• Published 9th Jul 2017
  • 1,209 Views, 83 Comments

For Honor, Glory and The Empire - Bronycommander



Pacific 1945. The Japanese fight bravely against the Americans. But for one Japanese squad, it's not fighting the enemy but to keep a lost foal save.

  • ...
4
 83
 1,209

Chapter 10 Meet the family

Chapter 10: Meet the family

They hugged each other with tears of joy. “I’m so glad you’re survived, Flute!” James cried.

“How long was I out?” Flute asked confused.

“1 month or 2.”

“Months?!” Flute exclaimed in panic and shock.

“Shh, calm down. You’re fallen into a coma but you’re woken up now. Also, your burns are healed and your fur has grown back. You’re in a hospital in the USA. What about I introduce you to my wife and daughter?” the young man offered.

Flute smiled. “I would like to see them.”

“I think that has to wait.” A new voice said.

James turned around and saw a man in a black coat, wearing a fedora. “Who are you?”

The man gave him his ID. “Agent Tanner, Secret service. I’m here for the foal.”

James took a protective stance. “Don’t even think about taking her!” She began to tremble in fear.

Tanner waved a hand. “Calm down soldier, I just have some question for her, that’s all.”

“Fine.” The Corpsman slowly moved aside, watching the agent’s movements closely.

“What do you want to know, Mr. Tanner?” Flute was polite but fear was still in her voice.

“I would like to know about your home, your parents, diet, how you got here and what you learned about humanity.”

Flute answered his question as good as she could. While ponies were vegetarians, James got used to meat and Flute told the agent that she didn’t mind it as her mother told her about it once, knowing that it was important to their survival.

Tanner was impressed how much she knew. “Well, that’s enough. My sympathy for all you been through, Still, I wish you a pleasant stay in the United States of America.” He turned to Heart who still watched Tanner carefully.

“You can be proud of yourself. I’m impressed that you could keep this secret for so long. I would have done the same if I would be father of a filly.” He patted James’s shoulder and left.

While still staying a few days in the hospital, the unicorn heard a conversation between two Security guards of the hospital.

“…But listen, I was watching cartoons and a report about ponies, and it give me an idea.”

“Oh here we go…Okay Einstein, let’s hear it.” The other guard was not happy to hear his co-worker’s idea.

“Uh, listen to this: What about a show…about talking ponies?”

“What do you mean?”

“You know, ponies that live like we do. Chatting, working, drive cars. Maybe even uhh…grab and use items like we can.”

“Have you been sniffing glue? How they’re gonna do that?”

“Listen, I ain’t work that out yet but, they probably have some sort of magic to do those things. Maybe some different races too…”

“Uh, yeah, that’s a brilliant idea, huh. That sounds interesting but it will never gonna happen.”

“Oh yeah? I’m sure someone will figure out someday, and you can mark my words on that!” The first guard exclaimed.

“Uh-huh. Sure they will. Right after a guy publishes a story of a city in the sea.” The other guard chuckled.

The filly’s immune system had won the fight against Tuberculosis, so she got discharged.

Once outside, James spoke proudly, “Welcome to the USA, my daughter.”

They took the next train to cottonwood. The unicorn enjoyed the view out of the window, while her father was taking a nap.

At the train station, they got greeted by Harper and Victoria. “Daddy! Over here!” the girl called out as she ran into her father for a tight hug. “Welcome home! I missed you!”

He returned it. “I missed you too, sweetheart. Harper, you haven’t changed a bit.” He kissed his wife.

“You too. Who’s this?” She asked as she saw Flute. She waved friendly with a smile.

“I’m Tootsie Flute, Mrs. Elliot.” She introduced herself.

“That’s polite but Harper is just fine. And this is my daughter Victoria.”

While the girl was younger then the foal, she greeted her with a friendly smile. Harper didn’t have to ask about James’s companion, she got instantly that Flute was his child from Equestria.

“Let’s drive home.” They got to the woman’s car, a dark blue 1940 Chrysler New Yorker, also called Culver Empire by some people.

Victoria talked with Flute about the city as they all drove home. The Radio played Farell Draper - Held for questioning.

