• Published 12th Jul 2012
  • 6,146 Views, 235 Comments

To Love the Changeling Queen - Mightyfinemorning



A Guard Pony realizes that he loves Queen Chrysalis, and seeks her to confess his love.

  • ...
17
 235
 6,146

Chapter 6

Lock On knew very well there were fates worse than death, but he never realized he would face one himself. Chrysalis had nearly succeeded in completely shattering him. His body still functioned, allowing himself to survive with his mind broken, but what was the use of servants without any master to reign over them? It was almost a miracle for Lock On to recover to his current state.

Return to your land. Her last four words stabbed him like a sharp dagger, until he could no longer suffer the psychological pain and felt his mind slipping away.

Nevertheless, the Changeling Queen was also capable of saving him from falling deep into the abyss, whether she liked it or not. She was both his bane and miracle. On the brink of descending into the nothingness that made darkness bright as daylight, Lock On’s mind clung to the name of the Changeling Queen.

Chrysalis, Chrysalis. You rejected me, but saying your name still brings me joy and comfort. The hollow voice echoed inside his empty mind, until a piece of his shattered mind instinctively responded to the call.

He had been cast into oblivion. At least that was how he felt, his mind unable to accept the fact that his near-perfect plan was ruined, ending with the Changeling Queen basically kicking him out of her domain.

But it was definitely an improvement now that he was able to think properly, the process of rebuilding himself having already begun. Climbing the cliff from the bottommost point was an onerous task indeed; knowing he was once at the top standing proudly made it worse, and Lock On still had to remind himself that it was Chrysalis, the one whom he dearly loved, that had effectively kicked him off the cliff, grinning evilly as she saw his downfall.

Love still conquered all, making it possible for Lock On to restore his broken self, to become himself once again. Each mental step he took, each imaginary sweat he toiled, he thought of Chrysalis. It was a psychological process but for him it felt very real, as a broken being often did, failing to realize the boundary between reality and fantasy, drifting hopelessly between the two worlds until one got hold of himself. Failing that, one would be cast into a distorted realm, which was often abound in insanity.

The fact he was still himself convinced Lock On that he was not crazy at all. He was a normal unicorn who just happened to love the Changeling Queen. Completely natural, for following the natural tendency to love could hardly go wrong as the principle governed not only ponies, but Changelings and other races as well.

It took some time, but Lock On eventually opened his eyes again, once more in control of his body. He was able to recognize where he was right now; the same unforgiving desert he had crossed to complete his mission. He had failed miserably. Of that there was no doubt.

He found his hat and bag, as well as a water bottle that was nearly full. That only solved one problem though; finding himself back with all his belongings was never his intention. The bottle was supposed to be empty. He only filled it to an amount that would enable him to cross the desert and reach the Changeling Hive. She would take him, so there should have been no need to worry about returning. But now…

The memories of the last few moments flooded into his fractured mind, reminding him of his failure like a stubborn scar: the Changelings had thrown him at the desert. “Our Queen’s mercy,” they had said, chuckling, before leaving him in the heated sand, disappearing from sight.

It was an unpleasant memory. Many tears were supposed to be shed. It was tragic; the Changeling Queen had declined his offering, ordering her drones to drag him out. What was left for him to do?

For a while, Lock On lay down on the ground, not moving at all, not minding the burning ground nearly searing his fur off. He did not fear the Changelings coming back. That he would have greatly welcomed, as it would only mean one thing: the Changeling Queen was going to take him, which in turn was him taking her, at least from his perspective.

But they were not coming back, and he was on his own.

Chrysalis.

Saying the name still made him feel euphoric, even though she had rejected him for good. According to her, his love was useless, not even fit for her to feast upon. Changelings fed on specific type of love. Had his love been different, the Changeling Queen might have taken him.

For the love of his Lady, his Queen, Lock On took it for granted that he could change. He was ready to shift his love, if the situation required him to do so. Love differently so that Chrysalis can take it, his mind whispered to him, and he faithfully took the advice, ready to carry out the order.

But how? He asked himself. Nopony could teach him how to love in a way that Changelings could digest it. This wasn't a problem for others, but for him it was. The only love he had was ‘obsession,’ as Chrysalis had called it.

It was not like somepony could teach Lock On on different types of love. As far as he could remember, nopony in Equestria had a cutie mark that was directly involved in love. His cutie mark, for instance, told him that his specialty was to target something and be entirely focused upon that. To the newest Royal Guard recruits, he could lecture on how to concentrate effectively (and it was actually part of his job being in the Guard). But there was nopony whose specialty was that on love, and even if one existed, he had no hope of ever reaching that pony.

Well, except one.

The idea shined in the distance, and it was a miracle that he could take it and make as his own. Miracles bestow upon those who fervently follow their dream, Lock On thought. He was given one, and he was not going to miss the opportunity.

How could he have missed it till now? Never mind that; now knowing what he had to do, there was no reason for him to contemplate on his misery. From his half-inanimate state, Lock On sprung to life and began to walk, recovered from his stupor.

