• Published 13th Jul 2012
  • 11,647 Views, 534 Comments

Old Traditions - NightsGlory



Twilight and Big Macintosh's romance continues, and a new obstacle is thrown in their way.

  • ...
17
 534
 11,647

Chapter Eight

“Y’all are doin’ what?” came the voice of an agitated mare. “Ya know what that means to tha family, brother! Ya can’t jus’ go an’ break tradition like that!”

“Ah can, AJ, an’ Ah will,” rumbled a response. “Ah’ve already told Twi ‘bout tha’ tradition, and we’ve decided to buck it. We’re gonna go ahead an’ get this outta tha’ way now.”

Big Macintosh had recently returned to the farm, only to find his siblings and kinfolk absent. As the farmpony tended to do during the fall, he busied himself by sitting on the porch of his homestead, observing nature at its finest. He swore he could actually see the leaves changing colors, but nopony ever believed him. It was alright though; he knew it was true, and that was all that mattered.

Not but an hour after his return, Applejack had trotted up from the direction of the Crusaders’ tree house, mumbling something about how good Applebloom was at fixing things. Of course, the two oldest Apple siblings knew what their younger’s cutie mark would most likely end up relating to, even if she herself didn’t.

When she had seen Big Macintosh sitting on the porch, she promptly sat down next to him in silence, removing her hat and placing it on the floor in front of her. They stayed like that for a while, a mutual respect for Mother Nature between them, until Mac had finally broken their introspective reverie. Needless to say, Applejack hadn’t been too receptive.

“Mac, if’n y’all go ‘round together all lovey dovey, introducin’ the family and whatnot, there’s gonna be a weddin’ happenin’, weather you or Twi like it or not! Is that what yer aimin’ for? A forced marriage?”

“Absolutely not,” Mac rebutted. “Twilight wasn’t sure if Ah could see us goin’ through this ritual, but Ah told her Ah could. Then, after we talked ‘bout it some more, we decided we’d always love one another. So we decided ta go ahead an’ start gettin’ this out of the way early.”

Applejack snorted halfway through his small speech, but let him finish. As soon as he concluded, she said, “Y’all’ll always love each other? Mac, there ain’t no guarantee there. Ah know yer an honest pony, an’ Twilight’s bout as good of a mare as they come, but ya can’t predict tha’ future. It ain’t all rainbows an’ cotton candy, though Celestia knows Pinkie wishes it were.”

“Now Ah ain’t bein’ unrealistic, AJ,” Mac drawled, patience running low. “Ah know this’ll be a tall task fer anypony ta complete. But Ah’ve just…got this feelin’, ya know? Somethin’ that tells me this is right. It’s in mah gut. Just says doin’ this is the right thing, an’ Twi’s the right mare to be doin’ it with.”

“Then why don’tcha just go ahead an’ propose to her then?” the orange mare asked, half as a dare, half as a serious suggestion.

“The poor girl’d freak out, AJ, an’ ya know that almost better’n Ah do.”

Applejack was silent for a moment as she considered several angles of reciprocation. Big Macintosh was looking at her expectantly, waiting for her next argument. Several times, she opened her mouth, only to close it when she found a flaw before her opinion could be voiced. Then, suddenly, her eyes went wide.

“Mac, have ya even thought—“

“Chances are, yes,” he interrupted.

“Ah wasn’t finished,” Applejack deadpanned. “What Ah was gonna say, was have ya even thought about her side of it?”

“AJ, Ah thought we’d been over her side of it when—“

“No, Ah mean her side of the ‘tradition.’ Like, if Twi’s got a bit of that herself.”

Big Mac looked puzzled. “What’cha mean, sis?”

“Ah mean, what about you meetin’ her folks? Ain’t ya thought ‘a that? Hay, her parents are Canterlot nobility. Her brother’s captain of tha Royal Guard, and her sister in law is a princess. Speakin’ of which, the princess of Equestria herself is practically a second mother to that filly. Have ya even given thought ta that, Mac?”

Big Macintosh’s eyes were suddenly shrunken to a microscopic scale. He had not, in fact, considered those implications. Of course, he had known about them, but throughout this whole controversy, he hadn’t given a second thought to it. Perhaps he was so worried about the trials that his own family would face, he didn’t even register the fact that even Twilight’s side of the family could be an issue. Perhaps, even, he just considered it as a win. Perhaps he didn’t think about it because in his mind, he had already won over her family. But neigh, it was not so. And this overlooked aspect gave his sister a smug grin.

“That’s what Ah thought,” she said. “Chew on that for a while, ya big lovehorse.” Applejack promptly stood up, having chalked up this conversation as a proverbial hoofsmack to her brother’s brain, but what he said next almost caused her to trip over herself.

