• Published 24th Jul 2017
  • 1,704 Views, 44 Comments

Journey through Alola - darkmage1997



Will, Fluttershy, Toby, Serenity, and Silver Spoon travel through the Alola region

  • ...
18
 44
 1,704

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 37: The Boss of Destruction: Guzma's in the HOUSE!

Waking up bright and early, our heroes had just finished breakfast, and were preparing to head back down to the base of the mountain, as they all gathered by the Shuttle Bus Stop, "Ok, first order of business is to find the Professor, and return the mask Molayne had given us," Will said, as they boarded the bus.

"I can't wait to see what the Ghost Totem Pokémon is like," Lincoln commented, as he took a seat with Lucy.

"I agree," Lucy replied.

"Though, maybe in the next trial, we should try pacing our attacks. It kind of felt like the battle against Togedemaru was too one sided," Silver Spoon suggested.

"You mean it was too far left?" Leni asked.

"No. What she means is that our battle was too much in our favor. It felt like we couldn't even give the Totem Pokémon a chance to properly battle," Will explained.

"He does have a point. I feel like we had an unfair advantage," Fluttershy added.

"In our next trial, I'm going to bring in some Pokémon I haven't had a chance to battle with yet," Toby declared.

"I think I will too. After all, these trials aren't challenging unless they challenge us," Silver Spoon replied.

"Then it's settled. We'll be bringing out some of our other Pokémon for our next trial," Will finalized.

"You shouldn't do that! If you don't have your A-Team, you may not have a chance!" Lynn argued.

"And that's exactly why we need it to be this way. We need to be challenging ourselves, otherwise, we'll just be ganging up on a Totem Pokémon, without gaining any sort of experience," Will countered, as the bus reached the bottom of the mountain, where they disembarked, "But if travelling has taught me anything, when planning to do something like this, it's important to have at least one or two of your best Pokémon on your team, so we'll all keep at least two of our stronger Pokémon, while we use our other Pokémon to aid us in all future trials," Will added.

"I still think this is a bad idea," Lynn commented.

"Trust me. I've been through six other regions, and I've met instances like this multiple times," Will countered, as they made their way over to Malie City. Lynn still didn't like it, but she could tell they weren't going to listen to her.

'Alright, fine! If they want to be losers, they can go ahead with this little plan!' Lynn bitterly thought to herself.


It took about five or six minutes to arrive in Malie City, and our heroes decided to head to the Pokémon Center to change up their teams, "Ok, so we have our new teams all ready?" Will asked. A round of affirmations was his reply.

"Hey guys, Kukui's on the TV," Lola said, as they, along with the other people in the Pokémon Center turned their attention to the television.


At Aether Paradise Conference Room,

"Welcome everyone. I have assembled you all to make a very special announcement. In a few weeks, we'll be establishing the first ever Alola Pokémon League!" Kukui announced. This caused many reporters to start blurting out questions, one right after the other.

"Professor, what drove you to establishing a Pokémon League for Alola?" one reporter asked.

"Well, it all started back when I traveled through the Kanto region back when I was a kid. I was enraptured by the way the Gym Leaders and the Elite 4 battle against me and my team, especially that one Dragon Type Trainer in the Elite 4. Anyway, as you all may know, part of the Island Challenge is to conclude a trainer's trials with a series of battles against the Kahunas of all four of Alola's Islands, at the summit of Mount Lanakila. However, due to the harsh climate conditions up there, construction crews are unable to safely a proper arena. So, with some help on behalf of the Aether Foundation, we have come up with the next best solution. I now turn this over to the President of the Aether Foundation, Lusamine," Kukui said, handing the microphone off to Lusamine.

"Thank you, Professor. As he just mentioned, the Tradition of Alola's Island Challenge has always ended on Mount Lanakila, but construction crews are unable to safely make it up to the summit. So, on behalf of the Professor, we at the Aether Foundation are preparing a grand stage for the League Championships. BEHOLD!" Lusamine said, as the shutters behind her opened up. The reporters were in awe at seeing a floating arena a few miles from the Paradise being built, "As you can see, the construction is not quite complete, but once it is, we urge any and all trainers who have cleared the Island Challenge to come and participate!" she declared. Once more, the paparazzi began flinging questions around.


