lances are stalking us with how jumpy you’re being.”

Their voices faded as they disappeared beyond the trees. I let out a breath I didn’t realize I had been holding, and waited. Five minutes. Ten minutes.

Your Majesty, they’ve left to return to their camp. I replied.

I could hear her sigh of relief, despite speaking to me telepathically. Good. Stick to the middle of the treeline from now on, Lycovenato. You’ll be harder to spot from there, even if it may slow you down considerably.

Yes, I was thinking the same, My Queen.

Excellent. Stay safe and keep me informed... was her parting thought as I carefully made my way down, waiting until I was about a good ten feet lower from my previous location, then continued on my way.

Careless! I thought to myself. I had grown too secure in the general lack of activity during my travel. Had those two gryphons been Ravens, or perchance even a bit more attentive or in less of a hurry, they might have thought to look up; twas pure happenstance that they had approached from upwind otherwise they might have caught my scent. I would then have been in a rather dangerous position, and trying to evade capture in a forest occupied by an enemy was the last thing I wanted to deal with.

Taking a moment to collect my bearings, I stretched my legs once more before continuing onward.

* * * * *

The Celestial Strait has been considered by many a threshold between two very different worlds for ages.

To the east lay the harsh wilds of the Gryphon Empire’s northern taiga forests and far beyond that, the lands of the Ibexian Ascendancy. To the west lay the lush and far more tame lands of Equestria. Two worlds and two ways of life that were now clashing in the most violent way imaginable.

‘Twould be a shame to see the serenity of this strait disappear, I thought in a rare moment of sentiment; its lush pine forests that bordered either shoreline and azure waters truly were a sight to behold.

Plexippa probably would have loved to see this… but she was too busy trying to hide and get across the border to enjoy it.

With my mood soured by dark thoughts, I let out a grunt and flexed my feline claws before leaping to the next branch. Less than half a mile was the Aresian shoreline of the Celestial Strait, and beyond that, not all that farther from me, was the shoreline of the Equestrian continent of Equis, whose northeastern areas were colonized by the Empire and which was serving as the base of operations for the Imperial invasion.

I would have to change form once more. My body was not made for swimming, and ‘twas a dilemma for me what race to become for the journey. The possible forms I could take to cross the water were numerous, but only a few would be able to also hold my equipment effectively. A magic-wielding hippogryph would allow me the ability to transform between both land and sea creatures that could swim as well as fly. ‘Twas an obvious answer, but the gryphons hated them even more than the ponies for reasons I had never quite understood. In any event, they were rarely seen in this area of the world, and to be spotted as one would raise instant suspicions.

I could take to the air as a large bird, but the sight of a hawk or eagle carrying a bow and stuffed rucksack would be easily noticed, and even if I cast a concealment spell on my gear, any nearby mages worth their staves would sense it and immediately confront me. I would have been better off launching bolts of magic into the air and singing some Aeric war hymn if that were the case.

Whilst considering my dilemma, I studied the waterfront; my sharp sabrecat form’s eyes noting a few dead trees that had managed to find themselves along the shoreline, perchance due to a strong wind knocking them over, or perchance from termites or some other natural cause.

I eventually settled my sights on a rather small tree, noting that it still had branches that were green despite the worsening weather—fall had arrived early in this part of the world, as it so oft did. With that decision made, my focus turned to the tides. They were low right now, which was ideal for the next phase of my mission. I would need to remain out of sight of any possible gryphons, and a low tide would help in that regard.

After confirming that I was alone and there were no gryphon patrols coming my way, I jumped down from my perch and made my way towards the husk of a pine tree I had chosen as my means of transportation. I procured some rope that I had taken with me from the hive and, with an apology to My Queen who had warned me not to do this, I transformed into a gryphon. Using my claws, I tied my rucksack between two rather sturdy knots in the wood, then rolled my makeshift raft out onto the water. With the waves being rather calm for the moment and dusk falling, now would be the best time to cross the straits.

Well… if all else fails, at least I can say that I’m the first of the Lepidoptes Hive to try this… I exhaled deeply, and was consumed in magical flames. When they dispersed, I had taken the form of a sleek, scaled creature with two forelimbs, a long dorsal fin that ran down my back, and a large tail fin. I ran my tongue over my sharp teeth and took in a long breath of the briney air with my new, larger lungs.

