• Published 11th Jul 2017
  • 324 Views, 4 Comments

Project F.R.I.E.N.D.S.H.I.P. - SaltWriter the leviapony



IS friendship the strongest magic in Equestria, one scientist plans to test this to the highest extreme

  • ...
 4
 324

Ch. 7 burning hearts and freezing rainbows

Chapter 7

The night sky shown over the peaceful cloud city. Pegasi slept in their homes and on clouds, the rainbow falls rolling to the ground below. In the silence, beams of magic fired between the clouds, breaking the silence with the sound of combat.

Flame flew through the city, weaving through the clouds and avoiding the onslaught of beams. Celestia and Luna flew close, trying to blast the alicron away. Twilight meanwhile, flew behind them, observing the city she flew through and trying to see for any tricks or traps. They soon flew to the highest spire of the city, the princess's forming a triangle around flame.

“enough of these foolish games and riddles. We have you surrounded, now tell us what you’re doing and why?” Luna angrily shook her hoof at the mare, who simply grunted and looked away. Twilight continued to look around, trying to see what was different about the city.

“what I'm doing is trying to make up for the loss of the plan. Things would have gone smoothly if twilight hadn't stepped out of line.” Flame pointed to her as she spoke, twilight snapping out of her daze and pointing back.

“What do you expect me to do when my friends are being killed under my nose, and getting letters about them with bloody gifts?”

“We had hoped to keep you busy till we finished with the pegasi, then find your magic potential without the reliance of your friends.” Twilights mouth dropped at what she heard, replaced with a deathly glare.

“You are killing ponies for a experiment?!” Flame nodded, then gestured out to the other two princesses.

“and as you can see, you messed things up. But, I managed to get a new plan that still works with the current goals of the plan. Now behold, the power of UNHINDERED MAGIC!!” With that, her horn gave off a dark green glow, then beamed up and around the area.

The three alicorns stood on a cloud, watching as the beams of light circled around the city. Twilight shivered a bit from the cool touch of the cloud. The city was soon surrounded like a snow globe, and with a flash of light, disappeared from the sky. The rainbow falls soon became a silent moat, the ponies below looking confused and shocked at what the truth was.

The tinkerer sat on the train, it's moving wheels and rocking the only sound in the small car he was in. Otaku was sitting in the seats next to him, lightly rubbing the mane of buttercup. She laid on his lap, sleeping as the train continued on the track. A buzzing sound caught the tinkerers attention, and he walked into the car next to them. He then picked up the transmission, recognizing fangorns voice on the line.

“Sir, what happened? I was flying to canterlot and a large flash of light came from around their. When I got closer, it seemed cloudsdale had been completely wiped off the map.”

“Yes, that's apart of the new plan. You'll need to fly to Manehattan for the new rondevu point.”

“Are you telling me that flame managaed to teleport ALL of cloudsdale to the city? Sir, if the original plan can still take effect…”

“It'll be a test of the bonds with the sisters and young twilight. Sure it'll have alot of casualties, but the data will make up for the original plans failure.” Their was a bit of silence before fangorn replied.

“You're lucky this plan of yours ends the way you've planned it. The sins we've committed would be worse then Tartarus would accept.” the tinkerer nodded, then waited for him to continue.

“Have you told the others the ends of your plan?”

“i’ve told keros what she needed to know for when we finish, but I haven't told the others.” He looked through the small window on the train to the other cabin. Keros walked from the front of the train and gestured for buttercup. The unicorn woke up and walked to the front of the train, taking her place in otakus lap.

“They have enough of a burden on their hearts, the last thing I need is to put more pressure on them.”

“they'll find out about it one way or another, and with this sudden change…” fangorn trailed off from the statement, then continued on, a bit more sombre. “I'll meet you at the remains of the city, be careful about the approach.” Their was a click as fangorn turned off his speaker. The tinkerer tucked away his device and walked back into the other room.