“There it is…Cottonwood. Tell the truth. You miss it?” James’ wife asked as she drove through the streets.

“To be honest, I missed you and our daughter more than the city, but anything’s better than a foxhole.”

“How long has it been, 4 years?”

Actually 2. You remember when I was on leave in 1943, don’t you?”

“Of course I do. I’m just so happy to see you again.”

Flute liked the city. To her right, she saw how a police officer wrote a ticket to a driver, whose car had been crashed against a tree.

As the car reached the Elliot’s home, Flute looked up at the sounds of engines. The filly saw two B-17's flying overhead and looked at them in awe.

James was talking with a man in a newspaper stand. “Hey, what’s the good work?”

“How you doing, soldier?”

“Lot better now that I’m home.”

“You on leave, or home for good?”

“On leave. What’s new around here?”

“Tell the truth, not much. Everybody just wants the war to be over already. Wish I had some good news for you.”

“Yeah, you and me both. Alright, I’ll see you.”

“Catch you later, buddy.“

The unicorn was smiling happy at the furnishings of the house. A telephone and radio were on the living room, plus a TV. “Nice place you have here.”

“Thank you. You can watch TV or listen to music while I and my wife prepare Dinner.” James offered.

Victoria turned the radio on. It played Louis Prima - When you're smiling.

She and Flute danced happy together to the music while James and Harper made Veggies as Dinner.

When you're smiling

When you're smiling

And the whole world smiles with you

And when you're laughing

Oh, when you're laughing

Mmm, man, the sun comes shining through

When you're crying

You bring on the rain

Stop your sighing

Won't you be happy again?

When you're smiling

Keep on smiling

And the whole world smiles with you

When you're laughing

You bring on the joy

Be happy, you've got to groove, my boy

When you're smiling

Keep on smiling

And the whole world smiles with you, oh!

'Cause I'm the sheik of Araby

(With your turban on)

Ooo, your love belongs to me

(With your turban on)

Well, at night when you're asleep

Baby, into your tent I'll creep

(With your turban on)

And the stars that shine above

(Jumpin' as a jaybird)

Will light our way to love

And you'll rule this crazy land with me

I'm the sheik-y man, that's who I be!

“She’s like Victoria. How did you found her?” The young woman asked him.

James sighed. “It’s a long story.”

He told his wife how he found Flute on Iwo Jima and through what she had went so far.

Harper suppressed tears as she looked sadly at the happy foal. “Poor child. But I’m so proud of you.”

“Thanks. Well, technically, Flute is Victoria’s half-sister.”

“Yes she is.”

Flute enjoyed the Dinner with a big grin. “Delicious! You’re a good cook!”

The mother blushed at the compliment. “Thank you.”

“Victoria, we have something to tell you.” James took a deep breath and told his human daughter about his origin.

While Victoria was younger than Flute, she still understood everything. “I had a feeling that you’re familiar to me, Flute.”

“Me too.” Flute yawned, showing unintentionally how tired she was.

“Looks like someone is tired. You should catch some sleep. You earned it.” James smiled.

“Do you have a guest room or a sleeping bag?” The filly asked becoming tired.

“You can share my bed, Flute.” Victoria offered. “I don’t mind it at all as you’re my half-sister.”

“Okay.” The filly was too tired to resist as Harper carried her and tucked the two children in.

“Do you want me to sing to you tonight, Victoria?” She asked smiling at her, Victoria looked over and saw Tootsie Flute had already drifted to sleep and smiled at her shaking her head, pointing at her half-sister. “Okay sweetheart, sleep well.” The wife gave both girls a kiss on the foreheads before heading with her husband into bed.

“She looks like an Angel when she is asleep. Goodnight, James. I love you.”

“I love you too.”

In the morning, Flute woke up and stretched herself. She noticed that her human half-sister was already up. “Good morning Flute, I made you breakfast. Victoria walked with a Breakfast Board in. On it were a bowl of oatmeal and a glass of juice.

“Good morning and thank you.” The filly enjoyed her breakfast, smiling.

