• Published 20th Jun 2018
  • 1,956 Views, 24 Comments

Monsters of Everfree - Jongoji245

  • ...
3
 24
 1,956

Welcome to Camp Everfree

The sun shines brightly once more by the time the bus arrives at Camp Everfree. Once roll call is taken, the Principals and students stepped off and stretch. Though the Rainbooms have roughed it just a long while back, it was better than they hoped. Peace and quiet, a pristine lake just a few steps away, and best of all: no building-sized monsters hounding them.

“Isn't Camp Everfree just beautiful?” Fluttershy complimented, “I can't wait until we have our first nature walk.”

“I definitely wanna go on one of those.” Said Spike, drawing the caretakers attention to him.

“You wanna see all the adorable woodland creatures, too?”

“Yeah! Specifically squirrels.” Spike looks at a squirrel, “More specifically, so I can chase 'em!”

With a few barks, the little dog scares away the arboreal rodent. Having pulled her luggage from the bus, Applejack gives Spike a good scratch on the ears.

“I'm just lookin' forward to roughin' it.” AJ places her index fingers together, “I'm gonna make my own shelter,” - She then rubs her hands together - “forage for food…”

“Uh, you know they provide us with food and tents, right?” Rainbow Dash questions, pointing at the cabins as she walked away.

“Yup! Still gonna forage though.”

“I'm just after some R&R.” Rarity sighs as she leans on her trove of travel bags. “The past year has all been a bit too much for my tastes.”

“I'll say!” Pinkie Pie closes her fist then flips each finger holding a finger puppet. “We fought three evil sirens who tried to hypnotize everybody with their singing, one ridiculously competitive rival school, went to tropical island filled with monsters and-” She notices Sunset’s coy look and Twilight’s uneasiness. “Uh, heh-heh, no offense.”

“None taken.” Sunset turns to Twilight and gives her a playful fist bump, “You'll get used to it.”

“Yep.” Applejack, Fluttershy and Spike join the others. “Canterlot High has become a regular magic magnet, and that island ain’t exactly a pleasure either. Gonna be nice gettin' away to a place where we don't have to worry about that kinda stuff.”

“Stil, I feel pretty bad for Sweetie Belle and her friends.” Rarity reaches into one of her bags and pulls out a small picture of her sibling. “Being left alone and working those long hours to clear their name.”

“Yeah, well.” Rainbow Dash groaned. “They should’ve thought of that before starting up that Anon-a-Miss crap.”

Hearing how their adventure on the island started got Sunset and Twilight on edge. Agreeing, they continue for the campsite when footsteps come rushing behind them.

“Here you go, Twilight.”

The two turn around, seeing Flash Sentry keep up with them while holding Twilight’s backpack.

“Thanks.” Twilight brings the bag to her shoulders, “It's... Flash, right?”

“Yup, that's me! And you're you. And we don't know each other very well.” Feeling awkward, Flash scratches his head, “Cool story, bro.”

“Right.” Twilight coughed embarrisingly as she saw him leave, “I guess I'll... see you around.”

After giving a confused gesture, Sunset asks her, “Did I tell you about the times the other you visited here a few times before in detail?”

“Nuh-huh.” Twilight answered, shaking her head.

“Flash kinda had a…” Sunset looks ahead to Flash before clearing her throat, “thing for her.”

“Oh.”

Suddenly, the PA system ruins the camp's tranquility.

“Hey, everyone!” Announced a distorted, yet cheery, feminine voice. “If you could start heading to the courtyard, that would be rad! It's time to start the best week of camp ever!”

It took awhile for the newcomers to put their belongings where they’d be safe thanks to Rarity’s “good measure.” They gather around the courtyard while two new faces walked out of the office and stepped on the gazebo. One was a woman of various shades of rose-red wearing a yellow shirt, blue cargo shorts, a necklace of geodes and a headband of daisies on her head. The other was a man with tan skin, a beanie on top of his hair to two shades of green, topping it off with a chin like that of Bruce Campbell.