Taking the form of a siren, a creature that was thought to have vanished ages ago after the work of a great pony sorcerer, was a risk. A very large risk… but a calculated one. Queen Lepidoptes would probably disagree, but with apologies to her now, what she didn’t know wouldn’t hurt her.


I do indeed disagree, Lycovenato. Whilst creative, what you did was bordering on intentionally reckless! Had I known of your plan, I would have dissuaded you and given you an entire textbook’s worth of other marine creatures whose forms would better suit your need to be inconspicuous. Whilst I do admire your bravery, this newly revealed information of your journey to Equestria is so absurd that it’s comical. What were you thinking, taking on an extinct and much-maligned form such as that of a siren?

—Queen Scylla Lepidoptes IV

]In truth, Your Majesty, I wasn’t thinking all that hard about my choice at that time. I remember hearing the tales of the siren song being able to shatter steel and wrest control of even the most disciplined of minds. Mayhap I thought that if I ran into any danger, I would be able to attack them with… a scream or sing a spell-woven song to discombobulate them.

—Lycovenato

That is only slightly more reassuring, but I am at least glad to know you put some thought into the matter. Though I daresay you had pulled a trick right out of my dear Plexippa’s book, thinking up something so reckless. In the end, though, I am glad it served its purpose.

—Queen Scylla Lepidoptes IV

My apologies for keeping this secret from you, My Queen. If it helps ease your mind at all, I ran into no danger whilst crossing the strait. I even managed to charm some love from a passing dolphin to replenish my magical power and snag a delicious lunch in the form of a Celestial Mackerel whilst swimming across the water, too. All in all, a rather fruitful passage.

—Lycovenato


I crossed the water and reached the shoreline within fifteen minutes, thanks in large part to my siren body’s streamlined shape and magical strength. With the last droplets of saltwater beading off my sides and the taste of fresh fish still lingering on my tongue, I took on yet another form.

I now stood around the height of a full grown stallion. My scaled face gave way to fur and short whiskers. My ears were now covered by flaps of flesh, blood, and hair. My eyes were more sensitive to light, and I had to stifle a cough as my nose was assaulted by the smell of the sea, much more intense than before.

My opposable thumb gripped my rucksack, a little wet from the travel but not soaked, and drew out my bow from within, as well as my quiver.

A lone diamond dog would be a bit suspicious, especially in these lands, but they were known to wield bows and I could use the excuse of wanting to find treasure whilst the war was going on. No doubt any gryphon would demand a reason for my presence, and an Equestrian may be more prone to shooting me with a longbow before asking questions given the current allegiances in the conflict, but I was still firmly in gryphon lands right now.

If the hive’s intelligence was still accurate, I had about a day or two of travel ahead of me before I would need to change form, and that would only be after crossing the Delamare river that marked the pre-war boundary between the two sides.

Until then? I was a lowly diamond dog treasure hunter, perchance distasteful but not a danger, intent on scavenging some precious gems from the ponies who kept all the good jewels to themselves.

I projected my thoughts into the magical link between myself and My Queen: Your Majesty, Operation Mayfly’s second stage is complete. From here, I have an estimated time of forty-eight hours before I reach the Delamare River, and then I must pass through the battlezone on my way to Detrot. I have assumed the form of a diamond dog for now; methinks traversing the border canyon and surmounting the rocky terrain will be easier in this form.

I heard a pleased noise from Queen Scylla before she replied, Well done, Lycovenato. Before you reach Detrot, establish contact with me and give me an update of your situation. ‘Twould seem the communication gem is still working with little issue, but I would feel better testing its effectiveness once you are well within Equestrian lands.

Understood, Your Majesty. Commencing stage three of Operation Mayfly.

Be well, my changeling. May the Hive Mother guide you.

With those parting words, Queen Scylla left me alone to my thoughts once more. To the east was the Celestial Strait; its sparkling, peaceful waters a stark contrast to the violence that lay to the west. Steeling myself and taking a breath, I adjusted my rucksack, shouldered my bow, patted my back with a clawed hand, reassured by the presence of my quiver and arrows, and made my way towards the arid southwest.

Equestria awaited me, and with it, war.


‘Twas sheer luck that saved me several times throughout my travels westwards, and methinks I would learn all too well in the coming days, weeks, and months that luck rarely plays favorites, particularly in matters of war.

Looking back on these days, I have to cherish how peaceful they were. For despite the danger around me, and despite the risk of capture and death by Imperial forces, walking across the vast expanse of wilderness had been soothing to me, and ‘twas likely a much needed reprieve for my mind and body.