“I will do anything I can, to make your stay comfortable, sister.”

“I appreciate it, Victoria.”

They walked into the living room. James was wearing a blue suit with hat and a red tie. “Good morning, children, slept well?”

“Yes we did.” They both replied.

“James, what have you planed?” his wife asked him.

“Visiting an old friend. Plus, Polonsky asked me if I could send his mother his regards. Want to come with me, Flute?”

She grinned. “But of course!” she exclaimed.

“Have fun!” Harper called out as they got out.

The unicorn followed her father to the garage where an orange Lincoln Continental Convertible, sometimes called Jefferson Provincial.

The radio played Antoine Domino - The fat man.

During the ride, Flute noticed that apart from the soldiers who were on leave and the GMC CCKW Trucks that drove around, there was nothing that would hint the USA was at war.

James stopped next to a house with a backyard.

He used the doorbell. A man with black hair and brown eyes opened the door. Actually, he had only one eye, as he had an eyepatch where his left eye should be. “Hey, James!” They gave each other a friendly hug.

“Joe, it’s so nice to see you again.”

“You too. Come in.” Then he saw Flute and was confused. “Who’s your little friend?”

“You remember when I told you about my origin back in Wheeler Army Airfield, don’t you?”

“Of course I do. This is your daughter, right?”

“Yes sir, name’s Tootsie Flute.” She introduced herself.

Joe smiled. “Nice to meet you, Joe is just fine.”

In the living room, Joe brought some sandwiches and two cups of coffee with a glass of juice for Flute.

“Where you were? Was it in Normandy like me, huh? No, Africa? Alright, let me guess, uh...” Joe tried to guess

“Iwo Jima.”

“Yeah? What unit were you in?”

“1st Marine Division.”

“You were on Iwo Jima? Was kind of hairy, I heard.”

“Well, it was no picnic, I tell you. I got order to take care of her, so I got sent home.”

“Yeah…any medals?” Joe took a sip from his coffee.

“Yeah. Purple Cross and the Navy Cross.”

“Whoa, you got a cross! Let me tell you, they don’t give those awards out for nothing. I was in Normandy. We hit Utah Beach, that wasn’t no picnic either, but…”

The former soldier told them how he served in the landing in Normandy. He was captured by a small squad of Waffen-SS troops but escaped.

“…I was crawlin’ over the fence surrounding the house they held me in, I poked my eye out on a tree branch, heh. Well, hey, it was good enough for a discharge. How did your daughter land on Iwo Jima?”

“It’s kind of a long story.” Flute took a deep breath and told Joe everything. The veteran had sympathy for her as he ruffled her mane.

“Poor you. But it seems some Imperial soldiers have a heart unlike what I heard. Oh, almost forget, let me show you something, James.” Joe got up to get something out of his bedroom.

He came back with a Luger pistol. “I stole this from the SS-officer. He slept so tight that he didn’t notice it at all.”

“A pistol 08, a favored trophy. Lucky you,” James commented.

“Daddy,” Flute interrupted, “Can you tell me more about your time here before the war?” She took a bite from her sandwich.

“Of course. Good times.” He mumbled with a smile.

He told his daughter how he spent an evening with his wife in the theater, another one in an opera and spent a beautiful evening in the best restaurant in town. He did the same with Lyra. The filly listened to everything with great interest and laughed when James told her how good friends he and Joe became, sometimes pulling off pranks.

“It was nice seeing you again, Joe. if you excuse us, we have a train to catch.”

“Likewise my friend. Enjoy your stay, Flute!” he called out as they left.

On the way to the train station, the radio played Belleville by Django Reinhardt.

This time, Flute fell asleep while the train was en route to New York.

When they arrived, Flute eyes went wide at the city. Wow…I was only once in Manehattan…but this is…beautiful.”

James chuckled. “This was also my reaction when I first was here.”

They took the next bus to Queens. Every commented how cute Flute’s “costume” was.

At a house, James knocked on the door. A young woman with the same eye and hair color as Polonsky opened the door.

“Yes?” She asked before she recognized James. “Oh, James, what brings you here?” She was smiling.