“Hi, everyone! Welcome to Camp Everfree!” The woman introduced herself, “I'm Gloriosa Daisy, your camp director! Think of me as your friendly camp and nature guide.” She motions herself to the man next to her, “And this is my brother, Timber Spruce!”

“Think of me as that awesome guy…” - Timber juggles the microphone, - “who should always be invited to fun things.”

“We aim to please, so before we hand out our tent assignments,” Gloriosa motions her hand to the crowd, “we'd like to hear from all of you. You're free to do whatever you like here.”

“Uh,” Timber interrupts, raising a finger, “except hike near the rock quarry. That's off-limits.”

“Y-Yes,” Gloriosa pulls her shirt collar, “but otherwise, your options are wide open. So what activities will make this the very best week of your lives ever?”

“Ooh!” Rainbow Dash raises her hand, “Rock climbing!”

“Done!” Gloriosa gleefully answers.

“Archery!” The athlete adds, pulling firing a nonexistent bowstring.

“Of course!”

“Tether-!” Sunset pulls Rainbow Dash away before she can finish

“Rainbow, I know you're excited,” She motions to the other campers, “but maybe give somebody else a chance to make a suggestion.”

“Arts and crafts!” This request coming from the hulking Bulk Biceps gave him some raised eyebrows, for which he adds, “My mom... needs new pot holders.”

"I'll supply the looms!” Gloriosa answers him.

“Cookie decorating!” Pinkie cheered, licking her lips.

“Ooh,” Gloriosa cooed with a posture to match, “I do make a mean sugar cookie.”

“Early morning nature walks?” Fluttershy peeped.

“With walking sticks for everyone!”

“Ooh! Me! Oh, uh…” Rarity paces back and forth before an idea clicks in her artistic brain, “a fashion show! Where I design the most fabulous camp looks inspired by today's hottest trends and have them modeled by my classmates in a gorgeous outdoor setting!”

“A camp tradition!”

In contrast to his ecstatic sister, Timber whispered, “We have literally never done that.”

Shrugging his warning, Gloriosa looks at the students again. All the while her brother takes a look at everyone else, in particular Twilight, who blushes long enough for Pinkie and Sunset to notice.

“I'll be taking requests the rest of the time you're here, so if there's anything you'd like to do, anything you need, just ask.”

"What about the camp gift?” Everyone turns to Principal Celestia, sitting as happy as when she was their age, “That was my favorite Camp Everfree tradition.”

“The camp gift!” Gloriosa voiced uneasily, “Of course!”

“Really?” Timber scrutinized under his breath.

“Yes, really.” Gloriosa seethed in response.

“Well, I just thought—”

“Then you thought wrong!” She hissed again. As everyone sees this quiet banter going on, Sunset leans over to Twilight.

“Anyone else picking up on a little tension between Gloriosa and her brother?”

“Ehh…” Twilight muttered before finishing with, “A little.”

“Every year, campers work together to create something useful. A gift for future campers. Working toward this common goal is key to forming the strong bonds that will last well beyond your time here at camp!” - Gloriosa turns to her flustered brother - “Which is why it's so important.”

Both of them step out and turn around before Gloriosa continues talking, “This gazebo was a gift from last year's group. Oh, oh, oh, and the totem pole and the sundial were also made by campers!”

“The sundial was our year's gift!” Celestia exclaimed with a big smile.

“Even though "some people" thought it was a little impractical,” Luna scoffed under her own breath, much to her sister’s chagrin. “since the sundial can't be used at night.”

Gloriosa chuckled, “You all seem like a-a really amazing group. So I'm certain you'll come up with something inspiring to leave behind.”

The campers let out a big cheer that echoed throughout the forest. In the deepest fringes, the cheering is heard under a colossal ear and opens up a pair of sleepy eyes.

“Speaking of leaving things behind,” Timber Spruce holds out a small box of cards, “now's the time when we give out tent assignments so you can leave your heavy bags behind.”

“Uh,” Gloriosa takes out her little box of cards as well, “girls will be getting their assignments from Timber. Guys, you're with me.”

As each band of the either sex gathered ‘round, Pinkie Pie is the first to step forward.

