• Published 17th Jul 2017
  • 214 Views, 3 Comments

Bringing the Magic Back - Amaranthine Thought



a thousand years ago, Celestia and Luna slew each other. Five hundred years ago, Starswirl set off to try and find a cure to the curse. And now, six mare are chosen to be Equestria's last chance. If they ever figure that out anyway.

  • ...
0
 3
 214

Chapter 3

Rarity had gotten little sleep that night. She woke tired and worn, and made breakfast earlier than she normally did so. Sweetie came down later on, dragging her suitcases behind her, looking as depressed as a filly might.

Rarity near teared up at the sad sight, but again, she resisted. Again, she held onto her beliefs, trying to tell herself that Sweetie would adapt quickly, and be just fine.

Breakfast was eaten in silence, Sweetie eating listlessly, to Rarity’s minor worry.

As they finished, Rarity stood, and walked to shed her nightgown nearby, and shake herself slightly, checking the mirror. A sad mare looked back at her as she touched up herself with some magic, doing a far quicker and frankly worse job than she normally would. Finding the sight acceptable, she turned back to gently call, “Let’s go, Sweetie.”

Sweetie climbed out of the chair, and had her head low as she trudged towards her suitcases.

“No, no, leave them.” Rarity said, making Sweetie look up to her. She knew that if she were to bring the suitcases, whatever happiness they might possibly find would only be dampened or even ruined. “I’ll pick them up later. Let’s go.”

The two sisters headed out into Dawn’s Light, Rarity leading the way as Sweetie trailed after her. The sky above was cloudy and grey, almost as if echoing the emotions of the pair as they went.

Normally, Rarity was perfectly able to find things to do in Dawn’s Light. In fact, she had forgone sleep several times before, just so she could experience more. She knew some places she could take Sweetie to; she had spent part of the night imagining this trip.

But then, she wandered aimlessly, unable to think of anything, and unable to overcome the sadness that draped over them. It felt pointless to go anywhere, or to do anything, yet, the idea that she should cut this short and head to Shining Star soon felt even worse.

She found herself reaching the gardens eventually, pausing outside. The gardens of Dawn’s Light had sometimes been a perfect spot for her to rest, and escape the bustle of other places. The nature here, tended day and night, was normally a calming, relaxing sight, and sometimes an inspiration.

“…Go and see the flowers, Sweetie.” she said, sighing softly again. “Stay in view; I’ll be right over there.” She finished, gesturing towards a nearby bench, and heading that way, Sweetie watching her go before heading off.

Rarity near collapsed onto the bench, staring up at the grey sky and trying to get her mind in order. Struggling to try and regain her earlier determination, or to at least try and dispel the misery she felt. She had a duty to try and make this day happy for Sweetie…

Rarity shut her eyes, and took a deep breath, gently wiping at her eyes as she tried to find some peace.

Sweetie meanwhile, wandered along the beds of flowers, staring at them mostly sightlessly, consumed by her own thoughts.

She was going to leave today. Off to the school. Rarity had said she would visit, but… It wouldn’t be the same.

No more living with family. No more being near Rarity, watching her work and design. No more sleeping in a giant bed, secure in the knowledge that her big sister was nearby. No more caring for Opal. No more helping Rarity handle customers. No more of those weird lessons Rarity kept trying to teach her. No more sewing practice. No more happy times or fun memories with her big sister.

She wiped at her eyes again, taking a slightly shuddering breath, finally stopping by a bed of roses. The bed reminded her a little of Rarity’s own bed; her sheets had roses printed on them.

A faint sunbeam shone down, not that Sweetie noticed nor cared.

“…Are you alright?” a soft voice asked her. Mature, and feminine, it sounded like it came from above her, as though whoever was speaking was looking down at her.

“No.” Sweetie said miserably, wiping her eyes. She still didn’t notice the sunbeam, and didn’t turn around. “I’m sad.”

“…What has happened, little one?”

“I made my sister really mad.” Sweetie said. “And now she doesn’t want me near her anymore, and is sending me away to a school.”

“Now, I don’t think she doesn’t want you near her.” the voice said, soothing. “Has she told you that?”