“So this is it huh? The last push to finally achieve your goal. It's hard to believe I've made it with you this far.” Otaku continued to stroke the changelings mane, a half smile on his face as he spoke. The tinkerer nodded, giving his own smile back.
“Have you finally made a commitment to keros yet? This'll most likely be the last time any formal gifts can be given.” Otaku squinted, then blushed as he got what was meant.
“Sir, I don't have anything I could possibly use for that. And it's not like I care enough about her to make such a commitment, especially with us working for you and…” he stopped when the tinkerer placed a hoof on his shoulder. His bronze magic took a small box out of his vest pocket. He placed it in otakus hoof before backing away, heading to the front of the train.
“I made that for you and keros. It's not quite a diamond engagement ring, but it's more practical, and can remind you of me if I'm not around.”
“Sir, I don't know what to say.”
“How about 'will you marry me keros?’” with that, he stepped into the main car of the train. Buttercup looked out over the window of the train, making sure nothing blocks the rails. She jumped when the tinkerer lightly brushed her tail with his magic, then turned to face him.
“Ohh, tinkerer, what are you doing here? I was expecting you to relax in the train car till we got to Manehattan.”
“Just wanted to give a heads up. The train needs to slow down before we get there. The city may not be standing when we get close and I don't want the train to get stuck.” she nodded, making adjustments to the train speed before heading back to the window. It took a few moments for her to realize he hadn't left, and turned to face him.
“Sir? Is their something else?”
“What are you going to do when I finish this?” Buttercup hid her shock before turning back completely.
“What do you mean sir? When this is over I'll just go back to cleaning like I have been. Unless you'd rather me do something else?”
“Tell me your dream buttercup, your aspiration. If things play out successfully, I won't have need for you anymore. What would you do?” Worry flashed on her face, which she masked again. One of her forelegs shuffled as she spoke.
“It's hard to have dreams when I work for you sir. You give so many benefits, have unique tasks, what more could someone like me ask for?”
“Your cutie mark may have something to say. Don't lie to my face buttercup.” His broze aura pulled a small piece of paper out of a coat pocket, which unfolded into a small alicorn, colored like twilight sparkle. She picked up the small figure and folded it back down, placing it into her uniform.
“Sir, it's nothing I promise you. I plan to work for you for as long as you need me. It's not a achievable dream anyway.” the tinkerer lightly moved his hoof, making buttercup look him in the eyes.

“i’ve raised you from the streets and gave you a life. But now that life will end soon, and it's time to take your blindfold off. Talk, and I can help you.” Her face lightened up a bit, and she took a small paper out of one of her pockets, handing it to the tinkerer. Unfolding it, he looked over the poster and gave a smile.
“Shadow puppet theater, the tales of Equestria. It certainly has a nice flare to it.” The poster was fairly basic, the shadows of the three pony types with text on the top and bottom. It had been hoof made, only slightly smudged from it's rolled up status. He handed the paper back and grabbed a paper from his own coat, handing it to her.
“This is a dream I can support, and you'll need to pursue it once this mission is through. This should help you get off the ground.” She opened the slip, a series of numbers on it. She gave a confused look, making him smile.
“It's my personal bank account. I've been saving cash for an occasion like this. Use it as you please, it won't effect keros or their work.”
“Sir… I can't accept this. What's with this anyway? You've never been open or giving like this before. You also never mentioned my interests or my cutie mark. What's wrong.” He looked back through the window of the cabin, keros was hugging otaku, a ring on one of her forelegs as they embraced. He smiled and nodded.
“i guess time is finally catching up to me, and I want to make sure you all have a life after me. Especially with how I've broken the worlds harmony.” With that, he walked back into the train car, leaving buttercup to her thoughts.

The city of Manehattan glowed in the early morning, the lights of the city gleamed to the moon above. A few ponies roamed the lonely streets, each to his or her own agendas. A cool wind blew through the roads as the dorment city lied.
For the few who were awake, the sight was truly horrific to see. Light suddenly flashed above the city, a swirling set of wisps gleamed and reflected the light across the city. Then another flash occurred, and above the city floated the entirety of cloudsdale. One unfortunate pony found out the hard way by being swept up by the rainbow waterfall, it's stream flowing and becoming dulled from the grime and chemicals of the city.
Then, an echo of a voice sounded from above, it's voice barely undefined by the distance. The few awake stared up at the strange sight, trying to register the words being said. A pause, then a series of blasts rang out like shattering icicles and compressed blasts of air, then the city began to fall.