Deciding not to love Chrysalis was out of the question, even after considering what had happened. Lock On had no intention of forfeiting his target. The orders were already given to him, and he would not take no for an answer. As the good soldier he was, Lock On knew what he had to do. Die trying—and since he was not dead yet, he was going to keep trying.

Love conquers all, and thus it helps those who fervently seek its embrace.

There was a solution after all. It took time, but he finally had a plan worked out. It was risky, he acknowledged that, but to earn the Changeling Queen’s affection, he was prepared to do anything.

Mi Amore Cadenza, the Princess of Love. She could teach him all about the love he needed to earn Chrysalis’ endearing affection.

Lock On grinned. Perfect.

Sweat began to form in his forehead, but he did not mind. Lock On walked forward, his now rejuvenated brain remembering the way and telling him which trail to follow, urging him to reach Equestria and its Capital City as soon as possible.


“That… is an interesting request.” Shining Armor frowned for a moment.

Being in Shining Armor’s personal quarters always made Lock On feel a bit uncomfortable. Whenever he entered his captain’s room, he couldn't help noticing various medals bestowed to the captain by Princess Celestia herself, each one decorated with a frame and hung throughout all four walls surrounding the place. The captain’s shiny armors and helmets hung beside the proudly displayed badges did little to abate the tense air that a visitor was bound to feel.

Lock On grinned nervously. “Well, I am the only one in my unit who does not have a special somepony… I think I am very bad at this.”

“But my wif- *ahem* -I mean, Princess Cadence can’t suddenly make your wish come true,” Shining Armor said, keeping a straight face which was riddled with confusion and astonishment. “She is Princess of Love, but that doesn’t mean she will instantly provide somepony you love.”

“Yes sir, I acknowledge that.” Lock On forced himself to give a harmless smile. Come on. Please. Just say yes, and I will not bother you, my captain.

“Glad you know. Now I think you’ll understand why I will have to—”

“Oh, that won’t be necessary.”

Shining Amor and Lock On both turned their heads toward the direction the voice came from. At the door stood just who Lock On was looking for, the Princess of Love, Cadence.

“Cadence?” Shining Armor rhetorically asked, informing Lock On that it was indeed the alicorn princess who had just spoken.

Princess Cadence smiled rather mischievously. “It won’t do, darling, turning down a pony who wants to know what love is. I’ve always envied my aunts who could perform their special duty in front of ponies. How wonderful it must be, everypony watching them as they move the Sun and the Moon across the sky, giving others a chance to experience how wonderful both the day and night is.”

“Equestria needs both the Sun and the Moon,” Shining Armor said, fixing his armor lace at the neck, which Lock On thought was quite unnecessary and looked as if he was bidding his time in front of his fiancé. “Besides, how can you perform love? That’s just ridiculous.”

“Oh, ponies need love too. And performing love? Don’t you remember? We already did!” Princess Cadence winked at Shining Armor, instantly making him cough. “And it wouldn’t do well if you chose not to appreciate his effort; as a Royal Guard he did manage to take a number of Changelings when they attacked Canterlot.”

Lock On quietly nodded. Truly, as a Princess of Love, Princess Cadence understood his concern. Love was indeed important.

“But that was for—,” Shining Armor started to protest, but instead shrugged. “Uh, I guess you’re right.” Sighing, he turned to Lock On. “Consider your request granted, soldier. Meet her at her room tomorrow at the same time.”

“Thank you, sir!” Lock On shouted with all the sincerity he had.

“How nice of you! It's always good to help a pony with his or her love problems. See you soon, honey!” Princess Cadence kissed Shining Armor on the cheek, making him blush, taking the most vibrant reddish hue Lock on had ever saw, which was quite a sight to watch.

“See, love is a good feeling to have,” Princess Cadence added. Before leaving the room, she winked at Shining Armor.

“Yes, yes. Very well. Ahem. You are dismissed, Lock On.” Asserting now non-existent authority as the Captain of the Royal Guard, Shining Armor almost pushed Lock On out with his stern glare.


How he suddenly found himself in Princess Cadence’s reception chamber, Lock On could not quite understand, at least not with his dazed state. He had merely followed the call, probably telling himself that it was essential that he locate Princess Cadence’s room immediately.

When he entered the room, the first thing he noticed was the sweet aroma filling the place. While not as heavenly as the scent Chrysalis used, the smell was soothing, calming his agitated mind. The room was an adequate size, enough to hold four to five ponies without leaving a significant amount of empty space. At the center of the room was Princess Cadence, along with several comfy cushions.

“Lock On, right?” Princess Cadence said, seated on one cushion. Her benevolent gaze also had a soothing effect on Lock On, making him feel relaxed. “Please, have a seat. Today you come as my guest, and it’s my duty to greet my guests with all the amenities I can provide.”

“Thank you, your highness.” Accepting the cushion, Lock On nodded, her caring tone continuing to lift his dampened spirit.

Still, he did not forget Chrysalis’ malicious grin. It was what made him come here in the first place. Princess Cadence’s smile was by no means not divine, lifting up the weariest spirit, but it was nothing compared to that of the Changeling Queen.