“No, but… but she’s sending me away and I don’t want to go.” Sweetie said, sniffling, tearing up again.

“…We all wish that something was not.” the voice softly told her, sounding a little sad itself. “That we could change was is, to not have to face what we find ourselves facing. But we cannot; we can only face them as best we can. I am sure that your sister isn’t sending you away because she doesn’t want you; she wants you to learn and grow, as all fillies must.”

“But, but I want… I want to stay.” Sweetie managed, starting to cry again. “She’s the only family I have left…”

The voice was silent as she cried. It wasn't until she slowed again, trying to wipe her eyes with wet legs did it speak again.

“…Take this.” it told her softly, a golden rose descending in front of her. It seemed to glow slightly, encapsulated within a golden aura, and Sweetie gently took it, finding it without thorns.

“…It’s pretty.” Sweetie said sniffling, still sad, but finding the rose a happy thing regardless.

“Go and give it to the stallion underneath the willow.” the voice told her, a soft touch gently pushing her head to see some unicorn standing underneath the hanging branches. “Do so, and I am sure that you will find your sorrow ending.” it finished, the sunbeam fading away.

“But, but why,” Sweetie started, finally turning to look behind her, only to stop.

No unicorn was behind her, to her sudden confusion. She blinked, and got up, peering around to see if any unicorn was nearby, only to find herself mostly alone; the nearest unicorn to her was the stallion under the tree.

She looked at the rose again, and then at the stallion, getting up and heading toward him, intent on giving him the rose, like the voice had told her to.

Nearer, she saw that he wore a big cloak, one that covered him up like one of Rarity’s dummies when she put the dust cloth on them. She wondered how he even saw with that on, seeing as how his face was obscured as well, and neared him. The tree itself had a small circular bed of dark blue flowers around its trunk.

His head turned to look at her, and she offered him the rose, telling him, “This is for you.”

“…Thank you.” he said, surprised, the rose gently rising from her grasp. “It’s beautiful.”

Sweetie nodded, watching him. “Why are you all covered up?” she asked him, curious when she might not normally have been.

“I… I have a condition.” the stallion answered her, seeming uncomfortable.

“A condition?” Sweetie asked. “What sort of condition?”

“N, nothing you would want to know about.” he told her quickly.

Sweetie advanced on him when she normally wouldn’t, curiosity driving her; the voice said that giving him the rose would make her sadness go away. Did it mean she should get to know him better?

“Why not?” she asked him, the stallion backing up. “Just a peek?”

“N, no.” he stuttered, continuing to back away from her. “Look, just,”

Sweetie saw him nearing the flower bed, and darted forward, yelling, “Look out!”

He yelled in turn as she grabbed onto him, seizing onto one hoof. His cloak fluttered to her at her pull, and she was momentarily blinded by it, letting go of him to try and get it off of her.

“You nearly stepped on the…” she began, only to trail off as she got the cloak off of herself, seeing him without it, his eyes wide and fearful.

“Please don’t scre,”

Sweetie screamed as loudly as she could, near throwing herself backwards and flailing in blind terror, the cloak tangling her legs. Other unicorns looked at her scream, saw the stallion near her, and they screamed as well, a panic swiftly happening as unicorns ran.

Sweetie screamed again as the stallion swiped at her, snatching his cloak back, Sweetie sure he’d just tried to grab her. Moments after, however, something yanked her backwards, away from him.

Rarity then got in front of her, shoving Sweetie behind her before rearing up, her horn flashing dangerously, her eyes glaring with near murderous hate as she screamed, “Get away from my little sister!”

The stallion gaped at her, before a shout came, and his head whipped to the side, to spot a pair of guards rushing, spear first, towards them. He then ran in the other direction, leaving Rarity to pant, glaring after him as the guards ran past her after him.

Then she looked to Sweetie, curled up on the grass in a small, trembling ball, and hurried to her.

“He, he’s gone.” she breathed, starting to relax.

I touched him!” Sweetie screamed, making Rarity pale.

“May, maybe you missed?” she quavered, trembling herself, staring at the terrified Sweetie.

I felt his fur!”