“Hello, Ms. Polonsky, I’m here to send you your son’s regards.”

“That’s nice from you. Want to come in for a cup of tea?” She offered politely.

“Thanks, but I wanted to show my daughter New York.”

The woman saw Flute behind his back. “Aww, aren’t you cute. You can be proud of your father.”

“I am proud of him!” She exclaimed happy.

“I hope you enjoy the tour.” Polonsky’s mother said goodbye.

And Flute did enjoy the tour, especially the sights. She enjoyed Manhattan the most and the great view from the Empire State building.

After the tour, they were on their way home. James and Harper had something special planed for Dinner.

After reaching Cottonwood, Flute noticed how James stopped next to a Restaurant named Stella's Diner. What has he in mind? The baby blue foal wondered as she saw how her father ordered something and got back with four Alufolia where something was packed up. It was warm, Flute could feel the warm from them.

Finally at home, the soldier revealed that he had bought doner for Dinner. Three normal doner for himself, his wife and daughter and one Vegetarian doner for Flute.

“Mhh, delicious!” The foal enjoyed every bite, smiling. Her mouth was covered in garlic sauce. “Never had eaten something like this before!”

Harper smiled. “Glad to hear it. It’s called a doner, a type of Turkish kebab, made of meat cooked on a vertical rotisserie. We thought you would like it to try.”

“And I enjoy every bite!” After having finished, the married couple cleaned the kitchen while Victoria tickled her half-sister until she was lying on the ground, trying to catch her breath. Then they were drawing together.

After the cleaning was complete, the adult’s hearts melted.

The children were asleep on the floor, a drawing between them. Flute had drawn Lyra and Sweetie Drops with the words “Mother, sister” and “I miss you,” Above them. She had also drawn herself with Victoria, Harper and James.

Harper hung it up on the Refrigerator, while her husband tucked the children in.

“It’s heartbreaking how she misses them.” Harper looked sad at the sleeping unicorn.

“I know, but she has us. And she’s safe from the war.”

“That’s right. Goodnight.” They went to bed.

The young man woke up in the middle of the night as he had to use the bathroom. Shouldn’t have drink so much in the evening.

After he had washed his hands, he had to smile, as the children snuggled in their sleep.


The unicorn stirred in her sleep, letting out a yawn. Looking on the clock, it was 10AM in the morning. Victoria also awoke. “Good morning, sister.” The girl smiled warmly at her half-sister.

“Good morning, Victoria.” They got out of the bed, seeing that their parents were still asleep.

“I got an idea. How about we make breakfast for our parents?” Victoria suggested.

“I was thinking the same!” Flute exclaimed with a smile.

Harper and her husband woke up as a wonderful smell came out of the kitchen. Flute and Victoria walked in. They carried Breakfast Boards with toast and two glasses of juice on them in.” Thanks, children.” Harper was pleased that they did such a nice act.

“Delicious.” Flute blushed at this.

“Thank you, James.”

For the rest of the day, the filly helped in the house and the ranch. At first, she was confused that the horses couldn’t talk and such but understood it quickly, having greatest pleasure in helping out. At one time, she fell of the tractor but was apart from some bruises fine.

After a few weeks, the radio had a special report.

“This is a solemn but a glorious hour. I only wish that Franklin D. Roosevelt had lived to see this day. General Eisenhower informs me that the forces of Germany have surrendered to the United Nations. The flags of freedom fly over all Europe.

For this victory, we join in offering our thanks to the Providence which has guided and sustained us through the dark days of adversity. The victory won in the West, must now be won in the East.” President Truman announced.

Hearing that the war in Europe was over, the family celebrated with the crowds on the streets. Flute couldn’t help herself but feel joy and happiness that the war was over, at least in Europe.

But, as the war in the pacific wasn’t over yet, James had to go back there. It made her sad, but she enjoyed the time with him and the celebration.

A few days later, she hugged him in the harbor as he went back. “I will miss you, daddy.”

“I will miss you too, sweetheart.” He stroked her mane one last time before he went onboard a medical ship.

