• Published 17th Jul 2017
  • 1,785 Views, 29 Comments

Elements of Equestria - Bookpony579



In a world full of magic, can Twilight defeat Sunset and discover who she's meant to be?

  • ...
4
 29
 1,785

Chapter 2 (updated)

Twilight Sparkle was running through the darkened halls of Canterlot High in terror. She came upon a door and, upon opening it, revealed the faceless, black forms of the students there. The only visible sign of color was their glowing cyan eyes, as though they were under a spell. She shrieked and continued running. She continued running while avoiding avoiding even more hoards of the faceless zombies until she finally came upon the gym. There, in the center of the gym, standing upright on a pedestal was a magenta gem cut into the form of a six pointed star. It glowed slightly and Twilight felt herself drawn to the gem, as though it was calling out to her. Twilight approached the gem and upon reaching it, raised her hand towards it. As soon as contact was made the gem glowed even brighter.

Just as she was about to grab it in her hand she heard a noise behind her. She looked around and was horrified to discover that she was surrounded by glowing-eyed zombies. As they began to walk towards her she looked back at the pedestal.

It was bare.

Suddenly she heard a loud, screeching laugh echo across the gym as the wind began blowing violently. She looked up towards the source of the laugh and there, floating high in the sky of the now roofless gym, was another shadowy creature. Like the zombies there was no face but she could make out the torn bat-like wings, a tail and hair that moved as though it were fire. Like the zombies, the creature had glowing cyan eyes that were instead gave the impression of pupils.

The creature continued to laugh as the zombies closed in on Twilight. She was too terrified to think and it felt like her magic had disappeared. The last thing she saw before the zombies got to her was the laughing form of the creature, her eyes aimed directly at Twilight.


Twilight woke up with a start, eyes wide, heart pounding and her pajamas sticking to her from all the sweat. A second later a loud beeping sound made itself known. She quickly took in her surroundings; she was back in her bedroom and the beeping sound was coming from her alarm clock on her bedside table informing her it was time to get ready for school. In his doggie bed at the foot of her bed Spike still slept peacefully and would continue until the scent of breakfast reached his nose.

She gave a sigh of relief, it had just been another one of those horrible dreams. There were different variations of it but they all had one thing in common.

They all took place at Canterlot High.

The laughter of the creature echoed in her again but she quickly shook it away and began to get ready. Today was her first day at Canterlot High and she was determined to figure out what all the nightmares were all about.


Thankfully her new school wasn't too far from her house and the weather was nice, allowing her a nice walk to school. Having packed away her old uniform she now wore a light blue blouse with a little pink bow tie and a purple skirt with a giant star surrounded by smaller stars on it. She was just across the street from the school when she felt something move in her backpack. She cautiously set it on the ground and slowly opened the zipper.

"ARF!" Spike barked as his head popped up from the backpack.

"Spike!?" Twilight cried out in surprise. She quickly gained her bearings and gave her dog a stern look. "No Spike, I told you to stay home today. You know I'm not allowed to bring pets to school!" Her hand began to glow with a magenta light as she prepared a teleportation spell to send him back home. Seeing that his owner was about to send him home he did the only thing he could do: her gave her "the puppy dog eyes".

Twilight groaned, "Come on Spike! You know I can't win against those eyes!" However, that only encouraged him and he somehow expanded his eyes a little bigger. Defeated, Twilight dropped the spell. "Alright but you have to stay hidden either in my backpack or in my locker, understood?" Spike barked and nodded in understanding and ducked back in the bag. Twilight put it back on and crossed the street.

Twilight now stood directly in from of CHS. It was smaller than CPA but still bigger than your average public high school. In fact it sort of resembled a castle, and in front of the school was a statue of a horse rearing on it's hind legs. Overall (unlike in her nightmares), it seemed very welcoming; unlike Crystal Prep.