Rarity swallowed, closing her eyes for a moment before she reopened them, fearful, but determined. “Back home, quickly.” She said, getting Sweetie to her hooves. “I have lilacs there, now, quickly!”

The pair ran as the clouds above darkened. Rarity kept slower so Sweetie could keep up, but Sweetie kept tripping, still terrified far too much to properly run at all. Each time she tripped, she grew more afraid, and Rarity more distressed and fearful.

Eventually, Sweetie cried like a newborn foal when she tripped again, unable to move anymore from terror. Rarity turned back, seized onto her and threw her onto her back, using magic to keep her there as she ran as fast as she could as the rain began.

She burst into her home, slamming the door open, and near flew up the stairs into her room. There, she tore the covers off of her bed, throwing the cat into the air, and piled them onto the floor in a roughly circular shape, before she carefully put the still sobbing Sweetie in the middle.

Then she ran and began tearing drawers out of her dresser like a mad mare, trying to recall where she had put the lilacs. Only for the last drawer she looked in to reveal a bundle of dried sticks and some dark brown debris.

“Dread Steed’s horn.” She cursed under her breath, turning back to Sweetie and trying to sound calm as she told her, “I have to go get some more lilacs, I’ll be right back!”

Sweetie and Rarity both screamed as thunder boomed, and as Sweetie’s cries grew worse, Rarity girt her teeth and plopped her pillows atop the sobbing filly, yelling, “I’ll only be moments, be brave Sweetie!”

She leapt down her stairs and ran through the still open door into the storm outside.

Sweetie grabbed onto one of the pillows, and sobbed into it, trembling in terror. She flinched at each howl of wind, and screamed with each crack of thunder, Opal hiding under the bed, a puffed-up ball of confusion and fear. Sweetie kept trying, and mostly failing, to be brave like Rarity had told her to.

How could she, when she knew what was happening to her?

Rarity returned in a minute, a time period that to both ponies felt like forever, carrying a flower shop’s worth of lilacs with her, sopping wet, rushing back.

She threw the flowers at Sweetie, who desperately grabbed hold of them. The instant she did so, she began calming, still crying, still shaking, but no longer so terrified as she had been.

Rarity gave a great sigh, and began to spread the flowers around, just in case, as Sweetie slowly began to breathe a little more normally. “Did, did anything happen?” she asked a little breathlessly as she did so.

“The, the house kept, kept shaking.” Sweetie weakly told her, still badly shaken, but now feeling safe once again.

“Then I made it just in time.” Rarity breathed. “Thank the sun…”

Sweetie spotted Rarity moving towards the door, and suddenly screamed, “Don’t leave me!”, making Rarity startle, and turn to Sweetie, who was tearing up again at the mere thought.

“Sweetie, Sweetie, I’m never leaving you alone like that ever again.” Rarity said, hurrying to her and carefully leaning down to hold the trembling filly. “You’re my precious little sister, Sweetie. I’m sorry for ever forgetting that.”

Sweetie pressed her face against Rarity, still having a slight death grip on the lilacs, taking even more comfort in her presence, and her words.

“…Forget Shining Star. You’re going to stay with me. I can’t believe I ever thought… but you’re safe, and nothing bad happened. You’re safe now. You’re safe.”

Sweetie pressed against her a little harder, wanting to speak, but unable to find her own voice. Crying again, but for different reasons than before.

Rarity held her a little longer, until she felt Sweetie regaining control of herself, before she pulled back. Sweetie looked up at her with teary and emotional eyes, and Rarity, her own a little teary, told her, “Let the lilacs do their work. I’m going to unpack your things and get cleaned up.”

Sweetie nodded, curling up with the lilacs as Rarity left, gently shutting the door behind her. She shifted, and fearfully peered at her hoof, the one she had grabbed the stallion with, before taking great solace in that it was as white as it always had been, sighing and curling up into a slightly more comfortable position.

Rarity gave a soft sigh once free of the room, and headed to her bathroom, thinking about what had happened.

To even imagine that something like that could happen in Dawn’s Light. How had that stallion even made it into the city, she wondered as she entered the room. There were guards, and gates, and all that, but there he had been, right in the park, where any filly could have wandered up to him.