Back with our heroes,

Needless to say, the trainers in the Pokémon Center were all getting pumped up from this announcement, "Alright! A chance to show what I'm made of!" one trainer exclaimed.

"Yeah right! A clown like you hasn't a chance if I'm entering!" another countered.

"You're both wrong! I'm going to win the whole shebang!" another declared.

"Looks like everyone wants a piece of the action," Lynn commented.

"Well, if this is a first for Alola, then it's a once in a life time opportunity to become the first ever champion. So of course everyone is going to get all riled up," Will replied.

"I may participate, I may not. I'll decide once we're all there," Fluttershy commented.

"At least it's not going to be somewhere frigid," Silver Spoon sighed a breath of relief, as did Toby.

"It'll be the first championship I participated in that's on the water," Will commented.

"Though, it is more than likely that they'll install a number of battlefields, not just water based ones," Lisa theorized. It was then that some trainers came rushing in.

"Nurse Joy! We need help!" one of them pleaded, holding his Clauncher.

"Oh my, what happened?" Nurse Joy asked.

"Well, we were just minding our own business in Malie Gardens when Guzma showed up!" another trainer, carrying her Magby replied. This caused many trainers to clam up.

"No way, Guzma's here?" one trainer asked.

"And of course, it had to be right after the Pokémon League's announcement," another commented.

"Whose this Guzma guy?" Lori wondered.

"You really don't know? Guzma is the leader of Team Skull. He's the strongest Bug Type Trainer in all of Alola!" the trainer explained.

"He didn't earn the title of 'Emperor of Destruction' for nothing. He's absolutely ruthless!" another added.

"I heard he never got a Z Power Ring because he was already super strong to begin with," another added. Trainers then began sharing rumors they heard about Guzma.

"Hmm, this Guzma sounds like a dangerous character. We'd better go and see what he's like," Will suggested.

"I agree. If he's causing trouble, we should put a stop to it," Fluttershy agreed. The others shared her sentiments as well.

"Alright then. But I want you all to leave battling Guzma to me. If he's the boss of Team Skull, he's bound to be exceptionally skilled," Will instructed. Everyone gave their understandings, "Alright. Let's get going," Will said, as they left the Pokémon Center, and made their way over to Malie Gardens.


Team Skull were wreaking havoc, either making a ruckus, knocking over trash cans, or even drawing graffiti on the walls, "Alright you knuckleheads, let's move on to the business district!" the Butt Grunt declared. The other grunts all cheered on, as they went to leave the Gardens, only to be stopped by our heroes, "What the...?! Oh, it's you chumps again!" the Butt Grunt said.

"We heard you guys were causing trouble. I don't think the locals take too kindly to that," Will stated.

"If that's what you think, then you're an even bigger chump than I was told," a gruff voice said. Out from the crowd of Grunts, a bitter looking man stepped before them. He had similar attire to the other Grunts. The only difference was that he had white hair, gold sunglasses, and necklace.

"I take it you're Guzma?" Will questioned.

"My reputation precedes me. Yeah, I'm the hated boss that beats you down, and beats you down, and never lets up: Guzma!" the man replied. He then took notice of the four Z Power Rings, "Huh, so you're on the Island Challenge, eh?" he asked.

"Yeah, what of it?" Will asked.

"Let me ask ya something. Why are you even bothering with this stupid tradition?" Guzma questioned.

"Obviously to help our Pokémon get stronger," Will retorted.

"The Trials won't do that for ya! Though, I find it a bit insulting that the Professor wants to hold a Pokémon League Tournament to decide Alola's champion. We already know who the strongest trainer in Alola is! No need for this League garbage!" Guzma snapped.

"That's only a given. After all, we'll be entering the Tournament when it comes full swing," Will declared.