“Oh, boy!” She squeaked before looking away and reaching inside before pulling out a card with an emerald gem, “Hmm… Yay! I'm in the Emerald Tent!”

“Ooh,” Rarity also chirped, holding another with same image “me, too!”

Applejack walked up soon after, pulling up a card with an aquamarine gem, “Aquamarine.”

“Me, too!” Shouted Rainbow Dash, holding the same gem.

“Yee-hoo!” AJ cheered

“Oh, yeah!” Rainbow cheered alongside her before both laughed.

“I got Amethyst.” Said Fluttershy, on cue Vinyl Scratch looked at her and gave her a thumbs up.

After grabbing her card, Sunset walks off towards the totem pole and analyses the color.

“Sapphire.”

“Me, too!” Twilight looked at her card closely, fidgeting her glasses, “I mean, I'm assuming I am. Heh-heh. Technically, sapphires aren't just blue. Heh-heh. They can be pink, purple, yellow…”

“Yeah, but they're mostly blue.” Twilight purses her lips before turning around to Timber Spruce, “That's why they're named after the Latin word sapphirus.”

The forest is silent (and awkward) before Timber whispers, “That means ‘blue.’”

“I know.” Twilight also whispers before bringing the card closer, “But did you know that sapphires are just rubies without chromium?”

“Nnnoooo.” Timber answered, gently taking the card away from Twilight, unintentionally making her blush, “But did you know that Sapphire Tent is the best one?”

“No.” Twilight cocks her head, “Why's that?”

Timber leans forward, “Because you're in it.”

Rolling her eyes from the rather unfunny joke (albeit with a creepy face to match), Twilight swipes her card away.

“Oh, I bet you say that to all the campers.”

“Not true.” Timber remarks before looking at Bulk Biceps holding card with a red gem, “You're in the Ruby Tent? Ha! That's the worst one!”

“Aw, man!” The muscled wailed in anguish.

“I'm just jokin', buddy. “ Timber apologetically pats Bulk on his massive shoulders, “Ruby Tent is great. It's like a sapphire but with chromium.” Seeing how the hulking brute looks at him rather dumbfounded, he adds, “But the Ruby and Coral Tents do look an awful lot alike to the undiscerning eye. I better show you where it is.”

As Timber lead Bulk to his tent, he mouths at Twilight, “See ya around.”

Her cheeks blushing, Twilight curls her hair in her finger and turns around. Her closest friends were watching the whole ordeal from a distance; they couldn’t keep their laughter any longer and so chuckled.

“What?”

“Heh.” Applejack stopped chuckling, but still felt a little funny in her tummy, “Nothin'.”

After Twilight walks away from them to her assigned tent, Rarity cooed, Ooh! That was adorable!”

The moment is ruined yet again as Gloriosa blew on a whistle, “Okay, everyone, go get settled in. We'll be meeting at the docks in fifteen minutes to go over some camp safety rules. Let me know if you need anything!”

Each pair of campers grabbed their bags and dropped them off at their tents. While Rainbow settled in, Applejack volunteered to help with the rest of Rarity’s bags.

“I'm all for learning safety rules,” Rarity sighed, “but I do hope I can get started on my designs for the camp fashion show sooner rather than later.”

“Huh. I still can't believe you talked Gloriosa into havin' a fashion show.” Adding to her argument, AJ raises her arms, “We're in the middle of the woods, for cryin' out loud! We're s'posed to be roughin' it!”

Being out of earshot from the camp leaders, Rarity points at Gloriosa, It's clear from Gloriosa's own wardrobe that she appreciates a well put together look. Even if we are in the "middle of the woods".

“Fair enough. Just as long as you don't put me in one of your fancy pants outfits.” Applejack walked ahead a little before stopping in her tracks and turns her head suspiciously at Rarity, “...You're gonna, aren't ya?”

