• ...
1
 4
 1,222

Chapter 1: The Island

Daring Do stopped by a cloud in the sky as she looked down to see the island below her. She looked around and saw nothing else but water that surrounded the large island. The volcano in the center of the island stuck out more than anything else and could only prove that Daring Do had found her destination.

“Hmm, this must be it,” the adventuress pony mumbled to herself.

She flew down and felt the humid air against her face as she landed on the dirt road. She adjusted her hat and looked around to see she had landed in what appeared to be a market.

“Incredible! Did you see that?” Some ponies mumbled in the distance.

Daring Do smiled to see the islanders admire her. She saw many wondering eyes and grins but didn’t waste any time by speaking with the admirers. Her main objective was to find information on the cave of gems that was located somewhere on the island. The island had a story and myth but Daring refused to believe it was true because of it’s preposterous tale.

“A drink of water and then I’m off to the jungle. This heat is unbearable,” Daring thought to herself.

As she entered the market, she looked around for some water but only could find fruit carts and clothing racks.

“Beverages? Anything?” She muttered before bumping into something.

She fell flat on her back and felt the dirt splash against her cheeks. She heard a cheerful deep laugh but couldn’t see who it came from since her hat had fallen over her eyes.

“My goodness! A real Pegasus!” Daring Do heard the cheerful stallion say.

Daring Do raised her hat above her eyes and saw it was a tall strong looking colt with a black mustache. His coat was dark purple and his hooves were larger than the average stallion.

“Please excuse my excitement. You could understand that I am like this because I’ve never seen a pony of a different race before!” Said the strong male. His accent was heavy but understandable...barely. Daring Do stood up and cleaned the dirt off of her hat.

“It’s fine, I am a visitor here after all,” Daring Do replied as she observed her hat to see it was dirt free.

“Mind me asking, who are you?” The tall pony asked.

“Daring Do, sir. Nice to meet you,” she grinned and placed her hat back upon her head where it belonged. She looked back up at the pony who knocked her over and smiled.

“Ah, my name is Enrico. I am the mayor of the island and strongest of all the others,” laughed the cheerful stallion.

He appeared to be tall strong and mean but his smile and attitude proved he was too kind to harm a single fly.

“You’re the mayor? Good, maybe you could help me with something then,” Daring Do said with a relieving grin.

“Of course! Anything for a tourist like yourself,” answered Enrico.

“I am looking for the gems that dwell in a cave here on this island. You being the mayor, maybe you could help me?” Daring said as they began to walk through the market.

“You are an adventurer, yes?” Asked the mayor.

“Yeah. Now is the cave somewhere in the jungle or maybe hidden underground?” Daring asked.

Many of the islanders observed Daring Do and were amazed to see a Pegasus in their presence. Daring noticed all of the ponies on the island were earth ponies and so it explained why they were amazed to see Daring and her wings.

“Huh, they’ve been on this island so long I’m surprised they know what a Pegasus is,” Daring Do thought. Daring Do waited for the mayor to answer her and wondered why he was keeping silent.

“You must stay for tonight’s feast. Our crops have grown healthier than last year and we are celebrating with a delicious feast. Please, will you join us?” Enrico smiled. Daring Do sighed and grinned, slightly annoyed.

“Sure, but please could you tell me about the cave? Does it even exist?” Daring Do asked again.

“Our volcano is at the very center of the island and we believe that it is the very heart of the island,” Enrico said. Daring Do groaned and slumped her head down.

“I would leave if it wasn’t for those gems. One in particular that I read about has to be in that cave. That is, if I’m able to ever find it,” Daring Do thought as she looked at the grinning mayor who was deliberately ignoring her questions.

“Here, you can stay here for the day. The feast will begin shortly and we would be honored if an adventuress Pegasus like yourself would stay and entertain us with your presence,” persuaded the mayor.

“How can I argue with that?” Daring Do thought sarcastically. She observed the wooden hut behind the mayor and saw that it was well built and better than most of the others around.

“Well, I have been flying two days straight to find this place. I guess a meal and a good day’s rest couldn’t hurt,” Daring Do sighed. She had ignored her exhaustion and hunger for far too long and realized she needed the rest if she wanted to pursue her adventure.

“Alright, I suppose I could stay. It’s not like the island is going anywhere,” Daring Do smiled.

“Great! A bucket of our freshest water will be delivered to you and our feast will begin at dusk. See you there,” Enrico said with a wide smile. Daring Do smiled lightly and entered the hut. The shade from the sun was cool against her coat and she sighed after resting on the bed. The room was small and had only a bed and two windows but it was paradise to Daring Do. The adventure seeker was exhausted from the journey and was finally glad to get some rest. However, she was too stubborn to admit it to anypony.

---------------------------------------

After some time, she heard a tap at the door. She struggled to open her eyes and felt as if her body was being weighed down. She raised her head and saw she was still in the hut. The window had showed the sun was already setting and that her small doze off had turned into a long nap. The door opened and a pinkish pony walked in with a bucket full of water. Daring Do stood to her feet and shook her head to try and fully wake up.

“Here, I was told to bring you a bucket of water,” she said after setting it down. Daring Do didn’t bother to fix her bed hair or put on her hat. She raced over to the bucket and began to drink the fresh water.

“Is it true? That you are an adventurer?” She asked. Daring Do gulped down the last amount of water before raising her head to look at the pony eye to eye. Her coat was light pink and her mane was short and the color of cherry wood. Daring Do saw her purple eyes before anything else.

“Thank you for the water,” Daring replied. The mare smile and nodded.

“You’re welcome. I can see you were in quiet a mess there. Tired weren’t you?” She said with a small giggle. Daring Do saw she didn’t have an accent like most of the other ponies on the island. Plain clear english just like her.

“Oh.” Daring Do said before brushing down her messed up mane. “Sorry. And to answer your question, yes. I’m what you can say, an adventurer. Also the trip to find this island wasn’t exactly a breeze,” Daring Do said with a smile. She walked over to the window and saw the sun setting quickly behind the horizon.

“I really appreciate that you all are having a feast but I really need to know where that cave is,” Daring Do said.

“Are all the Pegasus in the world like this? Eager to get answers and step over small details. Or is that just how you are, adventurer?” the mare said as she walked up next to the Pegasus.

“Sorry, you’re right,” Daring Do smiled. “I’m Daring Do, and you are?”

“Quest, my name is Quest. It’s nice to meet you, Daring,” she smiled.

“Quest? Nice name, I have to admit I kinda like it a lot,” Daring Do said.

“What else can you expect from an adventurer,” chuckled the pony. A knock was heard at the door and Daring Do made her way to the bed to retrieve her hat. She put it on as the mayor entered the small hut.

“Daring Do! Please come and join us! The feast is ready,” Enrico said as he opened the door.

“Shall we?” Quest said before walking out the door.

“I cannot wait to hear of your stories and adventures tonight,” Enrico said as Daring Do walked out of the hut. Quest went her separate way towards the feast and so Daring Do was left to try and get her questions answered.

“The moon is already in the sky? That was fast,” Daring Do said as she observed the large moon in the sky. Her attention went to the large table and the islanders all smiled at Daring Do with excitement. Daring Do stopped in her tracks after seeing the ponies behave strangely. She looked around to hear sounds of agony and the sight of terror.

“I hate myths,” Daring Do grumbled before hearing a scream.