• Published 9th Jul 2017
  • 1,207 Views, 83 Comments

For Honor, Glory and The Empire - Bronycommander



Pacific 1945. The Japanese fight bravely against the Americans. But for one Japanese squad, it's not fighting the enemy but to keep a lost foal save.

  • ...
4
 83
 1,207

Chapter 5 Burn 'em out

Chapter 5: Burn 'em out

James woke up in the night by a sound. Slowly opening his eyes, he noticed that the rest of the squad was also awake.

The sound came from Flute. She was whimpering and sobbing in her sleep, lightly trembling.

“Poor girl, must have a nightmare.”

“I hate to say it, but she’s better be quiet or the Japs know we’re here.”

“Sadly, yes Polonsky. Miller, James, quiet her down,” Roebuck ordered, not wanting that she gave away their position.

James and Miller got over to her. “Shh, don’t be scared, we’re here for you.”

As James took his arm around her, she screamed and kicked around.

“No! Please! Don’t kill me!” No, not the horn!” Flute yelled in her sleep, trying to get free as the Marines grabbed her. She had a terrible nightmare.

“Stick her with Morphine!” James obeyed Roebuck’s order and pulled a syringe with Morphine out. Low dose so her heart could take it.

The filly struggled but in the moment the morphine was injected, her struggling stopped, her breathing became calmer and she snored peacefully.

James wrapped his arm around her, so she wouldn’t have another nightmare. “Shh, I’m here for you.”

In the morning, the beautiful morning sun shining on her body.

She let out a yawn, felling something warm around her.

James was still asleep, his right arm wrapped around her.

He cares for me. Flute let out a warm smile.

The Corpsman stirred in his sleep, opened his eyes and yawned. “Good morning, Flute.”

“Good morning.” She got up but let out a cry of pain.

“You shouldn’t put too much pressure on it. Let me help.” He gently picked her up. She couldn’t help but blush.

“It’s nice from you that you help me but you can’t carry me all time.” She was embarrassed.

“I do only what is right to make sure your wounds heal properly and fast.

“Morning.” The others greeted as they had breakfast.

“S-sorry for what happened yesterday in the night. I-I just had a nightmare.”

“It’s okay, it happens to all of us.” Miller took a sup from his canteen.

The filly saw how Roebuck made again an entry in his Diary.

Though we've taken the airfield, the enemy still hold onto most of the inland areas of the island. A maze of trenches and artillery positions run right through this whole Godforsaken rock. The enemy's dug in deep, and we have to get our hands dirty. Flamethrowers. We'll burn 'em out.

James gave her the Helmet and they moved out.

“Can I ask you something, James?”

“Everything.”

Is there a reason why you’re became a corpsman?”

“I used to work in the hospital before the war. Me, Miller and Sergeant Roebuck, we're known as ‘The old breed’. ‘Old’... we're not even out of our twenties. I’m 26.”

“So you’re serving since this war started?” Flute was curious

“Yep, since 1941 when Pearl Harbor was attacked. I witnessed it.” He sounded shocked.

“Must been horrible.” Flute didn’t wanted to imagine how it must been back then.

“It was, but it belongs to the past now. I don't look back, I look forward.”

They came to a trench. The Sarge explained the situation.

“Our tanks are getting hammered by mortar fire! We need to clear these trenches and knock out each mortar pit! Get ready with that flamethrower! Incoming!!!”

“MG up on that hill! It's tearing up our men!” Polonsky pointed it out.

“Throw some smoke for cover! Or it will rip us to shreds!” James crouched to avoid that he or Flute would get hit by it.

“Smoke out!” Miller threw a Smoke grenade.

“Go! All right... let's keep on 'em! This way! Eyes open!” Roebuck watched out for any ambushes as they took a right turn, then a left and the first pit was in sight.

“First mortar pit up ahead!” Polonsky yelled.

“Go clear it out, Miller...” Roebuck ordered, giving covering fire.

An enemy Grenade landed near Flute. “Grenade!” She yelled, James threw it back.

“Back to sender!”

He sat her down behind a barrel. She covered her ears, not able to bear the screams of the Japanese soldier who got burned by Miller.

“One down. Move on!”

“Tenno Heika Banzai!” a Banzai Charger charged at James, he countered it by hitting him with the butt of his Carbine.

“Banzai yourself!” Then he picked Flute up as they moved to the next pit.

A radioman took her in his arms as James vaulted out of the trench to the next, then passed her back.

“There's the next mortar pit!” Polonsky covered Miller as he moved into range.

“Burn 'em!!!!”

Miller did so as told. Flute heard the ping sound as Polonsky reloaded, James inserted a new magazine for his rifle after Flute was in a safe spot.

Her ears ringed as the pit exploded in a giant fireball. “Oh my…” Her eyes went small in shock.

“Don’t look.” James had a fatherly tone, patting her.

Taken out. One more pit to clear. Keep it up.” Roebuck ordered.

“Sniper!” Miller yelled as a bullet flew past him, almost hitting Flute who yelped in fear.

“I got him.” With a short burst of his Thompson, Roebuck had killed him as he was on a bridge above the trench.

At multiple tunnels, 2 Imperial soldiers were standing near explosive red barrels. Polonsky fired two shots at it, making them explode and killing the hostile soldiers with it.

“Get in there and clear those tunnels!”

Miller walked ahead to clear the way.

“Last mortar pit's dead ahead! Move! We're almost done here.”

The last pit was heavily defended but it was no match for the flamethrower.

Flute pressed herself against the Corpsman, praying that Sato was not killed.

“Outstanding!” Roebuck was proud as the reported to command.

“Sir, mortar pits have been neutralized... Tanks are now en route to the point.”

“Tanks are moving up!” Polonsky pointed at several Sherman tanks driving by, followed by infantry. Flute yes went wide as she was fascinated.

“Radio command, tell 'em we've cleared the mortar pits. Good work, Marines...Now only the Coast guns are left and then…You can get off this rock.” Roebuck ruffled her hair causing her to giggle.


Sato was still alive, and so were his friends, but he was worried about Flute.

“I-I can’t believe we left her behind…” He buried his head into his hands as he couldn’t believe it at the HQ.

“Sato…” Chiba tried to find the right words, “I’m sure the US-troops didn’t hurt her and she’s safe and sound. It happened too fast.”

“What makes you so sure?”

“Well, I overheard reports that a corpsman carrying a filly in his arms was spotted.”

“No doubt they will try to get her of this island. But this maybe…could be better for her to be with them then us.” Sato realized that she may be safer with the US troops then with the Japanese.”

“I’m not so sure. I have the feeling that they and we both will regret that.” Chiba looked towards the sea, not sure what would happen.

Author's Note:

What could Chiba mean with that? Tootsie having a nightmare was based on this from the pacific As the last chapter, it's based in the mission from COD WAW with the same name. And James's line when he countered the Banzai Charger, that's what I sayed sometimes when I countered them.