“No.” A few seconds and a raised brow from the apple farmer, “Yes!” She chuckles leaning suavely on Applejack, “Don't worry, darling. It'll absolutely speak to your personal sense of style…”

The tents themselves appear larger on the inside than they are on the outside. A thick tarp gave a sharp contrast to the bright world outside. Spike wasted no time getting comfy after his master set up the dog bed. Sunset pulled out a flashlight, shined on her face and cooed an evil coo before giving a chuckle.

“That was weird back there, right?” She asks Twilight, putting up another Camp Everfree shirt of a different color.

“Huh? Oh.” Twilight paused before raising her shoulders and resumes unpacking, “Uh, I guess so.”

“I just have this feeling that they’re hiding something.” After hanging up another shirt, Sunset’s pondering changes from something serious to something more… Trivial. “Her brother is pretty cute, though, huh?

Twilight pauses again, not even looking at her friend, He's... okay.”

“ooh,” Sunset leaned on her traveling bag, hands pressed on her coy face, “now look who's trying to hide something.”

“No, I'm not!” Twilight shouts, putting her friend and dog on alert. Guilty, she turns around.

“Hey, you okay?” Sunset walks around her bed, “You seemed a little freaked out on the bus earlier.”

“Probably had another one of her nightmares.” Spike answers, curling up in his comfy bed.

“I'm fine.” Twilight softly objects, though that only got a raised eyebrow. She sighs, “Since we got off the island, I haven’t been sleeping well. I still can see they’re faces.

“That wasn't your fault.” Sunset knelt, her left hand on Twilight’s lap, “Adagio pushed you to use all that magic, clearly not realizing you weren't ready. But it's over now. And if there's any group that's gonna forgive you for something that happened in the past, trust me, it's this one.”

“Hey!” The two hear from Rainbow Dash outside, “You guys comin' or what?

“Be right there!” Sunset shouts out before turning over to her bag, “I just wanna put on some sunscreen.” - Search as deep as she could, all sunset could feel are clothes and a few… special possessions, “Huh. I coulda sworn I packed it.”

When she took another step, Twilight felt something against her toes. Fortunate she is, lest she make the floor messy with one more step.

“Found it!” As soon as she pointed at the bottle, she notices a purple aura surrounding it. It rises from the floor and comes within grabbing distance. Twilight yelped just before Sunset caught a fleeting glimpse of this phenomena.

“Did you?” Sunset leans over down when Twilight caused the item to move unintentionally by just waving her hand, “How is this possible?”

“I can't believe this.” Panicked, Twilight placed her hands on her head, “It's…”

“Amazing!” Sunset cheered.

“Terrible!” Twilight jeered.

“Are you kidding? This is great!” Sunset added, “I mean, we've all ponied up before, gotten the whole ears and wings and tail thing, shot magical rainbow lasers, but nothing like this has ever happened! How did you do it?”

“I don't know! Maybe I didn't.” Twilight pulled her pony tail forward and stroked it, “Maybe it's her!”

“Her who?” Sunset asked, snapping Twilight back to reality.

“Nothing. Never mind. Can we just not talk about it?” Twilight grabbed Sunset’s hands, “And could you please not bring this whole levitating thing up to the others?”

“Why not?”

“You heard Applejack.” Twilight squinted her eyes as she raised Sunset’s hands, “This is supposed to be the place where everyone can get away from this kind of stuff. After what happened at the island, I don't want them to know I brought some crazy new kind with me.”

Sunset looks away for a while, “If you really don't want me to,”

“I really don't.” Twilight interrupted Sunset as she patted their joined hands to her lap.

“Okay,” Slightly disappointed, Sunset looks away a little before adding, “but this isn't necessarily a bad thing!”

As soon as Twilight is out of her sight, the unicorn in ape’s skin looks down at her sunscreen and squints. She scrunched her face, before shutting her eyes and places her fingers on her forehead. Nothing.

“I think you're just gonna have to pick it up.” Spike spoke bluntly, much to her displeasure.


As the day becomes red, the students have already gathered around the lake, now that the rules of the camp are told. Many are common sense about camping, and some rather bizarre.

“Oh, it's beautiful, isn't it?” Rarity asked about the lake, “It looks like a diamond shining in the sun!”

