• Published 7th Jul 2017
  • 5,738 Views, 351 Comments

Spider-Man: Web of Magic - MetalJrock



Peter Parker must juggle being a normal teenager, Spider-Man, and a mentor when threats appear from the woodworks.

  • ...
18
 351
 5,738

Issue #27: Partners in Crime-Fighting

The Solar Eclipse wandered into the room Mysterio vanished into, following the trail of smoke. The room itself was surprisingly large and filled with props of various sizes, no doubt meant for future endeavors against her and Spider-Man whatever that may be. Sunset noted that it was way too much work for what she thought was a low level crook. She clenched a fist and shouted, “Show yourself, Mysterio! You threatened my friend so I think it’s fair that I end this plot of yours!” her voice echoed as she made this declaration.

“Well well, you’ve got guts, Solar Eclipse.” Mysterio shouted, appearing in a puff of smoke. But that wasn’t all. Multiple duplicates appeared around him, all of them smugly crossing their arms at the heroine. “Did you expect this little meeting? One against multiple Mysterios?”

Sunset opened a palm and emitted her aura, “One of you is the real deal. Looks like I’ll have to figure out which one myself.”

One of the Mysterios charged forward. Sunset ducked below his fist and shot him with a sphere of magic, causing him to vanish. “Huh. Guess you weren’t the real one, but there’s still more where that came from.” she huffed and kicked back another Mysterio before spinning her body and driving her foot into his hip, making him disappear next. Another Mysterio jumped in with a sword. Sunset blocked it with her magic and shot a small beam out of her hands, pushing the fake Mysterio back lightly. It too vanished in smoke.

A Mysterio appeared behind Sunset and pinned her arms back, allowing another one of the clones to punch her in the stomach. She spat and coughed, losing her breath. She managed to drive both of her legs onto the assaulting fake and opened her hands and blasted apart the two clones. ‘They just keep coming. I don’t know how long I can keep this up…’ the Solar Eclipse thought, wondering if the real Mysterio was even among the fakes. More came after her and she was readying herself to continue.

Sunset then punched one right in the helmet, this time resulting a small crack. Mysterio shouted, “No! You cannot do this to Mysterio!” he put his hands to where the cracks where and released more smoke and in doing so revealed more fakes for the Solar Eclipse to fight.

‘So that helmet is important. Maybe that’s how he’s conjuring up all this. That’s my priority then.’ Sunset realized. She found seven Mysterios going after her at the same time now. She inhaled and created an aura around her, causing the fakes to be pushed back slightly. Two of them came forward and attacked her, one of them uppercutting her. Much to the Solar Eclipse’s surprise, the fake was surprisingly strong and launched her into the air. She got her bearings and used her magic to aim a beam directly at the fakes who attacked her, making them vanish in an instant.

The heroine landed thanks to her powers and she focused her attention back at the fakes attacking her. One of them wielded another sword and swung at Sunset. She punched the Mysterio trying to slice her apart and followed up with a volt of magic to finish him. ‘Where’s the real Mysterio now?’ the Solar Eclipse wondered. With a flick of her wrist, Sunset turned another fake into nothing.

A Mysterio managed to run up and kick Sunset, making her roll on the floor. She pressed her hands on the floor and pushed herself upward. He cackled at his feat, but was caught off guard by Solar Eclipse performing a sweep kick and making him trip. Sunset aimed her fist at his helmet, but he vanished like all the others. Sunset sighed in exasperation, trying to figure out where the real deal was.

Sunset created a barrier and launched back the remaining clones. Curiously, the last Mysterio teleported from sight and reappeared once it faded. It was then the Solar Eclipse realized she found the real villain.


Spider-Man mustered as much energy as he could to drive back the robots. “You know guys… I’m extremely tired…” he muttered, “but then again you are robots so it’s not like you’re gonna care about my whining…” he punched a robot and shot a web-line at another, yanking its head off. “Luckily there’s so few of you to deal with so this should be a piece of…” he threw the head in the air, “...cake.” he panted.

