• Published 1st Sep 2017
  • 3,419 Views, 996 Comments

Into the Storm: The Flight of Firefly - Firesight



Before the Wonderbolts, there were the Bolt Knights. And before Rainbow Dash, there was Firefly. The story of Rainbow Dash's ancestor, the founding of the Wonderbolts, and the outbreak of the Great Pony/Gryphon War.

  • ...
8
 996
 3,419

PreviousChapters Next
Appendix A: Rank and Force Structures of the Equestrian and Gryphon Militaries

Author's Note:

Before anyone asks, yes, this is a duplicate of the final bonus chapter posted in the original story, but it needs to be here as well for reference. Other bonus chapters will likewise be posted as appendices in time, but I’ll try to do so in conjunction with other published chapters instead of as a standalone.

Though all the Equestrian service branches use similar ranks except for the Navy, their structure is not unified and joint chains of command can be difficult to determine. A Captain for the Corps is much higher than one for the Army, for example, and the only General the Corps has is its commanding officer while there are several grades of it in the Army, commanding brigades on up.

Equestrian Army:

The Equestrian Army is officer-heavy compared to the other services, and takes up nearly 2/3rds of the available student slots of the Equestrian Officer Academy, which is fair given that it is the largest Equestrian service branch by far. Senior enlisted are expected to enter the Academy at some point in their careers and the Army leadership prefer officers commanding units above platoon, but in practicality, only about a third to half have them. This leads to awkward situations where senior enlisted are outranked by officers commanding units beneath them, yet still have authority over them by virtue of commanding the higher unit. Duels are only too common for this.

The Army would prefer to address this by having senior enlisted as assistants to officers but the Equestrian Officer Academy is simply not able to train all needed, and the other services would say that the army is too liberal with officer appointments and there are not enough deserving candidates anyway.

Given its large size, there has been some discussion of the Army setting up its own separate Officer Academy on the grounds of an existing tactical school called Sunset Pointe for the express purpose of training its officers, but thus far the other services have balked and the Princess has not approved such a request, fearing the Army would become even more insular if she allowed it and the other services would follow suit.

Ranks and Units

Current contingency plans for war with the gryphons call for not increasing the number of units but rather, unit size from brigades on up, in effect doubling the Equestrian Army’s effective strength.

Militia

The Equestrian earth pony militia generally uses army ranks, though there are exceptions there as well, such as the Trottingham militia. Outside of Trottingham, the Earth Pony militia is casually detested by the regular Army for being at best half-trained and motivated. In the event of war, militia ponies would be drafted first but also treated as little better than raw recruits for it.


Equestrian Aerial Corps:

The Aerial Corps has fewer ranks, fewer officers and is more stringent in its chain of command than the Army, though there is wiggle room there as well. Battalions can be commanded by First Lieutenants all the way down to SFCs. The Corps also has the odd rule where all assigned to a base are subordinate to the base commander regardless of rank; this has likewise led to more than a few duels and disruptions of discipline in the past.

The Corps also has a curious dual-track officer system, differentiating between base and unit command above the battalion/outpost level. Captains command divisions but Majors and Colonels command the larger installations they work out of. It is believed this division of responsibility allows unit commanders to focus on training and combat while the base commander handles housing, supply and logistics; as an example, Captain Sirocco commands the 5th division but Outpost Gamma itself is in fact run by Colonel Contrail. There is also only one General in the Corps at any given point—the Corps Commander. In order to make that rank, you have to spend time as both a base and division commander so you know all areas of the Corps.

Ranks and Units

The following is an idealized rank chart, but in practice, there is considerable variation in who commands what on a given border base or unit. At Outpost Omega, which consists entirely of veterans, everypony tends to be higher ranked and thus have a lower level of authority than they typically would elsewhere.

*The Corps will grant a higher starting rank to particularly gifted trainees; about a quarter are named PFCs and given immediate command of a flight while about 5% make Corporal and become new squad leaders. The Corps also has the philosophy that if you train together, you should fight together, so new squads are, as much as possible, drawn from the ranks of the same training company.

In the event of a prolonged large-scale war, contingency plans exist to double the size of the Corps to nearly 30,000 pegasi, giving it the strength of six Gryphon legions. Much like the army, this would be accomplished by increasing the size of existing units above platoon level. Companies would increase from two platoons to three, and battalions from two companies to four, thus tripling their effective strength. Corps battalions participating in the Phoenix Fire operation were reinforced to wartime strength by taking platoons from other Corps Divisions, but reinforcing the entire Corps would take months of training and establishment of additional training bases.

Weather Teams

Weather platoons function as the Aerial Corps artillery arm, a force multiplier used to defend friendly bases and reduce hostile ones. One weather platoon typically consisting of 2-3 weather teams is attached to every outpost as they excel at static defense. They are, much harder to use offensively, however, as weather team members must keep the clouds still while firing them, attracting mage attacks and crossbow bolts. They require air supremacy or the protection of regular Corps soldiers to safely use on the attack. Each weather team is built as follows:

Roles may rotate between team members during drills, but typically the only way the ‘gunner’ gets replaced is if he or she is killed.

