• Published 2nd Aug 2017
  • 4,701 Views, 802 Comments

A Pony Displaced: Homeward - NoLongerSober



With Sombra dead and his cadets and old friends in tow, Magic Barrier and company try to adapt to the modern world, heading forward to try and make Vanhoover their new home.

  • ...
14
 802
 4,701

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 59 - Dating Games

“Daring…” Barrier swallowed nervously before moving towards the table. “I’ve… we’ve all missed you.”

“Yeah, me too.” Daring looked away and scratched her neck lightly. “I would have been back sooner, but there was this thing with a cult led by the ‘Brothers of Light’. Took me weeks to get outta there. And then I had to sort out this thing with a lava monster on an island called Muiranthias and… Well, long story short, I’m back.”

“So…” It was Fleet’s turn to appear nervous as she moved to follow Barrier, the pair slipping into some nearby chairs across from the tan mare. Fleet took a short breath and opened her mouth before Daring’s hoof rose to silence her.

“Let me say my piece first, please,” Daring said before taking a large swig of her coffee and centering it between her forehooves.

The former soldiers both nodded silently in response as they waited for her to begin.

Taking in a deep breath, Daring briefly locked eyes with each of them before exhaling slowly and beginning. “First off, I forgive the both of you.”

Biting back the urge to respond, Barrier settled for leaning forward in his chair, drawing him ever-so-slightly closer to the mare across the table.

Chuckling faintly, Daring met Barrier’s gaze and nodded, knowing what he wanted to ask. “Yes, I really do forgive both of you. Truth is, I really care about all of you. Besides that, I’ve done some things just as bad, if not worse while intoxicated.”

Reaching across the table, the tan mare took their forehooves into her own and gave them a soft squeeze. “It also helps that neither of you tried to cover things up or hide stuff from me.” Daring briefly went silent to take another drink of her coffee before continuing. “You told me as soon as I got back. Frankly, if you had tried to cover things up or lie, I wouldn’t be here, but…” The tan mare smiled at the both of them.

“We never meant to hurt you, Daring.” Barrier swallowed hard and closed his eyes to take a steadying breath before meeting her gaze once more, this time a relieved smile crossing his muzzle.

“I know.” Daring matched the smile with one of her own as she continued to look at them. “So...” She tapped the table lightly. “How have you two been since I left?”

“In a word, miserable,” Barrier answered as he leaned back into his chair, feeling lighter than he had for quite some time. “But, it hasn’t been all bad. We had quite an interesting time at the gala. We also accompanied the kids on Nightmare Night and helped out Princess Luna. I also had the… unique opportunity of riding a flying orange, courtesy of Discord breaking loose.” The stallion fell silent as he let out a sigh, prompting Fleetfeather to pick up the thread.

“From what the privates told me, they all ended up baked into a giant pizza right after finding the mayor acting like a cat of all things.” Fleet shook her head in bemusement before looking away from the table. “Barrier and I also paid a visit to some graves in Canterlot today… so that we could say goodbye to Flash and Ember.”

“Ah…” Daring gave the pair a sympathetic look. “That’s gotta hurt… I’m sorry.”

“Thank you,” Fleet responded softly. “It was hard, but... I felt we needed to do it.”

A moment of tense silence was held between the three until Barrier broke it with the soft tapping of his hoof on the table.

“So… what do we do now? About… us?” He gestured between the three of them, hints of his earlier nervousness making a return as he shuffled in his seat.

“Actually, I’ve given a lot of thought to what should come next.” Daring sat straighter in her chair before once more locking gazes with each pony. “While I think that we should take things very slowly… I think it may be best if we officially become a herd.”

Chewing on his lip as he thought, Barrier gave a shaky nod. “Right… Right. I’m willing to try if you both are, but be warned that I know very little about herds.”

Fleet gave the mare across from her a far steadier nod than Barrier, seemingly far more certain of herself. “I think it’s a good idea. I’d once considered herding back when Silver Wind lived with Flash and I.”

“So, we’re in agreement then?” Daring asked as she laid her hooves on the table. “We all start seeing each other starting now?”

The tension was thick enough that even Swift would’ve needed more than one swing of her sword to cut it until Barrier and Fleet both laid a hoof on Daring’s simultaneously.

“Agreed,” the two said in harmony, drawing another warm smile from the golden pegasus.

“Alright.” She gave the pair a nod before looking at Barrier. “It’ll probably be slower than what it was when we first got together...” She then turned to face Fleet. “But I think we’ll be happy together.”

“Alright,” Barrier relaxed in his chair, unaware of just how tense he’d actually been. “Do you need me to take care of your bags or…”

“Nah, the kids already set me up in the guest room.” Daring gave his hoof a pat. “Still, thanks for the offer.”

“Is there anything you’d like for dinner?” Fleet asked as she pulled away from the table and hopped out of her chair.

“Well, I’m thinking of heading to this one place called the Burrito Burro,” Daring said as she and Barrier followed suit. “Been forever since I had some Mexicolt food.”