Peter kicked another robot and tore apart its arm, swinging it like a baseball to a robot still in one piece. It hit a wall and bounced off, trying to readjust itself but was unable to because of Peter’s foot. The wallcrawler grunted and felt sweat under his mask. ‘This is gonna smell for weeks now…’ he groaned in his head. He threw the arm he was holding aside and went back to focusing on the robots. Due to his exhaustion, he was unable to dodge as fast as he normally could and as a result took a punch to the face.

He raised his mask slightly and spat on the floor. “Well then.” said Spider-Man. He adjusted his mask and decked the robot’s head, knocking it clean off with ease. “Heh. Guess I’ll consider that venting.”

Peter gave one of the robots a right hook, his body almost leaning too far from exhaustion. He took a sudden step forward to fix himself and stood straight. “Man, they make trashing robots look easy in games and cartoons. Then again… it’s not like those characters are capable of exhaustion.” he punched the robot again and drove his foot onto its legs, kicking it down.

Oil dripped from his costume at this point, but Spider-Man was too busy fighting to stay awake to care. He crushed the bot’s head underneath his foot. His Spider-Sense warned him of another bot trying to strike him while he wasn’t looking. The webslinger shrugged, “...Seriously?” he attempted a backflip and landed on the robot’s shoulders, punching the metal being before using his strength to toss it at the wall, webbing it up and sticking it there before yanking out the now exposed wires. Peter noticed that these were surprisingly fragile.

There was one more robot left standing. Peter leaned back and held his arm. He grunted and kicked it, making it fall on its back. Spider-Man panted before driving his foot down on its torso, short-circuiting it.

Spider-Man noticed something was off about the dent on the wall from when he threw the robot there. Curious, he pressed a hand on it, noticing that something was hidden. He reeled his fist back and punched it, feeling blood drip from his knuckles. ‘Even with super strength, this stuff is still a pain to punch through.’ he mused, shaking his sore hand.

Then Peter noticed it was an opening. He broke apart what he could and kicked back the material, revealing a small room with monitors attached to the walls. Sitting on the single chair was a man eating a donut while listening to music. Peter cleared his throat to get his attention and shot a web ball at one of the screens. The man flinched and turned around, his eyes widening at the sight of Spider-Man standing before him looking unhappy.

“Oh crap.”

Peter then recognized the man, “You…” he hissed. Spider-Man marched forward. “I remember you. You ran off after Toomes and Schultz unmasked me! It’s about time I turned you in.”

“L-Listen man, I gotta make a living!” Phineas pleaded.

Punching a monitor, Spider-Man said, “And I like living. But after working for Vulture and Shocker, you decide to work for Mysterio? You supervillain lot can be pretty damn stupid.”

Mason gulped, “No one would hire me except Mysterio. I’m not a supervillain, I-I just tinker with their stuff ya know?”

Peter webbed his mouth shut before he could get another word out. “Tell it to Captain Wantanabe. Normally I’d have some quip ready but after what you two did, I’m pissed off to do that.” he said before webbing up Phineas’ arms and legs. He dusted off his hands and thought, ‘Ngh… okay… Not gonna lie that kinda woke me up. I think I can help Sunset before I collapse from exhaustion.’

Taking a step forward, Spider-Man paused, “Okay… maybe not…”

Then he fell.

“This might take a minute or two…”


“You cannot make a mockery of Mysterio and get away with it!” Mysterio announced, conjuring up lassos to keep Sunset at bay. They twisted around the Solar Eclipse’s arms, preventing her from using any spells to counter it. “Face it, Solar Eclipse, Mysterio is your true superior in the arcane arts. You and your webbed friend cannot hope to stop me.”

Sunset shouted and shot a beam out of her hand, forcing the rope to release. She punched Mysterio’s helmet with an aura covering her fist, cracking the dome a little more this time. “I would say your arrogance reminded me of someone I know, but I think Spider-Man already made that quip.” she joked.

