• Published 9th Jul 2017
  • 1,190 Views, 83 Comments

For Honor, Glory and The Empire - Bronycommander



Pacific 1945. The Japanese fight bravely against the Americans. But for one Japanese squad, it's not fighting the enemy but to keep a lost foal save.

  • ...
4
 83
 1,190

Chapter 2 Iwo Jima

Chapter 2: Iwo Jima

While Iwo Jima was only 21 square kilometers large, Tootsie Flute was still amazed as her eyes went wide. “That’s Iwo Jima? It’s looks beautiful.”

Sato chuckled. “You should see the other islands, they’re even more beautiful.”

Iwo Jima was very important for both sides. For Japan, the island as base for their planes, where they started their attacks against the US-bombers, and could warn the motherland via radio of Imminent air raids.

For the USA, if they could capture Iwo Jima, it would be the perfect base for escorts of their bombers and as emergency landing field for damaged planes.

Once off the cruiser, Sato helped Flute on a Model 94 Isuzu truck that brought them to an airfield where General Tadamichi Kuribayashi was expected to arrive. Flute snuggled herself into Sato’s arms.

As the plane of the General landed, the squad stood at attention. General Kuribayashi was a Military attaché before the war and knew a lot about the USA.

Flute was hiding behind Sato’s back as the General came out.

“Welcome on Iwo Jima, General.” Chiba bowed.

“At ease, captain. I’m here to take command and to inspect the Defense systems.”

“As you wish, sir.”

The Japanese knew that the Americans were superior in an open battle, so, they had built an Extensive trench and tunnel system to defend Iwo Jima.

Despite her best’s efforts, Flute got spotted by the General. “Who’s this?” He asked suspicious.

Chiba scratched his back nervously. “Well, her name is Tootsie Flute, a lost child one of my men found before we moved out to Iwo Jima.”

Flute trembled lightly, fearing that the General wouldn’t believe Chiba.

Sato stepped forward. “Sir, by my honor, I couldn’t let her die where I found her. I take the full responsibility for it.” He was ready to die for Flute as he explained her origin and such.

Kuribayashi smiled at them.

“You can be proud of yourself, soldier. That’s what I expect from an Honorable soldier. Keep her safe.”

“Yes, sir.”

The General kneeled down to Flute and ruffled her mane, causing her to giggle.

“By my honor, I promise, I will keep you safe.”

“Thank you, General Kuribayashi.” She did a respectful bow like the ponies did when they meet one of the princesses. (Minus Princess Twilight Sparkle, who said it wasn’t necessary.)

The other soldiers were too busy to notice her. Flute saw a metal box on tracks with a barrel sticking out in the front. “What is that?” She pointed with a hoof at it.

“That’s the Type 95 Ha-Go, a light tank. it’s the main light tank of our forces. Won’t do much with only a 37-mm gun and 12 mm thick armor, but is still an excellent vehicle and is very popular with the crews,” Sato explained as it drove past them.

The Imperial Army was well prepared with Type 92 MGs, 200mm Coastal Guns and Type 97 Chi-Ha tanks with bags barricades erected all around them, as fortified Anti-tank guns but were also useful against infantry. The Ha-Go tanks guarded the airfield.

Chiba’s squad was deployed in the back of the pillboxes at the beach, but should retreat to the trench and tunnel system of the mountain Suribachi should it get too heavy.

It was quiet, the Americans hadn’t began their landing. Chiba gave Sato permission to show the young unicorn the island.

Out of nowhere, Takeichi Nishi appeared on his horse. “What have we here?” He got down from his horse.

“Sir,” Sato saluted, “May I introduce my little friend to you? Her name is Tootsie Flute. Flute, this is Lieutenant-Colonel Baron Takeichi Nishi.”

Before Flute could greet the Baron, he gave her a tight hug. “I love horses, especially foals!” He exclaimed, Flute gasped for air.

“Oh, sorry. I just love horses, and you’re so cute!”

“Thank you.” She blushed.

“She can talk?!” the baron couldn’t believe it.