"Is that so? Well, if that's the case, then I'll just have to beat down anyone who supports the professor! You and me! A two on two battle, right here and now!" Guzma declared, challenging Will.

"Very well then," Will accepted, as the two of them took their places on a nearby battlefield. The Grunts were on one side, while Will's entourage was on the other.

"Here's my Pokémon!" Guzma said, sending out a large, gray bug Pokémon, with an armor like exoskeleton.

"Golisopod, the Hard Scale Pokémon, a Bug and Water Type, and the evolved form of Wimpod. The shell covering it's body is harder than diamonds. It does whatever it takes to win," Rotom said.

"Ok, sounds like this one is going to be tough. But if I can poison it with Grimer, then I can at least whittle down it's stamina. Alright, go Grimer!" Will said, sending out the Sludge Pokémon, "Alright, use Sludge Bo..."

"First Impression," Guzma ordered. In the blink of an eye, Golisopod appeared in front of Grimer, then hit the Sludge Pokémon with it's claw, before it could use Sludge Bomb.

"What was that?! I didn't see Golisopod move!" Toby exclaimed.

"It's Golisopod's signature move! First Impression: It has incredible power, but it's main drawback is that it can only be used the first time the user is out on the battlefield," Rotom explained.

"So, a sort of one hit wonder. Interesting," Lisa commented.

"It did look to have real power behind it, but now it's used up for the battle. Grimer, use Sludge Bomb!" Will instructed. Grimer then hurled balls of sludge at Golisopod.

"Protect," Guzma ordered. Golisopod then summoned a barrier around it, stopping Sludge Bomb, "Now, use Razor Shell," he added. Golisopod then charged at Grimer, slashing its claws like swords at the Sludge Pokémon.

"Hang strong Grimer! Use Toxic!" Will instructed. Grimer then fired Toxic into Golisopod's face, causing the Hard Scale Pokémon to become badly poisoned.

"So, you got a hit in, eh? Well, enjoy it while it lasts! Golisopod, use Razor Shell again!" Guzma ordered. Golisopod once again went on the offensive, but it was moving more sluggishly. Grimer had an easier time dodging.

"Now, use Sludge Bomb!" Will instructed. Grimer was successful in landing a blow to Golisopod. However, once it did, Golisopod was recalled to it's Pokeball, and was replaced with what looked to be a giant spider Pokémon.

"AAAAAAHH! SPIDER!" Leni screeched, as she ran away, running into some trees, before falling unconscious.

"Ariados, the Long Leg Pokémon, a Bug and Poison Type. It spews treads from its mouth to catch prey. At night, it leaves it's web to go hunt aggressively," Rotom said.

"I've heard of some arachnid species' that are more active at night," Lisa commented.

"First, use Swords Dance, then into Cross Poison," Guzma ordered. Swords then appeared and rotated around Ariados, who glowed red. It then lunged at Grimer, and slashed the Sludge Pokémon with purple glowing legs in a cross fashion. Grimer was barely hanging on.

"I had a feeling Guzma was strong based on what Will told us, but I never anticipated this!" Lincoln commented.

"You have a point. How did Golisopod switch out with Ariados in the first place? That's gotta be cheating!" Lynn accused.

"Golisopod's signature ability: Emergency Escape. When it's stamina is dropped by at least half it's value, Golisopod retreats to conserve it's energy," Rotom quickly countered.

"C'mon Grimer! I know you can take on Ariados!" Will encouraged. Grimer then began to glow, and grow larger. When the light dissipated, Grimer was replaced with a very colorful pile of sludge with crystal like teeth.

"Grimer just evolved into Muk!" Fluttershy commented.

"Muk, Alola Form, the Sludge Pokémon, a Poison and Dark Type. There are over a hundred kinds of poisons in it's body. Chemical reactions between different poisons are the source of it's vitality. Muk has also learned some new moves as well. Muk is now able to use Fire Punch and Crunch," Rotom stated.