“Sounds like it could be worth a shot,” Barrier said as Daring quickly tossed on her A.K. Yearling guise. “As long as they don’t use ruby reapers, I should be able to handle it.”

The trio had soon made their way from the home closing the gate behind them. As they trotted along, Daring couldn’t help but notice the stiffness in Barrier’s posture, leading to her prodding his ribs with a wing. “What’s on your mind, old timer?”

Snorting in amusement, Barrier rolled his shoulders and slowed slightly to be better aligned with the golden pegasus. “To be honest, I’m still somewhat nervous about the whole herding thing.” Barrier gave his neck a quick scratch before continuing.

“It’s not something that was practiced too much amongst the families of Canterlot in my day. Swiftsword and my brother are the only nobility I know of that herded. Not to say we had any particular laws forbidding it, it was just… if you herded, you were the exception rather than the rule.”

“Eh, I’m sure you’ll both do a good job with it,” Daring said before flaring her wings out and placing it over the backs of the two at her sides, surprising both of them when she used the deceptively strong appendages to pull the both of them closer to her “Besides, there’s a pretty good chance that Swift or Verdant will be able to give you two some advice about this.”

“Hopefully, it won’t come to that,” Barrier said with a shake of his head as they continued through the streets of Vanhoover. “It’s already an awkward thing to bring up, but with Verdant and Swift? Not exactly eager to broach the topic of herding with those two.”

“Well, we can worry about the exact details later,” Daring said before pulling ahead of the pair and wheeling around to walk backwards. “For now, let’s savor what we’ve got. I’m pretty sure the kids are doing the same thing right now.”

***

In the center of an opulent villa, made of fine marble and gold, a gathering of six ponies and a griffin hen stood at the top of a set of sparkling stairs.

“Everyone,” the shamrock stallion in the green vest atop a white shirt began as he trotted down the stairway. “I have gathered you all here to reveal the identity of the murderer.”

“Well, get on with it already!” the white mare said as she tossed aside her matching alabaster scarf and fur coat. “I’m sweating up a storm in this thing!”

“And these glasses are really bugging my eyes.” The bespectacled pegasus wore a suit that matched his coat and a pair of worn eyeglasses which kept sliding down his muzzle, driving the pegasus to regularly push them upwards, towards his forehead.

“Very well,” the green earth pony took a breath before angrily pointing a hoof at the hen in the tight red dress. “It was Miss Scarlett! In the gallery! With the crossbow!” His shout made all the gathered guests gasp, save for the little filly in the black tuxedo who trotted up to the verdant pony’s side.

“That’s quite the accusation, Mr. Green,” the filly butler said as she reached into her jacket and pulled out a sealed manilla folder. “Let us see if you’re right.”

The five on the stairs quickly ran up to the two as the filly broke the seal on the folder and tilted it over.

From the folder spilt three large cards. One had a picture of a crossbow, one had a photo of the gallery’s interior, and last was a photo of Miss Scarlett herself.

“And Mr. Green wins!” The filly gave a cheer and a bright light flooded the room. When the light had died away, the group found themselves once again gathered around the living room table with a game board made up of a collection of pieces in the various rooms of a cardboard villa.

“Sorry I pointed the hoof at you, Erica,” Verdant said, to which Erica dismissively waved.

“Eh, it’s no problem,” she casually replied. “It happens and besides, I had a lot of fun.”

“I was so close,” Forge said as he leaned back. “I was sure it was either you or Miss Peacock that killed Mr. Black.”

“Say, can I play as a different version of Miss White?” Gem asked as she rose up from the table and stretched. “One that won’t have me melting by the end of the game?”

“Sure thing,” Erica said as she left the table and opened up a cabinet. “I’ve got every version of Clue, including all the figure variants.”

“Do you have something that’s a little more…” Hatty twirled a hoof around. “Spooky?”

“How’s the Vampony Castle set?” Erica asked as she pulled another board out. “It’s got a set of monster pieces for it.”

“I think I’ll take a break,” Swift said as she rose up and walked over to the couch. “Wind Whistler, would you like to play as Miss Peacock this time?”

“Heck yeah!” The little filly’s wings fluttered in delight as she quickly took Swift’s spot while Erica replaced the board and laid the six figures on the table. “Playing Wodsworth and watching the cards isn’t that fun.”

“Can I still play as Prince Azure?” Forge asked, to which the griffin gave a happy nod.

“Of course.” Erica put the masquerade board away before taking her place once more. “After this, how about we get something to eat?”

The ponies at the table all gave nods of agreement as they placed their pieces on the board before disappearing in a flash of light.

***

The trio of Barrier, Daring and Fleet soon arrived at an outdoor restaurant, where several ponies, griffins and others were gathered at the tables, enjoying their meals.