Then she heard the voice of a woman. “Aww, so cute! What do you say girls, should she be our mascot?” She picked the filly up, hugging her happy. It was a nurse of the Nursing Corp.

“Yes!” They replied, smiling at the cute foal.

While Flute liked how they found her cute, she felt unsafe. “Uhh, James...little help, please?" She asked as they brought her onboard, seeing him along the other Corpsmen.

“Hey!” He exclaimed at the sight, “What are you thinking?! Her parents will be worried and you didn’t even ask her if she wants to!”

“Sorry sir, she’s just so cute!” The Nurse let the filly down.

“Don’t worry, we will inform your parents right away!” another leaved for the radio room.

“You could help us carry supplies or can give the soldiers lemonade.” The nurse asked Flute.

“I would like to help. Can I, daddy?” She looked with puppy eyes at James.

“Yes.” Given that she would give lemonade to him and other Marines and carry supplies, he agreed, as she should stay safe this way.

On the way to Okinawa, the women played with Flute and gave her lemonade which she enjoyed.

One of the nurses said to Flute that her father was an officer and told her about the Operation plan of the US-troops. The plan was to take the town Naha. Then Shuri. That way, they would take piece by piece of the island. First south, then north. The planes of the Marine Corps had the task to bomb the enemy airbases and positions to prevent any counterattack by the Japanese.

James was filled with concern about his daughter’s safety.

Suddenly a siren sounded and red lights went on. “Enemy dive-bombers!” a crew member shouted as Aichi D3As dived and hit the ship, causing Flute to lose her balance.

“They hit the engine, we’re sitting ducks!” James helped her up as crewmembers worked on extinguishing the fire in the engine room. It was done fast and they tried to repair it.

A Japanese cruiser drove towards the disabled ship as the radio operator tried to send a call for help. “Mayday, Mayday! We’re under attack by enemy forces! We’re being overwhelmed!”

“That’s it, we’re done for!” a young soldier panicked.

“If they wanted to sink our ship, the bombers had sunk us already,” James replied.

“They want to board us!” one of the Nurses yelled in fear.

The soldiers got their weapons. “Flute, hide somewhere. We will defend you.” James said to her. She nodded scared and hid herself under a bed.

Even the nurses grabbed weapons. “We must not fail! Hold that line!” The Corpsman ordered.

He heard the sounds of boots. “Here they come!”

Bad for them, the Japanese soldiers were not ordinary soldiers but Marines from the Special Naval Landing Forces. They wore light green uniforms and an anchor insignia on the front of their helmets, which indicates their position as part of the Navy.

They were known to be formidable opponents even in one on one situations and as some of the toughest and most capable enemy soldiers.

James leaned against the wall for cover as the hostiles quickly overrun the defenders, making him the only one left.

He trembled in fear as they advanced, knowing he was the only one left and must not fail to prevent the capture of his daughter. He had heard and seen what the Japs did to prisoners and he didn’t want to imagine what they would do to her.

The young soldier managed to kill two enemy Marines before he was hit by a bullet into the gut, then into the chest and fell to the ground.

“Search the filly!” One Marine shouted. Flute cowered in fear as she saw how her father was killed. One of them found her hiding spot and dragged her out.

She screamed in fear before she was knocked out. “Good work. Now let’s get out of here.”

“What about the ship, Sir?” one of the lower ranking marines asked.

“We leave it that way. To show the Americans that the Empire of Japan is an enemy that should not be underestimated.” They left with the knocked out foal.

Unknown to them, James was still alive. “I’m so sorry, Flute. I have failed.” He was sad that he had failed in protecting his daughter.

Author's Note:

She got Captured! Given that Tootsie's from another universe, I think you can techically call her halfsister, or what would you say? The Jefferson Provincial and Culver Empire are my favorite cars in Mafia 2 and Joe was based of Harry in the same game. The conversation of the two guards was based on this and the story about the city underwater, it's the first base my proofreader made, I wanted to give him a surprise with that. And the Japanese attack was based on this, Imagine James is the clone medic at the end and you should get what I mean. The Japanese marines are from the Medal of Honor games that are set in the pacific.