Twilight shook her head, her eyes unfocused from the massive teleport. Celestia and Luna also rubbed their heads, trying to see what happened. They managed to clear enough to see flame standing on a point nearby, a wicked smile on her face.
“I hope you have more endurance then me. After that I can't stay to watch the fun. But I'll be sure to watch from a safe distance. Good luck.” She flew into the air, brandishing a small button. She shouted out to no one in particular.
“Today will be remembered as the day the clouds fall. Time to see if the love for the masses, and bonds of student and sister, can overturn this power. I will live again!” With that, she pressed it, and flew off and away from the city.
The three princesses looked around, blasts of air echoing around them. They flew off the cloud they were on, just as it burst open and froze into a jagged rock. Celestia quickly dived down to the city, Luna and twilight following close behind. They hovered just above the city, Celestia lighting her horn.
“We have to make a barrier to protect the city. Spread out and ready the spell.” Luna and twilight nodded, adrenaline and instinct making movement faster. The three horns fired beams, weaving and linking into a tightly woven net. They each stood on tall buildings, using the structures to support them.
The debre hit hard and fast, piling higher and higher as it struck the net. The weaves made small pieces of debre fall through, ponies and parts of structures falling through. Twilight turned away with tears in her eyes as a particular pegasus with a rainbow mane, frozen in ice and sleeping with a smile, crashed into the roof of a building she was near.
Ice and snow continued to pile onto the magic barrier, straining each of the princesses as they held the net together. As the last bits of the city hit the net, a stray block of ice bounced off the barrier and struck Luna on the back. The force made her magic falter, causing snow to fall on her head and knock her down to the city below.
On reflex, Celestia flew to try and help Luna, herself being knocked unconscious from a falling pegasus. Twilight, no longer able to support the mass, flew down to the city hooked on the falling ice. Her screams were drowned by the crashing and blasts of the buildings as the city fell.

The early morning came once again to the world of Equestria. The farmers and early birds came out to greet the day. As they did, the ground suddenly shook beneath them, a quake which shook the very foundation of the land. Those who turned to the city of canterlot saw a ploom of fire stretch into the sky, the colors of the rainbow burned bright with the reflection of the sun through it, turning the land a multi colored landscape. None knew yet of the tragedy that befell till much later.

The tinkerer grabbed the edge of the seat, otaku and keros also gripping their chairs as the large quake hit. Buttercup tumbled into the car, slamming the door and bracing it with her hooves. Keros spat slime onto the windows, only barely holding back the torrent of water and dust that blasted through the track.
It took several long minutes before the train settled back and silence returned. The tinkerer was the first to react, walking out to the front car on unsteady hooves. The tracks were covered in dulled brown sludge, the wheels and track coated in it as it laid dormant. Buttercup soon walked out and stood beside him, gagging at the sight.
“The train will slide off the track if we try to run it. What are we going to do?”
“Let me make some calls, then I'll get things moving. And I'd rather make them alone.” Buttercup nodded, then walked back into the other car. He pulled the small radio from his jacket and make a few clicks, eventually getting through to fangorn.
“Are you alright my friend? We just felt the shockwave at the train and I wasn't sure how you delt with it.”
“While I can say I'm ok, my psyche on the other hoof has been hurt by the plume of colored flames rising to the sky. I thought rainbooms were strange, but what I'm seeing now is a real horrific ordeal.”
“Just be glad we can still talk. I still hope to meet you at the remains of the city. Just stay a safe distance, I doubt it'll be easy to navigate.” With a click, he tuned the radio to flame. The only response was static, making him hang up the device. Buttercup came back to see what he wanted.
“Did you manage to find a solution?”
“Yes. Start the magic flames, I'll be needing only a little time.” He walked to the front of the train, gripping the railings of the cattle guard. He began to channel magic, his eyes glowing as his bronze aura spread around him.
“mysticum alas, purgare viam nostram.” a pair of ethereal wings bloomed on the tinkerers body, which blasted away the sludge with a flap. Buttercup started the engine again, and the train moved on the tracks, wave after wave of sludge being wiped away by the magic of his wings. The train continued to the city, slowly heading to whatever lay there.