“It is lovely out here.” Fluttershy complemented, “The fresh air, the cool breeze, the birds that land on your finger.”

As one such bird indeed landed on her finger, Rainbow Dash smirks, “I think that only happens to you.”

“Lake activities are available every day until sunset,” Gloriosa finishes her last rule on her checklist, “so if you want to canoe, sail, windsurf, or swim, just let me know.”

On the dock, Twilight bent forward to a flock of ducks dabbling in the water.

“Aren't they just the cutest?” Fluttershy’s sudden outburst scared Twilight, making her lose her footing. Fortunately, she is caught just in time.

“Whoa!” But the person wasn’t Fluttershy, but Timber Spruce, “I know I'm charming, but you don't have to fall for me.”

From a distance, Flash Sentry watched the camp manager work his magic with the girl. In the past, the young man became somewhat of a main squeeze to their Twilight’s doppleganger, a princess from Equestria. But with their twilight seemingly ignoring his advances, a little piece of him felt left out. Such a feeling has even Sunset worried, and so she approaches him apathetically.

“Guess I can't get too jealous, right?” Flash scratches his head, “After all, she isn't my Twilight. Not that the other Twilight was mine! But we were... you know.”

“Yeah. I get it. But your Twilight is a princess in Equestria.” Sunset leans on him, “Hate to break it to you, but that's where she's gonna spend most of her time.”

“So you're saying I just need to get over her?” Flash asked worryingly.

Hard as it is, Sunset became blunt, “Kinda, yeah.”

“Ouch.” Indeed, the answer got to Flash like a band-aid torn from an unhealed wound, “You're not pulling any punches.”

“Not really my style.” Sunset taps her fingers on his shoulders, “Sorry.”

They watched the conversation unfurl as their Twilight has become smitten by Timber.

“Making lanterns out of solar-powered garden lights!” Twilight cooed, crossing her arms coyly, “Pretty crafty there, Timber!”

“You think that's crafty? You should see my macaroni art.” Timber takes out his phone and shows Twilight his artwork over the years, some of which was worth a giggle, “I'm like the Picasso of noodles.”

“All right, now.” Everyone turns to Principal Celestia, “It's going to be getting dark soon, we’ll soon be turning in for tomorrow’s activities!”

“Everyone, get cleaned up,” Gloriosa added, “and we'll gather by the fire pit at eight to share s'mores and scary stories!”

S'mores!” Pinkie screamed, holding all the ingredients needed to make a s'more.


Night settles quickly over the great forests surrounding Camp Everfree. Though they hoped for more, many of the students were more tired from the trip than expected. The Rainbooms aside, Principals Celestia and Luna, Trixie, Snips, Snails, Derpy, Flash Sentry, Sandalwood, Microchips, Bulk Biceps, and Watermelody surround the campfire. They share one of their fair share of campfire stories; right now it’s Rarity’s turn.

“...And that's when she looked down and realized she was wearing purple socks with a burgundy dress!” Rarity screams a forced scream,“Purple and burgundy, darlings! The same color family!”

Even when she screams again, her audience is still unphased; some of them didn’t even bother looking at her as they texted on their phones.

“Uh... that was a terrifying story.” Applejack mocked, infuriating Rarity.

“Yeah,” Rainbow Dash chuckled, patting Rarity’s shoulder, “I'm terrified she'll try to tell it again.”

Rarity gritted her teeth, “Well, it’s not like your story was any better. Pffff. ‘Rainbow factory,’ indeed”

“Then you won’t be disappointed with my story.” Luna remarked, as she straightened herself, “While Celestia was building that impractical sundial,” She looked at her older sister, now slightly annoyed, “I decided to use my time and hung out with Tiberius.”

“Tiberius?” Mouthed Trixie.

“He faked his death, but I didn’t care. So I waited. Then,” Luna purposely crushes a stick in two, getting her protege’ on edge, “oh, then… Out came a mountain lion!”

Rising up to her full size so suddenly got a few students fallen back from the logs they sat on.

“He cornered me and Tiberius,” Luna lurched forward, arms crooked, “claws drawn out, lips curled back, eyes like the furious fire of Hell…. But that’s not the worst of it...”