“Bring ‘em on, then. Ah told ya Ah love Twilight, an’ Ah meant it. If she’s willin’ to meet all of our family an’ face their backwards, bigot views, then Ah’m willin’ to risk makin’ a fool of mahself in front of the most important ponies in this great country ‘a ours. Worst they can do is tell me Ah can’t be with mah mare, in which case Ah ain’t afraid ‘a the dungeon.”

Applejack stared at her brother in silence. For a minute, the only sound heard was the low moan of the afternoon breeze, and the crisp crunching of leaves rolling over one another. Slowly, ever so slowly, Applejack replaced her Stetson upon her head, adjusting it just so. She then deliberately moved over to her big brother, and gave him the tightest hug she could.

“Twilight deserves a stallion like you,” she whispered into his ear. “Ah know ya won’t let her down. Ya have mah blessin’, Mac. Go on about yer journey. Just don’t make us wait too long back here in Ponyville.”

“Don’t you worry none, sis,” said the massive stallion, patting her back. “We’ll be gone an’ back before ya know it.”

Pulling away from him, Applejack looked Big Mac dead in the eye, before giving a curt nod and disappearing inside to begin dinner.

Big Macintosh was once again left alone, staring at his magical leaves of change.

***

Wind whipped through the navy blue strands of Twilight’s mane as she trotted towards Sweet Apple Acres. There was a nip in the air, and as such, she had donned a light pink scarf, which Rarity told her “brought out her cutie mark.” Although she really didn’t have too much of a sense for fashion, Twilight did have to admit she looked pretty good in it.

As the Ponyville librarian rounded the last curve to the local farm, she spotted Applebloom, Broomsedge, and Scootaloo playing in the front yard. The three fillies were jumping in and out of piles of leaves, piles that had just been raked up by Big Macintosh and Fuji. The two stallions sat side by side, watching the fillies as they chatted amongst themselves. Twilight passed through the farm’s gate, and for the first time, she saw the aftermath of the brawl across Fuji’s face.

One side of his visage was purple and swollen, though it hardly seemed to hinder his mood. The closer Twilight got, the more she could see him laughing along with Big Macintosh as they watched the younger ponies play.

Mac noticed her suddenly, and raised a hoof in salutations. “Howdy, Twi!” he called, motioning for her to come over. His cry caused the two fillies to look up from their piles of leaves and come running over.

“Twilight!” Applebloom called. “Ya gotta come jump in these leaves! It’s so much fun!” She and her friends ran up to Twilight, stopping her progress as she was caught up in a tight hug from the youngest Apple family member.

“Hey, Applebloom,” Twilight said with a giggle, returning the hug. “Where’s Sweetie?”

“She’s with Rarity. Somethin’ bout a sister’s day out.”

“Well, it’s certainly good to see those two getting along,” the lavender mare commented.

“No kiddin’,” Scootaloo said. “They fight more than Rainbow and Applejack, I swear.”

Twilight noticed Broomsedge’s quiet demeanor. “How are you doing, Broomsedge?”

The little filly noticeably perked up, beaming up at Twilight. “I’m good!” she said. “How are you?”

“I’m well, thanks,” Twilight said with a smile. “You three run on along and get back to playing. We can talk at dinnertime, okay?”

“Okay!” the three fillies shouted, before running back towards the leaves, laughing the whole way there.

Satisfied that the young ponies were happy, Twilight made her way over to Big Macintosh. She noticed Fuji eying her, and though it made her a bit nervous, Big Macintosh had assured her earlier that he was okay now. When she finally got over to their location, she gave her coltfriend a peck on the cheek. “Hey there, Big Mac,” she said in a quiet voice. Then, looking towards Fuji, “And hello, Fuji. How are you?” She couldn’t say butterflies weren’t in her stomach as she addressed the green coated stallion.

“A might bit better than yesterday, thanks,” he said, all air of condescendence gone. “I’d like to apologize formally to ya, ma’am, for my behavior yesterday. It’s been my experience that unicorns are—that is to say, most of the unicorns I’ve run across in my time—are stuck up snobs. Your coltfriend here has explained to me that that is not the case.”

Although she was a bit shocked at Fuji’s sudden change of demeanor, Twilight hid a girlish giggle behind her hoof and glanced at Big Macintosh. “It’s okay, Fuji. Apology accepted. I’m glad you two worked everything out, even if it was in a rather…odd way. How are you feeling?”

Fuji chuckled at her sentiment, rubbing the swollen side of his face. “I’m feeling okay. A bit sore over here, courtesy of the big stallion’s mean right hoof, but I’m doing alright. Thank ya for asking.”

“Sure!” Twilight beamed at him. “So, Mac, what’s on the menu tonight?” She took a seat next to him, leaning on his shoulder while looking out at the fillies playing.