An aura surrounded Mysterio’s hand and he reared it back. Sunset tried to block it with her magic, but his fist broke through, decking the Solar Eclipse directly on the cheek, leaving a small red mark. Sunset shook her head as Mysterio spoke, “Did you think Mysterio was a one-trick pony, Solar Eclipse? Mysterio is capable of breaking through your novice-level magic.”

The Solar Eclipse frowned as she rubbed the sore spot on her face, “I take slight offense to one of those retorts, so I’m just gonna pretend you didn’t say that.” she got into a fighting stance, “And you think I only have novice-level magic? Buddy, I studied it more in a few years than you have in your entire life.”

“Then prove it, Solar Eclipse!”

Sunset grinned mischievously, “With pleasure.”

Mysterio vanished in a puff of smoke, Sunset’s eyes wandered about, searching for her opponent. A loud yell got her attention and she turned around, forming a barrier in front of her to block the magician’s fist aiming right towards her. Cracks formed around the shield Sunset was holding out and she tried her best to push the Master of Illusion away from her to get a hit in.

The barrier broke apart, catching the Solar Eclipse off guard. Sunset lowered her head as swift as she could to dodge Mysterio’s aura-covered fist and kicked his armored leg. This managed to get Mysterio to lower his head, allowing the Solar Eclipse to give the magician a magic-enhanced punch to the dome covering his head again.

More cracks formed on it. This time a bright light was visible from where they were placed. “Grah! I have had it with you so-called magician! It is time you and the other heroes bowed to your ruler!”

The Solar Eclipse held Mysterio’s fist in her hand and lowered his arm. “Yeah… sure we will.” she quipped.

Opening his palm, Mysterio surrounded Sunset’s body in a bright green aura. She was no longer able to move. “You most definitely will. Once I destroy you I will eliminate Spider-Man and the rest of the heroes in this city! All will know the name Mysterio!”

The Solar Eclipse gritted her teeth as she tried to fight Mysterio’s magic to no avail and then coughed. She was launched backwards and fell on her back. “Ah, I see you’re getting falling under the very same effects as Spider-Man.” Mysterio brandished another blade to strike down his enemy, “Perhaps Mysterio won’t repeat the same mistake of letting you continue to oppose me.”

Sunset raised a finger and managed to get a small beam to catch Mysterio off guard. The aura faded and she performed a sweep kick to trip Mysterio. Sunset stood up and was ready to strike again.

Performing another vanishing spell, Mysterio left a trail to trap the Solar Eclipse. The hero knew better, but noticed two beams of light looming behind her. With her pupils widening in surprise, she saw a train heading right for her. She created a force field as thick as she could once she realized there was no way she could move in time. The hero closed her eyes, ready to deal with more pain.

But then… nothing happened. Curious, the Solar Eclipse opened her eyes and noticed that the train was passing right through her. Sunset lowered her shield and looked at the active projector and shot a beam of magic at it, destroying it. “I guess some old habits don’t die after all.”

Sunset ran in the direction she saw Mysterio’s smoke trail lead. It was behind another large door and she kicked it down, finding Mysterio trying to make an escape. “I’m done playing these showman games, Mysterio. You’re going behind bars where you belong.”

The Master of Illusion attempted to getaway, but Sunset used her magic to propel herself forward with one hand and enhance her other hand to break through more of Mysterio’ helmet, “Wait! No!”

Mysterio tried to deflect as best as he could, but the Solar Eclipse kicked him and made him lean onto a table with the force of her attack. He attempted to throw another punch, but the hero slammed his arm down. Sunset jabbed Mysterio’s helmet and it began to cover his head in more of that bright purple. “Please, stop! You cannot do this to Mysterio-!”

The Solar Eclipse one last punch to the dome. The bright light covered the entire head region of Mysterio at last, the dome no longer able to hold itself together.

Meanwhile, Peter managed to reach the room only to be greeted by an explosion of light. He pushed the pain aside and sprinted to where it came from, hoping the worst didn’t happen. He shielded his eyes from it and knelt down, succumbing to his exhaustion once again. “Eclipse…?!”

