• Published 30th Jul 2017
  • 531 Views, 3 Comments

The Pear in Me - Creativa-Artly01



Pear Butter may be a Pear but that doesn't mean she wants to be one. She has no choice in the matter.

  • ...
 3
 531

Chapter 12

That afternoon while Pear Butter and Bright Mac are out, Granny Smith watches the young Big Mac and filly Applejack play on the floor as she knits. After about a half hour, Granny Smith dozes off and falls asleep. As she naps, the two foals still play happily on the ground in front of her.

Meanwhile, Pear Butter and Bright Mac are out a charity bake sale and street side sale. The two are helping out at their friends' stands. Pear Butter is helping out at Mrs. and Mr. Cakes' stand while Bright Mac is helping out at Burnt Oak's wood carving stand. Other tables are also lining both sides of the street with everything from jewelry to balloon carts and face painting carts for the foals. A half hour later, the charity sales begin and ponies flood to the tables.

At the Cakes' table, a young pony asks for a bag of a dozen cookies, which Mrs. Cake happily hands to them then takes their twenty three bits. She then puts it in the wooden box on her stand and then gets back to awaiting the next customer.

Over at Burnt Oak's stand, ponies line up for his wood carvings and wood burnings by the hundreds. He and Bright Mac pass out carvings to the ponies as they fill their wooden box with hundreds upon thousands of bits.

Meanwhile, over at another stand, an Equestrian Indian pony named Indigo Spirit passes out feather covered jewelry and then happily takes her payments from her customers with a warm and inviting smile across her face. "Have a great day!" she says as ponies leave her stand.

Over at another stand, a mustached pony hands out stain glass tiles to his customers as they fill his wood box with their bits. He then smiles and tells them to have a great day as they leave his stand.

Pear Butter sighs. She was hoping her father would come to sell his jams and pear treats at the charity. Meanwhile, several miles down the road, he is doing exactly that, but she has no idea. After seeing Pear's father out of the corner of her eye, Mrs. Cake tells Pear Butter that he's down twenty stands and Pear Butter runs off to greet him.

Down at his stand, Grandpear notices as Pear Butter comes running his way, shocked. "Pear Butter, what are you doing here?" he asks.

"I'm helping at the Cakes' stand," she replies. "Now answer me this, why haven't you answered any of my letters? Your grandfoals wonder where you are. Little Big Mac and Applejack, they're always asking where their grandpa is and I hate having to tell them that you aren't around." Her eyes begin to fill with tears. "Why do you do this to your grandfoals? I'll never understand you, dad, no grandparent doesn't visit their grandfoals. What is wrong with you?" She's full blown crying at this point.

"Honey, Pear Butter, honey, I'm too successful to turn back now, I'm sorry," her father tells her then turns and walks away. Pear Butter runs back to the Cakes' stand with tears in her eyes. She hates her father so much right now. He's turned his back, not only on her, but his grandfoals and that's what ticks her off most of all.

Back at the Cakes' stand, Mrs. Cake does her best to comfort Pear Butter while Mr. Cake tends to the customers. A few hours later, Mrs. Cake even walks Pear Butter home and then returns back to the charity sale on her own.

At the Apple Farm, "what's wrong, Buttercup?" asks a concerned Granny Smith.

"Dad, he told me he prefers success and fortune over his grandfoals, his grandfoals," she cries. Granny Smith strokes her mane and tries to comfort her.

"There, there child," says Granny Smith, "there's a reason your father's parents named him Prickly. He's unfeeling and selfish. We'll never abandon you, I promise."

"Thanks," sniffles Buttercup. "How are little Big Mac and Applejack?"

"They're sleeping," replies Granny, now go clean yourself up and go relax yourself. You need it. Buttercup nods and goes to the bathroom and washes up before going out to her garden to get her mind off her rocky talk with her father.

Back at the charity sale, Bright Mac is still working the wood carving stand with Burnt Oak, not knowing that his wife left early, not knowing that she got in a fight with her father. He continues to help with the stand until the event's close at midnight's firework show. Immediately after the fireworks, Bright Mac returns home and goes off to see if his wife is okay. He soon finds her sitting in the living room with tears in her eyes.

"What's wrong, dear?" Bright Mac asks.

"I had a fight today at the charity sale with my father," replies Buttercup with a sniffle, "he'd rather have success over a relationship with his grandfoals." He comes over and comforts her, holding her in his hooves. He lets her continue to cry on his shoulder until she finally gets all the tears out. Bright Mac can't help but pity her. After all, all she ever wanted was her father to be there for her children and now, that's not even going to happen ever.