“Oh, Luna.” Celestia face palmed.

“Out from nowhere was great, hairy man! He grabbed the cat with his great big arms!” Luna exclaimed, raising her arms to their full length. The description so far had Sunset raise a brow, “I would’ve been a meal if-”

“Luna,” Celestia interrupted, “we’ve been over this time and again, there was no-”

“If I told you once, I told you a thousand times,” Luna turns to her sister, “he was big, hairy-”

“And pink!” With pursed lips, Luna turns her body at Pinkie Pie, her faced stuffed with s'mores. She swallows her quarry before chuckling nervously, “Heh, heh.”

The moment ruined for her, Luna sits in the same spot, arms crossed, and asks, “Anyone else have a spooky story?”

“I have one.” Timber Spruce sits down “But I'm warning you, you might as well hug a friend now. That's how scary it is!”

After giving everyone a snide chuckle, Bulk Biceps was the first to do so, chattering his teeth.

“It's time I told you about the legend of Gaea Everfree.” Timber clears his throat and begins his story, “Many years ago,”

The view goes through his eye. The forest they stood of course had more trees to go around, the air is fresher and the water cleaner. In one part, a family group of settlers, two around their early forties arrived.

“my great-grandparents came to this forest. Seeing its beauty, they decided that it would be the perfect place for a camp. But once they started building, strange things started to happen.”

Indeed, a group of vines snared the construction and tore it down.

“One pitch black night, when the wind was howling, a tree branch crashed through the roof of their cabin! They screamed and ran outside, only to see the giant creature rising from the earth!”

Such a creature, as it rose, snared the settlers in a tight bound.

“She had wild hair like the roots of a tree. Her mouth had jagged rock teeth and her eyes were pools of black tar. But her aura shimmered like diamonds. Anywhere she went, she left a trail of gem dust in her wake. Trembling, my great-grandparents asked who she was and what she wanted. In a deep and hollow voice, she told them that her name was Gaea Everfree – an ancient spirit who held domain over the forest, and that my great-grandparents were trespassing on her land. They begged her to let them stay and build their camp, to share this wonderful place with others. Gaea Everfree finally agreed but warned them that they would not be able to keep it forever.”

The beast retreated to the forest, the glowing eyes being the last they see of her.

“Someday, she will return and reclaim the forest as her own.”

We return to the present; everyone was on their guard.

“So, if you see gem dust, you’ll know that it is…” A moment’s silence before Timber stood up, raise raised, and screamed, “Gaea Everfree!!!”

As if on cue, the bushes rustle. Everyone closest to the foliage rush to the other side, many of whom hug each other as their end draws near. Applejack and Rainbow Dash raised their fists, Sunset about to draw her knife, all ready for a fight…. If it wasn’t for the face coming forward was… friendly.

“Hey, guys!” greeted Gloriosa, “Sorry! Didn’t mean to scare you.”

“Then,” Not that she has, but Sunset puts the knife back into her pocket, “why’d you come out of the bushes?”

“I took the scenic route,” Gloriosa answers with an uneasy tone to her jovial voice, “because it’s beautiful at night… But no one should do it without a guide.”

She walks over to the center of the ring, hands together in a pleading motion.

“All right everyone, time to head to your tents!”

As she watched many of her charges walk to the tents for the night, Gloriosa felt a little tug at her shirt.

“Hey, Gloriosa,” Asks Snips, “Do you have extra toothbrushes? I forgot mine.”

Somewhat disgusted as a bit of spinach wedged between Snips’ buck-teeth, Gloriosa nonetheless stayed at his side.

“Sure do!” Before she could even go on, Snails hides behind Gloriosa, shivering like crazy.

“Do you have flashlights?” He asks, quaking in his shoes.

“Of course!” She leads Snips and Snails towards the supply cabin finishing her talk with, “I got this!”

So to speak, the fire has taken its toll for even the Rainbooms. Fluttershy held on Spike for dear life.

“Fluttershy!” Spike sputtered while in the Herculean grip.

