• Published 14th Jul 2012
  • 835 Views, 7 Comments

Eyes of A Different Variety - Cinnamon Clover



Emy's eyes are beyond the point of optical correction and they only get worse. And she is scared.

  • ...
 7
 835

Eyes of A Different Variety

Eyes of A Different Variety


Disclaimer: I do not own My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (Hasbro), Scootaloo (Hasbro), Apple Bloom (Hasbro), Sweetie Belle (Hasbro), Fluttershy (Hasbro) and a large portion of the characters in the story (Hasbro unless otherwise noted). All I own is this story, the stories that prequel it and my OC Emerald Glow.


Summary: Ponies can't really notice her severe eye problems like they notice Ditzy Doo's lazy eye because she had hidden her amethyst eyes under enchanted glasses since she was three. Her adoptive mom knows at the very least her eyesight is much worse than it should be for a filly her age even with her glasses and it messes up everything else but keeps quiet about it. No pony, not even Scootaloo, her BTSFF, knows the reality of her eye problems, how it truly effects her and the fear it brings her.


"Emy! You didn't return the ball once!" Scootaloo chastised her sister as they started to walk away from the tennis court, "Emy, what happened out there? Tennis is your game!"

"Sorry, Scoot. I'll try better next time." her emerald companion replied. Her words sounded of disappointment and sadness.

Emy knew why she had been experiencing trouble recently in the only sport she could beat her sister in. Her eyes couldn't process the fast moving ball so she couldn't see the ball until it was too late. Her eyesight had always been less than perfect but it seemed like everyday it was getting harder to see with or without her glasses. She knew the inevitable complete darkness would probably be only another ten or twelve years away. She didn't want to burden her sister with news like that.

Unfortunately for Emy, her scooter riding sister could read her like an open book.

"Emy, I know somethings wrong." the orange one admitted.

‘Play dumb! Don't give in! It might be nice to talk about it but it would only hurt them when you see nothing but darkness.’ the dirty blond thought to herself.

"Huh?" the unicorn said half heartedly but her expression didn't match her tone.

"Don't ‘Huh’ me, Emy! You know what I mean and want! And I'll tell Mama Fluttershy you are trying to hide something from us!" Scootaloo snapped. She loved Emerald but she could be very stubborn and secretive at times.

The threat only made things worse. Instead of calmly telling her beloved twin sister of her predicament, she ran.

"Oh buck!" Scootaloo cringed as she scootered after her fleeing sister.

Scootaloo saw her sister run crying into the house. Once the orange pegasus was inside the tree like cottage, she went up to their shared bedroom to see if she was hiding there. She opened the door a crack to see her sister crying softly on her bottom bunk. The orange pegasus slowly approached the lower bunk.

"Emy, please tell me what's wrong. I only want to help. If it makes you feel better, it can stay between you and me." the dark pink maned pegasus pleaded.

"Ok, but you have to Pinkie Pie promise not to tell anypony else." her unicorn replied, still sniffling.

"Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye." the tangerine pegasus obliged to her sister's request, mimicking the movements as she spoke, "Now please, Emy, tell me what's wrong."

"Ok. Scoot, remember the eyesight problems I had before Mama Fluttershy got me my new pair?" the glowing filly asked only to be met with a nod, "That was just three months ago and my vision already became a blur again. My eyes are only getting worse and worse everyday. I am somewhat lacking in depth perception, I have lazy eye but I put an illusion spell on the glasses so you can't tell, I have astigmatism that is so extremely irritating that I need to keep a wet paper towel with me at all times, piled along with ten or so other eye disorders I don't even know the names of. I can't aim a basketball in gym class. I am surprised I haven't been bumping into walls every time I go for a walk. It's even become a painstaking task just to read!"

Scootaloo now understood why it wasn't something she wished to talk about. Emy not being able to read her books was like her not being able to ride her scooter.

"I'm scared for the day I can't see. I know I shouldn't be scared of what's yet to come, but I know it's bound to happen and nothing can stop it. I have no means to learn braile so when my eyes go, I might never be able to read again. Mama Fluttershy already knows of my eyesight to an extent." she spoke with no joy. The emerald green filly was on the verge of tears.

Scootaloo took in everything her sister said. This was scary, especially considering the fact that her sister might not be able to read once her eyes go dim forever.

After a moment she wrapped her sister in her loving embrace, "It's ok Emy. No matter how bleak and hopeless things seem, I'll always be their for you, Sis."


Emy looked down at headstone as tear drops stung her eyes.

'Here lies Scootaloo Amber Glow. Loyal, caring and brave, her spirit was always daring.'

Two weeks had passed since her tete-a-tete with her sister and nine days had passed since the flying incident that killed the only pony she had consoled her fears to.

"You said you would always be there for me. I know you're still here in my heart but it's just not the same." the emerald green unicorn mourned the loss of her sister before putting down a fresh bouquet of her deceased sister's three favorite flowers; fire lilies, day lilies and wild butterfly weed.

Emy remembered when they tried to be Cutie Mark Crusader Botanists. It was Emy's first crusade as an honorary member.


"I like those three orange ones; the fire lily, day lily and miniature rose! What do they mean again?" Scootaloo said as she pointed to said flowers.

"The fire lily symbolizes death; the day lily means short lived and the roses in general, as most everypony knows, represent love and beauty." Lily explained.


Emy hadn't thought about it till now but it was ironic that two of her deceased twin's favorite flowers meant death and one of them went even further than that and meant early death in extension to having a short life.

"You'll be missed but never forgotten, Sis" she said as she turned tail to head back to her adoptive mother's cottage dwelling.


Thank you for reading this. It was very hard to write because it is rather personal to me. Please don't ask or comment on it. It isn't something I really wanna talk about.

Comments ( 4 )

I may be being a bit slow on the uptake here but...
I'm having trouble figuring out what BTSFF stands for.
I assume the B is best and the FF friends forever; but what the hay does the TS mean?
S is probably sister though. :derpyderp1:
That aside, good story albeit with some grammatical errors, but none of us are perfect are we?
Keep up the good work there :raritywink:

Keep up the great writing and making these kinds of stories. I look forward to reading the other stories that I am watching of yours.

2426416
Best
Twin
Sister
Friend
Forever

2427248
Yep! I love family relation acronyms!

Login or register to comment