• Published 13th Jul 2017
  • 2,838 Views, 202 Comments

The Commander's Compromise - kudzuhaiku



Chartreuse Le Feu heads north to become Shining Armor's apprentice. Shining Armor was never informed.

  • ...
10
 202
 2,838

Leaving home

It had been the first of many grown up choices for Chartreuse Le Feu; take a train, or take an airship. After much agonising and fretting, she had chosen to take an airship. Yes, it was more expensive, but this was the first time she had stepped out into the great wide world on her own, and she wanted it to be memorable. She had worked hard to earn the money, she had saved and scrimped, and just the decision on how to spend it was satisfying.

The airship steamed ahead, the engines chugging away down belowdecks like hidden locomotives. One could hardly hear them, but on a ship like this, one could always feel them. The steady, neverending thrum of the massive cylinders moving was a sensation that could not be ignored. The breeze was stiff—a tailwind—and young Chartreuse saw it as a sign that destiny was pleased with her decision.

Primary school was finished, and now, like many, Chartreuse chose to be responsible for her own secondary education. Her hope, her dream, was to follow the great unicorn ideal, and find a worthy master. For five long years, she had been preparing for this, for she had conceived the plan when she was young, right about the time her cutie mark had shown up. So much had been done just to reach this point, standing on the bow of an airship as it made its way to the Crystal Empire. This felt like victory, like accomplishment; even if this failed, even if it ended in bitter, soul-crushing disappointment, she still had the immense satisfaction of knowing that she had made a plan, followed it, and had seen it through to the end.

It was far more than most fillies her age could do.

Chartreuse took a sensible approach to life, as she had been raised to be hard working, practical, and her mother and father had instilled within her a powerful sense of civic duty. She had been born into the lower ranks of the nobility of Canterlot; her family was considered poor by noble standards, but was respected and influential. They lived in a somewhat rundown—some might even say shabby—tower located near where the Dark Family Obelisk had once stood.

Standing on the deck of the airship felt good—no, it felt great. This dream had started off with odd jobs, the sort of work a young, small filly can do, saving her allowance, and then, for the past few years, working for her drama-loving boss at Canterlot Carousel. Upon being hired, her job had seemed simple enough; run errands and keep the boss happy. In practice, that was impossible. Rarity’s histrionics were the thing of Canterlot legend.

It wasn’t all bad though. Rarity and Miss Saddles had taught her much. How to plan, how to establish goals, how to achieve goals, and how to keep going when the going got tough. She was a successful young filly because of her work experience, and she had learned just as much working in Canterlot Carousel as she had in school. Maybe more. When Chartreuse had announced that she would be leaving, Rarity had been more tearful and distraught than her parents. Mascara running, Rarity had clung to her and had refused to let go for what felt like hours.

Such was life.

Leaving home was hard, far harder than Chartreuse had imagined it would be, but the rush of freedom lifted her low spirits from the low places where they had settled. Canterlot was behind her now, and ahead of her was her entire future… a future that depended upon the decision of another, the choice, the acceptance. Just thinking about it left her jittery, but also excited, because she was so certain that everything would work out.

The wind whipped her cerulean mane around her ears and she took a moment to adjust her triangle framed glasses. Her saddlebags were heavy with all of the things a filly needed for a long trip, including snacks and treats from her mother. As she stood with her face in the wind, she thought of her parents. The scent of her father’s cologne was still fresh in her mind, as well as his somewhat rough kiss goodbye. He was a gruff sort, her father, and she knew that she would miss him. Her mother always smelled like exotic herbs and oils, the stock of her trade as an alchemist.

Her mother, Remède, made the medicines that kept Canterlot healthy, and she kept the prices low so that even the most hard-up families could afford them. For Chartreuse, it all went back to the sense of duty that had been pressed upon her since an early age. Her father, Pasteur Le Feu, was a member of the constabulary and the Day Watch. They were working nobles, not having enough of a family fortune to look after their needs, and in this, there was a certain sense of pride.


Sleep was hard to come by and Chartreuse’s excitement could not be contained. It was almost dawn now, and like many other sleepy-eyed ponies who also could not sleep, she had made her way to the automat cafeteria. It was something new to her, she had never seen anything quite like it, and in her half-awake state, it was overwhelming. Put a coin in, get something out. It seemed simple enough, but there were just so many items.

The overabundance of choice was almost paralysing. There had to be hundreds of tiny little doors with tiny, appealing little glass windows, some of which were steamed over. So this was how the rest of the world ate, or perhaps only some of the world, she really couldn’t tell. The scent of coffee was strong, and made her think of her mother, but there was also tea, which reminded her of her father.