"Wow, that's convenient. Alright Muk, give Ariados a Fire Punch!" Will instructed. Muk then stretched out it's arm, with a flame covered fist, which collided with Ariados, which then burst into flames.

"Looks like that attack burned Ariados," Lincoln commented.

"Since it has been afflicted with Burn status, Ariados' attack power will drop considerably," Rotom commented.

"Not to mention Fire Type attacks are super effective against Bug Pokémon," Toby added.

"Both of Guzma's Pokémon have a status ailment, and have taken damage, while Will still has one other Pokémon that hasn't battled yet. I'd say the advantage is squarely in his favor," Lisa declared.

"Don't get to ahead of yourselves. Our boss is just gettin' warmed up," a grunt said.

"Ariados, use Pin Missile!" Guzma ordered. Ariados then fired off needles at Muk, who was unable to tank the attack, and went down to defeat. Will then recalled Muk.

"You did great Muk. Take a well earned rest," Will said, as he readied his second Pokeball, "Go, Decidueye!" Will said, sending out Decidueye.

"You first sent our a Poison and Dark type, now you going with a Grass and Ghost Type? Man, you are desperate," Guzma taunted.

"That's some big talk, coming from someone who has two Pokémon with status conditions," Will retorted. Guzma seemed irked by this, but retained some level of composure.

"In any case, I still have Ariados working for me! And nothing's better than a Cross Poison, eh Ariados?" Guzma quipped, as Ariados went in for the attack.

"Decidueye, stop Ariados with Spirit Shackle!" Will instructed. Decidueye fired it's Arrow Quill at the Long Leg Pokémon, immobilizing it, "Now, finish it off with Leaf Blade!" Decidueye then lunged at Ariados, and slashed it with blade like wings, knocking it out.

"Now it's all tied up," Toby commented.

"Alright, Golisopod, get back out there!" Guzma said, sending Golisopod out again, who was still reeling from the effects of Toxic.

"Golisopod's taken quite a bit of damage from it's battle with Muk, but I still need to keep on my guard. Decidueye, let's keep a distance with Razor Leaf!" Will instructed. Decidueye fired off leaves that homed in on Golisopod.

"Protect, now!" Guzma stated. Like before, Golisopod surrounded itself with a barrier, which the leaves all bounced off of. However, Golisopod began panting, as Toxic was taking it's toll, "Golisopod, eat this, quick!" Guzma said, tossing a Pecha Berry at his partner, who quickly devoured it, curing it's poison.

"Is that even legal?!" Lynn questioned.

"In street battles like this, it is. There are no limitations on medicinal items a trainer may use on their Pokémon. But in big name matches, such as a Battle Royale, it all comes down to a Pokémon's endurance," Rotom explained.

"Now Golisopod, use Poison Jab!" Golisopod's claws glowed purple, as it lunged at Decidueye.

"Quick, stop Golisopod with Spirit Shackle!" Will instructed. Once again, Decidueye fired its Arrow Quill at Golisopod's shadow, immobilizing it, "Now, use Leaf Blade!" Decidueye then slashed Golisopod with it's wings, knocking out the Hard Scale Pokémon. Guzma had a cocky look on his face, before he started scratching his head frantically.

"GAH! GUZMA, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU! TIME TO LET LOOSE YOU VAUNTED TEAM AND DESTROY EVERYTHING!" Guzma yelled.

"THAT'S ENOUGH!" everyone turned to see Kukui standing before them. He looked less than pleased with Guzma.

"Well, if it ain't my fellow reject. A trainer who wasn't able to become a Trial Captain!" Guzma stated.

"Speak for yourself Guzma. It's not I couldn't become a Captain. I chose not to. I had other things on my mind at the time," Kukui stated.

"Well whatever your reason, I still never did see eye to eye with your ideals and plans. We've already got these moldy traditions, and now you're wanting to establish a Pokémon League?! C'mon Kukui! You and I both know who's the strongest trainer in all of Alola!" Guzma spat.