Twilight took a deep breath and began to head into school. As she passed the wondercolt statue she began hear something that resembled sobbing. She looked towards the statue and there, sitting right in front of it surrounded by flyers of some kind, was a girl about Twilight's age huddles in a ball and weeping softly into her hands. She was very pretty, with soft yellow kin and flowing pink hair with a butterfly clip. After a quick mental debate about going to help herself or letting someone else deal with it, Twilight approached the weeping girl.

"Hello?" Twilight asked, concerned. The girl stopped sobbing for a moment and looked up in alarm, revealing two cyan eyes. "Are you ok?" The girl blinked as though she didn't understand Twilight. Then she wiped her eyes on the back of her hand and finally replied in a soft voice:

"Oh...I-I'm f-fine." She claimed, trying to reassure Twilight. Twilight offered the girl her hand and helped her back on her feet and decided to introduce herself. "Hi, I'm Twilight Sparkle, I'm new here. What's your name?"

"Um..I'm Fluttershy" The girl replied in soft voice that made it hard for Twilight to hear. "I'm sorry, what was that?" Twilight tried again hoping it would encourage Fluttershy to speak up. It didn't work. "It's Fluttershy." She replied, somehow even quieter than before. "Didn't quite catch that." Twilight tried desperately again for a coherent response only hear sounds resembling squeaks coming from Fluttershy. Twilight was at a loss and was about to make a hasty get-away when Spike popped his head out to see what was going on. As soon as she laid eyes on Spike, FLuttersy's eyes went wide and, letting out a cheerful gasp, promptly scooped Spike out of the bag and cuddle him and scratch him behind the ear, his favorite spot.

"Oh my goodness! What an adorable little puppy! Who's this little guy?" Twilight was momentarily stunned after this complete stranger pushed her aside to get to her dog. One she recovered she replied: 'Oh that's Spike, my dog. He followed me to school today and I can't send him back." Fluttershy, upon hearing this, realized what she had just done turned back and quickly apologized.

"Oh my goddess! I am so sorry. It's just...whenever I see any animal, I tend to get carried away." Fluttershy promptly summoned her own magic to carefully levitate Spike back into Twilight's waiting arms. "And don't worry, your not the only one to sneak her pet into school. She then opened her backpack to reveal a bunny, a kitten, a hamster, a gerbil, and even a few birds! "They just get so lonely when I'm at school all day..." Twilight was amazed at the number of animals before Fluttershy promptly hid them away again.

Twilight then then set Spike on the ground and returned her focus to Fluttershy. "So..I'm guessing you like animals?"

"Oh! I LOVE animals! I volunteer at the animal shelter all the time. In fact the reason I was so upset was because I was trying to get more volunteers but.." Fluttershy looked sad again and picked up her untaken flyers."...nobody even noticed me." Twilight gave her a look of sympathy, as she used to be in a position similar to her. Twilight was torn, she wanted to help this kind girl but she also knew class would be starting soon and she didn't want to be late, especially on her first day.

"Look, I gotta get going but if there is anything I could do to..." Twilight was suddenly interrupted by the sound of barking. She and Fluttershy looked towards the source. Apparently after having been set down by his owner, Spike had decided to sniff around for something interesting. He was now barking at something in one of the bushes just outside the school. Twilight and FLuttershy went over to investigate. "What is it Spike?" Twilight asked, moving aside the leaved to see what had gotten her dog so worked up. What she pulled out left both her and Fluttershy stunned for a minute.

It was a crown, carefully made out of paper mache, colored gold and was designed to perfectly rest upon the head of whoever wore it. It was plain except for the piece that had Twilight so captured.

In the center was a beautiful magenta gem cut into the shape of a six pointed star.

Author's Note:

I tried to combine the first Fluttershy and Twilight meeting dialogues from both the show and the movie. I also wanted them finding the crown to be different from Imnopony's version.

Just in case I did a bad job of describing it, the crown is based off the element of magic's second design (the one most prominent in the first movie).

Anyway feel free to leave a comment with suggestions or just your reaction.

Update: I just wanted to include a scene showing that even in this world: Fluttershy can't resist bringing animals with her wherever she goes.