“Oh, sorry.” Fluttershy calms herself and gives the dog some breathing room, “I guess that story really got to me.”

“Why would you?” Applejack asked, “She isn’t real.”

“I don’t know.” Rainbow Dash of all people questioned in a frightened tone, “Gaea Everfree could have been some creature that got booted from Equestria and ended up in this world. That’s what happened with the Sirens.”

“Eh,” Applejack added, “Sounded something Timber was making just to scare us. At least… That’s what I hoped. Last thing I want is this camp running by some power crazed person.”

“But let’s not forget, darling” Rarity interjected, patting her shorts, “that we also just walked into an island of monsters! And that only got worse when Twi-.” The fashionista notices how their words are affecting their Twilight Sparkle and stammers, “I mean, everything turned out all right, of course.”

“I’m… going to sleep.” Twilight mutters before walking away.

“Maybe lay off what happened on the island, okay?” Sunset calmly chided.

“Our lips are sealed!” Pinkie answered, her mouth filled with molten marshmallows. A harsh screeching sound disturbs the silence. Sunset oddly enough became most alert at this.

“What got you so worked up?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Sorry,” Sunset continues looking at the tree trunks, “there are still a few things I have to get used to,” she wraps herself in her arms and shudders, “including some aberrant forms.”

“Such as?” Spike asks with his ears raised.

“Ants,” Sunset positions her hands so they be two feet away from each other, “big ones. Whatever's screeching could be one now.”

“Seriously?” Rainbow raises her brow, “It's just a bat.”

“Oh you think it's a bat,” Sunset turns around and walks towards her tent, “but it's a slagging ant.”


Trying to ignore the screeching, the Rainbooms sleep for the night. In the darkness of the forest was at an electric substation. A middle-aged worker kept looking out the window when the same screech is heard. Then the ground periodically started to shake, gradually intensifying as if… like footsteps. He looks outside again. Four structures stepped into the bluish glow of the working substation. A curious, gigantic praying mantis greets the man with clicking mandibles. He steps away when the roof of his office tears apart. The culprit looks down, clicks its mandibles and makes the same screech before it is suddenly pulled back.

The good man avoided being stepped on by the bug at his door by running out the door. He falls on his backside. Another of the bugs stands above him, brings its claws out, spreads its wings and jumps into the darkness. The forest echoes not only with loud screeches but also howling roars. Moment after moment, bug parts and organs get tossed in the air and some land beside him. The poor man kept shuffling as a giant shadow swallows him before the bluish light ceases.


A few hours pass after Sci-Twi turns in for the evening. So far, she sleeps like a baby, and that helps her curl a smile.

“Murderer…”

“Whuh?” Sci-Twi mutters, freeing her eyes from their crusted shackle.

“Killer…”

Sci-Twi finds herself no longer in her tent, but on the grassy floor near the campfire. She turns around when-

“She-Demon!” Sci-Twi screamed at the most unusual sight: Adagio Dazzle, here? After she was-

“Murderer!” Screams Aria Blaze!

Several glowing eyes surround them and creepy sounds echo the forest. Sci-Twi steps back towards the fire when laughter is heard, a familiar one at that. She turns around and a split second Midnight Sparkle erupts from the flames, reaching for her.


“No!” Sci-Twi sits up from her bed and bumps her head on the top of the tent.

“Huh, whuh!?” Sunset sputters, jumping out of her bed and drawing her tribal knife from its scabbard. She flutters her eyes open, “What’s going on?”

“Nothing.” Twilight pinches her temples, “Sorry, Sunset.”

When she rubs her eyes, Sunset became wide awake, “Uh, Twilight...”

Twilight looked around, then down; in her sleep, she caused everything on her side of the tent to levitate. Even Spike slept like a rock while his dog bed floated. But with the loss of focus, everything lands with a loud thump, and that gets the dog to wake up.

“Is it time to get up already?” He mutters with a dry mouth and droopy eyes, the worst way to start a new day.

Author's Note:

Like "Kong: Skull Island," Sunset would also say the F-word, and it is in the original google draft, but I change is here.