Perchance 'tis due to my upbringing as a hunter living with my father, or perchance 'twas just the stress I had been dealing with, but ‘tis certain I always found solace in the times I was surrounded by nature during my time fighting in the war. In the days that followed, I would end up using those same forested havens I loved so much as a tool during the war.

I shall leave my story here for now, but Her Majesty has informed me that she wishes to finish this chapter with her own personal request. So for now, I shall put down my pen. Thank you once more for allowing me this chance to contribute to this collection of stories, Captain.

—Lycovenato


Lycovenato is correct in stating that I have a request. This request, however, does not extend to Equestria, but to Ambassador Layan Kaval of the Gryphon Kingdom.

Ambassador, I believe there was a certain incident that took place only a few days after the war started that you or the Kingdom’s intelligence may know of. It regarded our hive, and lead to the planned evacuation of my hive being rushed forward and performed under what I will simply call severe duress.

I do not know if there were any records kept on this event, but if possible, I would greatly appreciate it if they could be shared at some point. You need not make them public; if need be, I would be willing to receive them in person at some point. As I stated some time ago, I do wish to speak with the Captain, after all. I feel it only fair to introduce myself to the gryphons as well, but only if you and your Queen are willing to do so.

If this is acceptable, then you need only follow the instructions on the scroll that will be found in your quarters in the Equestrian embassy. 'Tis my sincerest hope that, should you be willing to oblige my request, that I and my hive can finally find some closure on what unfolded that fateful day when the Lepidoptes Hive was forced to leave Mosclaw.

Until then, Lycovenato and I shall continue to compile our own memories and put them into written word. Thank you for letting us continue to share our side of this story, and I look forward to what I hope will be our eventual meeting.

—Queen Scylla Lepidoptes IV


I see. I did receive your letter, troubling though I find the fact that you were able to defeat our embassy enchantments to do so.

Truthfully, ‘tis uncertain to me what you speak of, Your Highness, though perchance unsurprising as the Owls played operations regarding the Changelings very close to the vest, to use the pony term. In any event, I will have to discuss this request with Queen Jeyenne before I can offer you an answer. I also do not know if a meeting will be possible under any terms you find acceptable, as we still—understandably—have deep suspicions of your race and your ways. Nevertheless, I will forward your request. And you wouldst forgive me if I order the security of my embassy strengthened so that its wards cannot be breached again.

At the very least, I can say I do find this account thus far a fascinating glimpse into your race and its actions during the war. No doubt the Council of Crows and EIS will as well. Methinks I would like to meet you face to face, but only under circumstances all find satisfactory.

—Layan Kaval
Gryphon Kingdom Ambassador to Equestria
Gryphon Kingdom Consulate
Canterlot


“There is no place where espionage is not possible.” — Sun Tzu

Author's Note:

And so we see the true beginnings of Lycovenato’s journey into Equestria and the war that will consume it. It was a fun chapter to write, though I’m sure most will agree 'twas lacking in action. This was intentional, as Lyco’s character hinted that there will be less of this in the future once he’s entered the battle. His will will be tested and his worldviews will be reshaped in the process. Not everything is cut in stone as far as plans, but I can promise that before the pen is put down for Lycovenato, he will return to some rather violent memories and darker parts of his life.

Thanks to all the awesome readers, and of course, I also want to thank Firesight for letting me contribute to this story- as well as offer his own suggestions and going over this to make it shine. I’d also like to extend thanks to the pre-reading team of Silent Woodfire and AJ Aficionado. I haven’t had much of a chance to write these days, so it’s refreshing to do so. Hope you all enjoyed it, and expect more from Lyco and the changelings in the future!

—Denim_Blue


Thanks, Denim! I’m glad my writing has inspired some from you. I like your Changeling worldbuilding very much; you do it the best since the great Demon Eyes Laharl in Changeling Roun. He will continue to write for his character now and again, when the mood and muse strikes him, and others like AJA and Leo Archon will contribute additional sections and chapters as well.

This wasn’t even on my radar for a possible release until about a week ago, but he turned it out quickly. Thanks go to him, as well as AJ_Aficionado, Silentwoodfire, and Leo Archon, as always. I’ll aim to have at least one more chapter released before or during the holidays in the main storyline. Until then... hope you enjoyed this surprise chapter!

PreviousChapters Next