Somehow, her mother and father had put their differences aside, their choice of beverages, and they had come together. She had grown up listening to their good natured ribbing, and occasional bickering about which was better, and why. Chartreuse knew the merits of both, but had not yet decided upon her own preference, fearing that she might disappoint her parents somehow. When the choice was made, one of them would be snubbed.

There were a surprising number of foals her age to be found traveling north to the Crystal Empire, and she knew why. Crystal Empire Academy Prep School, Princess Cadance’s school, took in students at any time of the year. Some of her own schoolmates had been accepted into Princess Cadance’s school, but Chartreuse hadn’t even thought about applying. She wasn’t gifted in the arts or equinities, which were the sort of students that Princess Cadance prized

“You look scared… I am too.”

With a quick turn of her head, Chartreuse looked at the pony speaking to her. A colt, no doubt about her own age, stood just a short distance away, looking rather awkward. He hadn’t combed his mane—in fact, he hadn’t combed anything —and he appeared to be awake only in the loosest definition of the word. She scowled without realising it, as she was trying to secure her future, and not make friends with colts, who were still rather… icky.

This one had not combed himself, so who knew what else he hadn’t done? Gross!

“I’m going to become an artist,” the colt said, and he turned himself sideways enough to reveal a paintbrush cutie mark. “I’ve never left home before and all of this is freaking me out.”

Calm, steady breathing, ears that did not pivot, a tail that did not twitch. Chartreuse looked for all of the signs that she knew how to spot, and realised that her sympathies were no doubt being played upon. She didn’t like how she was being stared at, nor did she care for the creepy sensation she was now experiencing.

“Maybe you could keep me company? Make me feel better? Distract me from my troubles? We could go back to my cabin and have breakfast—”

“I’m not interested in colts,” Chartreuse said in a firm voice that was a bit loud. Loud enough to make ponies, adult ponies, turn and look in her direction.

“Aw, come on… you can’t be old enough to’ve have made up your mind about that,” the colt said in a playful, smooth-yet-still-somehow-squeaky voice. “Maybe you just haven’t met the right one—”

“No, I assure you, I’m not interested.” She narrowed her eyes for emphasis, and tried to remember everything her parents had taught her.

“I don’t believe you.” The colt took a few steps forwards, smiling, and he nodded, tossing his head around, no doubt trying to get his mane to have that perfect, messy, bedhead look. “I could make you change your mind—”

“And right now, I could change your gender with one of my fire spells.” A wisp of flame rose up from Chartreuse’s horn, which glowed with a vivid pink light that matched her eyes.

“Gosh, what a bitch!” The colt’s lip curled back in disgust, he snorted, and while never taking his eyes off of Chartreuse, he backed away with a dark scowl-snarl twisting his mouth into an unpleasant shape. “What a horrible bitch! Disgusting!”

She did not relax her guard, but she did take a deep breath when the colt was far enough away for her to be comfortable again. The novelty of the automat seemed lost now, and she had food back in her cabin, the stuff that her mother had packed into her saddlebags. Already, she had spent much of her savings just buying the airship ticket, and having breakfast would be expensive.

Heaving a sigh of resignation, she made a quiet exit to return to her cabin.


The Crystal Empire was like a glittering jewel in the distance, and Chartreuse had never seen anything quite like it. She had only seen pictures of it, but those did not do the beauty of it justice. Before the end of the day, she would be successful. All she had to do was arrive, check in as a guest, wait to see Shining Armor, ask to be his apprentice, impress him with her skill, and then sit back and bask in the glory of a job well done.

After that, it was a matter of growing up, becoming a credible wizard, impressing her parents, having both of them be proud of her, and then she could transition into adulthood. As far as plans went, it wasn’t anything special, but it was a plan that could be seen through and accomplished. It was a realistic plan with a realistic outcome. It was reasonable and achievable.

The ship lurched and the airship ferry began its descent. More ponies were packing onto the deck now, but thankfully, there was no sign of the creepy, insistent colt. Down below, other ships were moored, and she could see a train chugging into the station while another was pulling away. This was a busy place, full of hustle and bustle, and it looked as though it would be an adventure just to reach the Crystal Palace.

A short distance away, somepony got airsick and tossed their cookies over the rail. Chartreuse felt bad for them, but did not turn to look. She did, however, think about anypony that might be down below, and she hoped that they had quick reflexes. In a world full of pegasus ponies and flying airships, those on the ground had to be quick.

Chartreuse couldn’t wait to get her hooves on the ground. She didn’t mind flying, not at all, but she was excited. Years of planning had brought her here, to this place, this magical, wonderful place. Unable to contain herself, she pranced in place, dancing a little jig while her hooves clopped against the wooden deck.

Soon, she would have everything she ever wanted in life.

Author's Note:

Just a short story. I hope you enjoy it. Should be done in about five chapters.