"You never know. Besides, it's a great way to advertise the Alola Region, to make it know throughout the world," Kukui argued. Guzma sighed.

"Whatever..... Grunts! We're pulling out!" Guzma ordered. The grunts all quickly followed after him.

"Sorry you guys had to see that," Kukui said.

"It's fine Professor. I take it you and Guzma have history?" Will asked.

"Indeed we do. Much like with Molayne and I, Guzma was an aspiring Trainer. Though I don't know too much about his past, he was always aiming to be number one in Pokémon Battles. Though when it came time to choose Trial Captains, he was outraged when he found out he wasn't chosen to be one. As a result, he went on to form Team Skull, who are a compilation of trainers who oppose the Island Challenge," Kukui explained.

"He sounds like he has problems," Luna commented.

"Indeed. But anyhow, how'd your trial up at the Observatory go?" Kukui asked.

"We were victorious, though the battle against the Totem felt a bit unfair in our favor. So, we're going to be training without our heaviest hitter Pokémon. We need to be able to grow as trainers through hard challenges," Fluttershy replied.

"A very good idea. Trainers love to win battles, but they can often get bored if a battle is too easy," Kukui replied.

"Oh yeah! I just remembered. Molayne asked us to give this back to you," Will said, giving Kukui the Luchador Mask.

"Ah, thanks a bunch! This was a collectors item a few years back. Here, the three of you can probably make use of these," Kukui said, giving Will, Fluttershy, and Toby a Green, Blue, and Red Z Crystal, respectively. They saw symbols resembling Decidueye, Incineroar, and Primarina.

"Are these....?!" Toby questioned.

"Yep, Z Crystals exclusively for the final forms of the Alola Starter Pokémon. There's Decidium Z, Primarium Z, and Incinium Z. They'll upgrade Spirit Shackle, Sparkling Aria, and Darkest Lariat into supercharged Z Moves," Kukui explained.

"We'll have to remember to use these in future battles," Will commented.

"By the way, wasn't Lille with you guys?" Kukui asked, not seeing his assistant anywhere.

"I'm right here," they all turned to see Lillie walking towards them, along with a cute little girl with purple hair, dressed in a raggedy dress.

"And Acerola too!" the girl added.

"It looks like you've cleared the Electric Type Trial with ease," Lillie commented.

"Yeah. With a little too much ease. So, we're going to be training ourselves with the other Pokémon we've had in our reserves," Will replied.

"Well, if you've cleared Soffy's trial, then you should head to southern part of the island. The Ghost Trial should prove to be a real challenge," Acerola stated.

"We'll keep that in mind," Will replied, as Acerola and Kukui took their leave.

"If I could ask you something, there is a desert where the Ruins of Abundance are located. I was wondering if you all could help me to find it. The desert isn't terribly off course from the path to the Ghost Type Trial," Lillie asked.

"Sure thing," Will replied.

"Oh, thank you! I heard that the island deity of Ula'ula Island goes by the name of Tapu Bulu. I read that it's a very lazy Pokémon, but it doesn't hesitate to charge into battle," Lillie replied.

"She stole my thunder!" Rotom commented indignantly.

"You guys should go on ahead. I'll catch up with you once I'm done here in Malie City," Lillie said, as she took her leave.

"The best route to the Souther part of Ula'ula Island is to head along Route 11," Rotom said, displaying a picture of a map with a preplanned course.

"Well, we should head on out," Will said, as they left Malie Garden.

Author's Note:

In the next chapter, Lynn has a self revelatory moment, after thinking about all she and her friends and family have gone through with her. Will this be enough for her and Gyarados to successfully become a team like her brother and sisters have with their Pokémon? Stay Tuned, and find out!

