• Published 17th Jul 2017
  • 4,476 Views, 854 Comments

An Exercise In Management - Nameless Narrator



A simple drone "accidentally" failed to leave the Badlands hive for the invasion to Canterlot. He was only two weeks old, one of the clutch specifically created to break through the protective shield. Now starving, he's just trying to survive.

  • ...
12
 854
 4,476

PreviousChapters Next
7: Onwards to "I hate you"!

“Uuuugh...”

“What… happened…?”

“I remember… Eight… and then-”

My dizzy attempts at standing up are cut short by the ice shower provided by my drone companion’s motionless, prone body.

“She punched me. Oh no...”

I start shaking the drone who doesn’t respond whatsoever.

“She said she couldn’t drain me, but she said nothing about this guy. DAMN IT! Why did I trust a high-rank? Why did HE beg me to trust her?”

The red dot of energy inside the drone is only barely noticeable. He’s as close to death as he can be without actually being a bare husk.

“Alright, alright, alright, I can still squeeze something out of myself. Just… hold on. You’ll be back on your hooves and failing to understand the world in no time. We drones have to work together. I have few drops to share, I must… uuuuurgh!”

No matter how much I focus or push, I have no love to transfer. I’m almost completely out, and my body knows that better than I do.

“Dammit, dammit, dammit! We could have just let her rot in that clearing. We could have drained her to make us last another day, but noooo… you had to get swayed by a pretty face. We are changelings, for queen’s sake! We exist to mislead and lie. I bet she didn’t even fight the other two. I bet she teamed up with one of them to drain the other, and then backstabbed her accomplice.”

A twig snaps behind me.

“I’m not sure whether to feel insulted, hurt… or angry. No, furious.”

She’s standing there, positively glowing with energy to my eyes. It’s not actually that much, but with how starved I am, she feels like a week’s worth of lunches.

“E- Eight? Heheheh… is feeling merciful an option?”

With an evil chuckle, she shoves me aside with the strength of a moving glacier, walks past me to the dummy, and touches his horn with her long one. The little spark of green light she sends out is absorbed by him, he whimpers like someone being woken up from deep sleep, twitches, and then jumps up, fully awake.

“Aaaah! You drained me and you punched the boss! Bad long leg lady! I’m not buying you pet food for that! I thought you were nice! I thought-”

His tirade continues as he smacks his forelegs ineffectively against her chest. Eight is watching him, corner of her mouth curling upwards. It’s the one where she does still have her fang, but that’s the least terrifying part.

“-and I was going to buy you a nice collar and-”

“You do realize that you keeping her as a pet was a joke, right?”

“YOU’RE OKAY, BOSS!”

Aaand now he’s hanging around my neck, poking my chin with his stubby horn.

“I wouldn’t mind a collar, but if someone’s going to chain me, it won’t be you, drone. So, ‘boss’, what’s our next course of action?”

“Don’t you ‘next course of action’ me! Explain yourself!”

“These are my legs, they are for moving around. This is a mouth, useful for eating. Next up, eyes. Helpful for not hitting trees on the way-”

“I’m starting to hate you...”

“You mean up until now you were just pretending? Well acted, you could have made a great infiltrator one day, oh glorious one.”

“EIGHT!”

“Oh alright. You’re no fun.”

“After being punched out for hours, waking up to see my only friend sucked dry, I think I have the right for some freaking ANSWERS!”

Eight raises an eyebrow.

“Friend...? Now that’s an interesting concept.”

“Look, he didn’t have to do anything for me, but he did, and I wanted company. He’s sure as heck more than a servant, but I can see how that would be a difficult idea to grasp for you.”

She frowns, and taps on dummy’s head who stops hugging me and backs away..

“Number, drone?”

“A lot, miss.”

“He’s three hundred thousand something, one of the newest clutch.”

“And you, my honorable leader?”

“Please stop calling me that.”

“I’ll make up new ones.”

“Grrrr...”

“Anyway, my King, you want answers. That goes for both of us, although our questions are vastly different. I’ll give you what burns you the most. I punched you because I needed you out cold and I didn’t have the liberty to take you with me. I couldn’t forcibly drain you, simply because it isn’t possible for me, and I needed love to infiltrate the town. Ordering dummy here to give me everything and then enter dormancy was the fastest option. I told you I could do a lot with very little, and while he could barely walk, with the same amount of love I was able to transform, get into a bar, seduce a pony, and bring you back a lot more. You, drone, feeling better?”

“The best I can remember, miss!”

“There you have it, my new… master and owner.”

“Did you have to say it in that sultry tone? You could make a statue go for a cold bath.”

“I AM the best.”

“...that’s what terrifies me…”

“There’s no need for that.”

“What do you want me for? Why do you hang around? Why, which makes the least sense, did you return and share the stolen love?”

She raises her foreleg and waves it from side to side.

“Nuh uh uh, you do something for me, I do something for you. You saved me… with some ‘lateral persuasion’, and I told you why I knocked you out. I do believe another service is required.”

“...hate hate hate hate...”

“Maybe only mild irritation, my future mate.”