“I’m right here, Spidey.” Sunset assured.

The light faded, and Sunset was pinning down the now unmasked Mysterio. Peter’s lenses narrowed as he took a moment to examine the person. Finally his identity popped in his head, “Hold up… You’re Quentin Beck.”

Beck snarled at the heroes, “Indeed I am. But you will never see me again.” he tried to use his magic, but nothing happened, “Ah ha!” nothing happened again. “What the hell?”

The Solar Eclipse smirked, “That helmet was the source of your magic. You’ll be stuck using gags and illusions now.”

“Not like you’ll be needed them in the slammer… I just have to ask… why?” Peter asked.

Beck sighed, “Why do you think? No one wants to watch a magician anymore… I needed a new way to bring attention to me. What better way than to become one of the many supervillains. My initial target was you, but your friend got in the way of that. I planned to record your downfall so that I can establish myself as a threat to anyone who opposes-“

Spider-Man webbed up his mouth, “That’s all we needed to hear. You just like hearing yourself talk, huh?”

“Captain Wanantabe is gonna love seeing these recordings.” Solar Eclipse said to the now silent Beck.


Peter and Sunset watched the police arrest Beck and Mason from a rooftop not too far away. The former sat down and sighed, “So… your first solo supervillain defeat, huh?” he asked. Sunset could just hear his grin.

Sunset shrugged, “I guess.”

“You stopped an actual magic user... You have to admit that’s pretty cool.” Peter insisted to his friend.

“Yeah you’re right.” Sunset admitted,

Peter quipped, “Pretty soon you won’t even need me as a mentor at the rate you’re going.”

Sunset waved a hand, “Trust me, I still have a lot to learn.”

“Well you’re a fast learner; at school, with magic, and now Solar Eclipsing.” Peter complimented.

Sunset smiled, “Thanks, Pete. That… actually means a lot coming from you.”

“No prob— Ach!” Peter yelped, feeling his body tense up with each movement.

Sunset wrapped an arm around his shoulder to keep him standing, “We should get you back to your apartment before you collapse.”

“Good… idea.” Peter agreed.


“Peter!”

The boy was immediately greeted by a tight hug from his aunt, who was shedding tears upon finding her nephew safe and sound. Peter returned the hug, “I-I’m fine, Aunt May. A little sore... but it’s nothing a good night’s rest can’t solve.”

Ending the hug, May looked at her nephew, “You aren’t fine, Peter. You were just held captive for a full weekend!”

“I was… wasn’t I? Sorry to make you worry like that…” Peter apologized.

“You don’t need to apologize, Pete.” May assured, “I just… You being Spider-Man, to think that one day you won’t come home and it nearly happens…”

Peter gave his aunt a soft smile, “Well if I’m nowhere to be found, you can at least know I have someone watching my back.” he looked at Sunset, who gave a nervous grin.

May looked at Sunset, “I knew you’d find him. Thank you so much for saving him, Sunset.”

“You’re welcome, Mrs. Parker. I know that I’ll have his back and he’ll have mine. It’s what friends do after all.”

“Well you are a great friend, Sunset. And a good hero in your own right.” May said.

Sunset raised a brow, “Are you sure?”

“You not only earned Peter’s trust, but you saved his life. That’s more than enough reason to believe that.” May eased.

Sunset rubbed her neck, “Wow, uh… Thank you, Mrs Parker.”

“You’re welcome. Now I believe the two of you should get some sleep.”

Peter yawned, “Good idea actually.”

Sunset agreed, “I should get going now that you mention it. Thanks again for being on standby, Mrs Parker.” she said as she walked out the door.

“Anything to help you and Peter. I hope you get some well-deserved rest Sunset.” May said before closing the door. Sunset yawned as she left, thinking back on the exhausting adventure she had, and the fact that the girls were never going to believe this story.

Author's Note:

Next Time: Taking a day off from school to recover, Peter decides to make up for lost time: Sleep, take photos, patrol, and have an important discussion at Sugarcube Corner.