Team so far:
Will: Decidueye (M), Alolan Muk (F), Aron (M), Corphish (M), Seedot (M), Blitzle (M)



Fluttershy: Primarina (F),Crabrawler (M), Pupitar (M), Phanpy (F), Nosepass (M), Bronzor (N/A),



Toby: Pikachu (F), Noibat (M), Metang*(N/A), Skrelp (M), Growlithe (M) Pawniard (F)



Serenity: Lopunny (F), Charjabug (M) Eevee* (M), Budew (F), Seedot (F),Mareep*(M)



Silver Spoon: Azumarill (F), Magneton (N/A), Numel (F), Eevee (F) Helioptile (F), Shroomish (F)



Lincoln: Mareanie* (M)





Lori: Skarmory (F)




Lynn: Gyarados (M)




Lana: Minccinno (F)





Lisa: Elgyem (M)


In Storage or in Training:
Will: Ash Hat Pikachu(M)(Kanto and Kalos), Clauncher (M), Skrelp (M), Krabby (F), Growlithe (M), Slugma (M) Numel, (M) Litleo (M), Buizel (F), Shroomish (M), Tangela (F), Budew (M), Ferroseed (M), Magmar (F), Litleo (M), Electrike (F), Tynamo (F), Helioptile (M), Bronzor (N/A), Pawniard (M), Alolan Marowak (M), Goodra (M), Trevenant*(M), Hariyama (M)



Fluttershy: Ash Hat Pikachu (M)(Unova), Buizel (M), Clauncher (M), Skrelp (F), Corphish (F), Krabby (M), Croconaw (M), Slugma (M), Growlithe (F), Magby (M), Numel (F), Litleo (F), Combusken (M), Vaporeon (M), Eevee (F), Seedot (F), Shroomish (M), Tangela (M), Budew (F), Ferroseed (M) Grotle (M), Bayleef (F), Nosepass (M),Toucannon (F), Hawlucha (M) Goodra (F) Smeargle (M), Electrike (M), Blitzle (M), Tynamo (F), Helioptile (F), Aron (F), Pawniard* (F), Steelix (M), Zoroark*(F), Lycanroc (Dusk Form)(M).




Toby: Ash Hat Pikachu (M) (Sinnoh), Buizel (M), Clauncher (F), Corphish (M), Slugma (F), Magby (M), Numel (M), Alakazam (M), Seedot (M), Tangela (F), Budew (F), Ferroseed (M), Grovyle (M), Scizor (M), Gothorita (F), Duosion (M) Goodra (F), Tsareena* (F), Alolan Vulpix (Snowball)(F), Turtonator (M), Vulpix (F), Delphox (F),Incineroar (M), Lycanroc (Midnight Form)(F), Mawile (F), Empoleon (M), Flareon (F), Espeon (F), Gardevoir* (F), Charizard (M), Luxio (M), Electrike (M), Blitzle (F), Tynamo (M), Helioptile (M), Aron (M), Bronzor (N/A), Typhlosion (F),




Serenity: Spinda (M), Goodra (F) Clauncher (M), Skrelp (F), Corphish (M), Krabby (F), Marshtomp (M), Growlithe (M), Slugma (F), Magby (F), Numel (F), Litleo (F), Pignite (M), (M), Detective Pikachu (M), , Shroomish (F), Tangela (M), Ferroseed*(F) Ivysaur (M), Leafeon (F), Dewott (F), Minun (F), Electrike (M), Blitzle (F), Tynamo(M), Helioptile (F), Aron (M), Bronzor (N/A), Pawniard (M)Pikachu (Chubbykins) (M), Buizel (F) Misdreavus (F)




Silver Spoon: Buizel (M), Skrelp (F), Corphish (F), Krabby (M), Plusle (F), Slugma (F), Magby (M), Litleo (M), Ash Hat Pikachu (M)(Hoenn), Growlithe (F), Seedot (M), Tangela (M), Budew (F), Ferroseed (M), Servine (F), Clauncher (F), Gallade (M), Blastoise (F), Electrike* (M), Blitzle (F), Tynamo (M), , Aron (F), Bronzor (N/A), Pawniard (F), Jolteon (F), Infernape (F), Butterfree* (M) Goodra* (F), Lycanroc (Midday Form) (M)


Totem Stickers So far: 66/100

PreviousChapters Next