“WHAAAAAAAT?!”

“Told you I could make up better ones. Trust me.”

“I don’t. Actually, less with everything you say.”

“Then you don’t want my answers? Darn, and I thought I had an excellent bargaining chip concerning the voices in your head.”

Sighing, I hang my head low in defeat.

“Just… just tell me… do you really know something or are you just leading me on?”

“I know… something. Whether it’s all you want to know, that’s a different question.”

“Fine then, fine! What do you want?”

“We hole up in this town for a while to recover, refill, and gain some information. I’m afraid your ‘voices’ mean that something went wrong with the invasion.”

“The whole ‘Hive will survive’ thing?”

She nods and looks at the last member of our trio quietly poking some tall blades of grass and watching them move. Come to think of it, until recently he’s seen only bare rocks, dirty water, and luminescent goo.

“You, drone… no, that won’t do. We need a name or at least a number for you.”

“Three hundred… thousand… a lot?”

“I think this one is for you, my breed steed.”

“PLEASE!” I facehoof, “Fine, I don’t know… Steve? Steve is a name. Griffon one, I think. Do you want it?”

“I’m alright with it if you want, boss, but I’d like a pony one more.”

“Sure, got anything in mind?”

He looks at his only property, at me, at the goopy broken piece of a spear again, then back at me.

“Poke Stick? That way everyone will know this is mine and that I own something!”

He and Eight… are they both like this because I gave them something? Is it that rare among changelings? Come to think of it, it might be. I never owned anything, and the more I think about it, the more sure I am I never would even if we won.

“How about something more changeling-y. Three, maybe?”

“Whoh- wha- huh- high rank? But I can’t beat up anyone?”

“Hey, you carried me on your back, almost. So that would make you second in command, but I’m keeping a spot free just in case. If it feels too weird you can call your transformation Poke Stick or something.”

“...you are the best, boss...”

“You’ve made him cry.”

“Yep, I’m the villain here, not you, miss Punch-a-lot.”

“I prefer Eight. No, that isn’t correct. I’d prefer One, but I need to prove to myself I can achieve that rank. What about you, King?”

“I’m not a king, a leader, or anything. I’m a drone, that’s all.”

“...owned by a drone… hnnnngh...”

“Why did you shiver like that?”

“N- no reason.”

“Riiiight.”

“I’m just cold from the love transfer, that’s all.”

“That didn’t sound-”

“Can we infiltrate the town while it’s still dark, King? Here-”

She grabs my foreleg and pulls it towards her chest. Immediately, I feel a rush of energy flowing from her to me. It stops soon, but it’s more than I’ve ever had.

“S- s- s- so m- much...”

My eyes must be sparkling or something. This is fresh, only slightly tainted by venom. So… revitalizing!

“You’re shaking like an addict getting a refill.”

“I’ve… I’ve never felt anything like this.”

“We need more, a LOT more, but it’s a start. My advice is to transform.”

Two green flashes later, Eight and Spear Poke or Poke Spear -wait, Poke Stick, right- assume their disguises as ponies. Eight is the slender, tall pegasus mare with coal-black mane and light grey coat again. Poke… Poke is a light blue, brown-maned colt who looks about… thirteen? I’m not good with pony age.

“Don’t you want to be an adult at least? It’s gonna be hard to get love looking like this.”

“I dunno, boss. This feels natural.”

Shrugging, I focus on my own new shape.

Nothing happens.

Over and over and over.

Nothing happens.

“Uhhh… I think something’s wrong with me.”

“A little performance anxiety?”

“I’ve never transformed before, there was no need. I just… I THINK I know how it goes, I just can’t do it. Damn...”

“Are you okay, boss?”

“Maybe that’s my defect? You’re not too bright, some drones could barely fly, and I guess I just can’t shapeshift. There’s no way I can get into town looking like this… but that’s okay… that’s okay. Eight gave me enough love to make it someplace bigger where I might go unnoticed. You can go with her and-”

“Do I have to punch you out again and carry you on my back?”

“...or tied under my belly with your head strapped between my thighs...”

“What was the second part? Nevermind. Look, you can blend in, I can’t. That’s a pretty bad trait for a CHANGEling.”

“Come on, boss, we can get you a… long raincoat or something, or maybe-”

“Or maybe I already thought about that eventuality and the guy I sucked dry owns a nice house? How about that, my just-a-drone King?”

“You expected this would happen?”

“Not to you, granted, but I did. Now, I hate to be pushy-”

“No, you bloody well don’t!”

“-Details, details. We NEED to get to his place under the cover of darkness more than before. Can you stop for a moment and trust me… please?”

“You’re not going to turns us in to ponies for reward and to divert attention from yourself?”

“I’ll buy you the best pet food I can, miss. Umm, if the boss gives me some money.”

“Now how can I resist an offer like that? Shiny collar, expensive bowl with my number on it-”

“Oh shut up, we’re going. Lead the way.”

With a deep and slow inwards laugh, Eight turns away from me and her tail swats my muzzle before she takes course for the supposed town still hidden in the darkness.

“I will, my owner, I will.”

PreviousChapters Next