“Well…yes.” Sato explained her backstory.

“That’s…amazing!” Nishi exclaimed.

“It is, yes,” Sato scratched his back.

“Well now, keep her safe, I have to meet General Kuribayashi.” He got back on his horse and galloped into the distance. Flute looked admiring after him.

“You know, Nishi was an equestrian show jumper, and Olympic Gold Medalist at the 1932 Los Angeles Olympics.”

“Interesting.”

Later in the evening Flute ate rice as Dinner, Sato tucked her in after it. “Goodnight, sweet dreams.” He kissed Flute on the forehead.

“Thank you. I just miss them so much.” She sounded sad.

“Don’t you worry, I’m sure they will find you.”

Flute smiled. “You’re right. They will not give up until they gave found me.” With that she fell asleep.

“She so cute!” Chiba smiled at the sleeping filly, Suzuki, Hiroto and Osaka agreed while playing cards.

“Indeed. I just hope she won’t get killed or hurt.” Sato was worried about her safety.

“Don’t worry, General Kuribayashi said she can stay with him and we will be in the safer posts to guarantee her safety,” Chiba assured him.

“Good to know.”

Sato went to bed, smiling at the peaceful sleeping filly next to him.

In the night, he dreamed that Flute was playing with his sister in the garden, while he and his wife watched them.

“I’m so proud of you, Sato. Who knows what happened to her if you hadn’t found her.” They came closer to kiss.

An explosion tore him out of it.

“What’s happening?” Flute trembled in fear.

“They’re bombing our emplacements. Don’t worry, they will hold.” He took her in his arm as she was covering her ears, whimpering.

“Shh, it’s okay. They want to soften us up so the battle will be easier for them. They also want they we are too tired to defend when they attack.”

“W-when do they stop?” the filly stuttered.

“Soon my dear, soon.”

It lasted for 3 days. But still, thanks to Sato and his comrades, Flute calmed down and caught some sleep.

In the morning, Sato and Suzuki, Hiroto and Osaka went to their positions as the landing was beginning.

Chiba was staying with her until she woke up. The unicorn stirred and let out a cute yawn. “Good morning, Chiba. Where’s Sato?”

"At his post, the Americans have started their landing.” He gave the foal a bowl of rice. “Sorry, it’s the only thing of food we have here as it won’t spoil fast.”

“I don’t mind it at all, I’m just glad to have something in my stomach."

They got outside where they had a good view. Flute’s eyes went wide.

Thousands of small ships approached the beach. She had never seen anything like that.

“Wow. Those are many ships.” She was impressed.

“Yes.”

Nishi was talking with Kuribayashi, watching the landing with binoculars.

“Shall we commence fire?” Nishi asked.

“Wait,” Kuribayashi replied.

“The men want to fire.” Nishi answered before speaking into a radio. “Hold your fire!”

“They will take the beach in no time if we don’t resist,” Chiba was worried but didn’t doubted Kuribayashi’s plan.

“Wait until the beach is full,” Kuribayashi ordered.

They all understood. When the US-troops were gathered, they would make easier targets then being outspread.

Sato and his friends watched though binoculars how the enemy gathered on the beach, waiting for the order to fire.

Chiba gave Flute his binoculars, she used her magic to use it. She was fascinated, at the same time impressed how good organized the US troops were. Once a ship had unloaded his load, it drove back into the sea, without hampering the still landing ships.

“Let’s go! Commence firing!” the general ordered and Nishi gave the order further.

“Fire!”

The Japanese soldiers opened fire.

MGs, Coastal Guns and Tanks caused heavy casualties for the Americans.

Flute looked away, as she couldn’t stand it.


Hiroto fired with his sniper rifle, Osaka his LMG. Sato and Suzuki waited in ambush until the US-soldiers came closer.

The Sniper and MG gunner managed to kill an entire squad. Two US-marines came closer to the paratrooper and soldier, it was the perfect moment to strike.

Tenno Heika Banzai!” They charged at the enemy soldiers, impaling them in their hearts, a quick and painless death, both men didn’t like to make it bloody and painful.