Celestia awakend, rubbing her temple as she tried to get her bearings. Her eyes were covered in dust, and she fumbled to find something to clean her eyes with. Her hoof eventually splashed into water, and she began washing her face in the warm liquid. When she could finally see, she reeled from the spot she was at.
The puddle she had used was a dull red with the body of a pony in it. The light from the still early sun casted a long shadow over the wreckage of the city. She struggled to her hooves, limping in her back foreleg as she stood. Her left wing drooped to the ground, broken from the impact she felt. She began wandering through the streets, trying to find anyone alive.
Her thoughts were answered when a alicorn landed on a beam nearby, though not who she wanted. Flame looked down at her with a gloomy expression, throwing part of Luna's armor to her.
“Sorry Celestia, I looked for her and found her dead. I'm in no mood to hear your ideas or heroic statements either. Please follow me, twilight is still alive, and I think you'd like to talk to her before she passes.” flame began walking in a path, Celestia forced to follow since she had no other lead, unable to grieve for her sister.
They soon came to a small clearing, where the alicorn was lying on the remains of a structure. Her head was coated in blood, and her horn was fractured all the way to the skull. She was lightly stroking a dirty rainbow mane, mumbling something to herself. Celestia limped over to her, sitting beside her. Flame simply stood to the side, waiting for them to talk.
“Hard to imagine things could come to this, huh? Falling cities, dead friends, broken dreams. And all the while I've had hints and gifts to tell me what was happening. I failed you Celestia, and I'm sorry.” Celestia had tears in one of her eyes, and lightly embraced twilight, the blood on her head dripping onto her neck.
“This was never something I wanted you to experience. I wanted you to help the kingdom along with your friends, not be forced into a game of death and despair. Don't be sorry, you've done all you could, and have been faithful all throughout. Rest easy, you deserve it.” Twilights hoof lightly wrapped around her neck, before falling limply back to the ground. Celestia placed her back on the ground, not bothering to wipe the tears away. Flame turned around and shook her head.
“It's funny actually. She sent a couple of letters to you before things got too intense. My client fabricated letters from you, down to the signature and stamp of canterlot. She died believing you wanted her to settle this as a friendship problem, when in reality you were just oblivious.” Celestia turned to face her, her body quivering as the air began to heat up.
“You took away my sister, killed hundreds of ponies, destroyed landmarks of ponyville, and broke the balance of harmony, all for the sake of a test?” The heat continued to build, the sun in the distance beginning to glow red.
“It may have been wrong, and this wasn't meant to be the original plan, but I have spent too long suspended to not perform. At least it's all over now.” The heat began to grow more intense, the water around Celestia began to boil and evaporate.
“I promised my family I'd bring Luna back. I promised to keep harmony in Equestria, but here we are. I'm sorry.” A fireball launched from the sun, rapidly flying towards them. Flame jumped away as it reached close to the town.
“May the goddesses forgive me for what I'm about to do.” The fire struck Celestia, surrounding her in a flaming tornado. Flame watched as the flames swirled around, a dark laugh coming from in it. After a minute, the flames parted, leaving a new alicorn in its place.
Celestia now stood in Golden armor, which gleamed on the sun and flames. Her wings were spread out, the feather tips glowing as if dipped in gold. The once ethereal mane and tail were now flowing flames, and her eyes glowed red and orange. Flame stared open mouthed at the sight, making Celestia laugh.
“You will burn to a crisp, and I shall spread your ashes across the wind. Then, I will find your masters, and burn them so that no amount of magic or potions could heal the pain I inflict. The sun shall cleanse your sins!” the flames on Celestia's body burned higher and hotter, turning the dirt around her to glass. Flame looked at her, then sighed.
“I guess I have no choice. I'm sorry tinkerer, guess our afterlife will have to wait.” Her magic aura surrounded her, giving a dark glow to contrast the flames. The two then dashed towards each other, ready for the final duel of their lives.

Author's Note:

Sorry this chapter took so long. As you can see, it became pretty long, and my job has me working more hours. I hope to get the last chapter out before the end of the year.