Just like Sweetie had. And if she had followed her first instinct to leave with every unicorn else when the screams came… if she had not somehow recognized Sweetie’s voice screaming…

Rarity shuddered, throwing such dark thoughts away. She had recognized Sweetie’s voice, and she had made it in time. She hadn’t even had the faintest intention of even going near the stallion, intent on just pulling Sweetie away as fast as she could. Up until she saw him swipe at her.

She hadn’t even known she could be so angry. Nor so brave as to stand up to something like that, willing to actually fight it for her little sister’s sake. She gave some thanks that the guards had shown up in time to chase him off as she stepped into her shower.

Even if she had fought him and managed to incapacitate him, she would have either touched or been touched. Just like Sweetie had.

The sheer shock when Sweetie told her that she had had been the single worst one in all Rarity’s life. She had almost thought she was going to watch her little sister… then she had become resolute to save her. The fear that lanced through her with each of Sweetie’s cries as they ran, the terror that grew alongside determination…

She shuddered as hot water washed over her, relaxing her. Perhaps worse than finding out that Sweetie had touched him was to discover that her emergency lilacs had long since desiccated away to nothing in a drawer. The feeling that she had already run out of time, offset by the burning determination to save Sweetie.

Her legs wobbled as she sighed again, taking solace in that she had somehow been quick enough. She had never run so far nor so quickly in all her life, but she had somehow obtained the lilacs before Sweetie… before anything happened. She didn’t regret a single moment of those runs.

Save for, perhaps, robbing the flower shop of the lilacs. She had even damaged the door when she had used it to turn around instantly in the storm, grabbing every lilac she could see before running off again. She’d return later to pay for the flowers and damage, she decided. The shopkeep would understand.

She stepped out of the shower, and dried herself off. To think that it had taken nearly losing Sweetie for her to realize just how much the filly meant to her. The sheer pettiness that had driven her to imagine that Sweetie would be happier away, and that she herself would be happier without, only seen for what it was when she had seen Sweetie helpless before that stallion.

Forget the rumors, forget the dropping sales. Sweetie was staying with her, and if her life couldn’t fit the filly, then Rarity would change her life so it would. She had more time now anyway; time she would use to be a better sister to Sweetie, to care for her precious little sister as she should have from the very first day.

She went to grab the luggage, and took it back into Sweetie’s room. She had barely begun to think again when she hesitated, looking at some of Sweetie’s outfits with a discerning eye as she began to unpack.

Then, with some care, she slowly put them back, an idea coming to her. A wonderful, beautiful idea.

Rarity had never made clothes for children before. She had made it a point not to, in fact, finding that immature minds lacked the capacity to appreciate her creations and designs, much less to understand the nuances and subtleties of them. She had felt it a waste to do so at all, and had occasionally refused to make something for grown unicorns who thought that clothes were just clothes.

However, the idea of making Sweetie a wardrobe all her own creations appealed. She recalled that Sweetie had always loved to be involved in the designing process, and that the filly enjoyed dressing up as well.

Rarity smiled, picturing it. Sweetie, her precious little sister, the best dressed filly in all of Dawn’s Light. She could already picture two, maybe three, outfits for her, and Rarity nodded to herself, determined to make that a reality.

She went back to her room, and reentered to hesitate, finding Sweetie at peace amongst the lilacs, sleeping, exhausted after her terrible fright. She smiled at the filly, used a touch of magic to cover her with the same sheets she lied atop, and went to her own bed, taking a few extra blankets from underneath it to cover it and then her as she climbed within.

She looked at the sleeping Sweetie, and smiled again as sleep swiftly took her.

Outside, in the storm, a number of unicorn guards patrolled the streets, while others searched the alleys. Trying to find the stallion from before. But they couldn’t; he had been chased, but the guards chasing him had sworn he had turned into an alley and just vanished. And since teleportation was blocked in the city, he couldn’t possibly have escaped from the heart of Dawn’s Light in that manner.

Yet, it seemed he had, though most felt he had somehow slipped away and was still nearby, hence the patrols. The only traces left were his cloak, fallen in the same alley he had ducked into, and a single golden rose that had laid atop the fallen cloth.