“Ah’m not quite sure, actually,” he said, looking up at some passing clouds. “Applejack wants it to be a surprise. Ah’ll put my bits on it bein’ somethin’ to do with apples, though.”

Twilight snorted in amusement. “Mac, I’d put every bit that I own on every meal that you eat for the rest of your life having to do with apples.”

Fuji laughed at her statement. “Got a sense of humor, ya do,” he said. “I like that. Guess you were right, cous. She ain’t all that bad.”

“Damn straight,” was all the stallion said. It was all that needed to be said. After a moment, he looked down at Twilight and asked her a question. “So, Twi, when were ya thinkin’ ‘bout goin’ on our trip?”

“Hmm? What ‘trip’? The one to visit your family?”

“Eeyup.”

“I dunno, why? When were you thinking?”

“How ‘bout at the end of th’ week?”

Twilight sat bolt upright and stared at her coltfriend. “End of the week?” she exclaimed. “Mac, that’s so sudden!”

“Better sooner than later,” Fuji said.

“You know about this?” Twilight asked, leaning to get a better view of him.

“Yeah. Mac and I were talking about it earlier. It’s honestly to your benefit to go ahead and get it out of the way sooner rather than later. I’m ‘bout positive you’ll have to do it at some point in your life.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Twilight narrowed her eyes at Fuji.

“You know exactly what it means.”

There was a moment of silence as Twilight processed his words. She looked at Big Macintosh, who simply nodded at her. With a huff, she looked back towards the fillies, which were now just lying in one pile of leaves, watching the clouds overhead.

“What would I need to bring?” she asked Mac, without moving her gaze from the yard in front of her.

“Just some packed saddlebags, really,” he said. “Anything we’d really need’d be provided for us by th’ family.”

“Even if it’s me that shows up at their door?”

“Ah’m includin’ mahself in there. All you’d need ta bring, dear, is some packed saddlebags.”

Twilight was silent for a bit longer, until Fuji gave his own input of advice.

“Do it, filly,” he said. “The sooner you get it out of the way, the sooner you can—“

Mac put his hoof in Fuji’s mouth, silently telling him to shut up before he said something that would freak the librarian out.

“The sooner I can what?” Twilight inquired.

“Nothing,” said Fuji, glaring at Big Macintosh, as he spit dirt out of his mouth.

“Anyways, Twi, Ah figured we should go ahead an’ leave. If ya ain’t got no objections, Ah can get tha train tickets tomorrow. We’ll go ta Appaloosa first ta give ya a bit of an easy start.”

Twilight sighed. She looked up at the clouds, down at the fillies, and basically anywhere but at the big red stallion. Sure, earlier that day she had suggested going on this adventure, but now that it was actually here? She didn’t know why she was hesitant. Perhaps she was intimidated by the reality of the situation. Perhaps she was a bit scared. Finally, though, Big Macintosh raised his hoof to her chin, and turned her to look at him.

“Twi, if ya ain’t ready, that’s fine. Ah just thought Ah’d bring it up.”

Staring into his eyes did it. She could see there his honest intentions, his resolve at what they were going to undertake together. As soon as she saw it within him, she knew that she, too, could commit to this right then.

“Alright,” she said. “Alright. This weekend. We can leave on Saturday?”

Big Macintosh smiled at her, dropping his hoof back to the ground. “If that’s what ya want, dear, then ya can have it.”

“And besides,” chimed Fuji, “that gives us all plenty of time to hang out and get to know each other better! We’re leaving on Saturday, too!”

Twilight laughed, looking at the bearded pony. “You sure are a happy pony today.”

“What can I say? Mac’s hoof has good reasons for what it does.”

The three ponies laughed, as Applejack came out on the porch. “Dinner time, y’all! Tonight, we got a soufflé with spiced apples on tha side, an’ fer dessert, cobbler!”

Big Macintosh looked at Twilight and winked. “What’d Ah tell ya?”

“What did I tell you?” she replied with a wink. “Apples for the rest of your life.”

“For the rest of your lives,” Fuji chimed in.

Twilight glared at the green stallion. “Okay, seriously. What is it with you Apples and all this future business? Did I enter into some blood contract when I got into this relationship?”

Big Macintosh laughed, rising to his hooves. “Come on, Applebloom,” he called. “Yer sis has dinner ready. Scootaloo, yer welcome ta stay, as well.”

“Thanks Big Mac!”Scootaloo yelled back. The three fillies made towards the door, followed by Mac, Twilight, and Fuji.

These ponies are just as crazy as I thought when I first moved here, Twilight thought, entering the kitchen.

And all throughout dinner, and all among her conversations with all of the Apples, the only thing she could truly focus on was the coming weekend.