Pegasi Militia

The 5,000 strong Pegasi militia in Cloudsdale uses old ranks and tactics dating back to Imperial times, using the classic Aerial Phalanx to fight. In times of war they would be folded into the Aerial Corps, which is a prospect that does not generally please Corps soldiers. Though decently trained in their archaic tactics—ones the Corps feels are badly obsolete—neither they nor their equipment are up to Aerial Corps standards and would require extensive retraining before they could fight effectively as part of the Corps. Despite that, their primary duty is to guard Cloudsdale, and their sheer numbers would make any attack on the great city a very costly affair.


*Denotes an officer rank.


Royal Guard

Whether the Armored Guard or Plainclothes Security Division, the Royal Guard is almost entirely enlisted. Officers are few and there are only two graduated from the Equestrian Officer Academy every year; typically one for the Armored Division and one for the PSD. They command garrisons as well as installations; the highest rank of the Guard is Captain.

Armored Guardspony officers and promising young NCOs like Firefly are often seconded to other services to give them seasoning outside of Canterlot. Conversely, PSD agents often get ‘borrowed’ by the EIS to conduct “Temporary Additional Duty”—domestic surveillance or counterintelligence ops that do not require the services of the Black Lances.

Ranks and Units for the Armored Guard (PSD numbers are classified!)

*Like the Corps, the Royal Guard can give graduating recruits a higher starting rank ranging from Private First Class all the way up to Sergeant, though the latter is exceedingly rare. Also, when an existing soldier from another service transfers to the Guard, they are initially stripped of their rank but often returned an equivalent Guard one upon graduation. There are no exceptions to this, not even for highly decorated soldiers.

As an example, Windshear entered the guard a Sky Sergeant of the Corps, was then reduced in rank to recruit, but was named a First Sergeant of the Guard upon graduation, which was the equivalent Guard rank. This is not automatic, however; the Guard requires you demonstrate you deserve such treatment otherwise they will happily leave you with a reduced rank.


Royal Navy

The Royal Navy has a very unique rank system that dates back to the time of the Celestial War, hearkening back to the days when Luna’s signature service assigned titles instead of ranks. Promotions are given too readily but Celestia limits them to only a dozen officers per airship outside of pegasus and transport squadrons to prevent nobles from simply buying their rank and titles.

Reforms have been instituted by Admiral Coral Torch in an effort to make the Navy viable again, but three hundred years of only ceremonial service have taken their toll. Battle Group leaders are given a great deal of autonomy in how they run their ships, meaning that some groups are better trained or disciplined than others.

The Navy also has no less than three rank advancement tracks: Airship Combatants, Airship Transports and Pegasi Squadrons. By tradition, those who pilot transports or belong to pegasus attack squadrons are automatically given officer ranks upon graduation from their respective training. This causes no small of resentment along the enlisted, since they’re the ones that have to keep the airships flightworthy while the Naval Pegasi, who often draw their ranks from the nobles and Cloudsdale well-to-do, tend to look down on the enlisted ranks. Unicorns pilot the transports and tend to be nicer about it, but they, too, chafe at being used as a glorified ferry service.


Gryphon Military

The experienced and well-trained Gryphon Imperial Military has a fully unified command structure across all services with the sole exception of the Paladins, which use an archaic rank structure dating back to ancient times. This enables joint chains of command to be set quite readily and eases the use of the combined arms warfare that the Gryphons favor and excel at.

The Gryphons also have fewer formations than the ponies—they do not have a concept of a battalion, for example—and, although there are some instances of lower ranks being assigned to a higher post in absence of a suitably ranked commander, you will never find any higher ranks subordinated to a lower one in the Imperial Military. They also have fewer enlisted ranks.

Rank Advancement

Gryphon rank advancement can happen either through meritorious service or by winning a duel with a higher-ranked opponent, in which case you gain their rank and armor. There are limits to this, however—warriors cannot generally challenge any more than one rank above themselves else they will lack the training and qualifications of their new post, and all challenges must be approved by a higher rank in the same chain of command. In practice, what this means is that the higher rank you obtain, the greater a warrior you were. Upon promotion to certain ranks, you are required by the Empire to attend a training class or tactical school suitable for your new responsibilities. The sole exception for this is battlefield promotion, as war is the greatest teacher of all.

Enlisted ranks in Black, Officer ranks in Dark Red.


Equestrian vs. Gryphon Military

What follows is a VERY rough equivalent of ranks and units between the Equestrian and Gryphon militaries excepting the Royal Navy. Gryphon ranks are unified between their services and thus apply regardless of service branch. Note that the list of Gryphon ranks is NOT exhaustive!

PreviousChapters Next