“So… you love somepony, right?”

“Yes.”

“Good. Before we begin, let me remind you that I can’t just make that special somepony like you. Please, disregard those who say I brainwash ponies to fall in love just for fun. Love has to be a mutual feeling. It’s not meant to be tempered with magic. What I do is helping others to express their feeling, so that they can love better.”

“Of course.”

“Shall we begin? First, who is this pony you love?”

Lock On fidgeted his hooves, thinking how to best proceed. “The pony I love… is the most exquisite being I have ever seen. Saying she is beautiful is not enough. She is like, I mean, she is a goddess.” Saying that he loved the Changeling Queen in front of Princess Cadence was probably not a prudent action, especially after what she had done to her.

Princess Cadence held a surprised expression. “Oh? A goddess?”

“Not a real one, but that is how I feel. Looking at her, I feel I have to worship her,” he quickly replied. It was true, however; she was the Changing Queen after all. Changelings were blessed beings, having the honor to serve under her. To them, she was their goddess. “But I am afraid my love will not do. You see, I actually talked to her…”

“What did she say?”

“She said my love was… an obsession.” Lock On sighed. Of this part, he had to tell the truth. He had to learn from his mistake, and he had to acknowledge that he had failed. It did not mean the end of the world, but it meant that he needed to better prepare himself.

“Obsession?”

“Yes.” So far, so good. Lock On’s heart was practically pounding now. “I really do not understand… I just really want her. And that is good, right? I wish to give myself entirely to her… What is wrong with that?”

After some time, Princess Cadence spoke., “For one thing, you will scare her.” Her horn glowed as she picked up another cushion with her magic. “Let’s suppose I really love you and want you to take a seat by giving you this cushion. Nothing wrong, right?”

“Right.”

“But what if you don’t want to? Maybe you have a really important appointment. Should I still force you to stay and take a seat? Is that right?”

“I guess… not?” Lock On answered cautiously, scanning the princess’ expression. “Because I might not like it?”
Princess Cadence smiled. “Exactly. Which is why you should think of your loved one’s feelings when you express your love. Affection can turn into a dangerous emotion if not tended properly. You will have to remember that this pony whom you are loving is not an object, but a pony like you who does not necessarily act as you expect her to.”

Lock On again nodded.

“Therefore, it may help that you consider your special somepony’s feelings. That applies to all other things as well, but in love it is especially important. Loving can be done by one, but love has to be achieved by two.”

“So… is that the reason why Changelings cannot love as we ponies do?” Lock On asked, wondering if his sudden question would rouse the Princess’ suspicion. I have to take some risk, Lock On reminded himself.

As expected, Cadence’s look faltered a little. “Hmm… yes. It's sad, really, those creatures having to feed upon others’ love. As a result, they need to change their shape to confuse their victims, which was what Chrysalis did to my dear Shining. When I first heard these Changelings needed love, I never expected them to be like that. But why do you ask such a question?”

Lock On maintained his innocent smiling expression. “Um, the more the better. I want to learn what exactly love is so that I can find my special somepony. I know it sounds funny, but…”

“Of course not!” To his relief the Princess did not immediately burst out laughing or look confused like most of his colleagues and superiors had when he first told the plan to them. “Love is not like a mathematical formula, but it certainly helps to have the right attitude. Ponies shouldn’t ever feel ashamed if they don’t know how to love. They need to learn, that’s all.” Princess Cadence’s eyes beamed. “And being the Princess of Love, I can become your teacher. That’s why you came here in the first place, right?”

“Without a doubt.”

“Good. If you don’t mind, shall we begin our next step immediately?”

“Next step?”

Princess Cadence grinned. “Yes. Next step. I'll help you achieve your goal. It’s my pleasure to make others experience the wonderful feeling of love.”

“Thank you again, your highness.” Lock On bowed down, this time in full earnest rather than from learned behavior.

“So, where were we?” Princess Cadence said, as she placed her hoof on her forehead. “Let me think… hmm… just a second, Lock On.”

This is it, Lock On thought. He could learn how to love, as his captivator had justly demanded of him. The plan was simple: learn to love, love somepony, and then go to the Changeling Queen once again so that she could change into the pony he loved, and then profit for both him and the Changeling Queen.

Some could question him, saying ‘but how can you love Chrysalis and then your special somepony?’

They had obviously never met Chrysalis, Lock On told himself. For her, I could love another for the sake of loving her, because for her I could do anything.

Chrysalis, Chrysalis, I still hold your name in veneration, because I cannot help it.

You said my love was obsession. I can change. I WILL change. Just wait.

I will come back, and give my love. You will give yours in return. You WILL.

Because the story of my love was never a tragedy to begin with; I will make sure of that.

I am firmly locked on to you, and there is no way that this lock between you and I will ever be broken.

You rejected me; even that I take gladly, because I know I WILL devise another way to get back to you, until you accept me.

I love you, Chrysalis, and you WILL do the same.