The enemy had destroyed the pillboxes with his flamethrowers, despite Hiroto taking out as many as he could as they posed the biggest threat.

They hold their ground, killing many hostile soldiers.

However, as ship artillery started to fire, the Japanese squad was forced to retreat.

They retreated into one of the trenches. The Americans outgunned, outnumbered and outclassed the young Japanese, but they bravely stood their ground.

Sato’s rife made a clicking sound despite still having a round loaded. Having no time to fix it, he switched to his sidearm and fired at the incoming enemies.


Inside his bunker, Chiba reported to Kuribayashi, Flute was with him.

“The guns of the Kitakubo unit were destroyed. All the pillbox unites have been destroyed. However, all other forces are intact…and we estimate more than 1,000 enemy casualties.”

“The pillbox destruction was unavoidable. Overall, this is good news. How are the men holding up at Suribachi?” Kuribayashi asked.

“Forces are intact.”

“Excellent. Want some chocolate?” the general asked his young guest.

“Yes, please.” The general gave it to her and she took a bite, enjoying it with a smile.

“Captain Chiba, order your men to retreat to the next defensive line.”

“Yes, sir.”


Sato and his friends were still fighting off the Americans. “Sato! Sato!” a young voice rang through his ears. It was Flute.

It was safe as the assault was over for a moment. “What is it?” He fixed his rifle.

“Fall back to the next defensive line!” Chiba caught up, out of breath, not believing that Flute could be faster that himself.

“Grenade!” a soldier shouted. Flute saw a pineapple flying through the air. It was made of metal. While it landed not next to her, the explosion threw her to the ground disorientated her, vision blurry, ears ringing.

A Japanese soldier asked her if she was okay as her hearing slowly returned and the ringing stopped, only to be killed by a bullet to the head.

Her eyes went small in shock. Another soldier tried to help her up but then, a jet of flames lighted him up.

He screamed in pain he tried to put it out.

Flute saw another flame, coming from a soldier wearing a tank with a hose attached to hit. “Burn baby, burn!” The US soldier walked steadily towards the trench, his voice was grumpy, like he had seen some very bad things and he looked with disgust and hate at the imperial soldiers. He fired into the trench, Sato barely avoided it.

Flute couldn’t move, she was petrified with fear as other US soldiers surrounded her. Sato and his comrades saw it but couldn’t get her without hurting her, so they tried to distract the Americans, so they could get Flute to safety.

Osaka killed the flamethrower but he and his friends were the only defenders left of the trenches.

Suddenly, the unicorn heard a loud scream.

Japanese reinforcements with tank support arrived, forced the US-troops to retreat.

Victory! For now. Sato thought relieved. His heart broke as he saw how Flute cowered, eyes closed, hooves covering ears, trembling. She flinched as he patted her.

“Shh, it’s over.” Again, he took her on his arm, she was crying, burying her heart into his chest.

“I-I thought they would kill me!”

“Don’t worry, we will protect you from any harm.”

“Uh, guys, we have a problem. We are supposed to take position inside Suribachi, but the entrance here got destroyed and the next is a few kilometers away,” Chiba realized that it would take some time to get there.

One of the tank commanders opened the hatch and popped his head out.

“No problem, hop on, we bring you there. I’m sure your little friend will like it.”

Sato climbed on the Ha-Go with Flute on his arm. Her trembling stopped and a smile formed on her face as the tank moved.

While being slow for a light tank, Flute enjoying the ride and the wind brushing against her fur, until they arrived at another entrance of the hill.

Inside, Flute enjoyed some rice and let out a yawn as she was tired. Sato tucked her in. “Goodnight.”

“You have done well. Get some rest, Sato, you earned it.” Chiba and his friends were proud.

“Thanks.” He putted his arm around the foal, falling asleep with a smile as he was glad that she had survived and that they could hold off the US-Marines so far. But tomorrow, things would change.

Author's Note:

They could hold the US Marines off. For now. THe landing scene is based off the same scene in Letters From iwo Jima.