“So, what do you two think you’ll have?” Daring looked over her shoulder at the dark unicorn and sky blue pegasus. “I’m thinking after the bland crap I had to eat for my last two adventures, I’m in the mood for something spicy. I know I’ll regret it later, but it’s a change of pace, y’know?”

“To be honest, I wouldn’t have the slightest clue on where to begin,” Fleet answered as she looked at the menu above the cashier. “I don’t know what a… taco even is.”

“I’m in the same boat,” Barrier added.

“Alright. How about I get you two the same stuff I’m ordering and we take it from there?” Daring adjusted her glasses. The pair of ponies nodded, making the tan pegasus grin. “Alright. You two go find a table and I’ll place our orders.”

“One sec,” Barrier held her back before pulling a sack of bits from his saddlebags. “The least I can do is pay for our lunch.”

“Alright. Thanks.” Daring smiled as she grabbed the bag and trotted up to the jenny at the register while Barrier and Fleet looked around before spotting a table that would fit the three of them.

After a minute or two, Daring arrived at the table with a tray that carried a rather large amount of burritos.

“Wow…” Barrier was somewhat taken aback as Daring plucked a burrito from the pile. “You must really like this stuff.”

“Well, there was a sale.” A smirk suddenly appeared on Daring's face. “Say guys, want to play a game?”

There was a moment of nervous silence as the two stared at the yellow mare. “What kind of game?” Barrier leaned closer.

“We’ll each try to see how many of these spicy bad boys we can put away.” Daring gave the pile a pat. “Nothing really at stake, just a little fun while having these.”

Fleet rubbed her chin before shrugging. “Sure. I don’t see why not.”

“Guess I will too,” Barrier chimed in as his horn ignited, bringing burritos to his and Fleet’s hooves.

“On the count of three,” Daring said as each of them pulled back the paper wrappings. “One… two… three!”

Barrier bit down into the tasty treat, only for his eyes to shoot open and his pupils to become pinpricks as the familiar taste and sensation of ruby reaper flooded his mouth.

I’ve made a huge mistake. Barrier looked at the two mares as they were having their food. Fleet seemed to be going through similar pain as he while Daring appeared to be doing better than either of them with far less sweat forming on her brow.

Was this some sort of revenge scheme by her? Barrier wiped his brow before swallowing and taking a larger second bite, deciding the best he could hope for was to end the food quickly.

***

The trio eventually started on the walk home with the leftover burritos bagged up, several cartons of milk from the convenience store, sore bellies and burning tongues.

“I really regret that game,” Daring said hoarsely as she fanned her tongue. “I swear, I feel like if I fart, I’ll set my tail on fire.”

“Dahd ken habben,” Fleet replied as she carried the burrito bag in her mouth.

“What’d she say?” Daring asked before hearing cardboard being ripped open. Looking over her shoulder, she saw Barrier tearing open one of the milk cartons before downing the entire thing.

“Oh sweet Faust, I needed that!” Barrier gasped before wiping away his milk moustache.

“You’re the one that had the least, Barrier,” Daring replied as the charcoal stallion caught up to them. “Meanwhile, Fleet’s taking it like the champ she is.”

“Des iff bahnin aoony. I hin I’b radder ee gibbin baath ahen, Dahrin,” Fleet mumbled with a roll of her eye.

“I’ll ask for a translation after we’ve recovered,” Daring replied as the manor came into sight before them. “I’m glad to be back with you guys again, it’s been fun.”

“You and I seem to have vastly different definitions of fun.” Barrier’s horn lit once more, taking the burrito bag from Fleet and bringing a pair of small, open milk cartons before the two which were quickly snatched up and drunk.

“Thank you, Barrier,” Fleet said before releasing a deep exhale. “I needed that.”

“Ditto,” Daring added as she flicked her wing, holding a house key in the tips of her feathers. “And once again, I’m glad to have you two back.”

“And we’re glad to have you back too, Daring,” Barrier said as the tanned pegasus pushed the door open. “I’ll put the food away. You two get some rest if you want.”

“Thanks, Barrier.” Daring turned about once they were inside before giving Fleetfeather a soft kiss on the lips before shortly following up on Barrier’s. “Goodnight, guys.”

“Goodnight, Daring,” Fleet quietly said as she started to follow Daring upstairs. She stopped halfway up to look down at the unicorn. “Goodnight, Barrier.”

“Goodnight, dears,” Barrier replied before trotting over to the kitchen and stuffing the bags in the fridge. A few moments later, he made his way to his room and all but collapsed on his bed, all of his worries briefly forgotten at the elation Daring’s return had caused him. With a warm smile, the stallion snuggled up beneath the covers and drifted quickly to sleep.

For the first time in a long time, the stallion slept soundly and all felt right in his world.

Author's Note:

Alticron: Hey everyone. Hope you had a good time reading this chapter. This was quite something to write the end of this very long arc and I hope you look forward to what happens next.

For the pic this time, here's the jenny that runs the Burrito Burro, Tina Hillcrest.

See ya next time!

PreviousChapters Next